Wichita St. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Wichita St.

Reaction Score
Can’t really complain about attendance given the reality of live sporting attendance. Pretty much down everywhere. That is the overarching factor.(attendance was falling for UConn hoops as far back as 2008 and never really rebounded after either the 11 or 14 titles). Then add an on campus game during break (this is CT after all and 90% of people believe that they need passports to cross town lines never mind drive to Storrs) an unattractive opponent in Tulane and the fact that we have ranged between not too good and pretty bad for 5-6 years and attendance is not likely to be very good. Most undergrads there now have never experienced an NCAA tournament appearance never mind a National Championship. And going to games isn’t really a thing among today’s students

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
I was flipping between the WBB game and the Wichita-Memphis game last night and Wichita looked really, really good. They look like a more offensively capable version of the good Cincy teams. Bulk down low, active rebounders, shot making, etc.

Being at home + an early start should help us, but it’s going to take an exceptional effort to pull this off.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
They were a top team in the country a few years ago, lost all their seniors and have since rebuilt the program to elite status again

While we were cellar dwellers the whole time, I really don't get it. I don't think they get better classes either.

Not one 4 star recruit

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They were a top team in the country a few years ago, lost all their seniors and have since rebuilt the program to elite status again

While we were cellar dwellers the whole time, I really don't get it. I don't think they get better classes either.

Not one 4 star recruit
To quote the movie Miracle

I’m not looking for the best players Craig. I’m looking for the right ones.

People keep prioritizing star rankings. Those only go so far. You need the right skills and attributes to fit the system that you’re going to be playing.

Reaction Score
They had/have a better coach. Not hard to figure out. Wish they were coming to the Big East with us. Would be a great addition for the Midwest with Marquette, Depaul, Creighton, Butler, Xavier.

Would love to see a future league that looks like this:
MidWest: Marquette, Depaul, Creighton, Butler, Xavier, Wichita, Cincinnati
East: UConn, Providence, Seton Hall, St Johns, Villanova, Georgetown, Temple

Please don't attack me over how unrealistic this is because of football, etc.

Reaction Score

Not one 4 star recruit

Gregg Marshall is an incredible coach.

I've talked in the past about how Dan Hurley has never had a top 50 KenPom offense and people said "You shouldn't expect it at Rhode Island or Wagner because he didn't get the talent and we've been rebuilding. Ollie's guys, etc."

Gregg did it 6 times while Wichita was still in the MVC. "Oh but he had Fred Van Vleet, Ron Baker, and Cleanthony Early." He made those guys, not the other way around. He had a top 50 offensive season at Winthrop.

Once again, I'm not saying Hurley can never do it or that the offense won't improve with better talent. It will. But there are some guys who can coach offense, and that's not Hurley's forte. We prioritized the best culture changing and defensive coach available. We're going to need to be patient on the offense.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
watching that game this am, the only noteworthy thing for me about Wichita is their 24/7 intensity, which is fundamental to winning in college hoops. so, if we are truly woke to the intensity thing, this is the game to bring it. if we do, I like our chances

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
We did beat Wich St last year at home by 20, and only lost to them by 2 on the road without JA). This is doable.

Reaction Score
We did beat Wich St last year at home by 20, and only lost to them by 2 on the road without JA). This is doable.

on an extremely difficult buzzer beater. We can win, but need to get off to a good start and not make dumb mistakes

Reaction Score
They had/have a better coach. Not hard to figure out. Wish they were coming to the Big East with us. Would be a great addition for the Midwest with Marquette, Depaul, Creighton, Butler, Xavier.

Would be a great basketball conference but scrap the divisions. Divisions are dumb in basketball.

Reaction Score
on an extremely difficult buzzer beater. We can win, but need to get off to a good start and not make dumb mistakes
That’s the big key in my eyes too. Neither team is the type to shoot the lights out. UConn is 217th with a 48.2% eFG and Wichita is 203rd. The difference is that Wichita takes better care of the ball. They are also a much better rebounding team than UConn, so hopefully we can stay hungry on the boards; looking at you Polley.

Wichita struggles scoring inside like UConn, so I don’t think Akok can carry the defense. They score out in the perimeter. Our guards are going to have to close out on shooters and force them to either take contested shots, or try their hand driving into the #1 shot blocking frontcourt in the country.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
That’s the big key in my eyes too. Neither team is the type to shoot the lights out. UConn is 217th with a 48.2% eFG and Wichita is 203rd. The difference is that Wichita takes better care of the ball. They are also a much better rebounding team than UConn, so hopefully we can stay hungry on the boards; looking at you Polley.

Wichita struggles scoring inside like UConn, so I don’t think Akok can carry the defense. They score out in the perimeter. Our guards are going to have to close out on shooters and force them to either take contested shots, or try their hand driving into the #1 shot blocking frontcourt in the country.
that's a good thing, right? someone should tell the 'are we improved' thread.

pj

Reaction Score

You really think you're improving the Big East by adding Temple, Cincy, and Wichita State?

Reaction Score

Not one 4 star recruit
Etienne is a 4 star from Jersey, and is Grant Sherfield, a Wichita native. He was a UCLA recruit that decommitted after Alford was fired. They are both freshmen so we have them for a bit.

This WSU fan is sad to see UConn leave the AAC, but it makes complete sense to me, though I don't know how to calculate the football aspect. As much as WSU fans think of our program, it was a thrill to be in a conference with a four-time NCAA champion.

Best of luck in the BE and it would be great to have a 2, or four game schedule sometime in the future.

I wish I could make the game, but I am going to the Chiefs game.

BTW we have Lew Perkins in common, of course. I was a junior at WSU when Perkins aced the WSU football program in the Fall of 1986.

Reaction Score

Even with that, UConn will be the only NCAA regular season games I watch. Most my watching will still be NBA games.

Reaction Score
6 ranked teams on our sched this year at this point so a win here could not be more important for NCAA and turn around hopes. Not just another game. Hurley should treat this like a tourney elimination game.

Reaction Score

Please don't attack me over how unrealistic this is because of football

doesnt do to dwell on the impossible...but leaving football out of it, xavier and nova would never ever agree to let their biggest cross-city rival join. i agree with Wichita but VCU is the other clear choice: no football, best midmajor bball program, no geographic conflict, and keeps the conference nucleus in the east. dont need even divisions for bball.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We have better players they have a better coach. Let's see how this works out.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Etienne is a 4 star from Jersey, and is Grant Sherfield, a Wichita native. He was a UCLA recruit that decommitted after Alford was fired. They are both freshmen so we have them for a bit.

This WSU fan is sad to see UConn leave the AAC, but it makes complete sense to me, though I don't know how to calculate the football aspect. As much as WSU fans think of our program, it was a thrill to be in a conference with a four-time NCAA champion.

Best of luck in the BE and it would be great to have a 2, or four game schedule sometime in the future.

I wish I could make the game, but I am going to the Chiefs game.

BTW we have Lew Perkins in common, of course. I was a junior at WSU when Perkins aced the WSU football program in the Fall of 1986.

Best of luck to you and your program. You obviously have a pretty darn good coach

As for the Chiefs, enjoy the moment, because the Titans are going all the way

:cool:

Reaction Score
Obviously haven’t attended many XL games because slipping hasn’t been an issue so far.

So far the refs have had to stop play twice in the first five minutes due to what? Condensation. Seen this too many times in the past.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom