Will UConn Get a B12 Invite

• Yes

Votes: 56 48.7%
  • No

Votes: 59 51.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
That sound profound and interesting. Why do you say that?
Why? Cord cutting and the move to streaming. In the captive cable bundle environment, you wanted large markets that would be forced to subscribe to a conference channel as part of the cable bundle. (Example is Rutgers.) The cable bundle is in a LT decline, but there is still going to be significant revenues from the cable bundle for the conference networks in the near term. LT as streaming becomes more important you want brands that people are willing to pay to watch.

Reaction Score
UConn will likely get offer from ACC and B12.
Someone else (or perhaps it was you) posted that a second conference had been in touch with UConn. Is this just an educated guess on your part or do you have some insight?

Personally, I would prefer the ACC with its several old BE rivals that mean more to me than the current ones, but that is just me. Less travel. Could do north against south or something. But of course their stability is concerning.

Reaction Score
Someone else (or perhaps it was you) posted that a second conference had been in touch with UConn. Is this just an educated guess on your part or do you have some insight?
That poster was CONN78SEJ. I don't believe he ever said where he got that information.

CONN78SEJ:
Based on what I heard this morning, UConn is being looked at by another P5 for the same reasons.

Reaction Score

Personally, I would prefer the ACC with its several old BE rivals that mean more to me than the current ones, but that is just me. Less travel. Could do north against south or something. But of course their stability is concerning.
I have no specific knowledge. I am following podcasts. I agree if the ACC can survive, UConn needs to at least look at the ACC as an option if invited. Connecticut is a very East Coast state and the ACC is where the real UConn rivalries are. We know that FSU and Clemson will likely soon bolt to another conference if a path exists. That would make openings for two other members if not more.

Reaction Score
We know that FSU and Clemson will likely soon bolt to another conference if a path exists. That would make openings for two other members if not more.

If the ACC GOR is solid, no one can leave until 2036. So far it’s been solid. We cannot wait 13 years to get invited to an ACC that could be losing it’s marquee programs. That would be insanity and a potential for lost revenue exceeding 250+ Million. I came up with 250+ by conservatively estimating increased revenue to be 25M per year on average for 10 years.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If the ACC GOR is solid, no one can leave until 2036. So far it’s been solid. We cannot wait 13 years to get invited to an ACC that could be losing it’s marquee programs. That would be insanity and a potential for lost revenue exceeding 250+ Million. I came up with 250+ by conservatively estimating increased revenue to be 25M per year on average for 10 years.
Yeah, I agree with you it's probably much more than that.

Reaction Score
Agreed here. We absolutely should not wait for the ACC invite. Those folks will have their own battles to deal with in 2036.

For UConn, we need to accept the B12 invite the minute it is presented.

Reaction Score
If the PAC 12 signs a new deal and the 4 corners schools stay put then our chances are better.

If the opposite happens then it drops to less than zero.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
If UConn is invited to the Big 12, will the Realignment Board still exist?
The P5 invite comes. All threads are locked. One final key tweet is posted, receives the most likes of any post on the Yard, and then the forum is archived. Everyone cheers.

Except Providence fans, but I don’t care

Reaction Score
If a Big 12 invitation isn't proffered the narrative is that the Big 12 rejected UConn twice. That would be awful.

I hate to be that guy but after over a decade of this shinola I am:

The Big 12 should invite UConn now. Down the road when the ACC teams are available it can go to 24-32 teams.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
There are just too many scenarios right now. Need the P12 situation to settle - hopefully in June and then maybe we can start to see the next phase begin.

I’m still thinking the P12 holds together with a 5 or 6 year gap contract. The “gap” being to get these schools to what is likely the next great CRA shuffle when the B1G contract re-ups. Over this time period I think the P12 can explore that funky idea of some sort of scheduling/media/merger with the willing parties of the ACC. John Skipper weighed in from retirement that he felt a P12-ACC merger would be accretive.

It seems some way, some how, the P5 will converge as the P4 by 2030. Some think it could happen this summer, but I don’t see ESPN as in position to fund an immediate consolidation. Instead it all needs more time to work it’s way together.
I’m starting to lose faith in the Pac-12. If the league doesn’t have a TV deal by about June 20th, I think four of Oregon, Washington, or the four corner schools bolt for the Big 12. I don’t think Oregon or Washington are getting an invite even at a reduced rate to the Big 10 so my guess is that the Big 12 adds Colorado, Arizona, Oregon, and Washington.

Reaction Score
I’m starting to lose faith in the Pac-12. If the league doesn’t have a TV deal by about June 20th, I think four of Oregon, Washington, or the four corner schools bolt for the Big 12. I don’t think Oregon or Washington are getting an invite even at a reduced rate to the Big 10 so my guess is that the Big 12 adds Colorado, Arizona, Oregon, and Washington.
That would be a boss move for the Big 12 to go after schools on the B1G's radar. The B1G and SEC assume they have all the leverage and time in the world, but that's only true if there are no other suitors for the schools in which they are interested.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 (2) and the ACC (2) both lack state flagship universities and the P2 are majority flagship universities. There are 14 state flagship universities outside of the P2:

ACC: North Carolina, Virginia
P12: Arizona, Cal, Colorado, Oregon, Utah, Washington
G5: UConn, UMass, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Wyoming

If you are the Big 12, you have to kick the tires on all of them. Some, you can eliminate quickly. In my opinion grabbing the 3 state flagship universities from the 4 corner schools is a no brainer for the Big 12 if they are available. Maybe they take Arizona State as well. And, don't forget that Arizona, Colorado, and Utah are 3 of the fastest growing states.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Florida State and NC state aren't state flagships or at least 1B level flagships?

Reaction Score
Florida State and NC state aren't state flagships or at least 1B level flagships?
Folks up here also underestimate the power of Va Tech. it has nearly twice the enrollment of UVA and has a huge (and very loyal) following. It’s also an excellent school. it May not be UVA, but it is no second rate State school for those who can’t get into the flagship. I would say folks in VA consider it a second flagship.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom