Will UConn Get a B12 Invite

• Yes

Votes: 56 48.7%
  • No

Votes: 59 51.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
UConn has no leverage here. They are worth whatever Fox says they are. It's like Clemson trying to get ESPN to move it from the ACC to the SEC for more money and everyone always says why would they do that when they already own Clemson at a discount?
It won't be UConn doing the negotiating. And it won't be FOX doing the calculation. Not to worry, they have that part of it figured out.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 media deal is with Fox and our old friend ESPN.

From Sports Business Journal:

For the “A” package, ESPN gets the top four football picks each season, six of the top eight picks, eight of the top 12 picks and 12 of the top 20 picks. As part of the deal, ESPN also gets the rights to the Big 12 football championship game and the basketball tournament championship game. The Big 12’s parity helped convince Fox, whose package includes 26 football games per season that will run on Fox broadcast network and FS1, to do the deal.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I don’t think the president of the B12 travels all the way to Storrs if the invite isn’t coming at some point. It could be once the ACC blows up, and they can invite multiple schools at the same time. That combined with his comments about New York make me think we’re part of his vision.

Reaction Score
I don’t think the president of the B12 travels all the way to Storrs if the invite isn’t coming at some point. It could be once the ACC blows up, and they can invite multiple schools at the same time. That combined with his comments about New York make me think we’re part of his vision.
Actually, Yormark is the Commissioner of the B12. The President's of the institutions sit above him in matters of membership. They are the ones who vote, he does not. Membership requires a supermajority vote in the affirmative. I do not know if it is a 3/5, 2/3, or 3/4ths supermajority.

Reaction Score
Actually, Yormark is the Commissioner of the B12. The President's of the institutions sit above him in matters of membership. They are the ones who vote, he does not. Membership requires a supermajority vote in the affirmative. I do not know if it is a 3/5, 2/3, or 3/4ths supermajority.
I can't find the expansion majority vote needed but other membership actions (onference dissolution, etc.) requires 75%, so that's probably it. So would need 9 votes out of the twelve schools that have a vote (assumes the four new schools have a vote and the two departing don't). Of course, if a school gets approved, the vote will be unanimous in the press release.

Reaction Score
I can't find the expansion majority vote needed but other membership actions (onference dissolution, etc.) requires 75%, so that's probably it. So would need 9 votes out of the twelve schools that have a vote (assumes the four new schools have a vote and the two departing don't). Of course, if a school gets approved, the vote will be unanimous in the press release.
Actually what will probably happen is that the first vote will be preliminary and non-binding. The second binding vote will be unanimous or perhaps there is a request for unanimous consent to approve. That is the usual convention. Thus they can say that in good conscience.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Cyclone basketball fan has us up to #4. Not bad.

"IN CONCLUSION​

I think the best case scenario for the Big 12 would be to nab four of the schools on this list and take the league to 16 teams with a solid pod of teams out West, your core group in the Midwest and your solid grouping of programs in the East.

I’d start with locking in the four Pac-12 programs then move on to potentially adding UConn and Memphis if you’re dead set on getting to more than 16 teams. I’d still love to see San Diego State work its way into the mix, though, because that program feels like a real fit in every way if you’re able to strengthen your west coast mix of programs."

Reaction Score
Big East loyalist Andy Patton said UConn to B12 could "realistically" happen. He claims UConn is a great fit for Big East.
That was true of old Big East but not true of this one, from my viewpoint. ACC is the cultural fit for UConn.

Reaction Score
Now that we are hearing the PAC-12 is falling apart, the first domino could be that Colorado going to the B12. This week escalate quickly as other 3 corner schools will follow since no one wants to be left behind.

This might put a damper on the UConn to the B12 expansion train unless the B12 wants to go beyond 16.

Reaction Score
Now that we are hearing the PAC-12 is falling apart, the first domino could be that Colorado going to the B12. This week escalate quickly as other 3 corner schools will follow since no one wants to be left behind.

This might put a damper on the UConn to the B12 expansion train unless the B12 wants to go beyond 16.
I could see Arizona following Colo to B12, but not sure of others if PAC stays in place. May still be room for UConn.

Reaction Score
UConn has a chance if the Big 12 goes to 20+.

Here's the deal. SU and Pitt say F this to the ACC debacle and align with L-ville and the 7 dwarfs to dissolve the ACC. Big 12 invites UConn, Pitt, SU, L-ville along with the Corner 4. Find 4 more, SDSU, Memphis, USF, whatever. 24 is the number, the number shall be 24. The Big East 12/Big 12 East Pod: UConn, WVU, Cincy, L-Ville, Pitt, SU. That would be an ideal scenario. UConn needs something to happen soon because something like this will eventually happen and UConn can't be left behind again.

The Big 12 would be solidified as #3 football, #1 by far hoops. And to be fair, Football wouldn't even be that far behind the P2. Give me that pod over the Big East any day of the week and twice on the Sabbath.

Reaction Score

Here's the deal. SU and Pitt say F this to the ACC debacle and align with L-ville and the 7 dwarfs to dissolve the ACC. Big 12 invites UConn, Pitt, SU, L-ville along with the Corner 4. Find 4 more, SDSU, Memphis, USF, whatever. 24 is the number, the number shall be 24. The Big East 12/Big 12 East Pod: UConn, WVU, Cincy, L-Ville, Pitt, SU. That would be an ideal scenario. UConn needs something to happen soon because something like this will eventually happen and UConn can't be left behind again.

The Big 12 would be solidified as #3 football, #1 by far hoops. And to be fair, Football wouldn't even be that far behind the P2. Give me that pod over the Big East any day of the week and twice on the Sabbath.
Interesting scenario but that would be very hard to pull off with so many moving pieces. Much more likely that the Pac 12 does not fall apart, or that all four corner schools switch and Plan B (which includes UConn) is not needed.

Reaction Score

I don't see Syracuse being high on the Big 12s list. I think they'd rather have one of the other leftovers, whether it's Duke, Virginia Tech, Miami, NC State or maybe even GT over Syracuse.

Reaction Score
I can see Arizona and Colorado but am not sure Utah makes sense. Utah has a smaller population than CT and the Big12 already has BYU. The smart move would be AZ, CO, CT, and UNLV.
Picks up major markets (Phoenix, Denver, Vegas, and CT-NYC-BOS).
I understand the travel concerns but big time means us establishing ourselves with a national brand.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
There are just too many scenarios right now. Need the P12 situation to settle - hopefully in June and then maybe we can start to see the next phase begin.

I’m still thinking the P12 holds together with a 5 or 6 year gap contract. The “gap” being to get these schools to what is likely the next great CRA shuffle when the B1G contract re-ups. Over this time period I think the P12 can explore that funky idea of some sort of scheduling/media/merger with the willing parties of the ACC. John Skipper weighed in from retirement that he felt a P12-ACC merger would be accretive.

It seems some way, some how, the P5 will converge as the P4 by 2030. Some think it could happen this summer, but I don’t see ESPN as in position to fund an immediate consolidation. Instead it all needs more time to work it’s way together.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
ACC is a disaster right now.
I think people who want us to wait out to see what happens with the ACC don't understand how much money that conference will lose after the FSU, Clemson, Miami, and UNC bolt for the B1G, SEC or Big 12. FSU and Clemson are not getting into the SEC or the B1G so they will see the Big 12 and see it as the next best option. The gap is going to be that much wider and those left behind will be living the Pac10 media nightmare that is going on right now. I don't think we want to be a part of that.

Reaction Score
I think people who want us to wait out to see what happens with the ACC don't understand how much money that conference will lose after the FSU, Clemson, Miami, and UNC bolt for the B1G, SEC or Big 12. FSU and Clemson are not getting into the SEC or the B1G so they will see the Big 12 and see it as the next best option. The gap is going to be that much wider and those left behind will be living the Pac10 media nightmare that is going on right now. I don't think we want to be a part of that.
why did you highlight fsu and clemson as not getting into sec or b10. i think they have a serious shot at sec

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
The ACC hit the iceberg when they let ND have an open relationship in football. Everyone in that conference is actively or passively looking for a seat in a lifeboat.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
why did you highlight fsu and clemson as not getting into sec or b10. i think they have a serious shot at sec
SEC already has teams in those markets. There has been a lot of talk that they are not wanted by South Carolina or Florida.

Reaction Score
There's a zero percent chance that Clemson and FSU end up in the big 12. If they don't bolt to the sec or big 10, then they'll stay in the ACC with the higher revenue share.

Again, if the big 12 and the acc were to go to market today, the ACC would get a bigger deal by about $10 million per school.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom