Will we ever see Gilbert again | The Boneyard

Will we ever see Gilbert again

Reaction Score
It is sad for the kid to keep getting injured. We now are off for 12 days. Besides the usual coach speak, does anyone have insite into the kids condition?

Reaction Score
Hearing slim. Two different sources. Sounds like he is doing nothing to rest to see if it improves before the next game

Reaction Score
Hearing slim. Two different sources. Sounds like he is doing nothing to rest to see if it improves before the next game
You're saying AG is doing nothing to rest it? Is that implying he's ignoring the advice of his doctors?

Reaction Score
Rose was kind of a headcase in addition to his injuries. By all accounts AG is a good guy who's been dealt a tough situation (and hasn't made a dime off his talents)

C

Chief00

This just pains me, we need someone in authority to pull the plug on all this craziness. He won’t reinjury the shoulder not practicing and the pain could be reduced but it’s not how you prepare yourself for a game. I know it’s a terrible outcome missing yet another year - one that no one wants to accept - especially a player, but it’s the only sane thing to do.

Reaction Score
If he has scar tissue. This could be manage with PT/NSAID now and arthroscopic surgery in the off season. He still can play and will take about 3-4 months to rehab post-op. I hope this is the case and its not be a bad scenario at all. Don't think the docs believe that this is a career ending injury if they are not insisting on surgery

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This just pains me, we need someone in authority to pull the plug on all this craziness. He won’t reinjury the shoulder not practicing and the pain could be reduced but it’s not how you prepare yourself for a game. I know it’s a terrible outcome missing yet another year - one that no one wants to accept - especially a player, but it’s the only sane thing to do.
The "someone in authority" is Alterique and his family. Our frustration should have zero effect on their process and decision.

Reaction Score
If he has scar tissue. This could be manage with PT/NSAID now and arthroscopic surgery in the off season. He still can play and will take about 3-4 months to rehab post-op. I hope this is the case and its not be a bad scenario at all. Don't think the docs believe that this is a career ending injury if they are not insisting on surgery

But if he still has instability, it is probably tough to manage through the season, and it is an even more difficult call on another surgery.I think the last surgery was done to address that very issue and if it was unsuccessful, it is easy to lose faith that another surgical procedure will fix the problem.

pj

Reaction Score
If it's bursitis, the likely options are (a) rest and see if the inflammation goes away by itself, or (b) give a cortisone shot to reduce the inflammation and pain, then rest for a while until the shoulder has had time to normalize and can recover its strength (reduced during the post-cortisone period). Either way takes some time and he can't tell if he's going to be OK to play for a while, maybe a month.

They will probably have a read on the situation in 2-3 weeks. If he hasn't recovered and still can't play, he may as well get the surgery done. If he does recover, then he can start practicing, maybe at a reduced workload, and they'll see if the bursitis comes back. If it doesn't then he can up the workload and play.

From KO's point of view, if Alterique is coming back, you may stick with the 3 guard style of play since that's what you'd play a lot if he were healthy. If he's not, you need to put Larrier and Polley at the 3, use the 3 guards 2 at a time, and have 2 big men on court at all times. The Cobb-Diarra experiment against Coppin State suggests KO may be more pessimistic about Alterique's return.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

The "someone in authority" is Alterique and his family. Our frustration should have zero effect on their process and decision.
Don’t agree, if medically it makes no sense to play. A player is suppose to want to play - you need to take the emotion out of it.
Even from the team’s perspective, the uncertainty is a killer as you try to reduce the rotation and settle on a lineup. Quite frankly, and first let me acknowledge many casual fans may not fully appreciate this factor, there is a reason coach’s have practice. Especially, given Gilbert’s shooting ability, he can’t just turn basketball on.

Gilbert is my favorite player on this year’s team so nobody wants to see him in the lineup more than me. But, as always Chief must keep it real.

Last edited by a moderator:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Don’t agree, if medically it makes no sense to play. A player is suppose to want to play - you need to take the emotion out of it.
Even from the team’s perspective, the uncertainty is a killer as you try to reduce the rotation and settle on a lineup. Quite frankly, and first let me acknowledge many casual fans may not fully appreciate this factor, there is a reason coach’s have practice. Especially, given Gilbert’s shooting ability, he can’t just turn basketball on.

Gilbert is my favorite player on this year’s team so nobody wants to see him in the lineup more than me. But, as always Chief must keep it real.

Your act is much more entertaining when you stick to things that are less likely to expose your ignorance.

Reaction Score
Are you saying its slim that we will see him play again? Sorry, was a little confused with the first post and your response, unless you’re referencing something else.

C

Chief00

Your act is much more entertaining when you stick to things that are less likely to expose your ignorance.

The truth can hurt - the casual fan has all these fantasies that AG can basically come back with a bad shoulder, not practice and his timing with the team will be just fine. His shooting, no reason to practice that. Drives down the lane, the contact and falls will have no impact on an unstable shoulder. Message with kindness to the casual fan - it’s competitive basketball not a Harvey Weinstein movie.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The truth can hurt - the casual fan has all these fantasies that AG can basically come back with a bad shoulder, not practice and his timing with the team will be just fine. His shooting, no reason to practice that. Drives down the lane, the contact and falls will have no impact on an unstable shoulder. Message with kindness to the casual fan - it’s competitive basketball not a Harvey Weinstein movie.
Your shtick can hurt when it's clear you're talking out your ass, Harvey. Wanna tell us about Andre and the UConn bitches again, too?

I'm not suggesting that he come back with a bad shoulder. I am stating that whether he comes back this season and what he does with his shoulder will be his decision.

You are suggesting that someone else make those decisions for him because the uncertainty is inconvenient for you and makes you frustrated.

I guess suggesting that you grow up would be equal folly at this point.

C

Chief00

Your shtick can hurt when it's clear you're talking out your ass, Harvey. Wanna tell us about Andre and the UConn bitches again, too?

I'm not suggesting that he come back with a bad shoulder. I am stating that whether he comes back this season and what he does with his shoulder will be his decision.

You are suggesting that someone else make those decisions for him because the uncertainty is inconvenient for you and makes you frustrated.

I guess suggesting that you grow up would be equal folly at this point.

Gilbert shouldn’t come back this season because it’s not in his long term health interest to do so. Yes, the coach needs to guide him to make the right decision not an emotional one.

I have known Andre since he was in junior HS and was the poster who said in August 2011 that he would be enrolling in classes for the Fall semester. You are basically clueless.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom