Why would the ACC add UConn? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Why would the ACC add UConn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
The ACC is holding out hopes that maybe they can still land a bigger fish. Once the B12 issues are resolved and we know where TX is going, all the other chips will fall into place

If the ACC expands to 16 and TX is off the table, UConn will become it's next best option because of market, athletic success and academics. The ACC will want to solidify the northeast corridor, and UConn does that

For now, the ACC took two teams to protect itself in case they lost two teams to the SEC

none of us know anything for certain, but that's my read on the landscape
+1 Cuse Pitt are like Wake and GT and a stop gap of losing FSU and VT.

Reaction Score
some of you guys are really being overly aggresive towards Dave. he brings up a valid point that if the ACC wanted UConn, they could've had us by now, and everyone started acting like a 5 year old towards him. his thought it's unreasonable and it's comes off as silly when people start with the personal insults just b/c they don't like where that would leave us.

i think if either the ACC or BigTen takes us, it'll likely be with Rutgers under the assumption that the sum is worth more than it's parts in terms of "claiming the NYC market", but who knows? maybe expansion is done for now. Texas wants to keep the Big12 as their lackies and ND wants to keep the BE as theirs. if they're the two "holy grails", and therefore control all of this, why wouldn't they keep the status quo? even if Mizzou goes to the SEC that doesn't necessarily mean any more dominoes will fall, other than maybe some collateral damage to the MWC/CUSA if the B12/BE reloads at their expense.

Reaction Score
The theory that Cuse and Pitt were added to prevent them moving to the B1G is just as viable, if not more, than the "If the ACC wanted UConn, they'd have them" theory. Both SU and Pitt have long been rumored as potential targets of the B1G. Also, Pitt was targeted by the Big 12 as an addition recently. UConn was a target of neither conference, thus the ACC adds the two they might lose to another conference.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
some of you guys are really being overly aggresive towards Dave. he brings up a valid point that if the ACC wanted UConn, they could've had us by now, and everyone started acting like a 5 year old towards him. his thought it's unreasonable and it's comes off as silly when people start with the personal insults just b/c they don't like where that would leave us.

i think if either the ACC or BigTen takes us, it'll likely be with Rutgers under the assumption that the sum is worth more than it's parts in terms of "claiming the NYC market", but who knows? maybe expansion is done for now. Texas wants to keep the Big12 as their lackies and ND wants to keep the BE as theirs. if they're the two "holy grails", and therefore control all of this, why wouldn't they keep the status quo? even if Mizzou goes to the SEC that doesn't necessarily mean any more dominoes will fall, other than maybe some collateral damage to the MWC/CUSA if the B12/BE reloads at their expense.
I have no objections to his questioning the outcome for UConn. There was no need to put down people in his op. That is where he drew the fire. It was the attitude towards posters rather than the suggestion UConn could be in trouble that I, and probably many others, had regarding his statements.

Reaction Score

Its not Dave its that Connorcrouch or whatever his name is that is a .

Reaction Score
You people are certifiable if you think uconn captures any kind of relevant tv market outside of cowtown storrs. Fairfield county, the area that matters because it's populated and has all the money (residents went to real colleges and make actual money) has a bigger Fairfield U following than uconn. People in fairfield county simply don't care about uconn. As for Boston, no freaking way. Providence College has a 10x bigger footprint than uconn in the bean. Get serious, outside of hartford, nobody cares.

This board is entertaining. I love reading about the strength of women's basketball as a determining factor in an acc invite.

The ACC isn't happening for you. Rumor is BC has more than enough votes to keep you out, and as long as their AD is in charge, your invite won't come. It's all about football, and your product brings nothing, it's pure economics.

The notion that BC would want to block UConn is beyond stupid.

Reaction Score
You people are certifiable if you think uconn captures any kind of relevant tv market outside of cowtown storrs. Fairfield county, the area that matters because it's populated and has all the money (residents went to real colleges and make actual money) has a bigger Fairfield U following than uconn. People in fairfield county simply don't care about uconn. As for Boston, no freaking way. Providence College has a 10x bigger footprint than uconn in the bean. Get serious, outside of hartford, nobody cares.

This board is entertaining. I love reading about the strength of women's basketball as a determining factor in an acc invite.

The ACC isn't happening for you. Rumor is BC has more than enough votes to keep you out, and as long as their AD is in charge, your invite won't come. It's all about football, and your product brings nothing, it's pure economics.

Funny. I live in Fairfield County and am a season ticket holder, as are some of my friends here in town. It's been fun watching local Faiefield County guys like Glen Mourning (Danbury), Emmanuel Omokaro (Danbury), Trevardo Williams (Bridgeport) head to Storrs and play for the Huskies. I look forward to seeing Casey Cochran (Masuk-Monroe) head there next year. Not to mention UConn's most famous football alum (probably) is Dan Orlovsky (Shelton) - also Fairfield County. Do me a favor and don't speak for all of us here.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
If they didn't care about academics why didn't they accept West Virginia? They have a top 20 football team and basketball is getting better all the time. Yet they got turned down by the ACC in making your assumptions incorrect.

I understand why the ACC added Pitt and Syracuse, and why they did it when they did it. The loyalty argument sounds nice, but it just doesn't wash. It's fairly obvious based on the current scrambling being done that, had the ACC called UConn and said that Pitt and Syracuse are coming over that we would have jumped at the offer. I just don't understand this leap where the ACC didn't think they should do that for some reason, but it's still cool because they will obviously take us down the road. The ACC presidents didn't get together and vote on this and then suddenly remember afterwards that UConn exists.

The ACC doesn't cares about our academics and obviously we are making an effort to make them put a lot of weight into the national following for our men's basketball. But all of this nonsense is driven by football, where we just aren't very significant.

Reaction Score
If they didn't care about academics why didn't they accept West Virginia? They have a top 20 football team and basketball is getting better all the time. Yet they got turned down by the ACC in making your assumptions incorrect.

TV

Reaction Score
The theory that Cuse and Pitt were added to prevent them moving to the B1G is just as viable, if not more, than the "If the ACC wanted UConn, they'd have them" theory. Both SU and Pitt have long been rumored as potential targets of the B1G. Also, Pitt was targeted by the Big 12 as an addition recently. UConn was a target of neither conference, thus the ACC adds the two they might lose to another conference.
Those aren't competing theories. The ACC likely did take Pitt and Syracuse because they were worried that the Big 10 would take them. That seems completely plausible to me. But they also could have chosen to take UConn then if they wanted to and they didn't, which isn't just plausible theory, it's what actually happened. Not taking UConn was a conscious decision they made on Saturday. Is something going to happen to change their mind? Maybe, but I'm not really sure what that would be considering our football program isn't very good and doesn't draw a lot eyes. It's true that they may have calculated that they could get UConn anytime they wanted later if nothing better came along, but that puts us in the same position as a lot of mildy attractive women who in the end never go home with the guy they really wanted to because he found a better option. The idea that Calhoun has to go beg those jerkoffs to take us into their conference makes me sick to my stomach.

My whole point in starting this thread is that the ACC taking Pitt and Syracuse as the first dominoes to fall in this farce is almost the worst possible outcome for UConn and the consensus on the board seems to be that it will be really cool when we join the ACC and boy does it suck to be one of the teams on the outside looking in. WE are one of those teams on the outside looking in! This situation really, really blows.

Reaction Score
Those aren't competing theories. The ACC likely did take Pitt and Syracuse because they were worried that the Big 10 would take them. That seems completely plausible to me. But they also could have chosen to take UConn then if they wanted to and they didn't, which isn't just plausible theory, it's what actually happened. Not taking UConn was a conscious decision they made on Saturday. Is something going to happen to change their mind? Maybe, but I'm not really sure what that would be considering our football program isn't very good and doesn't draw a lot eyes. It's true that they may have calculated that they could get UConn anytime they wanted later if nothing better came along, but that puts us in the same position as a lot of mildy attractive women who in the end never go home with the guy they really wanted to because he found a better option. The idea that Calhoun has to go beg those jerkoffs to take us into their conference makes me sick to my stomach.

My whole point in starting this thread is that the ACC taking Pitt and Syracuse as the first dominoes to fall in this farce is almost the worst possible outcome for UConn and the consensus on the board seems to be that it will be really cool when we join the ACC and boy does it suck to be one of the teams on the outside looking in. WE are one of those teams on the outside looking in! This situation really, really blows.
Dave, I don't think anyone disagrees with the substance of your missive. It's more the tone. But yes, Syracuse and Pitt outrank us badly in the college football pantheon. They are fallen royalty, we are new neighbors who own a chain of Dunkin Donuts shops. We are not royalty. But there is no reason for the ACC to hold at 14. Not likely. And they have made a partial investment in sewing up the east coast market. They have spent too much to let it get away. Notre Dame and Uconn or Rutgers would seal the deal. If no ND, then UC and RU are in play. Not definite, not a sure thing, but in play.

Reaction Score

Man, this is just a misinformed post, at least about Fairfield U's draw. Nice little campus overlooking the sound. I know. I went there. Even I have no interest in Fairfield U. No one does. You must be a complete troll to post this.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I agree to a point but academics play a roll on some level.

They definitely do. Pitt is an AAU school, so was attractive to the big ten. Cuse just lost AAU status last year, and realized that it killed their hopes of a Big Ten invite. ACC scooped them up. RU is also AAU and as a UConn alumn I'm not afraid to say their academic profile beats UConns for sure. WVU on the other hand is a horrible add. Bad academics, no markets to speak of and good teams to make the existing teams look worse.

UConn has strong all sport teams and great hoops. Mediocre research reputation. I hope it is enough.

Reaction Score
The only thing worse than BCU fans are BCU fans not smart enough to get in.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
The only thing worse than BCU fans are BCU fans not smart enough to get in.

That seems to be every BCU fan I've ever come in contact with.

Section205

I'm just filled with useless information.
Reaction Score
I was going to play nice but can't resist the opp. Time to break out the T-shirt

backupcollege_large.jpg

Reaction Score
The only leveage we have with the ACC is fear by the ACC of Uconn and Rutgers going to the B1G
If that were to happen New York and New England woild become B1G country
Syracuse is not the City.
Cuse and BC would be dead without another Rival
The ACC would become a non factor everywhere
If I'm a Pro Uconn ACC team this is my agrument to the non believers and faint hearted

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
this is a cute theory. get that HUGE hartford market into B1G country then. How would BC be dead without yukon as a rival, they've prospered in the ACC without a true natural rival and Cuse and Pitt will now make a more natural one to go along with Clemson and NCSU. Being left out hurts, YUKON VS. ECU ... FEEEEEL THE EXCITEMENT IN THE NEW BIG EAST.

By BC standards, you know what, you have prospered!

A few NCAA Tourney bids, nice job there with the hoops.

A few solid bowl games, like the grand daddy of them all the Kraft Fight for Hunger Bowl.

BC, where mediocrity is actually prosperity.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
BAHAHAHAHAHA. Desperation is a stinky smell. BC hasnt been a name since they stopped playing UCONN ???? Since they stopped BEATING UCONN (as far as I remember yukon has NEVER been competitive with BC) BC has played in 2 ACCCG and besides last year, has been in contention to get back to the game each year. BC has developed a stronger, more competitive rivarly with Clemson than those gnats from cowtown CT.

yukon is gonna help BC get back on top ?? Yeah maybe as a guaranteed win each year. oh no wait, thats not gonna happen b/c the puppies are going to rot away in the BE forever, WELCOME BACK TO 1-AA. Nice try hoophound. You think sueconn gets press in greenwich ? HAHAHAHAH. NOPEEEEE nice try pal.

Shoot me an email when you get laid for the first time, junior. For now, turn off your computer and finish your homework.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom