Will UCONN go undefeated in 2013-14?

Will UCONN go undefeated this season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Jeff will figure out how to get three pointers off against Uconn? Wanna bet?

Louisville had no trouble getting three pointers off -- the Cards shot 23; they had trouble making them.

Jeff better figure out how to stop UConn from making three-pointers; UConn shot 13-26.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Louisville had no trouble getting three pointers off -- the Cards shot 23; they had trouble making them.

Jeff better figure out how to stop UConn from making three-pointers; UConn shot 13-26.
Yeah, I should have said GOOD three pointers.

Reaction Score
Banks and Stokes would start for all but maybe five or six teams in the country.

Other teams are irrelevant. We are UConn.
Geno has given no indication that he trusts Stokes, as evidence by her playing time. Based on that, she's not 'startable'.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
For us to lose a game next year- a lot of things have to go wrong for us- and at the same time, on the same night, more things have to go right for the other team. Our swarming defense, height and athleticism defensively makes us extremely difficult to beat. When Stokes is in, what we lose on offense we almost gain at the other end. Everyone on the court, except for Kiah is a real scoring threat. Platooning 8-9 players, fresh legs, playing in this conference could make it easier to mange minutes to keep foot and shin stress injuries to a minimum. The 5 UC girls we watched this summer had a real swagger. Add Steph, Stokes, Banks when she is ready and with all the talent on the floor, Chong could have an easier time adjusting. We have only 4 ball handlers- with Banks recovering, Chong will need to step it up early I think in case of back court injuries. We certainly could lose a game, but we are more like the Renee, Tina, Maya , Kalena team and earlier great teams. This is a Perfect Storm. A young cocky and super athletic talented No Carolina could be dangerous , and a semi final vs a talented Tenn in Tenn could become interesting also. Texas A & M will be good- they were real young and a different team at the end of the season. They lost Bone at center but still have Gilbert.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Well said, DD, in UCONN game planning who and where 3s are tolerated is important. It greatly reduces shooting %s. The result is the inverse or Dailey principle where the opponent shooting 15% is suddenly transformed into KMLmhitting her first three shots.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We have a tremendous scoring team from every position and even coming off the bench. Who can stop UConns scoring and it will have to be done on one? You cant double Stef at 6'5, Breanna at 6'4 and KML all at once. What team has the defense to stop us? NONE. If we have a poor shooting night what team will shoot better against our defense? None. I give you if Breanna and KML are out for the season UConn wont go undefeated but what are the chances of that happening? Come on. Your fishing for excuses why UConn wont go undefeated. What team can score over 80 pts against UConn. NONE. What team can keep UConn from scoring 80 pts NONE. The only other way UConn could lose this season is if they forfeit and that has about as much of a chance of happening as two major season ending injuries. Some of you think Duke or MD can beat us. Really. We blew and have blown them out time and time again. Yes they are both talented and so are we, so they cant out talent us. They don't play better defense then us and we've proved that. I don't see any threats this season not even close threats. Teams will be playing against UConn trying to keep the game under 10 pts. That would be an accomplishment. I don't want to hear about Baylor last season either. That was a lousy coaching job against Lville. Not coming out and guarding LVilles shooters when you have Griner underneath was taking LVille for granted. You don't take opponets for granted.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
We have a tremendous scoring team from every position and even coming off the bench. Who can stop UConns scoring and it will have to be done on one? You cant double Stef at 6'5, Breanna at 6'4 and KML all at once. What team has the defense to stop us? NONE. If we have a poor shooting night what team will shoot better against our defense? None. I give you if Breanna and KML are out for the season UConn wont go undefeated but what are the chances of that happening? Come on. Your fishing for excuses why UConn wont go undefeated. What team can score over 80 pts against UConn. NONE. What team can keep UConn from scoring 80 pts NONE. The only other way UConn could lose this season is if they forfeit and that has about as much of a chance of happening as two major season ending injuries. Some of you think Duke or MD can beat us. Really. We blew and have blown them out time and time again. Yes they are both talented and so are we, so they cant out talent us. They don't play better defense then us and we've proved that. I don't see any threats this season not even close threats. Teams will be playing against UConn trying to keep the game under 10 pts. That would be an accomplishment. I don't want to hear about Baylor last season either. That was a lousy coaching job against Lville. Not coming out and guarding LVilles shooters when you have Griner underneath was taking LVille for granted. You don't take opponets for granted.

Should be followed by a Cronkitetism..."And that is the way it is"...

Thanks Tony, for the summer fun.

Reaction Score
No...........We will not go undefeated. Just trying to be realistic. We will lose 3 or 4 games during the season ; Win the Conference ; Win our Conference Tournament ; Get a 1 or 2 seed in the NCAA ( Just because its the AAC Conference and not the BE) ; And make it to the FF.

Too many things have to go perfectly right for us to go undefeated. We have to be healthy throughout the season. And that doesn't happen too often. We are coming off some injuries to Stef and Banks. There ae some good teams on the schedule and we are short-handed in bodies .

We have excellent talent , and excellent coaching. But its a long season and everything would have to fall into place perfectly to go undefeated.

HGN, I have to respectfully disagree with you on a couple of things.

1. We will not lose 3 or 4 games. (The teams we lost to last year lost a lot of production of their team. Granted ND lost only Diggins but she was a great leader and ND will miss that) I don't see anyone on the schedule that would cause us to lose 3/4 games.

2. We will not be any lower than a 1 seed despite the conference. I cannot see 4 teams better than UCONN to put them in a 2 seed.

I do agree that things have to fall UCONN's way in order to have the perfect season. I also believe that an undefeated season will happen due to the fact that there aren't too many teams that will challenge these ladies. I can see Duke but their offense is too inconsistent and we'll have to see how Gray does after that awful injury. I can see Maryland, but I want to see how all of their ladies comes back from their injuries and if someone can step up to help Thomas. Tennessee may be a year or two away. I want to see what Russell does first before I crown them a threat. ND will be there but we're not playing them (unless its the tourney). The only team that will beat UCONN is UCONN jmo.

Reaction Score

I'm loving this post....:)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
If 100% healthy. There isn't a team that can come within double digets of UConn this season. Maybe not 20 pts. The only way this team doesn't score over 100 pts a game is if Geno calls off the dogs or UConn has a poor game. Think about this. Morgan Tuck who should be an AA this season is coming off the bench . UConn has 5 players who can put up 20 pts at any time and a couple who can put up over 30. The combo of Dolsen KML Stewart and Tuck can not be matched on any team, maybe not even an all star team. Bria MoJeff and BB will be fearless. This is the most powerful team Geno has ever had. Defensively they can destroy and man handle any team they face. It is so tuff to get inside on them because of their height. Stokes is a force that will emerge this season. I don't think there has ever been a team in WCBB that is so dominate at every position on Both sides of the ball as this years UConn team.

I talked a lot last season about being 100%. We were in late March and April. This season we are more mature and experienced. This is going to be a fun ride. Duke MD ND and UNC have a lot of talent. UConn has a lot of game. There is a big difference. Injury free and healthy, we don't lose at least for 2 years. If Wilson comes that might extend the win streak. Most games will be over at the half. Stewart KML and Dolsen will outscore most team just by themselves. Its all about defense and when you had UConns athletic height it shouldn't be close. Did I miss anything .
Yes, Hartley. (which just reinforces your points :D)

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Mojo scares the heck out of me.....I read this thread w/ an ever widening smile, which I quickly turned into a frown. In order to balance out the mojo universe I predict the following. UConn will go winless, lose every game. KML and Stewie will not compete for POY. Geno will forget how to coach. CD will get thrown out of 7 games. No injured players will heal. Chong will make no impact. Nobody will visit the president next year. Boneyard posters will all stop loving this team and Wilson won't spend the next four winters in Storrs.... balance restored, I am off to see my gypsy voodoo lady to get my palm read and participate in a ritual cleansing... :cool::rolleyes:

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Mojo scares the heck out of me.....I read this thread w/ an ever widening smile, which I quickly turned into a frown. In order to balance out the mojo universe I predict the following. UConn will go winless, lose every game. KML and Stewie will not compete for POY. Geno will forget how to coach. CD will get thrown out of 7 games. No injured players will heal. Chong will make no impact. Nobody will visit the president next year. Boneyard posters will all stop loving this team and Wilson won't spend the next four winters in Storrs.... balance restored, I am off to see my gypsy voodoo lady to get my palm read and participate in a ritual cleansing... :cool::rolleyes:

Over the years I have gone from a Mojo devote to a "screw the mojo" kinda guy.

Prior to the 90 game winning streak, plenty of poster were posting in similar fashion to the posts in this thread. Some calling for undefeated seasons and some more cautious.

The fact is, it's all about talent. Sure the could be injuries (I hate even saying that word), but why predict based on something that hasn't happened yet. We can post all we want about winning every game and it will be what it will be.

Now, is some of the mojo talk just message board fun? Of course. Oooooo....look out for the mojo.....scary....

I say that if you feel it, say it. If you feel this team will go undefeated, shout it from the rooftops.

One other thing. I would wager a guess that Uconn has a deeper roster than any other teaml. 9 players that can be in the regular rotation. Because of that, they can handle and missed time by any of the players. Find me one other roster (TN comes close) that goes that deep. 12 player rosters don't help if you don't have talented players that can fill in for the better players if they miss any time.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Over the years I have gone from a Mojo devote to a "screw the mojo" kinda guy.

Prior to the 90 game winning streak, plenty of poster were posting in similar fashion to the posts in this thread. Some calling for undefeated seasons and some more cautious.

The fact is, it's all about talent. Sure the could be injuries (I hate even saying that word), but why predict based on something that hasn't happened yet. We can post all we want about winning every game and it will be what it will be.

Now, is some of the mojo talk just message board fun? Of course. Oooooo....look out for the mojo.....scary....

I say that if you feel it, say it. If you feel this team will go undefeated, shout it from the rooftops.

One other thing. I would wager a guess that Uconn has a deeper roster than any other teaml. 9 players that can be in the regular rotation. Because of that, they can handle and missed time by any of the players. Find me one other roster (TN comes close) that goes that deep. 12 player rosters don't help if you don't have talented players that can fill in for the better players if they miss any time.

samp3de409edac40c18b.jpg

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Im biased, but I think the Duke roster is deeper than TN's....

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Some positive news on the injury front, I read recently that Stefanie says she's 100% and pain free while playing pickup. I'm sure the Horde will soon be given access to the coaches and players and will hear how Brianna is doing in her rehab.

Reaction Score
The most recent objective information we have to base a prediction on is summer USA basketball. UCONN had 5 players on the combined wug and u19 rosters. Only TN and Duke had more than one player--they each had 2. Combined, there were 4 players from two other elite programs that still didn't numerically match uconn's 5. All 5 uconn players were starters, statistical leaders in various categories, as well as 1 mop and a team captain.

And, that 5 is not uconn's season starting 5 in at least one and, perhaps two positions. But, even there, the embarrassment of riches is not fully revealed. The 5 players fill positions 1 thru 5.

Prediction of an undefeated season is a reasonable choice.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The most recent objective information we have to base a prediction on is summer USA basketball. UCONN had 5 players on the combined wug and u19 rosters. Only TN and Duke had more than one player--they each had 2. Combined, there were 4 players from two other elite programs that still didn't numerically match uconn's 5. All 5 uconn players were starters, statistical leaders in various categories, as well as 1 mop and a team captain.

And, that 5 is not uconn's season starting 5 in at least one and, perhaps two positions. But, even there, the embarrassment of riches is not fully revealed. The 5 players fill positions 1 thru 5.

Prediction of an undefeated season is a reasonable choice.

To be fair..... the best two Duke players were either injured (Gray) or recovering from an injury (Williams).... I think those two would have made the WUG team if they had been healthy and tried out. Not sure if Liston would have still made it though.

Reaction Score
And people wonder why we had so much trouble with ND.

url
images
Is this some recruit for 2020? Is she a guard or post player? Who else is recruiting her? Come on 7, I need details.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom