Will We Keep The Final Four Streak Alive This Year? | The Boneyard

Will We Keep The Final Four Streak Alive This Year?

Reaction Score
This invites a lot of analysis of our team and other teams but I will simply focus on us. We have several unknowns this year. The contributions of Lou Two, the development of AE, the recoveries of Dorka and Caroline, the anticipated emergence of Azzi as the best shooting and scoring guard in the country, the offensive evolution of Nika and for me, a real key is the extent of Aubrey's participation and play. Then an additional question is what will Amari and our two freshmen bring to the table? Many questions but there will be tremendous team chemistry this year and real leaders in Nika, Dorka and I think Azzi and Caroline.

Last year's NC game appearance was miraculous considering what we went through and one of Geno's greatest coaching jobs ever, if not his best. One of the immutable facts in the analysis is that Paige's injury was pre-season so the coaches and team have a long time to adjust and plan. I have seen Geno's teams transform themselves every February and players go through an individual metamorphosis of their own as well simultaneously. I see no reason why this year will be different.

We are going to have a lot of speed bumps along the way, maybe several losses, but March is all that matters. If we stay healthy, I see high level offense from Azzi, Caroline and Dorka and I see AE emerging as a true multi dimensional power player with a much improved inside game. We will play strong defense from the beginning of the season because that will be the key due to the loss of Paige's contributions on many levels. I think all our players know what they need to do now and how much harder they have to work both personally and as a team. It comes down to staying healthy and the other immutable fact in the analysis which is that we have Geno and CD. For me, that tips the scales.

I think that with sober optimism, the answer is that the streak stays alive.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In another thread I suggested that outside of SC, there doesn’t appear to be a team in WBB that I would consider to be a “lock” for the FF. That leads me to the conclusion that UConn’s talented roster, even without Paige, under the best coaching staff in WBB will make it back to yet another FF this coming season. My only caveat, as always, is that players need to remain healthy for the Big Dance.

Reaction Score
Very few teams in the country can lose a Paige Beckers type player and still make the final four and UCONN is one of them. UCONN is still loaded and barring any other key injuries I fully expect them to make the final four.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
The talent is definitely there...UCONN still has a slew of former top 5 kids (Azzi Fudd #1, Ducharme #5, Brady #5, Patterson #4) plus Edwards/Juhasz who have both shown great ability prior to last season). The team is obviously better with Bueckers but it does force other players to step up in larger roles. I'd still consider them a Final Four favorite, though it doesn't feel like a "lock" like it has the last decade (excluding the 2020 season)

A key factor worth pointing out is that UCONN will not be in the north east for regionals this year. During the past decade UCONN has played in front of a home crowd atmosphere in every regional besides 2014 (when they had one of the best teams of all time) and 2021 (the infamous Baylor game). This year they'll have to win far from home (in South Carolina or Seattle) to advance.

Reaction Score
Great question. To be honest, who really knows. There are so many question marks this year. I think the key(s) will be: How well skill development goes, how well the players & coaches adapt to whatever offensive and defensive system that is installed, how well players trust each other and the coaching staff, and how healthy each player really is. Not the "I am good coach" and can barely run or stand. I mean cleared medically. We will never know on our end but in order to reach the FF again, we will need players healthy, trusting each other, being able to do their jobs and playing their best.

Reaction Score
In another thread I suggested that outside of SC, there doesn’t appear to be a team in WBB that I would consider to be a “lock” for the FF. That leads me to the conclusion that UConn’s talented roster, even without Paige, under the best coaching staff in WBB will make it back to yet another FF this coming season. My only caveat, as always, is that players need to remain healthy for the Big Dance.
I do not believe any team has a lock on FF, however I do feel the highest probability for the FF includes SC, UConn, Texas, and Stanford. Just my opinion today but some many thing can happen that I just do not see a guarantee for any team to make FF.

Reaction Score
I'll just take a moment to channel a few dozen of our fellow BYers: "How can we possibly know this. Only Geno can see this far into the future. Speculation is impossible and immoral."

Now that's out of the way, I'll join the others on this thread and say, yes, if certain chances break our way. First, no more injuries. Second, if the Freshmen and Amari step up. Third, if Nika develops her confidence on offense. Fourth, if Aubrey returns to her old form.

If that stuff goes our way, I think we will make the final four this year.

To win an NC will require something more, however, something Paige-like from someone. That someone may have to be Azzi, though Caroline or Aaliyah may be able to provide this magic too.

Reaction Score
I think that depends on tournament seeding and matchups. South Carolina, Stanford, Texas, Tennessee, Louisville, Iowa, and UConn all look like contenders for a 1-seed. Notre Dame, North Carolina, and Virginia Tech could challenge as well if one of them can emerge as the clear-cut ACC champion (unlikely given the congestion of talent).

If UConn is a 2-seed and ends up in SC or Stanford’s bracket, I think it’s doubtful the streak continues. If they end up against Texas or Tennessee though, those would be teams UConn already has experience facing. I think it really just depends, as always. I think until the streak is broken, UConn can’t be counted out.

I think a UConn title this year would be the most surprising victor since Texas A&M won in 2011, but UConn teams also seldom underachieve.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I do not believe any team has a lock on FF, however I do feel the highest probability for the FF includes SC, UConn, Texas, and Stanford. Just my opinion today but some many thing can happen that I just do not see a guarantee for any team to make FF.
Barring an injury to Boston I'd be very surprised if SC didn't make the Final Four, especially considering regionals will be at home for them.

Reaction Score
I think that depends on tournament seeding and matchups. South Carolina, Stanford, Texas, Tennessee, Louisville, Iowa, and UConn all look like contenders for a 1-seed. Notre Dame, North Carolina, and Virginia Tech could challenge as well if one of them can emerge as the clear-cut ACC champion (unlikely given the congestion of talent).

If UConn is a 2-seed and ends up in SC or Stanford’s bracket, I think it’s doubtful the streak continues. If they end up against Texas or Tennessee though, those would be teams UConn already has experience facing. I think it really just depends, as always. I think until the streak is broken, UConn can’t be counted out.

I think a UConn title this year would be the most surprising victor since Texas A&M won in 2011, but UConn teams also seldom underachieve.
Let's play ball. There have been other season when I thought that they would not reach the Final Four. Even last year I had doubts at times. But we have a core of very good players. Yes you mentioned some awesome teams here. But lets see if they can go a whole year without all but two players being injured at times or lost for the season.

Dawn and Tara will have their groups there at the end. Geno, Jeff, Kellie, Kim and Vic will fight it out for the other two openings. Good luck everyone.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A number of posters reference Stanford as a FF team this coming season. While Stanford is certainly a top team, with one of the best and deepest frontcourts in WBB, following the graduation of Wilson & the Hull sisters, the Cardinal has almost no experience at guard.

Haley Jones may be the best point forward in the country. But without experienced guards to spread the floor on offense and pressure opposing team’s backcourts on defense, Stanford’s road to another FF is hardly assured.

Reaction Score
Certainly the biggest question marks for SC and Stanford involve guards, but they have options there. They may not be great, but pretty good to go with awesome frontcourt talent. Boston and Brinks are outstanding and both teams have arguably the best backup C's in college basketball, both 6-7 that can occasionally team with Boston or Brinks for a twin tower look.

Going into this season I thought there were three teams that were head and shoulders above the rest, those two and us. After the Paige injury, we are no longer in that class, but perhaps can be part of the next tier of 4 or 5 teams competing for likely the last two final four spots. It's doable for sure and we might get a number one seed, or be a 2 seed that might need a mild upset in the elite 8 to make it.

Thats the way I see it anyway.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Wait, are you talking about the team with Nika?
She'll remove all their will to win. There was an episode of Kung in which some outlaw was described as "so mean he can peel a potato at 20 yards just by hatin' it." I can't imagine Nika hatin' but I could see her peeling a potato at 20 yards by outcompeting it.

Reaction Score
Just to be clear about Brink, she is a significant talent on D and on O. But her O last year depended very much on having "a clean lane" (i.e. with no double teams). As every TV commentator on Stanford games invariably observes, other teams can't double team Brink because of their perimeter shooting threats. Well, they don't have the same perimeter threats this year. I think Brink will still be really good. But she's going to have to adjust her game for all the double teams she's going to face this year. Can she manage it? Maybe. I don't know, but every time someone raises a similar question about the Huskies, all I hear is pessimism masquerading as "realism." I'm tired of fake realism.

And for anyone who wants to mention all of Stanford's height, I say, sure, let them put all the bigs in at once and other teams will run circles around them. Sorry, but twin towers only works if you have speedy shooters on the perimeter. You can play that lineup if you have Jen Risotti or Caroline Doty, or Moriah Jefferson and Kia Nurse out there. Otherwise, your team is just slow.

Reaction Score
It really is a great question. I hope so?!lol. I love @GoChips20 post because it raises a lot of points that somewhat get overlooked or r disputed. Like does seeding matter? A lot of ppl say it doesn't but I agree that it does. Second point that I liked from the post is that the field matters. I'm most excited to watch UConn but I'm also excited to watch other programs this season. I think other teams are just as talented as uconn without Paige

UConnSCStanfordTexasIowaIowa StateLouisville UNCNotre Dame
NikaRaven Johnsonindya?Rori HarmonMolly Davis Emily RyanChrislyn CarrK.McphersonOlivia Miles
Azzi Zia CookeHannah JumpSonya MorrisCaitlin Clark Lexi DonarskiHailey Van LithDeja KellyDara Mabrey
CD33Bre BealHailey JonesShaylee GonzalesKate MartinMorgan KanePeyton VAlyssa UstbySonia Citron
AEVSCameron BrinkAaliyah MooreMcKenna WarnockAshley JoensMorgan JonesKTWMaddy Westbeld
DorkaA.BostonFran/Lauren BettsTaylor JonesMonika CzinanoStephanie SoaresOlivia CochranA PooleKylee Watson

Reaction Score
It really is a great question. I hope so?!lol. I love @GoChips20 post because it raises a lot of points that somewhat get overlooked or r disputed. Like does seeding matter? A lot of ppl say it doesn't but I agree that it does. Second point that I liked from the post is that the field matters. I'm most excited to watch UConn but I'm also excited to watch other programs this season. I think other teams are just as talented as uconn without Paige

UConnSCStanfordTexasIowaIowa StateLouisvilleUNCNotre Dame
NikaRaven Johnsonindya?Rori HarmonMolly DavisEmily RyanChrislyn CarrK.McphersonOlivia Miles
AzziZia CookeHannah JumpSonya MorrisCaitlin ClarkLexi DonarskiHailey Van LithDeja KellyDara Mabrey
CD33Bre BealHailey JonesShaylee GonzalesKate MartinMorgan KanePeyton VAlyssa UstbySonia Citron
AEVSCameron BrinkAaliyah MooreMcKenna WarnockAshley JoensMorgan JonesKTWMaddy Westbeld
DorkaA.BostonFran/Lauren BettsTaylor JonesMonika CzinanoStephanie SoaresOlivia CochranA PooleKylee Watson
I love this chart. It really puts things into focus. Reading horizontally along the rows, it looks to me like at pg our primary competition is Harmon and Miles.
At sg the competition is Clark and Van Lith.
At wing, it's Jones (obviously) and Citron. Gonzalez is more of a 2 than a 3, really.
At pf, I think it's got to be Brink and Joens, though I think it's a mistake to think this is how Tara is going to play Brink. Aaliyah's real matchup against Stanford will be Belibi, who will get more playing time this year (I predict).
At c, I think it's Belibi -- though with the correction above, Dorka will mainly matchup with Brink -- Czinano and Cochran. I leave Boston out, because she's just too good to be considered competition for our bigs at all. Against SC, their job is just to keep her from taking over the game. Let her score 20 with 12 rebounds and shut everything else down.

Once you read the chart this way, I think it's easy to see that we match up really well against our primary competition.

Reaction Score
Outside of South Carolina, I don't see a "lock" for the Final Four. But I see UConn at the top of a list that should have a great shot at getting there. Along with UConn I'll list (in no particular order) Texas, Stanford, Tennessee and (blush) my Louisville Cardinals.

Reaction Score
Texas ?

Reaction Score
Check back in at the beginning of the new year and you'll have a better gauge of the answer

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom