Will Calhoun Get Involved | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Will Calhoun Get Involved

Reaction Score
The silence from UConn's so called leadership is deafening. It suggests a strong no confidence vote for KO at minimum, but leadership means leading. You'd think they would be addressing the elephant in the room head-on, reassuring the base that UConn is 100% committed to championship level basketball. Instead of dumping money into softball and soccer, they ought to be investing hard in revenue producing sports that sustain the school's national reputation and allure.
I think the exact opposite. Addressing the issue only suggests there is an issue to be addressed.
Ollie and the leadership have a plan and timeframe. Whatever happened in the off season with the players and coaches didn't happen in a vacuum.

For all we know, Benedict and Ollie could have said this season is shot. Let's rebuild for the next couple seasons to make a run.

It's not what us fans want to hear, but the only thing you'll hear from Benedict is support of the program or we've fired Ollie.

C

Chief00

Is it a personal conflict? Or did Calhoun push the little birdie off the ledge to see if he could fly on his own?
After a 20 win season followed by a national championship, KO got tired of this old guy observing things and telling him what he should do. He was a hot young coach, he did not need that guidance. You will also note in the last 3 years when Ollie talks about coaches he took things from he will mention Larry Brown and others but not Jim.

Reaction Score
I think the exact opposite. Addressing the issue only suggests there is an issue to be addressed.
Ollie and the leadership have a plan and timeframe. Whatever happened in the off season with the players and coaches didn't happen in a vacuum.

For all we know, Benedict and Ollie could have said this season is shot. Let's rebuild for the next couple seasons to make a run.

It's not what us fans want to hear, but the only thing you'll hear from Benedict is support of the program or we've fired Ollie.
Hey, that's possible. I guess the question is if that's the case don't they owe ticket holders paying good money some dose of truth? If it were a company selling a knowingly compromised product, they'd be sued for doing the same thing. I guess the point is at some point honesty is owed and good leadership has a way of communicating and building confidence. I don't see it.

Reaction Score
After a 20 win season followed by a national championship, KO got tired of this old guy observing things and telling him what he should do. He was a hot young coach, he did not need that guidance. You will also note in the last 3 years when Ollie talks about coaches he took things from he will mention Larry Brown and others but not Jim.
That is sad. On so many levels.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
Now that you say that , i recall that was always Larry Brown

Reaction Score
So this excuses how they got waxed today? lol, he's no good either. Hammered by a better team never in the game, sounds familiar.

Way to value one game over the obvious trend . . .

g_smith

made my username before I noticed the UConn theme
Reaction Score
This really bums me out. I remember seeing Calhoun popping his head into the locker room post-game 2014, after the win against St. Joes and said "40 minutes to Madison Square Garden!" then immediately left. Why you wouldn't want that type of guidance and motivation around you is absurd to me. I also don't think Calhoun wanted it this way but has decided to let it play out to show he was right - that Ollie needed more help then he asked for.

C

Chief00

Now that you say that , i recall that was always Larry Brown
Until KO signed his last UConn contract, Larry Brown was the guy who gave him his big pay day. But, still I would have liked to hear a little more credit given to Jim other than this UConn Tough cliche.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Until KO signed his last UConn contract, Larry Brown was the guy who gave him his big pay day. But, still I would have liked to hear a little more credit given to Jim other than this UConn Tough cliche.
Like what? "Thanks for holding the program hostage until they gave me the job?"

C

Chief00

It's clearly apples and oranges to compare the two now. But did KO match Smart's work ethic in the beginning before the things started to go downhill? I remember reading how astute UConn's game plans were in the NCAA run. Was that a committed KO, or Blaney and assistants?
I know Jim had a rule - once it got to tournament time George would do all the scouting reports - not sure if that happened in 2014 too?

Reaction Score
I'm not going to speculate about Kevin's personal life because I don't have first hand information and, "quite frankly," I don't care all that much. I just know he doesn't appear to be the same guy he was when they were cutting down the nets and it's been pretty sad to watch this all unravel. It used to seem like he was built to lead this program. It certainly does not anymore.

Reaction Score
Imagine your dad gifts you with his most prized possession - a Ferrari. And you drive it off a cliff and it explodes into a million flaming parts....

How anxious are you to talk to your dad?

JC recruited Purvis?

Reaction Score
As much as I think Ollie has to go and as bad of a coach I think he is, I definitely feel for the guy. No one want to be a failure; I just think he has no idea what to do. Instead of going outside of his comfort zone he's doubled down on his own line of thinking. Whether or not he realizes it's his fault is a different story. I really think if we didn't win the title he'd be a better coach right now.

If we didn't win the title he'd be unemployed right now. You think he's learned and corrected anything after the recent failures?

Reaction Score
Can someone with actual first hand knowledge post a real summary of ko’s Relationship with Calhoun?

Reaction Score
Hey, that's possible. I guess the question is if that's the case don't they owe ticket holders paying good money some dose of truth? If it were a company selling a knowingly compromised product, they'd be sued for doing the same thing. I guess the point is at some point honesty is owed and good leadership has a way of communicating and building confidence. I don't see it.
So, when an NBA team decides to play for lottery pick, do season ticket holders get money back? When I buy tickets to see LeBron play the Celts, but they decide to sit him, do I get any of the $700 I shelled out back?

You buy tickets and root for the team regardless. That's what the university counts on. When the situation gets to a critical point, changes are made.
I think you're naive to think the school is going to openly discuss the plans that may or may not be happening.

How many times have owners or management openly supported a coach only to fire days or weeks later?

If Ollie is gone, we'll hear it when decision is announced or if someone leaks. Until then, Ollie is coach.

Reaction Score
I’d be careful.

He claims to know inside info but can’t comprehend simple public information.
OK tough guy. Here’s the funny thing, it doesn’t matter who you are behind your avatar, I am certain that I know more than you in this case. And I really don’t care what you think about it aside from your need to be the self righteous compass of an anonymous internet message board. It’s mildly annoying and extremely pathetic.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
OK tough guy. Here’s the funny thing, it doesn’t matter who you are behind your avatar, I am certain that I know more than you in this case. And I really don’t care what you think about it aside from your need to be the self righteous compass of an anonymous internet message board. It’s mildly annoying and extremely pathetic.

Maybe this time. You didn’t exactly kill it before. You were pretty certain that time too...

Ironic that criticism is coming from a self-proclaimed insider hiding behind an avatar.

I’m just telling folks buyer beware before they take you as chapter and verse. You struck out looking last go round.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom