Will girl be competitive girl High School boys All Stars | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Will girl be competitive girl High School boys All Stars

Reaction Score
I do not really understand why women dunking gets as much attention as it does.

it's not a useful skill in the women's game and I'm not sure it's that's useful even as a proxy for overall athleticism.

seems like there are more players who are semi-capable of it every year for whatever it is worth.

Reaction Score
I don't think women playing with men is particularly useful either. Some of those co-Ed t events can entertain for a bit I guess, but it doesn't really work.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The novelty of a girl playing in a boys basketball game brings to mind Michelle Wie, who received several sponsors exemptions to play in men’s professional golf tournaments in 2006. While Wie had a respectable career on the women’s tour, winning 5 championships including 1 major, she never made a single cut on the men’s tour. In the end, I don’t think Wie’s participation on the men’s tour advanced her career or women’s golf in general.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I don't think women playing with men is particularly useful either. Some of those co-Ed t events can entertain for a bit I guess, but it doesn't really work.
It brings attention to the women’s game and showcases the talent and athleticism of the current game. That’s been the knock on WCBB, that it was too slow and unathletic.

Reaction Score
Ok. Say this slowly. Once a female participates in the game, it’s just an all star game. She will never play in a boys all star game.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I love basketball, both women's and men's. The games have differences, though, and dunks are a part of that. News media in Columbia is always asking Laeticia Amihere about dunking in a game. While it would be cool and the crowd would love it, I'm more interested in just winning.

Reaction Score
The novelty of a girl playing in a boys basketball game brings to mind Michelle Wie, who received several sponsors exemptions to play in men’s professional golf tournaments in 2006. While Wie had a respectable career on the women’s tour, winning 5 championships including 1 major, she never made a single cut on the men’s tour. In the end, I don’t think Wie’s participation on the men’s tour advanced her career or women’s golf in general.
So this is a related story that probably is maybe a bit true, but my father told me he caddied a local event for Babe Zaharias, who is the only woman to make a PGA cut.

He said she could curse with the best of them.

The PGA courses are built to challenge men who are maxing out their physical ability. It's not realistic for women to compete there though I guess another woman might make a cut.

I feel like Sorenstan came somewhat close once, but maybe not.

Last edited:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
So this is a related story that probably is maybe a bit true, but my father told me he caddied a local event for Babe Zaharias, who is the only woman to make a PGA cut.

The PGA courses are built to challenge men who are maxing out their physical ability. It's not realistic for women to compete there though I guess another woman might make a cut.

Babe was an amazing athlete.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

Sorenstam did not come close. She played in the PGA Colonial and missed the cut. She was hitting long irons into the green when the men were hitting wedges. Sorenstam was one of the best women's players ever but she could not compete with men.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Sorenstam did not come close. She played in the PGA Colonial and missed the cut. She was hitting long irons into the green when the men were hitting wedges. Sorenstam was one of the best women's players ever but she could not compete with men.
Distance is only one factor that separates men from women golfers. The golf course setups for PGA tournaments are much tougher than LPGA tournaments. The number of hazards, the length of the rough, pin placements and green speed all make it much harder for women golfers to compete with men.

If you watched any of this week’s PGA Wells Fargo Championship at the tough Quail Hollow CC in Charlotte, and particularly the brutal finishing holes, it’s pretty clear that women golfers don’t have to contend with anything quite as difficult on the LPGA tour.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

There was a little bit of drama to it as I recall.

Looking it up, She ended up missing the cut by four strokes, but was hovering right on it going into the back nine.

Finished ahead of 11 men, so it was a respectable performance. But yes, it's going to be next to impossible to finish well if you are hitting long irons into greens. You'd really have to putt the lights out from distance, I would think.

Reaction Score
A subject that can go down a rabbit hole very quickly and women’s rights have been an issue much longer than my lifetime (born in 1950), but a very politically active female friend of my wife and I has lamented for decades her opinion that rather than women really changing things with the movement, they seem to aspire to emulate men. Sports being a microcosm and all of that, offered as nothing more than food for thought..........

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Video is as of September 13, 2015, but dunks #4, #3. and #2 are very impressive.

Reaction Score
Belibi has thrown down the best dunks by a woman in a game that I've seen.
She was the 2nd and last woman to win the MDAA dunk contest and her dunks were far more impressive than Candace's and she's only 6'2.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Ar 5-3 he could get his whole head and neck above the rim!

fake video ? Thats from a video game. The hornets floor didnt look like that during the Bogues era... and the Charlotte Coliseum didn't have the suites like that either.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom