Will UConn open in the Top 10 in the polls? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Will UConn open in the Top 10 in the polls?

Reaction Score
I think UCONN is underrated at preseason 4. Sure, they lost 3 players, but they still have KLS, Collier, and Dangerfield. That's an incredible 3 right there--strong PG, strong shooter, strong inside player. That makes them a top 3 team imo. Add in Walker, who I think will make a leap into Sophomore year, and 1 other undetermined player, and UCONN should be fine, though the odds they win it all in 2019 are a lot smaller than in previous years. I think they'll have an incredibly limited bench, depending on underclassmen development. CW is the wild card.
I think the only teams better than UCONN next year are Baylor (though they consistently under perform in tournament), Notre Dame obviously (may be undefeated), and maybe Oregon, though I question their ranking at #2, although I'm biased because I don't get to see many west coast teams.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Man, I hope UConn is ranked 11 or 12. Silly of course because they will be ranked top 5, but a nice low ranking will make it sweeter when UConn beats ND. Also it'll be fun watching how NdD handles having the target on their back for a change. Teams tend to wilt under that kind of scrutiny.

I don't know about "for a change" as ND has had a target on its back for a while now, especially within the ACC. I do look forward to the inevitable "what's wrong with ND" posts when ND doesn't have perfect chemistry in November and December and plays some close games. Oh, and the inevitable posts wondering if fame has gone to Arike's head the next time she shoots 5-19 or whatever.

I think as far as UConn and ND, that's one where you can throw rankings out the window. The names on the front of the jersey gives each team all the motivation they need. I'm sure UConn will be especially fired up after Marina's "they're a great team, but we're better" soundbite.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
This is a question that can be answered more easily and intelligently at the end of October. We'll have a better idea of what UConn has going then. We'll know if any of the reserves made the much anticipated "leap" over the summer. We'll also have an idea (through reports we'll get from the media) of the status of the other top ten teams.

Right now, I think Carnac The Magnificent is the only one that could accurately answer this question. But...if I had to guess, I'd say UConn should open the season somewhere between 4-6, keeping in mind that the usual suspects i.e., Notre Dame, Baylor, Texas, Louisville, Miss St, Oregon, and Maryland will return top 10 competitive teams this coming season. We're somewhere in that mix. We all know the talent that was lost to graduation. What we don't know is how much of that production that was lost, will be made up by the reserves and the incoming freshmen.

Some posters have already suggested that freshmen Olivia Nelson-Ododa and Christyn Williams must play significant minutes for Geno this season. We won't know until official practice begins, and we begin to get interviews and reports from the coaching staff and media, who looks good. Who is dominating practice. Who has assumed a leadership role, and which role player appears ready to be promoted to a starting spot.

I agree with charliebball in that I'm more concerned with their ranking at the end of the season than the beginning. There are a lot of fans and coaches that give absolutely zero credence to preseason polls. I always say that we'll be able to discern the contenders from the pretenders after 5 games, except for those top 25 programs that are feasting on a steady diet of "soft and sugary" cupcakes and Twinkies. We won't know how good they are until they play teams that are at or above their skill and talent level.

I'm NOT speculating, but I'm assuming that no one will leave the program this year. If someone did, that could be a mitigating factor. When we have answers to all of these unknowns, it will be easier to formulate an opinion.

Right now, there are too many unknowns.
1. We don't know who the 2 new starters will be.
2. We don't know who the 6th man will be.
3. We don't know if everyone will be healthy to begin the season.
4. We don't know if a graduate transfer (or 2) will drop in their lap this summer.
5. We don't know if ONO and Williams will be able to adapt fast enough to the pace and sophistication of Geno's program (this season) to be of any significant help.

Here's Charlie Cream's way too early top 25 top 8:
1. Notre Dame
2. Oregon
3. Baylor
4. UConn
5. Louisville
6. Stanford
7. Maryland
8. Miss St.

We can select our personal top 10 teams now, and repeat this exercise again in late October after the unknowns become known.

Nice job stopping before having to mention #9 TN. ;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This is a question that can be answered more easily and intelligently at the end of October. We'll have a better idea of what UConn has going then. We'll know if any of the reserves made the much anticipated "leap" over the summer. We'll also have an idea (through reports we'll get from the media) of the status of the other top ten teams.

Right now, I think Carnac The Magnificent is the only one that could accurately answer this question. But...if I had to guess, I'd say UConn should open the season somewhere between 4-6, keeping in mind that the usual suspects i.e., Notre Dame, Baylor, Texas, Louisville, Miss St, Oregon, and Maryland will return top 10 competitive teams this coming season. We're somewhere in that mix. We all know the talent that was lost to graduation. What we don't know is how much of that production that was lost, will be made up by the reserves and the incoming freshmen.

Some posters have already suggested that freshmen Olivia Nelson-Ododa and Christyn Williams must play significant minutes for Geno this season. We won't know until official practice begins, and we begin to get interviews and reports from the coaching staff and media, who looks good. Who is dominating practice. Who has assumed a leadership role, and which role player appears ready to be promoted to a starting spot.

I agree with charliebball in that I'm more concerned with their ranking at the end of the season than the beginning. There are a lot of fans and coaches that give absolutely zero credence to preseason polls. I always say that we'll be able to discern the contenders from the pretenders after 5 games, except for those top 25 programs that are feasting on a steady diet of "soft and sugary" cupcakes and Twinkies. We won't know how good they are until they play teams that are at or above their skill and talent level.

I'm NOT speculating, but I'm assuming that no one will leave the program this year. If someone did, that could be a mitigating factor. When we have answers to all of these unknowns, it will be easier to formulate an opinion.

4. We don't know if a graduate transfer (or 2) will drop in their lap this summer.
5. We don't know if ONO and Williams will be able to adapt fast enough to the pace and sophistication of Geno's program (this season) to be of any significant help.

1. Notre Dame
2. Oregon
3. Baylor
4. UConn
5. Louisville
6. Stanford
7. Maryland
8. Miss St.

We can select our personal top 10 teams now, and repeat this exercise again in late October after the unknowns become known.
I think the answer to #4 is no. If we didn’t get the TAMU kids, I don’t expect we’ll get anyone.

The others require speculation, but I really, really like Christyn and Liv. And the kid from Chesterfield, VA is moving into Megatron Beast Mode.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Geno has more NC's than everyone on this board combined.

There, according to a few on here, that should stop all discussion in this thread. :D

But at least recognize his efforts before saying he doesn't know how to coach anymore, AND only if he wins an NC this year. Another bad year only making it to the final four proves he can't coach anymore :rolleyes:

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
Lost 3 of their best players (essentially 50% of their productivity) to the pros.. Their best player coming back just had major surgery and may not be ready to open the season. Lots of unproven freshman thru junior players. No meaningful transfers coming in. Meanwhile, other top 10 teams have gotten stronger. I'd say UConn is probably the 7th through 12th best team STARTING the season.
Why wouldn't UConn open in the Top 10? Pre-season polls are all about perception. Even with all the losses, UConn has a solid group of core players (with or without KLS), not to mention two of the top recruits in the country. There is also an assumption (fair or not) that Walker will make significant improvements from freshman to sophomore year. Now after the season begins, it will be a fair question and entirely dependent on play on the court...

Last edited:
Reaction Score

1. Notre Dame
2. Oregon
3. Baylor
4. UConn
5. Louisville
6. Stanford
7. Maryland
8. Miss St.

Loooahvul added Diop since this poll. That should only add more weapons.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I believe UConn will start the season ranked in the top 10. Maybe not #2, but not below #5.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I vote for as low a ranking as possible. I agree with a Geno comment, ' I miss beating teams we weren't supposed to beat." Love to be the underdog (underhuskey?)

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
This is a question that can be answered more easily and intelligently at the end of October.

Thank you for answering the poster's query in civil and intelligent manner. I like and agree with your response.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Why be rude, ignorant, and unkind? I ask you and all who liked your response. Despite your words to the contrary, you did mean offense.

Why be rude, ignorant, and unkind? I ask you and all who liked your response.

I didn't "like" either of these posts (I should probably go back and do that).

I'll ask you, why ask dumb, stupid questions? And why complain when that is pointed out?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I don't know about "for a change" as ND has had a target on its back for a while now, especially within the ACC. I do look forward to the inevitable "what's wrong with ND" posts when ND doesn't have perfect chemistry in November and December and plays some close games. Oh, and the inevitable posts wondering if fame has gone to Arike's head the next time she shoots 5-19 or whatever.

I think as far as UConn and ND, that's one where you can throw rankings out the window. The names on the front of the jersey gives each team all the motivation they need. I'm sure UConn will be especially fired up after Marina's "they're a great team, but we're better" soundbite.
To be sure. However I recall a line in the 1959 western movie "Rio Bravo" (one of my favorite John Wayne westerns). John Wayne's character "Chance" told Dean Martin's character "Dude"the following: "Talking don't get it done Dude". I think that quote can be applied here.

Talking (wishing, wanting and hoping) don't/won't get it done. UConn wanted to win the last game they played too, they didn't. If they want to beat Notre Dame or anyone else, they have to go out and do two things........get buckets, and make stops. If they can do that, everything else will take care of its self. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
under dog.jpeg

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I agree..the lower the expectations the more fun it will be..I have already warned our ND friends that winning the NC means everybody is doubly out to get you.....and even though their team looks far better on paper, sometimes it's hard to recreate that chemistry that came with the hardships they endured last season....

I agree, and no doubt ND welcomes the challenge of being #1. They return all of their injured players from a year ago.
Add the retuning players along with the injured players, add to that the incoming freshmen (Gilbert, Nixon, Cosgrove & Prohaska) who will also play meaningful minutes for Muffet during the season, and McGraw may just have the best team she's had in the last 10 years.

You know the Golden Domers will be hyped and excited to get the season started to see if McGraw can pull it off again, and raise championship trophy #3. I believe ND began the season #1 last year, but fell back to # 3 after losing to UConn, and Mississippi State moved up to #2. I'm not predicting anything at this juncture, but I think the ND/UConn game will expose the strengths and weaknesses of each team.

Some posters (not me) are predicting that ND will run the table this season. That remains to be seen. As we know, that is very hard to do. You can't have any bad or "off" nights. Every team you play is going to give you their best. You're the biggest game (it's circled on their calendar) on their schedule this year. Notre Dame has earned the right to strut their stuff this year until someone knocks them off, and humbles them. Will it happen? if so, who will it be? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Lost 3 of their best players (essentially 50% of their productivity) to the pros.. Their best player coming back just had major surgery and may not be ready to open the season. Lots of unproven freshman thru junior players. No meaningful transfers coming in. Meanwhile, other top 10 teams have gotten stronger. I'd say UConn is probably the 7th through 12th best team STARTING the season.
7-12????????? What??????? They kept their two best scorers from last year who are both extremely talented and hopefully healthy and hopefully a healthy Crystal with 2 of the best freshman. I would say top 3 or 4 worst

Reaction Score
No.5 at worst, but the rest of the season will be up to them to prove their ranking. Could be a great year for UConn, considering they will be chasing someone rather than being chased by everyone else.

Reaction Score
I agree, and no doubt ND welcomes the challenge of being #1. They return all of their injured players from a year ago.
Add the retuning players along with the injured players, add to that the incoming freshmen (Gilbert, Nixon, Cosgrove & Prohaska) who will also play meaningful minutes for Muffet during the season, and McGraw may just have the best team she's had in the last 10 years.

You know the Golden Domers will be hyped and excited to get the season started to see if McGraw can pull it off again, and raise championship trophy #3. I believe ND began the season #1 last year, but fell back to # 3 after losing to UConn, and Mississippi State moved up to #2. I'm not predicting anything at this juncture, but I think the ND/UConn game will expose the strengths and weaknesses of each team.

Some posters are predicting that ND will run the table this season. That remains to be seen. As we know, that is very hard to do. You can have any bad or "off" nights. Every team you play is going to give you their best. You're the biggest game (it's circled on their calendar) on their schedule this year. Notre Dame has earned the right to strut their stuff this year until someone knocks them off. Will it happen? if so, who will it be? :rolleyes:

Haven't seen their out of conference schedule but I'm sure it's pretty tough........ add ACC play and it's going to be quite a challenge..........

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
UCONN hands down should be #2. They return two All Americans, bring in two top 5 kids and have another former HS POY on the roster, not to mention one of the better PGs in the nation in Dangerfield. Talent wise they should have an advantage over anyone besides maybe ND (assuming Turner is healthy).

Coaching wise, they also have an advantage over the field. I still think Geno is a far better coach than anyone else in college basketball right now (besides maybe Muffet, but if picking between the two, I'd pick Geno). People also need to take this into consideration when making preseason picks. Teams like Baylor and Texas are loaded on paper but they have coaches who struggle to reach the Final Four.

Other programs like SC and Mississippi State lose a lot to graduation. Oregon State should be better, but to expect them to jump from being a 6 seed in the NCAA tournament to being ranked ahead of UCONN isn't reasonable. Oregon should good but this year they weren't able to stay competitive with the best teams. I wouldn't put them ahead of UCONN by any means.

Notre Dame-1
UCONN-2
Big jumble of teams 3-10

bballnut90

Reaction Score

Some posters are predicting that ND will run the table this season. That remains to be seen. As we know, that is very hard to do. You can have any bad or "off" nights. Every team you play is going to give you their best. You're the biggest game (it's circled on their calendar) on their schedule this year. Notre Dame has earned the right to strut their stuff this year until someone knocks them off. Will it happen? if so, who will it be? :rolleyes:

No way ND runs the table next year. I'll bet a lot of money that doesn't happen. In preseason 2016-17 ND was #1, in 2017-18 I believe they were 5 or 6. Mississippi State was low in preseason this year and then ended up being the #2 team most of the year. They were never number 2 in 2016-17 besides the final poll.

I think next year will bring more parity to the sport, as UCONN and ND both will be vulnerable. ND has Turner back which is great on paper, but adding in an impact player like that for a returning champion doesn't always yield better results. It definitely changes on court dynamics and chemistry, sometimes for better or worse.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Don't sleep on Oregon. Lost only Lexi Bando. Return 4 starters, freshman phenom Sabally came off the bench last season, and her sister suits up as a freshman this season. They don't have a great freshman class coming in, but what's there is top 5 worthy, and a final 4 threat, IMHO. Oh, and Erin Boley is eligible to play this year too.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Don't sleep on Oregon. Lost only Lexi Bando. Return 4 starters, freshman phenom Sabally came off the bench last season, and her sister suits up as a freshman this season. They don't have a great freshman class coming in, but what's there is top 5 worthy, and a final 4 threat, IMHO. Oh, and Erin Boley is eligible to play this year too.

I think they have a great shot to make the Final Four. They’ll be very good. I still think they’re a solid step being UCONN.

Reaction Score
How many other teams have 2 returning AAs, and 2 more #1 poy from HS? Yeah, they’re losing a lot, but they’ll still be strong.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom