Will UConn Get a B12 Invite

• Yes

Votes: 56 48.7%
  • No

Votes: 59 51.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
Conventional wisdom has it that a non-P5 institution will never be invited into a P5 conference unless:
1. That conference has just been raided and it is desperate to backfill; or,
2. The addition is evaluated as revenue accretive -- which usually means they have a well known competitive football program and can bring a sizable TV market to the table; or,
3. Other strategic reasons. Which is a high bar, as university presidents usually insist on the deal being revenue accretive rather than being revenue neutral or degrading. And the reason for that is that they already have plans for the revenue they think they are going to get. Being asked to make an unplanned investment late in the cycle is not popular.

All that said, will the B12 presidents authorize Yormark to proceed with an invite to UConn?

I am voting NO. But I have been wrong before. Spectacularly so in some cases.

Reaction Score
Conventional wisdom has it that a non-P5 institution will never be invited into a P5 conference unless:
2. The addition is evaluated as revenue accretive -- which usually means they have a well known competitive football program and can bring a sizable TV market to the table; or,
3. Other strategic reasons. Which is a high bar, as university presidents usually insist on the deal being revenue accretive rather than being revenue neutral or degrading. And the reason for that is that they already have plans for the revenue they think they are going to get. Being asked to make an unplanned investment late in the cycle is not popular.

All that said, will the B12 presidents authorize Yormark to proceed with an invite to UConn?

my brain says no, but im praying that im wrong

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Who knows? But Yormark appears to think that basketball can be more effectively monetize with a standalone contract. That is a different approach from the football centric approach that has always been used in the past, and thus, it may create a new set of rules as to who is a desirable addition and who is not.

Reaction Score

Reports say they have given Yormark just about full control of the process and will follow his decisions, unless I assume they are crazy of course.

And reports also say he has a NYC bent having worked for the Nets.

Reaction Score
I somewhat doubt he would go all the way to Storrs for a look around and one last slice at Sgt Peps. Do conference presidents usually travel to schools they don't invite?
Has there been a president reported in Storrs? If so, as usual, I am a step behind.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Time is on our side someone in this. The longer it takes to get an invite, the more likely it is that are 27 1/2 month conference exit waiting period take us into 2027 and where our exit fee will drop from $30 million-$15 million.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Has there been a president reported in Storrs? If so, as usual, I am a step behind.

yes. In one of the 8 other threads on this topic they have the tweets. Yormack was seen at Storrs last week.

Reaction Score
I believe we will get an invite at some point, but we will have to wait while B12 works out the PAC-12 situation with the corner 4 schools. Either way, B12 will need us if they want to have a presence on the East Coast.
Yeah, I was gonna say something about the corner 4 schools. They have all taken the position that they want to wait until they see the PAC12 deal before making a decision. And that deal will be decided in June supposedly because they will lose the SDSU backfill possibility if they wait past 6/30. In the meantime, Yormark could well be working his Plan B while waiting for the results of Plan A. If an invite came before those dominoes fell, that would be surprising unless he already has preliminary data on the 4 which suggest that he is not going to get a 100% yield.

Reaction Score
I am Charlie Brown.

The rules have changed. Before it was about increasing everyone's take today. Now that the P2 have separated themselves, that approach doesn't work because A there is no one available to really increase everyone's take and B you are not getting close to P2 money anyway.

The approach now has to be the long game with strategic growth and stability. That is why Yormark wants your UConn Huskies. It is a well-known and proven brand in a great market and great success, and with Sir Mora at the helm, he sees the football potential.

charlie brown thanksgiving GIF by Peanuts

Reaction Score
I somewhat doubt he would go all the way to Storrs for a look around and one last slice at Sgt Peps. Do conference presidents usually travel to schools they don't invite?

Dang you'd hope Yormark would have at least grabbed a personal pie from Camilles WFP! :)

I would say that he'd probably be VERY impressed with the caliber of practice and game day facilities on campus - The Rentch / PW Stadium def needs some maintenance and improvement, but if it's every going to happen, such an invite could demand those upgrades actually happen.

Reaction Score
Who knows? But Yormark appears to think that basketball can be more effectively monetize with a standalone contract. That is a different approach from the football centric approach that has always been used in the past, and thus, it may create a new set of rules as to who is a desirable addition and who is not.
Also, once the power conferences break away from the NCAA, then more of the money from the end of year basketball tournament would go directly to the schools. If the BIG 12 is by far the best basketball league, then maybe that means more revenue for them compared to the SEC and BIG 10 and helps close the overall gap in revenue.

Reaction Score
Isn't the Big XII a Fox league like the Big East? Why would Fox pony up more for UConn when they already have us on the cheap?

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Isn't the Big XII a Fox league like the Big East? Why would Fox pony up more for UConn when they already have us on the cheap?
It's in the Big 12 contract with Fox, even if they expand with "G5" schools, the pay rate will increase proportionally (pro rata) amongst the schools (this is not saying that the Big 12 would pay out new expansion members a full share, that's TBD).

Why would Fox pay more? More content. Potential for better matchups. More time zones. New markets.

Reaction Score
I think you answered your own question with the phrase on the cheap. No longer in a low ball conference. Playing higher profile teams before a bigger audience and getting paid what UConn is worth.

Reaction Score
I think you answered your own question with the phrase on the cheap. No longer in a low ball conference. Playing higher profile teams before a bigger audience and getting paid what UConn is worth.
UConn has no leverage here. They are worth whatever Fox says they are. It's like Clemson trying to get ESPN to move it from the ACC to the SEC for more money and everyone always says why would they do that when they already own Clemson at a discount?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom