Whyebusi? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Whyebusi?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Go to 25:12

Gilbert was not open to begin with resulting in Temi getting the ball. I'm sure based on the reaction when Temi got subbed out that coaches knew Temi should've fed Gilbert the ball top of the key. I see where AG is open but Temi was in an end game situation with piles of pressure on him and we had like 3 schollie players fouled out. But to be fair, Temi made a GREAT play with a shot fake and got himself a great look.

Again, the reaction from Temi and the coaches when he got subbed out and even when he missed sums it up.

I didn't rewatch it this morning but last night I really felt for the kid. He had an open look and he shot it. After he came out he looked like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders, like he let everyone down. I feel for the kid.

I really don't know who I want taking the last shot anymore. I don't feel like anyone is money.

Reaction Score
I didn't rewatch it this morning but last night I really felt for the kid. He had an open look and he shot it. After he came out he looked like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders, like he let everyone down. I feel for the kid.

I really don't know who I want taking the last shot anymore. I don't feel like anyone is money.
I honestly thought that his shot was better than AG taking a three at the top of the key considering that Gilbert was not feeling his rhythm based on his really bad free throw shooting yesterday. Gilbert was like 3-11 FG and 1-7 FT. I know many fans want the schollie players to be taking the shots, but Temi made a good play, just didn't go down for the kid.

Reaction Score
I quoted the rule in another thread.

"A player who has been withdrawn or replaced by a substitute may re-enter the game at the next opportunity to substitute, provided that the game clock has been properly started after the withdrawal or replacement (Exception: A replaced player is not subject to this restriction and may re-enter the game at the next opportunity to substitute when the opponents have committed a violation or foul (personal or technical) before the game clock has been properly started)"

Sounds like he could have subbed anyone in, and was told he couldn't. Once Houston committed a violation, free substitution is allowed.

Don't want to sound like a lawyer, but that says that whomever Temi came in for could have come back in after the 5 second violation. It does not say that the player who was substituted in can come out before the game clock starts.

You very well may be right, in which case I will stand corrected and live and learn, but the rule you quoted doesn't answer the question.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I honestly thought that his shot was better than AG taking a three at the top of the key considering that Gilbert was not feeling his rhythm based on his really bad free throw shooting yesterday. Gilbert was like 3-11 FG and 1-7 FT. I know many fans want the schollie players to be taking the shots, but Temi made a good play, just didn't go down for the kid.
Haha I don't know what I wanted either. My thought process was "no, no, yes, yes... NOOOOO! Ah sheet..."

Reaction Score
Don't want to sound like a lawyer, but that says that whomever Temi came in for could have come back in after the 5 second violation. It does not say that the player who was substituted in can come out before the game clock starts.

You very well may be right, in which case I will stand corrected and live and learn, but the rule you quoted doesn't answer the question.

The very next clause states "A player who legally enters the game during a dead ball may leave the game during that same dead-ball period without penalty"

Reaction Score
The very next clause states "A player who legally enters the game during a dead ball may leave the game during that same dead-ball period without penalty"

That's it.

Then I didn't know the rule. That having been said, I'm neither a ref nor a coach. The refs need to get that one right and Hurley needs to politely tell them to pull out the rule book there if necessary. There is something to blame him for.

Gilbert, Adams, Gaffney, and 2 of our bigs should have been on the court then. Damn.

Reaction Score
That’s not the case, and even if it was then it’s the officials problem, not Hurley’s. He wanted to make a substitution and was told he could not
H

The next line in the rulebook is clear:

k. A player who legally enters the game during a dead ball may leave the game during that same dead-ball period without penalty.

Reaction Score
I don't have a rule book in front of me (and need to get to work), but the rule has always been when you enter the game you can't be subbed out before the ball is put in play. Temi came in after the foul shots and the ball was given back to UConn without ever being put in play. This is not a unique situation. I've seen this happen numerous times over the years.
I need someone to explain to me why we didn't get the ball initially, after the technical?

Reaction Score
I need someone to explain to me why we didn't get the ball initially, after the technical?

Because on a dead ball technical called on the bench, you stop play, have the foul shots, and then resume the game where it was before the technical. the refs got that one right.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I do wish he'd have shot the ball when he first caught it wide open. Rapidly dribbling in for a mid range shot probably didn't help his chances

Reaction Score
Seen it done many times, by many different coaches.
I never have - you’re telling me youve seen a situation where you’ve seen a walk on take a last second game tying or game winning shot?? Really ?

Reaction Score
It was definitely a good look.
He shudda just took the three we had no chance in overtime bad decision all around on everything. U can’t make this stuff up. We create ways to shoot our selves in the foot time and time again

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Because on a dead ball technical called on the bench, you stop play, have the foul shots, and then resume the game where it was before the technical. the refs got that one right.
Wasn’t on the bench it was on Jarreau. I trust your interpretation of the rules though.

Reaction Score
I never have - you’re telling me youve seen a situation where you’ve seen a walk on take a last second game tying or game winning shot?? Really ?
He's talking about putting a walk on in to foul the other team, which yes I will second that I've seen it used by other coaches

Reaction Score
Wasn’t on the bench it was on Jarreau. I trust your interpretation of the rules though.

You are correct. My bad.

But who the dead ball T is on doesn't change that you break, shoot the Ts and then revert to where you were.

Reaction Score

Reading comp, my friend. Seen walk-ons put in to foul quite a bit.

Reaction Score
I wish Hurley had put you in.

I just wonder if the player wasn't supposed to shoot a 3 and he put it on the floor instead. He was in a position to take a 3. However, typically with that amount of time somebody gets the ball near midcourt takes a few dribbles and launches. You also may draw a foul.

Reaction Score
I think Hurley told them he wanted to make a sub and the refs told him he can't.

Reaction Score
Disagree. He NEVER plays unless its a blowout and that's in the last 2 min. and under. Poor call. You live and die with the more experienced players. Even if he made the shot... in my opinion its a dumb move.
There literally weren't five players he could sub in to foul who wouldn't subsequently foul out. He was in there on the inbounds play exclusively to foul.

Reaction Score
He shudda just took the three we had no chance in overtime bad decision all around on everything. U can’t make this stuff up. We create ways to shoot our selves in the foot time and time again
Based on the video from post # 24 and stopping at the 25:18 mark, I think if he took the 3 the ball would have been swatted to the upper decks.

Reaction Score
Based on the video from post # 24 and stopping at the 25:18 mark, I think if he took the 3 the ball would have been swatted to the upper decks.

Very likely. At the least, he was entirely rational in worrying about the shot being blocked and getting off a good 2 instead.

I can't believe I need to rally behind you being the voice of reason. That's what a day it's been!

Reaction Score
There literally weren't five players he could sub in to foul who wouldn't subsequently foul out. He was in there on the inbounds play exclusively to foul.
Gaffney had 0, Akok had 1, Gilbert had 2 and Carlton 3. Only Whaley and Adams were in danger of fouling out

Reaction Score
Gaffney had 0, Akok had 1, Gilbert had 2 and Carlton 3. Only Whaley and Adams were in danger of fouling out

That's my point. Down 2 there, you're playing reasonably for a tie (quick foul, hope the shooter misses one, get lucky with a forced 3) and thus OT. If you think your walk on is just as capable as some of the bigs at giving a foul -- which no one here disagrees with -- putting him in was fine.

As this thread has shown since I commented on your post, the problem was the combination of an unusual result (the forced 5 second violation) with neither the refs nor the UConn staff understanding the rule that you could take him right back out before the offensive possession.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom