Will the NCAA March Tourney be played without an audience? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Will the NCAA March Tourney be played without an audience?

Reaction Score
Would you guys rather go to a basketball game that 1 in 100 people have the flu or 1 in 100 people have the coronavirus? Personally, I'd take my chances with the flu, but that's just me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The press conference today had the two leaders say that a female had died in Washington State when it was a male. Not very encouraging. The reduction in travel is a big hit on the economy.

Reaction Score
Coronavirus is 10 or 20 times more deadly than the flu. So stopping or slowing its spread through the general public should be a priority. Japan, Korea and Italy are all taking measures to reduce transmission. They should be considered here

Reaction Score
Coronavirus is 10 or 20 times more deadly than the flu. So stopping or slowing its spread through the general public should be a priority. Japan, Korea and Italy are all taking measures to reduce transmission. They should be considered here
20x equals 2%. The Spanish flu killed millions because of the war and counties hid the problem to not give adversaries any advantage. It’s called Spanish flu because Spain was neutral and willing to tell the world they had a problem. Those most vulnerable are old, young and immunocompromised. Is it serious? Yes. Is it the end of world? No.
Should UConn be cancelling school? Soon, if it spreads. To many kids in confined spaces in dorms, classrooms, etc.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Has anything like this happened in anyone’s lifetime? I’m 32 and the closest I remember is just this fall with EEE.

Sure, SARS in 2003. Affected Canada more than US, but many business conferences and other events cancelled.

Reaction Score
When I was a young Marine, I was hospitalized for a week with what my records say was Acute Respiratory Disease...unknown origin and not pneumonia.

Now, it would kill me..

Reaction Score
None of us have a crystal ball. Bickering over fatality rates and severity of symptoms vs flu is a waste of your time. No telling how this thing will spread here. We saw what it did to China so that’s all we can go off of. Nothing wrong with developing a contingency plan.... and hopefully it is not needed

Reaction Score
The business channel on Friday had a guest that said that the airlines would be in big trouble if transatlantic flights to Europe had a reduction in business travel. He said that it was way more important volume wise than tourist bookings. The concept of a safe 2 meter difference in public puts many events at risk such as games, political rallies, as well as mass transit, schools. This could be quite a disruption to things for a while.

Reaction Score
Young, healthy people have died from this coronavirus. Not sure where people are getting the idea that it's the same as the flu.

Reaction Score
Young, healthy people have died from this coronavirus. Not sure where people are getting the idea that it's the same as the flu.

I’m guessing “young” and “healthy” are relative terms:

Age of Coronavirus Deaths

COVID-19 Fatality Rate by AGE:
*Death Rate = (number of deaths / number of cases) = probability of dying if infected by the virus (%). This probability differs depending on the age group. The percentages shown below do not have to add up to 100%, as they do NOT represent share of deaths by age group. Rather, it represents, for a person in a given age group, the risk of dying if infected with COVID-19.

AGE​
DEATH RATE
confirmed cases
DEATH RATE
all cases
80+ years old​
21.9%​
14.8%​
70-79 years old​
8.0%​
60-69 years old​
3.6%​
50-59 years old​
1.3%​
40-49 years old​
0.4%​
30-39 years old​
0.2%​
20-29 years old​
0.2%​
10-19 years old​
0.2%​
0-9 years old
no fatalities​

COVID-19 Fatality Rate by COMORBIDITY:
*Death Rate = (number of deaths / number of cases) = probability of dying if infected by the virus (%). This probability differs depending on pre-existing condition. The percentage shown below does NOT represent in any way the share of deaths by pre-existing condition. Rather, it represents, for a patient with a given pre-existing condition, the risk of dying if infected by COVID-19.

PRE-EXISTING CONDITION​
DEATH RATE
confirmed cases
DEATH RATE
all cases
Cardiovascular disease​
13.2%​
10.5%​
Diabetes​
9.2%​
7.3%​
Chronic respiratory disease​
8.0%​
6.3%​
Hypertension​
8.4%​
6.0%​
Cancer​
7.6%​
5.6%​
no pre-existing conditions
0.9%​
*Death Rate = (number of deaths / number of cases) = probability of dying if infected by the virus (%). The percentages do not have to add up to 100%, as they do NOT represent share of deaths by condition.

Another view: Who Is Most Susceptible to the New Coronavirus?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m guessing “young” and “healthy” are relative terms:

Listening to some people you'd think every person who died was 80 and already about to die from something else. Obviously those people are going to be the most susceptible, as you would expect, but it's not 100% of the deaths that are like that.

Reaction Score
No one should attend NCAA tournament games .
If all movie theatres are closed ,
Broadway shuts down , Hollywood shuts down all motion picture production and Major League Baseball is cancelled.
All schools and universities are closed, All shopping malls are closed
plus any other place were folks gather.Like the New York Stock exchange.
Whose prepared for that type of total isolation?
Singling out the NCAA tourney is just a publicity stunt to create a dissonance.
Folks who suggest stuff like this ,really believe you are morons.
This thread itself is political and should be moved to wherever we put stuff like that.

Reaction Score
When I was a young Marine, I was hospitalized for a week with what my records say was Acute Respiratory Disease...unknown origin and not pneumonia.

Now, it would kill me..
Semper Fi. Was a Corpsman with the 1st Marine Division.

Reaction Score
The death rate might even be lower than reported because cases are under reported at this point in time. SARS and MERS were much more deadly.

Precautions should still be taken but as has been said this might be more in line with the flu

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom