Wiggins Trashes WNBA Culture | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Wiggins Trashes WNBA Culture

Reaction Score
Ten years ago I dated a woman who had been a trainer for the New York Liberty. She described the locker room atmosphere as one in which she was "hit on" constantly and that some players made her uncomfortable (I won't repeat their language) by expressing how desirable she was. She said that the majority of the Liberty's players were lesbians but that not all of them were sexually aggressive towards her. She eventually went to management (yes - to Isaiah himself!) and was re-assigned to the Knicks.

Reaction Score
Is anyone surprised that the WNBA is predominantly filled with gay players. It may not be 98% but I would bet its around 70-75%.

Like it or not, it is one of the reasons the league has a lot of trouble gaining a more mainstream following.

Do you really think that the player's sexual orientation is the reason for low attendance? I think it has a lot more to do with the fact that the majority of male sports fans aren't interested in women's sports and there are not sufficient numbers of women sports fans to fill big arenas never mind most college gyms.
I was watching the Maryland/Ohio State game and noted that the gym was more then half empty.......who wouldn't want to see a game with those two exciting offensive teams and probably only have to pay 10-20 bucks a ticket ?

I'll be the first to admit that I rarely watched women's sports until my daughter started to participate in them during grade school...........even today, I attend high school and college games but have no great interest in attending a WNBA game unless ex UConn players are involved.............

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Ten years ago I dated a woman who had been a trainer for the New York Liberty. She described the locker room atmosphere as one in which she was "hit on" constantly and that some players made her uncomfortable (I won't repeat their language) by expressing how desirable she was. She said that the majority of the Liberty's players were lesbians but that not all of them were sexually aggressive towards her. She eventually went to management (yes - to Isaiah himself!) and was re-assigned to the Knicks.
Wow, a female trainer was moved from a woman's team to men's team to avoid sexual harassment? That's ironic.

You don't say but was it a better environment working for the Knicks?

Reaction Score
Wow, a female trainer was moved from a woman's team to men's team to avoid sexual harassment? That's ironic.

You don't say but was it a better environment working for the Knicks?
Much better. She socialized with a number of the players and their wives. She took a player and his wife on a tour of NYC and on their first visit to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. She worked for the Knicks for about a year and then went into private practice.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I don't have a clue about Wiggens' motives or how she feels about gays. What I do know is that the kind of harassment she alleges really happens. The same sort of thing goes on in the military, although I would guess that the ratio of gay to straight is much different in the military, it is probably closer to the general population.

The reality is, despite the political incorrectness, that many lesbians are very sexually aggressive and fit the behaviors that Wiggens describes.

Reaction Score

Glory Johnson had two babies in the past year - which side does she count on?
I have no idea what percentage of women in the WNBA (or basketball in general) are gay. I would imagine it's high, perhaps very high. But for those of you posting that players have had babies in the last year, what do you think that proves? You might want to "THINK" before you answer.

Reaction Score
So many are Quick to Discredit Candice's Words, but if it was a member of the LGBT Community saying she was bullied, they quickly agree,. even if they don't know all the facts/situation.
I'm not trying to dismiss her perspective - only she and her teammates know what happened, and you should always consider why the environment made someone feel uncomfortable.

But when she makes a statement like "98% of WNBA players are gay" in the same interview where she's promoting her autobiography, it becomes a little tough to take her words at face value.

Reaction Score
Do you really think that the player's sexual orientation is the reason for low attendance? I think it has a lot more to do with the fact that the majority of male sports fans aren't interested in women's sports and there are not sufficient numbers of women sports fans to fill big arenas never mind most college gyms.
I was watching the Maryland/Ohio State game and noted that the gym was more then half empty..who wouldn't want to see a game with those two exciting offensive teams and probably only have to pay 10-20 bucks a ticket ?

I'll be the first to admit that I rarely watched women's sports until my daughter started to participate in them during grade school......even today, I attend high school and college games but have no great interest in attending a WNBA game unless ex UConn players are involved...
No one is making the case that their sexual orientation is the only reason for low attendance. But, right or wrong, men's sports are watched by women in part because some of them find the men attractive and fantasize about them. That is often how male athletes have been marketed. Some men are not going to watch women who they cannot see as being interested in someone like them. Once again, right or wrong, that's the way many people are. Which translates into numbers of eyes on the game. Furthermore, about half of America sees homosexuality as distasteful or even wrong. That is a large number of people. Call them what you want, they are really there.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I feel bad and sad for Wiggins.
If this was her experience, no one deserves that. Whether you're gay or straight, there should be no bullying. And if this was her experience, good for her for speaking up about it. An action will not stop unless it is acknowledged first. However, when you are accusing a person, group of people, and an entire league of bullying, it's extremely important to be 100% factual in your claims. Otherwise, the rest of your statements will be looked upon as hearsay.. Then you add in that she is writing a book. The way she went about this is not one that I would suggest.
No one deserves to be bullied because of sexual orientation. That word bullying is too readily applied to situations that do not deserve it, usually to create an emotional response. All professional leagues have a rights of passage which could easily be spun as bullying. For example NBA rookies are required to bring donuts and coffee to morning practices. Candace Wiggins is a Stanford educated woman who was in the WNBA for almost a decade. If bullying did happen, Candace was smart enough to recognize it, was more than capable of speaking out well before she decide that she was done with the WNBA and wanted to sell books.

Fanmomma

UCONN WBB ALL DAY
Reaction Score
Clearly Candace was not comfortable in the league and this story is about that. In my opinion all the general statements she makes are likely based on real feelings and her single experience which is a narrow point of view framed by her own view of the situation. I don't believe taking it as a blanket description of the league is right but clearly that's what is presented here.

My grandmother had 5 kids. 2 of those five kids felt that they had the best upbringing ever; the next 2 felt that my grandmother did the best she could and felt that they had stable and loving environment but it was a little strict but agree that it could have been worse; and 1 spent her whole life degrading and blaming everyone else in the house for her terrible upbringing. She blamed them for her having to grow up in a house that was too strict for her which made her go out and marry the first guy who offered to marry her and was subsequently in a very bad marriage.

I'm just saying I am sure that the WNBA is not perfect, far from it but it I'm sure also isn't for everyone. The decision to stay and play was hers. And I am sure that there could have been other factors that played into her issues with teammates. I followed her alot online when she first went into the league and she was clear on who she was and what her point of views were. But hey, maybe she's perfect and no one else is.

That what my aunt thinks, everyone else made life tough for her. And til this day she's never done anything wrong or questionable to anyone. lol.

Not saying she didn't have a rough time, but this is clearly a very narrow POV and one sided story.

Reaction Score
Who has criticized her Feelings?

I criticized her use of a patently false number. THAT calls her honesty into question.

I don't doubt that she didn't fit in well. I doubt the reasons were as tidy as she suggests.

I was not suggesting that you were. I was just commenting off your thread post with my general thoughts on the matter. Apologize if it was taken differently. My point was how can anyone state she is wrong or right because they were not there, nor do they have the context of the perceived bullying. To dismiss it as if its totally false because she was using hyperbole to stress a point is naive; but also to think she may not be exaggerating in certain areas because she was hurt in some manner is equally naive. Need to get more info..... that's it.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Wiggins invoked a persistent and harmful stereotype about women's sports generally and the WNBA specifically - the players are lesbians and straight women are unwelcome. In doing so, she made a blatantly false statement, i.e."98 percent".

I don't know if she is a homophobe or not, but she made false statements and propagated a hurtful stereotype about women's sports and gay athletes. I didn't use that word but I understand why others might. If I see a two-legged waterfowl walking around and quacking, I'm not going to consult a biologist before using the word "duck".
So only homophobes can make stupid statements?

I'm not defending Wiggins's statements - they were stupid and obnoxious - but they don't prove she's a homophobe, especially given her past support of the LGBQ community.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
So only homophobes can make stupid statements?

Not only did I not say that, it's an intentional distortion of what I did say - "I don't know if she is a homphobe or not".

Reminder - Donald Sterling received a lifetime achievement award from the NAACP and was scheduled to get a second before his racism was exposed. The fact that she made pro-gay statements in the past does not preclude her from being a homophobe in the present.

NAACP reverses decision to give Donald Sterling a Lifetime Achievement Award

Reaction Score
Well if Candice is trolling or hyping to create interest in her book, it looks like it's working on the BY. However, as of last night, the original interviewer - San Diego Union-Tribune - was the only publication I could find carrying the story. This morning there are articles from Deadspin, The Guardian and SFGate, but all they do is quote the Union-Tribune story. ESPNW hasn't touched it so far - either with an article, video rant or even the published tweets down the right side. I wonder if they plan to just ignore it.

Reaction Score
I hope she is not going to release a book or autobiography soon ...

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Well if Candice is trolling or hyping to create interest in her book, it looks like it's working on the BY. However, as of last night, the original interviewer - San Diego Union-Tribune - was the only publication I could find carrying the story. This morning there are articles from Deadspin, The Guardian and SFGate, but all they do is quote the Union-Tribune story. ESPNW hasn't touched it so far - either with an article, video rant or even the published tweets down the right side. I wonder if they plan to just ignore it.

I have a feeling ESPN (probably Voepel) will address Candice's comments, but it will take time because she'll want to do lots of due diligence, look into whether or how Candice's claims can or cannot be substantiated, get quotes from different people who played with Candice, etc. This is not the type of article that gets done in a day or two.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I have a feeling ESPN (probably Voepel) will address Candice's comments, but it will take time because she'll want to do lots of due diligence, look into whether or how Candice's claims can or cannot be substantiated, get quotes from different people who played with Candice, etc. This is not the type of article that gets done in a day or two.

Monique Currie already did...and Monique took the high road.

Official Blog of Monique Currie :: Perception is Real: Candice Wiggins' Truth

Excerpt from Currie's blog:

I feel awful that Candice had these experiences while playing in the WNBA but I encourage her to not only speak out about the negative aspects of her career but also shed light on how we can prevent this from ever happening again. The WNBA gave you a platform to emerge as an advocate for HIV/AIDS in which you have a very personal connection. The WNBA supported you, worked with you, gave you a voice. Why now? Why bring down the league you say you want to be successful? Why not uplift, advocate, and encourage young women to be themselves as you were during your playing days. Let young girls know that it's ok to be "different", teach them how to overcome, how to survive and to come out on top. Your voice will be much more appreciated and received that way.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Monique Currie already did...and Monique took the high road.

Official Blog of Monique Currie :: Perception is Real: Candice Wiggins' Truth

Excerpt from Currie's blog:

I feel awful that Candice had these experiences while playing in the WNBA but I encourage her to not only speak out about the negative aspects of her career but also shed light on how we can prevent this from ever happening again. The WNBA gave you a platform to emerge as an advocate for HIV/AIDS in which you have a very personal connection. The WNBA supported you, worked with you, gave you a voice. Why now? Why bring down the league you say you want to be successful? Why not uplift, advocate, and encourage young women to be themselves as you were during your playing days. Let young girls know that it's ok to be "different", teach them how to overcome, how to survive and to come out on top. Your voice will be much more appreciated and received that way.

Monique's blog post is really outstanding, compassionate and nuanced, and I am thankful for it. But it could emerge quickly because, as a personal blog from an "insider" point of view, it didn't require extensive research and third-party editing. An ESPN article would by necessity be vastly different in character and voice.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
So for 8 years you get bullied and just now speaking up about it. Jealous?? She sounds like the only jealous player because her career didn't go quite as well she as she wanted. And do she think all Volleyball players are straight?? Sad to even come with this true or not. I like Wiggins and loved her game. I'm sure some young girls do too but scare now to even wanna play in the WNBA after reading this article
My sentiments exactly. Maybe she felt discomfort at times from situations and I was never in her shoes, but there is no doubt some exaggerations here. I dated a lady that played in the WNBA. She is now married with four children. Never have I ever heard her say things like this.

I do feel Wiggins she is throwing some seriously shady accusations at the league and if you're a player in the league, she is jeopardizing your future in a story that most mainstream media will jump on. Had it been a feel good story about her time in the league and her goal to pursue other interests, the distribution of the message would have been far less publicized.

She was a good player, but her time in the WNBA was cut short for a few reasons, most notably was equally talented wing players. Let's not forget her rather large role on the Lynx until the draft of one player - Ms. Maya Moore.

I started disliking Candice Wiggins for one reason and I know the exact moment in time and I can't see past the irony. It was Indianapolis on April 3rd, 2011. Candice's Stanford team had already lost to Texas A&M. I probably wouldn't have noticed her except for how vocal she was being in favor of ND as they were beating UConn. IIRC, she was/is pretty good friends with the very female and heterosexual Skylar Diggins and was rooting for she and the Irish very vociferously that game. That didn't sit well with me.

CW1-2.jpg

I may have been so upset because it was the last time this happened - Maya Moore running off of the floor as a member of the UConn Huskies. Then, Maya was drafted by the Lynx and the rest is history.

MM1.jpg

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I probably wouldn't have noticed her except for how vocal she was being in favor of ND as they were beating UConn. IIRC, she was/is pretty good friends with the very female and heterosexual Skylar Diggins and was rooting for she and the Irish very vociferously that game. That didn't sit well with me.

You dislike her because she was rooting for her friend?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom