Will Stanford End UConn's Home Winning Streak Record

Will Stanford Stop UConn Home Winnning Streak Record

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
T-J, I don't have the facts to answer whether we could have picked up more players at various times or whether sitting some people endlessly (seemingly) was necessary. I'm quite sure there is no expression of a short-bench philosophy from Geno. It just has kinda felt that way several times, and I would wonder (as would others) about it (sitting), and recruitment both of which have seemed to contribute to the 35 mins per game of a handful of women. The last thing I would do is criticize Geno; I think he's a genius, and I love to watch him think (as I said in the post). My main point was how pleased I am that we have what seems to be appropriate depth this year. It makes bball much more enjoyable for me. Last year seemed like a grind...and I think that's why. So not being critical; I'm a fan of WCBB, not a player, coach or any kind of authority.

Peace.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
T-J, I don't have the facts to answer whether we could have picked up more players at various times or whether sitting some people endlessly (seemingly) was necessary. I'm quite sure there is no expression of a short-bench philosophy from Geno. It just has kinda felt that way several times, and I would wonder (as would others) about it (sitting), and recruitment both of which have seemed to contribute to the 35 mins per game of a handful of women. The last thing I would do is criticize Geno; I think he's a genius, and I love to watch him think (as I said in the post). My main point was how pleased I am that we have what seems to be appropriate depth this year. It makes bball much more enjoyable for me. Last year seemed like a grind...and I think that's why. So not being critical; I'm a fan of WCBB, not a player, coach or any kind of authority.

Peace.

Understood -- and i take your point. It just seem(ed) like some were suggesting that Geno uses a short bench on purpose as opposed to out of reality. Anyone watching what happened when the not-six were on the court should have been able to see the end result -- which was often not pretty.

Monday quarterbacking is fun -- and easy. And I'm not saying don't, for heavens sake. But, try and base it on facts: you can't get all great players, some players don't grow, and some get injured. MJ for instance -- both Geno and on-site game watchers have acknowledged that she doesn't have the legs yet. Maybe next year (we hope). And yet, somehow she should play?

All that being said, it's fabulous to have so many kids who CAN step up. Now people can start grousing about keeping those players happy in minutes. :)

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Ok OC let's see if I've got this straight.

You won last year on your home court by 12 pts. You lost Pohlen (31 pts) and Pedersen (8pts) and we lost Moore (14pts). But you're going to kick the bejesus out of us on OUR home court after flying across the country. Yep, makes sense to me!

As of the time I post this 15 other posters think Stanford wins the game, so it made sense to others too(see poll).
I never said anything about kicking the bejesus out of you. I am hoping for a game about 72-71.
Any game that has OC girls in it is a good game--- KML and LE v BS.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
As of the time I post this 15 other posters think Stanford wins the game, so it made sense to others too(see poll).
I never said anything about kicking the bejesus out of you. I am hoping for a game about 72-71.
Any game that has OC girls in it is a good game--- KML and LE v BS.
Those would be the posters who members of the sure that UConn will never win again contingent and expect the possibility of double digits losses this year.

Reaction Score
Stanford/Clydesdales VS The UCONN Grethounds............Geno will turn this game into a run and gun.....PRESS, PRESS!!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Here are some stats on Stanford. Kokinis is their legit 3 pt shooter 4/8. LaRouge is 2/9. As a team Stanford is shooting 46% in 2 games againest TX and the Zags and averaging 74 pts a game. Neka is shooting 73 % in one game againest the Zags 33 pts 18 rebounds. Chiney is avg 19pts 53%.

My thinking is UConn is better then TX and the Zags so Stanford shouldnt score 74pts againest us . I dont think Neka scores 30 and I dont think Chiney scores 20 and I dont think either can get in foul trouble defending Stef. So we press the guards, plug the passing lanes and run like heck and I think we win.

DrDos

Skimmer
Reaction Score
UCONN could guarantee a win ... if they wear silver unis!

image003.gif

Reaction Score
Coaching counts. Very occasionally , yet over a period of years, I've been calling for the use of a deeper bench AND, specifically, for considering subbing in "waves" at times......running the other team right off the court. Was delighted last night to see that, during a SIGNIFICANT time in the game, Coach did just that. We went on about a 30-2 run.....from what had been something like 11-7, I think. Won't happen every time.....but it'll happen plenty with the depth of talent we have and have had and will have. The folks watching here went happily beserk when he put those three kids in when some of the starters were not performing at the level needed/expected.

So, not yet mentioned in this thread is that one BIG key to this Stanford game ( just as it was last year with ND... and other times), will be coaching......Coach not getting fearful and shrinking the line-up because of playing a better team. May Yarders will say he didnt have the horses in prior years.....I disagree .......and, if he didnt have them, one reason he didnt have them is that he didnt DEVELOP them by doing what he finally did last night...............that is, SHOWING enough CONFIDENCE in them early in the season to put them in the game when the game was one the line rather than in garbage time.......and putting them in as a fresh "block" pumped up to swarm tiring opponents. You don't think those kids are feeling like world beaters today? Coaching decisions, not just coaching comments, communicate very, very important messages.

LEwis says in the press today that Coach is SAYING he wants to utilize all eleven. Lordy, I hope so----then, when the inevitable injuries (sadly, the historical odds are that they surely will occur, to one extent or another..........Shea, Svetlana, Caroline, and on and on and one) we will have confident and prepared replacements ready.....and will not miss out on he banners that could be added (and, could HAVE been added) to the rafters.

Coach and our staff do a marvelous job of recruiting (and of so much else as well). Make use of what you recruit. By the way, in line with this theme: take a look at Johnson (LAST in virtually every time in the four games) and her productivity every time. Geno says she can't run? I bet she gets up and down the floor faster than Dolson????

While i'm at it, I would also suggest not making the game more complicated than it must be, and let the kids like Banks and Houston etc PLAY the way they know how. There isn't just ONE "precisely right" way to be a solid and contributing basketball player on a championship team.

I agree that if you have a deep bench you should use it. I don't know what deep bench you thought he had last year but once he got past Lorin Dixon there was no one he could count on off the bench in a big game.

You can't make a judgement on who should play off the bench because they do well in garbage time. Geno makes his decisions on how the players practice. At this point, it appears he has confidence in eight players. The starters plus the three freshman. He is also hoping Heather can give him some defensive minutes. If Lauren and Michala can earn minutes that would be a bonus. I believe they have a real chance of contributing.

Who is Houston?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA