Whyebusi? | The Boneyard

Whyebusi?

Reaction Score
After the incredibly stupid T by Houston that put us back into the game, Hurley pulls an even more inexplicable move. We had Adams, Gaffney, and Akok still available to try to hit something. Why? Why? Nancy Kerrigan whyyyyyyyyyy?

Look in the other threads and you'll find your answer. Do you really think he (1) was put in the game for the purpose of the offensive set, (2) had a play designed for him, or both?

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Once again I whiff on the obvious. I didn't realize he was in the game until they were inbounding the ball - thought he came in on that play. Then again I just finished watching at 1am after being up since 5am the previous day, so I'll cut myself a small bit of slack.

Reaction Score
Look in the other threads and you'll find your answer. Do you really think he (1) was put in the game for the purpose of the offensive set, (2) had a play designed for him, or both?
No. That’s why it makes even less sense. Gaffney was having a ok shooting game. Any other player has a better chance to but that just based on pt and being thrown in cold. No walk on gets this opportunity bc they shouldn’t

Reaction Score
Akok was cold the whole game what makes you think him guarded is better than Temí open. You hit some and you don’t.

Reaction Score
Akok was cold the whole game what makes you think him guarded is better than Temí open. You hit some and you don’t.
Disagree. He NEVER plays unless its a blowout and that's in the last 2 min. and under. Poor call. You live and die with the more experienced players. Even if he made the shot... in my opinion its a dumb move.

calluke

#FreeHat!
Reaction Score
You guys are missing the point that they got the five second call in the first place in large part due to the people that were in the game.

If he's that good on defense he should play more.

BTW, Houston called a timeout after that play. Hurley could have subbed him out.

Reaction Score
Disagree. He NEVER plays unless its a blowout and that's in the last 2 min. and under. Poor call. You live and die with the more experienced players. Even if he made the shot... in my opinion its a dumb move.

We were running out of players. I doubt DH drew the play for him.

We’re hot metal in the fire of basketball affliction....our time is comin

Reaction Score
Temi should have never been in to begin with, even if one of the scholarship players foul out. It's a chance you take. The alternative of having a walk on in during those last 7 seconds is unacceptable.

Reaction Score
Temi should have never been in to begin with, even if one of the scholarship players foul out. It's a chance you take. The alternative of having a walk on in during those last 7 seconds is unacceptable.

Seen it done many times, by many different coaches.

Reaction Score
If he's that good on defense he should play more.

BTW, Houston called a timeout after that play. Hurley could have subbed him out.
That’s not the case, and even if it was then it’s the officials problem, not Hurley’s. He wanted to make a substitution and was told he could not
He could not sub out because no time came off the clock after the 5 second call and Houston time out.

Reaction Score
Doesn't make it the smart thing to do. The old saying 'If everyone jumped off a bridge...

With all due respect, you could not be more wrong. We have 9 scholarship players. Three had already fouled out, and 3 or 4 of the others had at least 3 fouls, and we were trying to force an OT. Down 2, without the ball, 7 seconds left, you are playing to give a quick foul. Putting in a walk on athletic and fresh enough to give the foul was absolutely the smart thing to do. Because Houston didn't put the ball in play -- when any middle school players knows that if you can't get it in you're better off throwing it in the air to mid court rather than suffering a 5 second call -- was not a high percentage bet. Because the ball never came into play, you couldn't sub out the walk on.

We did lots of things that cost us the game over 40 minutes. That was not one of them. The need to blame coaches for things happening is not something I understand.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
With all due respect, you could not be more wrong. We have 9 scholarship players. Three had already fouled out, and 3 or 4 of the others had at least 3 fouls, and we were trying to force an OT. Down 2, without the ball, 7 seconds left, you are playing to give a quick foul. Putting in a walk on athletic and fresh enough to give the foul was absolutely the smart thing to do. Because Houston didn't put the ball in play -- when any middle school players knows that if you can't get it in you're better off throwing it in the air to mid court rather than suffering a 5 second call -- was not a high percentage bet. Because the ball never came into play, you couldn't sub out the walk on.

We did lots of things that cost us the game over 40 minutes. That was not one of them. The needs to blame coaches for things happening is not something I understand.

I'll say this -- I will change my tune about the substitution depending on what Hurley was told by the officials. Looking at the rule, it appears that he could have made a substitution -- any substitution -- not because of the timeout, but because of the violation by Houston.

Reaction Score
I was totally getting a Hoosiers moment as I watched the end of the game. "Ollie, we need you!!"

Reaction Score
Not a dumb move.

Everyone else was being heavily guarded and he couldn't find anyone. He got himself a great look and nearly made it.

Shut ur mouths and move on anyone questioning the walk on's decision to take the shot doesn't know simple basketball. NOBODY WAS OPEN. Young man made the right play. Hurley used Temi as a runner down the middle to try and create space for anyone else but at the end of the play, he had to get the ball and made the best out of it.

God this board is making me lose brain cells

Reaction Score
I'll say this -- I will change my tune about the substitution depending on what Hurley was told by the officials. Looking at the rule, it appears that he could have made a substitution -- any substitution -- not because of the timeout, but because of the violation by Houston.

I don't have a rule book in front of me (and need to get to work), but the rule has always been when you enter the game you can't be subbed out before the ball is put in play. Temi came in after the foul shots and the ball was given back to UConn without ever being put in play. This is not a unique situation. I've seen this happen numerous times over the years.

Reaction Score
I don't have a rule book in front of me (and need to get to work), but the rule has always been when you enter the game you can't be subbed out before the ball is put in play. Temi came in after the foul shots and the ball was given back to UConn without ever being put in play. This is not a unique situation. I've seen this happen numerous times over the years.

I quoted the rule in another thread.

"A player who has been withdrawn or replaced by a substitute may re-enter the game at the next opportunity to substitute, provided that the game clock has been properly started after the withdrawal or replacement (Exception: A replaced player is not subject to this restriction and may re-enter the game at the next opportunity to substitute when the opponents have committed a violation or foul (personal or technical) before the game clock has been properly started)"

Sounds like he could have subbed anyone in, and was told he couldn't. Once Houston committed a violation, free substitution is allowed.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
Not a dumb move.

Everyone else was being heavily guarded and he couldn't find anyone. He got himself a great look and nearly made it.

Shut ur mouths and move on anyone questioning the walk on's decision to take the shot doesn't know simple basketball. NOBODY WAS OPEN. Young man made the right play. Hurley used Temi as a runner down the middle to try and create space for anyone else but at the end of the play, he had to get the ball and made the best out of it.

You're wrong. Gilbert was wide open at the top of the key.

The issue isn't with the kid taking the shot. The problem is Hurley being a bad in-game coach and putting him in that position without proper direction.

Of course the kid got an open look. Sampson begged him to. We got punked.

First, he shouldn't have been in the game. After the Houston violation, the sub could be made. Setting aside the fact that no one on the bench knew the rules, we had the whole timeout to come up with a game plan for the last 7 seconds and face planted. Again.

On any in bounds play since the history of basketball, there's multiple options with different directions depending on where the ball goes. Obviously, the walk-in is the last/release option. He's there to get the ball in and pass it on to start whatever play is drawn up. Not to take over the game and put up a low percentage, first shot of the year with 5 seconds left. Which, by the way, would have only tied it up if that goes in.

The fact that this is what was covered, or more specifically was not covered, in the huddle is the issue. Hurley is not coaching to put these guys, as very limited as they are, in a position to win down the stretch. Story of the season.

We're 3-11 in games decided by 6 points or less in the Hurley era. Forget the last 7 seconds last night, every game is playing out the same way in the last few minutes. Think it was 19-9 last night down the stretch. It's turnovers, missed free throws, missed assignments on D, poor shots near the end of shot clocks. Empty possessions.

We have enough evidence to see the pattern clearly. At some point, a coach needs to be able to manage around that.

3-11

Reaction Score
Not a dumb move.

Not questioning Temi - he did what he should have done. Hurley shouldn't have put him in that position.

Reaction Score
You're wrong. Gilbert was wide open at the top of the key.

The issue isn't with the kid taking the shot. The problem is Hurley being a bad in-game coach and putting him in that position without proper direction.

Of course the kid got an open look. Sampson begged him to. We got punked.

First, he shouldn't have been in the game. After the Houston violation, the sub could be made. Setting aside the fact that no one on the bench knew the rules, we had the whole timeout to come up with a game plan for the last 7 seconds and face planted. Again.

On any in bounds play since the history of basketball, there's multiple options with different directions depending on where the ball goes. Obviously, the walk-in is the last/release option. He's there to get the ball in and pass it on to start whatever play is drawn up. Not to take over the game and put up a low percentage, first shot of the year with 5 seconds left. Which, by the way, would have only tied it up if that goes in.

The fact that this is what was covered, or more specifically was not covered, in the huddle is the issue. Hurley is not coaching to put these guys, as very limited as they are, in a position to win down the stretch. Story of the season.

We're 3-11 in games decided by 6 points or less in the Hurley era. Forget the last 7 seconds last night, every game is playing out the same way in the last few minutes. Think it was 19-9 last night down the stretch. It's turnovers, missed free throws, missed assignments on D, poor shots near the end of shot clocks. Empty possessions.

We have enough evidence to see the pattern clearly. At some point, a coach needs to be able to manage around that.

3-11

Go to 25:12

Gilbert was not open to begin with resulting in Temi getting the ball. I'm sure based on the reaction when Temi got subbed out that coaches knew Temi should've fed Gilbert the ball top of the key. I see where AG is open but Temi was in an end game situation with piles of pressure on him and we had like 3 schollie players fouled out. But to be fair, Temi made a GREAT play with a shot fake and got himself a great look.

Again, the reaction from Temi and the coaches when he got subbed out and even when he missed sums it up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom