Will We Keep The Final Four Streak Alive This Year? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Will We Keep The Final Four Streak Alive This Year?

Reaction Score
“Texas ?”

Don’t forget - we have Geno, and they have Vic. Remember 2017 Mississippi State 66-64 in OT. That was Vic.

Reaction Score
I'll just take a moment to channel a few dozen of our fellow BYers: "How can we possibly know this. Only Geno can see this far into the future. Speculation is impossible and immoral."

Now that's out of the way, I'll join the others on this thread and say, yes, if certain chances break our way. First, no more injuries. Second, if the Freshmen and Amari step up. Third, if Nika develops her confidence on offense. Fourth, if Aubrey returns to her old form.

If that stuff goes our way, I think we will make the final four this year.

To win an NC will require something more, however, something Paige-like from someone. That someone may have to be Azzi, though Caroline or Aaliyah may be able to provide this magic too.
@Carnac can also see that far

sun

Reaction Score
Tennessee has 16 players on their roster this year including 5 seniors.
Considering injuries, a team can't have too much talent.
It could be one of those years where there's going to be plenty of clashes that will test teams.
Close games will be hard to predict.

Reaction Score
I do not believe any team has a lock on FF, however I do feel the highest probability for the FF includes SC, UConn, Texas, and Stanford. Just my opinion today but some many thing can happen that I just do not see a guarantee for any team to make FF.
I agree. Nothing is guaranteed. That's why they play the games.

Reaction Score
In another thread I suggested that outside of SC, there doesn’t appear to be a team in WBB that I would consider to be a “lock” for the FF. That leads me to the conclusion that UConn’s talented roster, even without Paige, under the best coaching staff in WBB will make it back to yet another FF this coming season. My only caveat, as always, is that players need to remain healthy for the Big Dance.
Question.
If SC lost it’s top player to injury, would it still be a lock to reach the FF?
Just an honest question.
I never want to see any player injured.

Reaction Score
Lots of good posts on this thread. I see it this way at this time in my life as a fan: UConn plays good basketball when they can field a team of healthy players. I am a fan and I like to watch them play. I graduated in 1964 (yikes). The final four is frosting on the cake. Should they arrive at that opportunity, then that is a helluva achievement on their own. The way they got to the championship game last year is a great memory. Competition is tough every year now so it will be fun to watch every game.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Question.
If SC lost it’s top player to injury, would it still be a lock to reach the FF?
Just an honest question.
I never want to see any player injured.
The simple answer is that without Boston SC would not be a lock. But they would still be a very good team capable of making it to the FF, just like UConn.

The other aspect of your hypothetical is when exactly would SC lose Boston? It has been pointed out that Geno and his staff have an entire season to get used to playing without Paige. If Boston were lost right before the tournament, that would be a much different challenge for Dawn and her team to overcome.

Reaction Score
The simple answer is that without Boston SC would not be a lock. But they would still be a very good team capable of making it to the FF, just like UConn.
Just looking at personnel, SC without Boston would look a lot like Syracuse two years ago. They had a pretty good center, an excellent pf and sf in Engstler and Strauthmane, and a good pg. Take coaching into consideration and the similarities seem less important.

Reaction Score
Not sure how you define “grit”. After 38 years, how interesting that one even questions the premise. Win, lose, or draw the Connnecticut Huskies will have “grit”.
As for “streaks”…we had a massive party in Buckley a half-century ago and about 15-20 undergrad Husky (pups) took off every stitch and streaked through the dorm. Not sure if that’s the UConn streak you’re referring to but it might be on Huskygames. Hard tellin’, not knowin’.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lots of good posts on this thread. I see it this way at this time in my life as a fan: UConn plays good basketball when they can field a team of healthy players. I am a fan and I like to watch them play. I graduated in 1964 (yikes). The final four is frosting on the cake. Should they arrive at that opportunity, then that is a helluva achievement on their own. The way they got to the championship game last year is a great memory. Competition is tough every year now so it will be fun to watch every game.
They got to the championship game With Paige carrying them . Without her we dont beat UCF or NC State most likely we give a Georgia Tech performance and lose in the Sweet 16. This year will be a challenge . STay patient and keep the faith .

Reaction Score
They got to the championship game With Paige carrying them . Without her we dont beat UCF or NC State most likely we give a Georgia Tech performance and lose in the Sweet 16. This year will be a challenge . STay patient and keep the faith .
I disagree about UCF. They were way better than that one night against Ga Tech by the tournament. But I agree they'd probably have lost to NC St.

I'm right there with you about keeping the faith.

Reaction Score
I think many here will be surprised when UCONN utilizes a more front court power game this season.
They certainly have the personnel to play that type of game.
When they dominate inside, the guards will be able to play closer in and take higher percentage shots- guards should be able to shoot well over 50% inside the arc.

Reaction Score
I think many here will be surprised when UCONN utilizes a more front court power game this season.
They certainly have the personnel to play that type of game.
When they dominate inside, the guards will be able to play closer in and take higher percentage shots- guards should be able to shoot well over 50% inside the arc.
I will be surprised for sure.

Reaction Score
Front court dominance always depends on effective guard play.

Reaction Score
I think this team has enough pressure heading into the season as it is . If they don't make the final 4 that does not mean they had a bad season . Streaks are meant to end guys , we will forever be recognized as Final 4 Participants for 15-16 years in a row. No one can take that away or match it regardless if they don't make it or not. Do we truly expect UCONN to make the final 4 every year for the rest of mankind ? It's not the end of the world , lets focus on winning the Big East first then take care of the rest afterwards. We are not in a position to be greedy we need to get confident and work out kinks before we make predictions on the end of the world.

Reaction Score
Do we truly expect UCONN to make the final 4 every year for the rest of mankind ?
Yes, absolutely.
We are not in a position to be greedy we need to get confident and work out kinks before we make predictions on the end of the world.
“We” here in the BY are totally in a position to be greedy. This is every fan’s prerogative. Are you under the impression that we’re somehow on the coaching staff?

Reaction Score
It really is a great question. I hope so?!lol. I love @GoChips20 post because it raises a lot of points that somewhat get overlooked or r disputed. Like does seeding matter? A lot of ppl say it doesn't but I agree that it does. Second point that I liked from the post is that the field matters. I'm most excited to watch UConn but I'm also excited to watch other programs this season. I think other teams are just as talented as uconn without Paige

UConnSCStanfordTexasIowaIowa StateLouisvilleUNCNotre Dame
NikaRaven Johnsonindya?Rori HarmonMolly DavisEmily RyanChrislyn CarrK.McphersonOlivia Miles
AzziZia CookeHannah JumpSonya MorrisCaitlin ClarkLexi DonarskiHailey Van LithDeja KellyDara Mabrey
CD33Bre BealHailey JonesShaylee GonzalesKate MartinMorgan KanePeyton VAlyssa UstbySonia Citron
AEVSCameron BrinkAaliyah MooreMcKenna WarnockAshley JoensMorgan JonesKTWMaddy Westbeld
DorkaA.BostonFran/Lauren BettsTaylor JonesMonika CzinanoStephanie SoaresOlivia CochranA PooleKylee Watson

Thanks. Just for fun I'm going to do another 8 as well. Of course these are just guesses on lineups. I do think it shows how tough the field is atleast like the top 12 IMO (SC, Stan, TX, Iowa, Iowa ST, UNC, ND, UofL, AZ, VTech, IU and TN).

UConnTennesseeVTechIndianaArizonaLSUMarylandBaylorOhio State
NikaJasmine PowellGeorgia AmooreSara ScaliaPellingtonFlau'jae JohnaonElisa PinsonJa'Mee AsberryJacy Sheldon
Azzi FuddJordan HorstonA.OwusuGrace BergerLauren Fields/PueyoAlexis MorrisAbby MeyerSara AndrewsTaylor Mikesell
CD33Rickea JacksonKayana TraylorSydney ParrishJade LovilleKateri PooleLavender Briggs
Aijha Blackwell
Rikki Harris
AEJasmine FranklinTaylor SouleAlyssa GearyCate ReeseAngel ReeseDiamond MillerDre'una EdwardsCotie McMahon
DorkaTamari KeyElizabeth KitleyMackenzie HolmesEsmery MartinezHanna GustersAllie KubekCaitlin BickleRebeka Mikulasikova

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom