Why would the ACC add UConn? | The Boneyard

Why would the ACC add UConn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The ACC just expanded their conference by adding two mediocre (I'm being charitable to Syracuse) football programs (albeit with some history of past success and decent-sized fanbases). Why does a seeming consensus of people on this board think it's logical for the ACC to add another mediocre football program, one with almost no following to speak of and one that plays in a nothing market? If the ACC wanted UConn, why wouldn't they have coordinated the addition of UConn at the same time they added Pitt and Syracuse? Are we supposed to believe the ACC doesn't have UConn's phone number? Did you people also believe the Patriots were going to move to Hartford?

Reading this board is like listening to Veronica explain why Archie inviting Betty to the prom is a sign that he's really in love with Veronica. It's embarassing.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
"a nothing market"

LOL

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
gee I don't know Dave, you think Uconn vs Duke, Syracuse or UNC in hoops is worth anything to ESPN?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
he has a point. the thing that worries me is that we want the ACC but does the ACC want us? of course from the hoops side they would love UCONN, but it's all about football. small stadium, small fan base, semi-decent market. it's a huge win for UCONN if we go, but (and i'm not trying to be stupid), from the ACC's perspective, what does UCONN really add on the football side? if they have to split revenues even more, how do they justify adding UCONN (not saying they shouldn't either - just unsure how the $$ shakes out)...

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Why are YOU here exactly??? For a school that has nothing to offer our board certainly draws a lot of troll like you.
The ACC just expanded their conference by adding two mediocre (I'm being charitable to Syracuse) football programs (albeit with some history of past success and decent-sized fanbases). Why does a seeming consensus of people on this board think it's logical for the ACC to add another mediocre football program, one with almost no following to speak of and one that plays in a nothing market? If the ACC wanted UConn, why wouldn't they have coordinated the addition of UConn at the same time they added Pitt and Syracuse? Are we supposed to believe the ACC doesn't have UConn's phone number? Did you people also believe the Patriots were going to move to Hartford?

Reading this board is like listening to Veronica explain why Archie inviting Betty to the prom is a sign that he's really in love with Veronica. It's embarassing.

Reaction Score
"a nothing market"

gee I don't know Dave, you think Uconn vs Duke, Syracuse or UNC in hoops is worth anything to ESPN?
It might be worth something, but this move is about football, not basketball, and adding UConn waters down an already watered down conference even more.

If the ACC was interested in adding UConn, don't you think the logical thing for them to do would have been to ask UConn to join their conference? For some reason, they didn't do that. I don't view this fact pattern as being very encouraging.

Reaction Score
Why are YOU here exactly??? For a school that has nothing to offer our board certainly draws a lot of troll like you.
I'm a UConn alumnus and fan who happens to be viewing this series of events rationally rather than hyper-optimistically. What are people here pinning their hopes on exactly? Basketball writers close to the program saying the ACC is interested? Do you think their source for that interest is coming from the ACC or our athletic department? Time to wake up.

Reaction Score
This guy is an idiot. UConn is a national brand and the entire state of CT is our home market. BC doesn't even have market penetration in their own market. BC knows that it's over for them if UConn goes to the ACC. They will become even more irrelevant and that is why they can't fathom the thought.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Pitt and Cuse really have markedly more "decent-sized" fanbases? Says who?

Reaction Score
The fact that last week the Boston globe had a front page article on their website when geno made the comment thatvye didnt think we'd win the national championship sort of debunks the no market theory. Uconn gets nearly as much play here as bc.

willie99

Reaction Score
The ACC is holding out hopes that maybe they can still land a bigger fish. Once the B12 issues are resolved and we know where TX is going, all the other chips will fall into place

If the ACC expands to 16 and TX is off the table, UConn will become it's next best option because of market, athletic success and academics. The ACC will want to solidify the northeast corridor, and UConn does that

For now, the ACC took two teams to protect itself in case they lost two teams to the SEC

none of us know anything for certain, but that's my read on the landscape

Reaction Score
The fact that last week the Boston globe had a front page article on their website when geno made the comment thatvye didnt think we'd win the national championship sort of debunks the no market theory. Uconn gets nearly as much play here as bc.

Exactly. We are also covered by the NY media. Our actual market is CT, New England and New York. UConn is easily the best college sports brand in the Northeast.

Reaction Score
Does this moron realize Uconn is in the NYC market as we are on SNY, Uconn was the 4th biggest team in NYC

Reaction Score
Dave, I'm trying to be charitable, but you're delusional. Perhaps you missed your Prozac dose today. You premises are false, ab initio hence your entire argument is fallacious. I don't have the energy to lay it all out for you. Go back to the PC board or wherever you normally reside.

Reaction Score
Because even though our gpa is mediocre, we wrote really nice essay in our "application".

willie99

Reaction Score
I'm a UConn alumnus and fan who happens to be viewing this series of events rationally rather than hyper-optimistically. What are people here pinning their hopes on exactly? Basketball writers close to the program saying the ACC is interested? Do you think their source for that interest is coming from the ACC or our athletic department? Time to wake up.

you haven't been reading enough, there's a whole lot more to the story than what you just said, and none of it is based on what some reporter "thinks"

Reaction Score
The ACC took Pitt and Syracuse first for 1 and maybe 2 reasons. First, they were the logical geographical adds for the B10. By adding them, they took them from the B10's reach. Now UCONN and Rutgers, which are geographically less appealing to the B10, are available for the ACC whenever they wish. If the ACC took UCONN and Rutty first, the B10 might have grabbed Pitt and SU before the ACC had a chance. Neither conference would add all four at once because they want ND, Texas or both and are saving room for them at this point.

Second, UCONN was loyal to the Big East and didn't ask the ACC for membership. Pitt and SU were opportunisitc and quietly asked for admittance. It was easy for the ACC and a brilliant move.

UCONN is not a small market, it is a med/semi-large market school. It generates big revenue and is a national brand.. It is also the best basketball school (men's and women's) in the country. It is strong academically and has the support of the state. The football program has steadily improved and has been heavily invested in including some of the very best facilities in the country. UCONN is not a lesser add than Pitt or Cuse in any sense. It is a less strategic add at this point. Again, brilliant work by the ACC, but not a knock on UCONN.

Reaction Score
This guy is an idiot. UConn is a national brand and the entire state of CT is our home market. BC doesn't even have market penetration in their own market. BC knows that it's over for them if UConn goes to the ACC. They will become even more irrelevant and that is why they can't fathom the thought.
By most objective measures, I'm actually a fairly bright guy. We are a national brand in basketball and have a national following in basketball. We are non-entity in football nationally. And Boston is a bigger market than Hartford. I don't think BC has that much influence in the ACC, but I would actually bet that contra to your argument, they are actually one of the only schools (other than the basketball powerhouses) that would be pushing to add us just for the chance to start up a regional rivalry.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
The ACC is holding out hopes that maybe they can still land a bigger fish. Once the B12 issues are resolved and we know where TX is going, all the other chips will fall into place

If the ACC expands to 16 and TX is off the table, UConn will become it's next best option because of market, athletic success and academics. The ACC will want to solidify the northeast corridor, and UConn does that

For now, the ACC took two teams to protect itself in case they lost two teams to the SEC

none of us know anything for certain, but that's my read on the landscape

This.

Reaction Score
By most objective measures, I'm actually a fairly bright guy. We are a national brand in basketball and have a national following in basketball. We are non-entity in football nationally. And Boston is a bigger market than Hartford. I don't think BC has that much influence in the ACC, but I would actually bet that contra to your argument, they are actually one of the only schools (other than the basketball powerhouses) that would be pushing to add us just for the chance to start up a regional rivalry.

I actually think they are one of the few trying to keep us out with FSU, VT, and Miami being the others. BC for regional marketing issues and the rest for football considerations.

btw If you really are a UConn fan I'm sorry I called you an idiot. I assumed you were a BC troll......

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Well said

The ACC took Pitt and Syracuse first for 1 and maybe 2 reasons. First, they were the logical geographical adds for the B10. By adding them, they took them from the B10's reach. Now UCONN and Rutgers, which are geographically less appealing to the B10, are available for the ACC whenever they wish. If the ACC took UCONN and Rutty first, the B10 might have grabbed Pitt and SU before the ACC had a chance. Neither conference would add all four at once because they want ND, Texas or both and are saving room for them at this point.

Second, UCONN was loyal to the Big East and didn't ask the ACC for membership. Pitt and SU were opportunisitc and quietly asked for admittance. It was easy for the ACC and a brilliant move.

UCONN is not a small market, it is a med/semi-large market school. It generates big revenue and is a national brand.. It is also the best basketball school (men's and women's) in the country. It is strong academically and has the support of the state. The football program has steadily improved and has been heavily invested in including some of the very best facilities in the country. UCONN is not a lesser add than Pitt or Cuse in any sense. It is a less strategic add at this point. Again, brilliant work by the ACC, but not a knock on UCONN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom