Whyebusi? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Whyebusi?

Reaction Score
That's my point. Down 2 there, you're playing reasonably for a tie (quick foul, hope the shooter misses one, get lucky with a forced 3) and thus OT. If you think your walk on is just as capable as some of the bigs at giving a foul -- which no one here disagrees with -- putting him in was fine.

As this thread has shown since I commented on your post, the problem was the combination of an unusual result (the forced 5 second violation) with neither the refs nor the UConn staff understanding the rule that you could take him right back out before the offensive possession.
You missed my point - there were 4 players that could have given that foul - you didnt need Temi.

Reaction Score
Gaffney had 0, Akok had 1, Gilbert had 2 and Carlton 3. Only Whaley and Adams were in danger of fouling out

Had Carlton been in the game, Houston would have successfully inbounded the ball. The walk-on (not trying to spell his name) guarded the guy who sprinted in from the front court just before the 5 second call. He would have been able to outrun Carlton.

Reaction Score
You missed my point - there were 4 players that could have given that foul - you didnt need Temi.

In that situation, everyone on the court has to be ready to give a foul. You can't plan on if they get the ball in to whomever Adams is guarding Gaffney getting over to him and giving the foul. By the time Gaffney gets there the ball could be in the air back to his man and the clock is running.

It was beyond rational to make the defensive substitution. It was smart. And it worked. The problem, as I said, is that the refs screwed up by not letting us take him back out, and our bench screwed up by not being ready to explain the rule to the ref and make them look it up.

Reaction Score
He's talking about putting a walk on in to foul the other team, which yes I will second that I've seen it used by other coaches
Oh that ? Of course. I thought he meant put in a walk on on offense to possibly get last second shot which I’ve never seen in my life. My b.

Reaction Score
That's my point. Down 2 there, you're playing reasonably for a tie (quick foul, hope the shooter misses one, get lucky with a forced 3) and thus OT. If you think your walk on is just as capable as some of the bigs at giving a foul -- which no one here disagrees with -- putting him in was fine.

As this thread has shown since I commented on your post, the problem was the combination of an unusual result (the forced 5 second violation) with neither the refs nor the UConn staff understanding the rule that you could take him right back out before the offensive possession.

Exactly here. Hurley needed a body to foul. Lesson learned is that a player who comes in doesn't have to play a second to come out.

Reaction Score
Sorry but the kid should have made that shot, bench player or not. It was a wide open / uncontested 5 footer. Sure all players have missed it, but all D1 players should be able to make that shot even with the pressure. Ain't like he's not capable. I bet he feels worse than any fan or even his teammates. Hell if he makes it we're tied, with no guarantee of victory. (I do wish he shot that 3 initially though)

Just saying, he's a D1 college basketball player who missed a wide open short shot, end of story.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom