Will the freshman hit a wall? | The Boneyard

Will the freshman hit a wall?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm legit curious what fans think. We've seen it with many freshmen in the past - humming along playing well, and then sometime mid-Janyary'ish... BAM. The freshman wall. I have a feeling we won't see that with these kids, but that's just IMHO.

Ash and KK are fearless (so is Q for that matter). But as starters, I can see them having sporadic poor games, but for both of them (again IMHO), their strengths not only include strong minds and high BBIQ, but their games rely on effort and attitude - giving 100% every second they are out there. Playing strong defense. And taking (not forcing) shots when open (or in KK's case driving when she sees openings).

In Q's and Ice's cases - they haven't been asked to do things they aren't capable of. I get that Geno probably wants Ice spending more time in the post. I think she's moving in that direction, but for her and Q, it will be accelerated due to injuries and literally lack of anyone else. For Q, continue to use her athleticism, play strong defense and communicate so as not to get lost, and continue to shoot when open.

I am hopeful that any freshman "wall" will be minimal at worst. What do you guys think?

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Unless the policy has changed, one of the things that slogs down freshman, and sometimes the other players, is that they could not live in the dorm/apartments during winter break, so the mundane repetition of practice-hotel-game would mentally grate on them. I also hope it's minimal, and although unfortunate, the last few seasons have probably given the staff a lot of info and tricks as how to keep the players mentally sharp, engaged, and not overwhelmed with everything that could affect them.

Reaction Score
I agree with you. I really respect EricLA's posts 99% of the time,BUT, these are the kind of posts that should be kept off the board as not being helpful in the present. Why put negative thoughts in any ones mind that does not have to do with now's games. This kind of post should be when and if they hit a wall and discussed then.. My opinion. GO FRESHMEN!!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I don't see Ash having a Freshman wall for the following reasons.

1. She is most likely one of the most physically and mentally fit players to ever play for UConn as a Freshman.
2. She moved away from her family for her Senior year so that she would be prepared for living in dorms instead of being with her friends and family.
3. Getting used to the rigors of travel, staying in hotels, while having to study on the road.

She did all of that and more so that she would be prepared for life as a basketball player at the Capital of Women's basketball, UConn.

Reaction Score
I agree with you. I really respect EricLA's posts 99% of the time,BUT, these are the kind of posts that should be kept off the board as not being helpful in the present. Why put negative thoughts in any ones mind that does not have to do with now's games. This kind of post should be when and if they hit a wall and discussed then.. My opinion. GO FRESHMEN!!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!!
Seriously???

Reaction Score
I'm legit curious what fans think. We've seen it with many freshmen in the past - humming along playing well, and then sometime mid-Janyary'ish... BAM. The freshman wall. I have a feeling we won't see that with these kids, but that's just IMHO.

Ash and KK are fearless (so is Q for that matter). But as starters, I can see them having sporadic poor games, but for both of them (again IMHO), their strengths not only include strong minds and high BBIQ, but their games rely on effort and attitude - giving 100% every second they are out there. Playing strong defense. And taking (not forcing) shots when open (or in KK's case driving when she sees openings).

In Q's and Ice's cases - they haven't been asked to do things they aren't capable of. I get that Geno probably wants Ice spending more time in the post. I think she's moving in that direction, but for her and Q, it will be accelerated due to injuries and literally lack of anyone else. For Q, continue to use her athleticism, play strong defense and communicate so as not to get lost, and continue to shoot when open.

I am hopeful that any freshman "wall" will be minimal at worst. What do you guys think?
Probably they will. The core three seniors may as well, given that they each must now play 35 minutes , with Aubrey gone. I think what it means is we will not beat any of the top ranked teams we have still to encounter. We are going to be playing only 7 in those games. And they will be playing 10 or more. But we have to hope that the " freshman wall' does not hit all four at the same time. Anyway, whatever we accomplish this year is going to be stupendous. No team in the country has been hurt by injury as UCONN has. And this is two -three years in a row now. Just a plague.

Reaction Score
It will be difficult for the youngsters to sustain the intensity shown in the last few games through the conference season, especially with the apparently shrinking roster. So, there might be a few stinker games that may constitute a "wall." I think Paige, Aliyah, and Nika can steer them through that, though.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Thank you for the reply.

Reaction Score
Like all players they are going to have an occasional bad game. However, I don't see Ash, KK or Q hitting a "wall" per se. I mention Q because in my opinion she is playing great defense and shooting well. I hope she gets more minutes soon.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Probably they will. The core three seniors may as well, given that they each must now play 35 minutes , with Aubrey gone. I think what it means is we will not beat any of the top ranked teams we have still to encounter. We are going to be playing only 7 in those games. And they will be playing 10 or more. But we have to hope that the " freshman wall' does not hit all four at the same time. Anyway, whatever we accomplish this year is going to be stupendous. No team in the country has been hurt by injury as UCONN has. And this is two -three years in a row now. Just a plague.
Not true. I just looked at box scores for S Carolina, UCLA, and Iowa and against ranked teams, they all tightened their rotations to 7 with a couple more getting mop up minutes. Iowa played only 6 in their dogfight with Michigan State. It’s pretty typical to go with the most reliable players in the crunch.

Reaction Score

1. She is most likely one of the most physically and mentally fit players to ever play for UConn as a Freshman.
2. She moved away from her family for her Senior year so that she would be prepared for living in dorms instead of being with her friends and family.
3. Getting used to the rigors of travel, staying in hotels, while having to study on the road.

She did all of that and more so that she would be prepared for life as a basketball player at the Capital of Women's basketball, UConn.
I don’t see a freshman wall for Ash. I will say she reminds me of a very young Sue Bird more so than any other player since. Ash easily could have had 25 points last night, hitting only one 3 on 3 attempts.

Reaction Score
Not true. I just looked at box scores for S Carolina, UCLA, and Iowa and against ranked teams, they all tightened their rotations to 7 with a couple more getting mop up minutes. Iowa played only 6 in their dogfight with Michigan State. It’s pretty typical to go with the most reliable players in the crunch.
Also because most top teams shrink their rotation in big games, the timing is the opposite for us vs. top programs in the power 5 conferences. We get our top competition mostly upfront and then settle into a relatively easier conference schedule. Other programs get a very easy out of conference schedule, then finally get much tougher competition in a very good conference.

You expect freshmen regardless of schedule to get better in most cases as the season wears on. In our case a freshmen might be brought along slowly with mop up minutes then get a more expanded role in conference games assuming they are fairly easy wins. on a top team playing cupcakes early a freshmen might get significant minutes in non contested games, but find their minutes shrink as they head into high grade competition. Perhaps going from the 9th or 10th player in a deep rotation to DNP coach's decision in a big one. that could happen even if their play was improving.

For Uconn's freshmen, the worst is largely over except for South Carolina and Notre Dame. I expect their overall play as measured in the stats like PER should improve, not decline from this point. That is generally true for Uconn players because the early games are against top competition and stats like PER don't adjust for schedule difficulty.

Reaction Score
Exactly. Depth in big games doesn't concern me as much as depth over the course of the season. Minutes were being managed beautifully with only Nike averaging over 30 at just 30.5 minutes. Now we will need to Q and ICe to step up big time or risk wearing down our starters.

Reaction Score

Totally agree. Ash is "all in," has been from day one. And KK is the "Energizer bunny' and will not easily be derailed. [pardon the mixed metaphor]

For Q and Ice, I'm just glad the winter break is almost over. They're still trying to figure out their BB identities and that can feel precarious sometimes. At least Q isn't so far away from home, but Ice is on the other side of the country.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Exactly. Depth in big games doesn't concern me as much as depth over the course of the season. Minutes were being managed beautifully with only Nike averaging over 30 at just 30.5 minutes. Now we will need to Q and ICe to step up big time or risk wearing down our starters.
I wonder if Ines will see more minutes against the Big East teams to spell Nika, Paige, KK, and Ash. At one point last night, the 4 freshmen and Ines were in against the Creighton starters and they held their own.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I wonder if Ines will see more minutes against the Big East teams to spell Nika, Paige, KK, and Ash. At one point last night, the 4 freshmen and Ines were in against the Creighton starters and they held their own.
Nan I agree with you, I think that in the games where it is a blow-out Geno may play these players for most of the 4th quarter so that the starters get some rest. Currently they have nine healthy players so the 4 that aren't the starters need to spell the starters during the game and in the 4th do most of the playing with either Nika, Paige, KK or Ash sharing the 5th position.

Reaction Score

Agreed. Dawn runs a tight ship in big matchups, having only 6-7 with big minutes against NC, Duke and Utah. Niele is dealing with similar issues as Geno, only playing 6 heavy minutes in the loss against Syracuse.

Reaction Score

Maybe / Maybe not

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
He wont let them!!

College Basketball Sport GIF by NCAA March Madness

Reaction Score

This group of freshmen have the perfect situation that allows them to grow without the pressure the typical true freshmen would feel, Paige and AE. No matter how tough it gets on the floor they will always be playing with two of the best players in the country that will take the pressure off. They both play good defense and that is mostly effort and that should be there every night. Q hasn't really moved into a key role yet but with Aubrey having an injury she might be called on to do more. But she will also have Paige and AE and to me that is what makes the wall they hit a lot softer.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Be really helpful if she could.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
The season thus far could be looked at as three mini-seasons of 4, 5, and 5 games. Pre-Thanksgiving, Thanksgiving to early December, mid-December until now. Somewhat arbitrary, but it has a method to it.

You see ebbs and flows within each mini season and across all of them. There was much handwringing and negative thinking during the second one although there was more than a glimmer of hope at the end of it (North Carolina) and full blown dominance through the third mini-season, marred of course by the injury to Aubrey. Like others I am devastated for her and her family and hoping for the best.

I look at UConn`s next 5 games as the fourth mini-season:

1/7 at GTown

1/10 Providence

1/13 at St. John`s

1/17 at Seton Hall

1/20 DePaul

Although three of them are on the road, these are all games that UConn will be favored to win comfortably. UConn will need to get Ines and Amari on the floor for good portions of the games to keep the minutes down for others. It is a legitimate concern that the Freshman could hit the wall but also other players as well, remember last season when Nika et al were simply playing too many minutes.

Also, to give those two experience in case we need them in important spots down the road.

I could see Geno pressuring hard for the entire first half of these games and, assuming a decent lead is developed, using the end of his bench and playing a "sluff-off" man to man or a zone for much of the second half. The big lead thing may not pan out in every game but it should in three or four based upon our quality of play at this point.

I look on the next five games as a period of building upon what has been developed, shoring up some weak spots, experimenting with some new things, and ideally storing some energy for the daunting "fifth mini-season" to follow which includes road games against Marquette, Villanova and South Carolina, and a home game with Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
If Geno (and Coach P) can get this team to a Final Four after all this, some sort of parade is in order!

When I'm feeling extra optimistic, I think Q will soon get to the point that her perimeter shooting becomes diabolically consistent, and her defense becomes reliably consistent. Can she give Geno at least a few minutes of Aubrey-level disruption at the top of the key, and the rest of the time poaching rebounds and contesting corner 3s? If she can do that, the fall off when she comes in for Ash or Paige or Nika or KK won't be worrisome.

Second thought that happens when I'm thinking: could Q even end up challenging one of them for a starting spot. Or will she become the proverbial 6th woman? Next year, this may be exactly the role that fits sophomore Q, if Jana and Ice start with KK Ash and Morgan -- that's one way the high energy game could be initiated, with Q and Allie rotating in as needed. Or maybe Jana rotates in with Allie while Ice KK Ash Q and Morgan are the starters. Note the recurring theme, that Morgan is a starter, in my view, if Geno wants to play the way they've been going the last couple games. Morgan KK and Ash are hi-octane players.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Unless the policy has changed, one of the things that slogs down freshman, and sometimes the other players, is that they could not live in the dorm/apartments during winter break, so the mundane repetition of practice-hotel-game would mentally grate on them. I also hope it's minimal, and although unfortunate, the last few seasons have probably given the staff a lot of info and tricks as how to keep the players mentally sharp, engaged, and not overwhelmed with everything that could affect them.
The dorms are closed, the apartments are not. If a freshman was living in a dorm, they moved into the apartment during the break and then back into the dorm when classes start. My daughter says the team have all been staying in apartments. I think the last players to live in the dorm were Aubrey and Anna and after that they all lived in apartments together (up the hill from Werth/Gampel).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom