Wichita state gaining steam | The Boneyard

Wichita state gaining steam

Reaction Score
20 years from now Wichita State might be Idaho State.

How many people 20 years ago thought we would be playing against Tulsa, ECU and Tulane twice a year? In my opinion you try to make the league as strong as you can. Believe it or not, if the AAC added a few good bball programs, the league would actually have the chance to make more $$ with credits from the NCAA bball tournament than they do with their entire media deal. Right now, the entire AAC media contract is worth approximately $18M per year for the league ($1.5M/school). If we added 3 schools, the media dollars would drop to about $1.3M/school.

Here's where it gets interesting. Last year, one win from the NCAA men's tournament was worth $1.59M. If the 3 added teams can win (on average) one NCAA tournament game per year, the league actually takes in about $1.64M per school. You can argue that Witchita State, Dayton and VCU won't make the tournament every year nevermind winning a game, but realistically it's probably a wash at best. If you can improve the perception of the league in terms of quality of basketball, you also help increase your chances of putting more teams in the tournament, keeping current teams like UConn, Cincy and SMU relevant and improving recruiting.

Reaction Score
It's almost like the conference is thinking...

"Gee, if the basketball teams are better, then the basketball is better. If the basketball is better, then more people will watch. If more people watch, we might make more money."

Crazy. Unreal, but crazy if true.

Reaction Score
While I'm a LITTLE wary of adding Dayton and VCU - I think Wichita State is a slam-dunk no brainer. You'd have one football-only school. You'd have one hoops-only school. Both help immensely. To me there's just absolutely nothing to hate about Wichita in this league. While it might be a hit up front, it likely pays for itself eventually.

And to people cutting up the pie in here - if the plan is to leave anyway - who cares? Get the most you can in terms of maintaining the reputation of your program in this league and leave. At least the AAC's making an effort to try to make the conference better.

Reaction Score
It's almost like the conference is thinking...

"Gee, if the basketball teams are better, then the basketball is better. If the basketball is better, then more people will watch. If more people watch, we might make more money."

Crazy. Unreal, but crazy if true.

But we're adding tiny markets and marginal schools. Even if the programs are good, the schools themselves and the markets suck. These schools will be feeding off of UConn. This is bad.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Witchita made the NCAA tournament one time in the 20 years before Marshall got there. Even after he got there, it took him five or six years before he got them back.

Butler was good before Stevens got there - Thad Matta and Todd Lickliter were both successful, made the postseason yearly and both were hired to better gigs as a result.

Wichita is committed to their athletic program - no doubt. But they're not a slam dunk to keep winning should Marshall leave and their margin for error is no where near Butler's.

Plus, it really is a dreadful school in a podunk state that's 1,600 miles from Storrs.

Reaction Score
So we leave a (better) basketball-only conference because "football drives the bus", and then begin adding basketball-only schools to our new conference?

Reaction Score
The one thing adding Wichita would do, would be to allow the league to split into two divisions. This would allow for a 16 game schedule, leaving plenty of room for ooc games. It would suck that UConn's division would have ECU, and the Florida schools (although UCF looks like an up and comer), while games with Memphis, SMU, and Houston would be reduced to once a year, but the reduction in travel, and opportunity to play good teams ooc would be worth it.

Reaction Score
So we leave a (better) basketball-only conference because "football drives the bus", and then begin adding basketball-only schools to our new conference?
UConn is only here to keep football alive in the hope that a P5 invite will come. Why not try to improve hoops in the meantime. Going to the BE means giving up football. That's fine, but if the P5 breaks away, a BE UConn is DEAD! That is what they fear, and is the reason why they are desperate for that P5 invite.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Just what the league needs, more travel, terrible academics and no sustained history of success!

Isn't the fact we already play in a league with Tulane and ECU enough punishment?

Reaction Score
If Gregg Marshall leaves, Wichita State becomes just another awful academic school in a small, distant state.

I don't disagree with your point, but you could say this about at least 10 other programs in the country. What happens is Few leaves Gonzaga? What if Bennett leaves Virginia? Those programs would not be the same. We already have a league composed of awful academic schools in small distant states, so the downside is you add one more. As others have already stated, Uconn's plan is to get out of this league. Might as well try to make it respectable in the meantime. I know you guys are all in the football train, but the networks ain't backing up a truckload of $$ for the football product the AAC is putting on the field.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Is Indiana State or University of San Francisco not available?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't disagree with your point, but you could say this about at least 10 other programs in the country. What happens is Few leaves Gonzaga? What if Bennett leaves Virginia? Those programs would not be the same. We already have a league composed of awful academic schools in small distant states, so the downside is you add one more. As others have already stated, Uconn's plan is to get out of this league. Might as well try to make it respectable in the meantime. I know you guys are all in the football train, but the networks ain't backing up a truckload of $$ for the football product the AAC is putting on the field.

We're not talking about inviting ten other programs, we're talking about Wichita State. And their metrics are miserable every which way.

They're a bad school in a small market. At their best, they add zero to the conference bottom line - ESPN is not going to up the take because the conference has WSU.

If they're anything but their best, which is all but certain if Marshall leaves, they are a disaster.

Reaction Score
If anything, at least it could add a team to this conference that can be a top 50-75 RPI team every year so they can help with that and SOS. Wichita St currently has an RPI of 40. I wouldnt hate this if it happened. Id rather play Wichita St than Tulane.

Reaction Score
This conference will always be sh.it for bball as long as we have those bottom feeders in it. Sadly, we are one of those right now.

Reaction Score
I would bite the bullet and add UMASS. I would rather play them than UCF, USF, ECU, Tulane, etc.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
If you didn't think UConn was here to stay in the AAC long term before, I hope this news shows you that the cement is finally drying.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom