Wichita state gaining steam | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Wichita state gaining steam

Reaction Score
Fair question, I'm not sure.

He's getting paid over $3 million to be there. There are a grand total of seven coaches in the country who get paid more. He makes more than Ollie, now. The Koch's are stuffing money into the program right now. His job is probably forever secure if he wanted to stay there.

So if money's not an issue and job security isn't an issue and your program is seeing MILLIONS thrown into it... why on earth would you leave to Coach Wake Forest for a couple bucks more (initially) and have a gun to the back of your head the whole time and have to deal with a bunch of over anxious rednecks?

Reaction Score
Sooner the better. If we can get our s__ together this really should be a quality basketball conference. At this point, Marshall has turned down plenty of mid tier P5 jobs and I can't really see him leaving in the foreseeable future. He likely wouldn't be in the mix for the absolute best blue blood jobs (just my opinion) but doesn't see mid tier jobs like NC State and Illinois (I belive he turned both down) as being more enticing than his current gig. His best fit would probably be the Cuse, Ville, UCONN tier.

Reaction Score
I was going to say - I could see him heading to a Syracuse maybe... or a UConn...

But even at that - why rebuild something when you've already got something going on and are getting paid stupid money for it?

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I was going to say - I could see him heading to a Syracuse maybe... or a UConn...

But even at that - why rebuild something when you've already got something going on and are getting paid stupid money for it?
Because a better program requires less work to achieve the same result, or the same work can produce a better result. At some point you have to consider that a good coach, which Marshall has clearly proved he is, would benefit from working at a bigger school that recruits itself.

Reaction Score

The upside. Marshall has landed a total of one 4* recruit! And Van Vleet fell outside of the top 100 on the composite rankings. He obviously has an amazing ability to recognize and develop talent. Imagine if he was sorting through players from the 30-80 spots instead of 150-300.

Reaction Score
Sooner the better. If we can get our s__ together this really should be a quality basketball conference. At this point, Marshall has turned down plenty of mid tier P5 jobs and I can't really see him leaving in the foreseeable future. He likely wouldn't be in the mix for the absolute best blue blood jobs (just my opinion) but doesn't see mid tier jobs like NC State and Illinois (I belive he turned both down) as being more enticing than his current gig. His best fit would probably be the Cuse, Ville, UCONN tier.
I agree. But we need more teams I have said VCU Dayton San Diego State even bring back TCU Boise State and northern Illinois (or is it Iowa)and we have a fairly well rounded all around conference

Reaction Score
I agree. But we need more teams I have said VCU Dayton San Diego State even bring back TCU Boise State and northern Illinois (or is it Iowa)and we have a fairly well rounded all around conference

I think SDSU is too far. The fact that we are in a conference with teams like Texas is ridiculous enough. TCU is in the Big12. I'm actually o.k. with keeping the league at 12 teams for football. I think people who only follow basketball would be surprised with how decent the AAC is (I am sad that I am o.k. with using decent as a compliment). Dayton is fine historically but they just lost Miller, who was BY FAR the most successful coach there. Can't do that one. VCU would be a nice addition for basketball only - they have proven to be successful with a number of coaches. Capel, Grant, Smart, Wade all moved on and the program doesn't seem like it skipped a beat.

Reaction Score
If you didn't think UConn was here to stay in the AAC long term before, I hope this news shows you that the cement is finally drying.
The whole thing will collapse within 10 years. Book it.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Six to seven. We will either be in a P5 B1G, ACC, Big 12 or a weakened Big 12 or BE/indie football hybrid. No way will we be in the AAC after the 2024/2025 season. The AAC may still survive but it will be without us.

Reaction Score
The upside. Marshall has landed a total of one 4* recruit! And Van Vleet fell outside of the top 100 on the composite rankings. He obviously has an amazing ability to recognize and develop talent. Imagine if he was sorting through players from the 30-80 spots instead of 150-300.

Oh sure, it's less work, but is he really going to get those at say, an Illinois? Or Wake Forest? Because really the only place he's going to go would be one of those super top tier jobs. He's already turned down offers from schools that fall in that category (and I think he spurned Illinois already)... if that was the reason - wouldn't have had plenty instances of said reason to go already?

And you could also argue that the higher you go, the more competitive it gets...

Reaction Score
Six to seven. We will either be in a P5 B1G, ACC, Big 12 or a weakened Big 12 or BE/indie football hybrid. No way will we be in the AAC after the 2024/2025 season. The AAC may still survive but it will be without us.
Exactly, no need to worry about the long-term health of this conference. We won't be in it much longer one way or the other. Might as well as add a good b-ball program while we're here.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I wish I was half as optimistic about conference realignment as you guys.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If you're not worried about the future of the American, you don't know enough about conference realignment.

Get comfy.

Reaction Score
Maybe AAC can interview multiple schools and then choose none of them. This will help make us feel better after the Big 12 debacle.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Count me in as a pro-WSU guy. We are probably screwed if we are in the AAC in 10 years. One question about Marshall - has he actually turned down any upper echelon jobs? I feel like he has said no thanks to advances from the Alabamas and Illinoises of the world. I know Miller and Mack are the presumptive favorites for the Indiana job but that's a job I can see Marshall taking.

The rumors are there, but no hard evidence. His history though, suggests that he may not be a big school kind of guy. He's from SC. Played at Randolph Macon (DIII in VA). Became an assistant there after. He was an assistant at College of Charleston during their big run. Then Marshall as asst. and then HC at Winthrop. He was very successful at Winthrop. WSU pays him $3.3M. About what we pay Ollie, and among the top salaries in the country. I think he's pretty comfortable there. In much the same way Calhoun turned down South Carolina and stayed at Connecticut and became a legend, he could do the same at Wichita State. That appeals to some guys. It would appeal to me. Do you know how far $3.3M a year goes in Wichita?

I think it's a good move for the league. I cringe when I read from posters who don't want another team for UConn to lose to. We need to be pushed. The last time we were truly good was when we had Louisville to push us. It's how UConn rolls. We have to get the league wide power indexes up to become more than a two bid league. They are in a great travel spot for most of the league. Their fans show up (I know several WSU fans). Any UConn game at WSU will be sold out and rocking. Don't you think our guys miss that?

Reaction Score
There is really no short term downside to this. With some of the scrub programs showing signs of life, this could be a 5 bid league next year with WSU in it. The schedule might not be full of the old rivals posters love, but it would have plenty of good basketball teams on it.

Reaction Score
I wish I was half as optimistic about conference realignment as you guys.
I am talking about college sports. When tv money drys up, and govt research stops, schools will drop sports or go dIII/ivy route. Would you support other schools if your school was left out? I wouldn't.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom