Will girl be competitive girl High School boys All Stars | The Boneyard

Will girl be competitive girl High School boys All Stars

Reaction Score

Yes, it's a story about a Gamecock and maybe it should, perhaps, be on the General Board, but I HOPE this thread is topically about women's basketball and competitiveness for women players, not our team.

The article says she will compete in the dunk competition, but I have never heard of her having that ability. Would love to see her get a bunch of assists and a respectable point total. I think she can be effective at point.

Thoughts?

1620308966292.png

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Liv also competed in the dunk competition with boys when she was in HS, and there have been a number of coed 3-pt shooting contests as well.

Reaction Score
There are two separate issues. Athleticism (strength) and skill. The former shows distinct differences that will probably be with us forever. There are no women defensive tackles in the NFL. The latter puts women on equal footing. 3 point contests as an example.

Golf May be a good example. Women are as good as men when it comes to shot making. But the reason they don’t succeed when playing in a men’s tournament is the length of the course where strength comes into play.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Raven is on the team with A.J. Griffin, who is very familiar with girls playing basketball.

Reaction Score

Yes, it's a story about a Gamecock and maybe it should, perhaps, be on the General Board, but I HOPE this thread is topically about women's basketball and competitiveness for women players, not our team.

The article says she will compete in the dunk competition, but I have never heard of her having that ability. Would love to see her get a bunch of assists and a respectable point total. I think she can be effective at point.

Thoughts?

View attachment 67287
Maybe she’ll use a springboard.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Liv also competed in the dunk competition with boys when she was in HS, and there have been a number of coed 3-pt shooting contests as well.
It seems to be a common format that the girls do 3 point, the boys do 3 point, and then the winners compete. Caroline Ducharme has won out in 2 contests that I know about this year.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Didn't Candace Parker win the dunk contest at the McD's AA festivities? I remember it was an absolute joke, it really wasn't even a dunk. Barely pushed the ball over the rim, didn't throw it down even slightly. Affirmative action at its worst.

I just don't understand why? Almost any guy over 6' can dunk, and plenty below that height can. Very few women can throw it down, and the few who can have nowhere near the power the men do. There's just no reason to have women compete with men in a dunk contest. None at all. Ever.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Didn't Candace Parker win the dunk contest at the McD's AA festivities? I remember it was an absolute joke, it really wasn't even a dunk. Barely pushed the ball over the rim, didn't throw it down even slightly. Affirmative action at its worst.

I just don't understand why? Almost any guy over 6' can dunk, and plenty below that height can. Very few women can throw it down, and the few who can have nowhere near the power the men do. There's just no reason to have women compete with men in a dunk contest. None at all. Ever.

Maybe if they lowered the goal to 9 feet for the women.. then maybe a female could do a nice dunk. Its a joke if a female wins a dunk contest vs a male. Non of the dunks I've ever seen by a female has been impressive..... no dunking in traffic.... no reverse dunks... none with power... not even sure if there has been a 2 handed dunk by a female. And before any of yall accuse me of being a misogynist, I love women... I love my grandmother, my mother, my aunts, and my sister. :)

Reaction Score
Maybe if they lowered the goal to 9 feet for the women.. then maybe a female could do a nice dunk. Its a joke if a female wins a dunk contest vs a male. Non of the dunks I've ever seen by a female has been impressive..... no dunking in traffic.... no reverse dunks... none with power... not even sure if there has been a 2 handed dunk by a female. And before any of yall accuse me of being a misogynist, I love women... I love my grandmother, my mother, my aunts, and my sister. :)
Ayanna Patterson, UConn '22 commit.

Reaction Score
I hope she balls out.
I would love that, but will be happy enough if she handles the ball well, picks up a steal or two and some assists, maybe a breakaway layup or a couple of open 3 pointers. Basically, if she runs her team's offense efficiently, I'll be happy.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I've used this line before but most female "dunks" are like the bastard child of a dunk and finger roll. That said, they are getting better. Patterson's dunk in the video above is a true dunk. It's not all that impressive, but it is a dunk and is something that she could use effectively in a game.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Slightly exaggerated, she dunked rather easily....didn't barely push it over the rim. Stewart, Hunter and ONO also competed in HS dunk competitions.

I think it's great for women to get more exposure and hype even if they obviously aren't as athletic as their male counterparts. Reality is, if they did a women's dunk contest in HS, only one or two of the women would be able to dunk. If a girl wants to participate, may as well let her than shut her out.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Okay, my memory failed me a bit. Still, watching that, Parker's dunks were so plain and "vanilla" it's ludicrous she won. The boys missed a lot of their attempts, but every single dunk by every guy was way, way better than hers.

Reaction Score
Okay, my memory failed me a bit. Still, watching that, Parker's dunks were so plain and "vanilla" it's ludicrous she won. The boys missed a lot of their attempts, but every single dunk by every guy was way, way better than hers.
I’m sure that played a part in her winning.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I’m sure that played a part in her winning.
It doesn't explain her scoring as high as she did on her dunks. She should've been getting the lowest score possible on those.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Dunks are the most ridiculous part of basketball. It's like a baseball game where you can run into the outfield and throw a baseball over the fence!

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
The question ->

Will girl be competitive girl High School boys All Stars​

The answer ->
Yes a girl can be a competitive girl in a high school boys all-star game. Will she be a competitive player? Uh, no.

Reaction Score
Was I the only one who was confused by the title of this thread?
Nope. I’m a math teacher who often (especially with remote teaching and speaking to a computer all the time) says “hang on, I’m not wording well right now. Let me rethink this” and even I was confused enough to open it ??

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom