Why Was Geno Displeased With Gabby vs. Colgate? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Why Was Geno Displeased With Gabby vs. Colgate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Kiah would have made it difficult of those driving to the basket to score--she did that regularly and well. As a down low scorer she was exceptional as she proved in her final (NC) game against ND, while accepting passes and scoring (good hands). She had proven that she could score the 3 and shoot from 10 feet but got chewed pretty good from Geno in the Stanford game after taking and missing (rolled around the rim) a 10 ft shot.
-ista, Reality--perception!! She could, she does hit the long shot. Lambeer didn't teach her to shoot that shot, she had it--he only gave her the green light to shoot it. Comfortable with it?? Who knows. She scored those shot regularly in HS. Perception?? REality?? Playing in the shadows of KML and Stewie it wasn't necessary for her to shoot beyond a layup. Reality?? Perception??
If Kiah Stokes was as great offensively with everything you stated above- she would have been the first pick in the draft. And the brick she took in the Stanford game was the shot that won the game for Stanford. She received the ball near the 3 pt line, panicked like she did most of the time with rhe ball in her hands. And we were only 8-10 seconds into our shot clock, and all we needed to do was run the clock and get fooled. Rushing up a shot that she proved over 4 yr's in college she couldn't make, was worse than the brick she threw up. Geno was as pissed about her panicking early in the clock and taking the dumbest shot in the world. She would have played 35 minutes a game if she could play offense. You are dreaming with your revisionist history. Great athlete, great rebounder, great shot blocker. She didn't have exceptionally great hands. And our offensive flow was not near capacity because she never developed any consistency on offense. She did not want the ball in her hands more than 4 ft from the basket- period. I love her, met her numerous times. Class act, beautiful girl and she's doing great in wnba. Good for her. It was probably Geno's fault.

Reaction Score
a game against Colgate, isn't this a great time for Gabby to "practice" on being creative against "a zone"... its not like UConn was going to lose

The other players have to practice too.

Reaction Score
Kiah would have made it difficult of those driving to the basket to score--she did that regularly and well. As a down low scorer she was exceptional as she proved in her final (NC) game against ND, while accepting passes and scoring (good hands). She had proven that she could score the 3 and shoot from 10 feet but got chewed pretty good from Geno in the Stanford game after taking and missing (rolled around the rim) a 10 ft shot.
-ista, Reality--perception!! She could, she does hit the long shot. Lambeer didn't teach her to shoot that shot, she had it--he only gave her the green light to shoot it. Comfortable with it?? Who knows. She scored those shot regularly in HS. Perception?? REality?? Playing in the shadows of KML and Stewie it wasn't necessary for her to shoot beyond a layup. Reality?? Perception??

I don't know. First off in the title game she was 2-2 scored 4 points. SO I wouldn't say "She was exceptional." One of her 2 baskets was off an offensive rebound. And the other it's questionable if it was a low post or because a guard drove and forced her defender which meant Kiah received a pass and hit a wide open layup. I wouldn't call this "exceptional."

Secondly, listen to Doris Burke in that championship game. She was RIPPING Stokes for not even looking at the basket. Then we have to read after season is over all the "experts" criticize Stokes offense when it came to draft day. When you have people like Doris on National TV over-exaggerating Stokes deficiencies- that is the point I'll agree with you "reality vs perception."

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I guess she needs to play better.
cant play better sitting down... Colgate game was perfect time to get a few reps in during "real time" but Im not Geno who has 10 titles :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
cant play better sitting down... Colgate game was perfect time to get a few reps in during "real time" but Im not Geno who has 10 titles :rolleyes:

I know but every player on the team from the "5th starter on" can say the same thing. I felt the same thing about KLS vs DePaul. Why didn't she get more minutes? And then I heard his comment before putting her in was about "trust." Huh? You mean a player that can be a great shooter, is a great passer who makes sound decisions with a low turnover rate in a chaotic game which the team isn't exactly playing under as much control as you'd like, and yet you can't trust her? Huh?

But as you say - he is the 10-time champion. So- okay. I don't understand - but don't need to.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Why not? Those games were more competitive in the first half...maybe thru 3 quarters. Her shooting % seems to improve once the game is out of reach.
Because both teams, also, make adjustments and defenses change, personal on the court changes, etc.

It is more valid to discuss her play against zone vs man to man. It can be more important to discuss shot location. Many things are more important than just choosing half of any given game.

Reaction Score
Because both teams, also, make adjustments and defenses change, personal on the court changes, etc.

It is more valid to discuss her play against zone vs man to man. It can be more important to discuss shot location. Many things are more important than just choosing half of any given game.

You're the one who quoted overall shooting %. Not an accurate presentation. I recommended halves because it's definitely more accurate than overall. In UConn games, most are over at half, resulting in more of a scrimmage in the second half. Not all, but most. Much easier to "pad" the stats in garbage time.

Basketball is all about situational match-ups. That's why overall stats mean very little (especially on UConn). The idiot media love to try to compare players for end of year awards/AA teams using stats. Highly inaccurate.

Reaction Score
I don't know. First off in the title game she was 2-2 scored 4 points. SO I wouldn't say "She was exceptional." One of her 2 baskets was off an offensive rebound. And the other it's questionable if it was a low post or because a guard drove and forced her defender which meant Kiah received a pass and hit a wide open layup. I wouldn't call this "exceptional."

Secondly, listen to Doris Burke in that championship game. She was RIPPING Stokes for not even looking at the basket. Then we have to read after season is over all the "experts" criticize Stokes offense when it came to draft day. When you have people like Doris on National TV over-exaggerating Stokes deficiencies- that is the point I'll agree with you "reality vs perception."
You use your description and I'll use mine I don't force people to use my terminology I'm not stupid enough, like some, to demand you use specific wording in your posting. Nothing so lacking in intellect as pseudo intellectuals.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score

She was never guarded unless she was 2-6' from the hoop. They dared her to shoot. She had no confidence in her shot. Doris Burke was 100% correct. What reality vs perception. She was an offensive liability. If she could score she would have been the first draft pick with her other assets. How do you watch every game and come up with this? You are blaming Doris Burke for the fact that Stokes never raised her offensive game for four years. Wow- can't we just be honest about certain facts?

Reaction Score
You're the one who quoted overall shooting %. Not an accurate presentation. I recommended halves because it's definitely more accurate than overall. In UConn games, most are over at half, resulting in more of a scrimmage in the second half. Not all, but most. Much easier to "pad" the stats in garbage time.

Basketball is all about situational match-ups. That's why overall stats mean very little (especially on UConn). The idiot media love to try to compare players for end of year awards/AA teams using stats. Highly inaccurate.

Hey WestCoast Fan - I like your insights on most posts. I am just a little confused with your last two lines. If we are comparing players to determine awards/AA teams---wouldn't we at least start with stats? If not, then what metrics are used to compare?
I know many times the old "eye test" can tell the difference between players, better than stats. Just wondering, what do you suggest? I am always looking for new methods.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
She was never guarded unless she was 2-6' from the hoop. They dared her to shoot. She had no confidence in her shot. Doris Burke was 100% correct. What reality vs perception. She was an offensive liability. If she could score she would have been the first draft pick with her other assets. How do you watch every game and come up with this? You are blaming Doris Burke for the fact that Stokes never raised her offensive game for four years. Wow- can't we just be honest about certain facts?
Well, Stokes' stats in college weren't hugely different from her first year in the WNBA, but the interesting thing is now she has the advanced basketball.reference.com-type stats to show the things that her critics like Doris are clueless about. Yes she had an Offensive Rating was among the top 20 in the league because she had a great FG%, pulled down a lot of offensive rebounds, and did all the other things on the offensive end to help the Liberty more than her 5+ ppg indicated, just as she did with the Huskies. Loyd was the #1 pick and the acclaimed offensive player, but her offensive efficiency stats are very poor compared to Kiah's, and let's not even start on the defensive end.

Yeah I know it's always a fan's eye test that counts more than stats and how really well a team does when a player like Kiah is on the court, but as we mentioned endlessly during the WNBA season, the stats did show that Kiah's basic package in college and the pros is far above where Doris might put her, no matter how many times you say that the stats mean nothing. Kiah can just smile because she knows where the truth lies even if she can't pop from 15 feet, or even at the 20.8% rate for 3s that Loyd managed last season in the WNBA.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Well, Stokes' stats in college weren't hugely different from her first year in the WNBA, but the interesting thing is now she has the advanced basketball.reference.com-type stats to show the things that her critics like Doris are clueless about. Yes she had an Offensive Rating was among the top 20 in the league because she had a great FG%, pulled down a lot of offensive rebounds, and did all the other things on the offensive end to help the Liberty more than her 5+ ppg indicated, just as she did with the Huskies. Loyd was the #1 pick and the acclaimed offensive player, but her offensive efficiency stats are very poor compared to Kiah's, and let's not even start on the defensive end.

Yeah I know it's always a fan's eye test that counts more than stats and how really well a team does when a player like Kiah is on the court, but as we mentioned endlessly during the WNBA season, the stats did show that Kiah's basic package in college and the pros is far above where Doris might put her, no matter how many times you say that the stats mean nothing. Kiah can just smile because she knows where the truth lies even if she can't pop from 15 feet, or even at the 20.8% rate for 3s that Loyd managed last season in the WNBA.
A point was originally made that she was an "exceptional" offensive talent. She's built for the WNBA. Robb's Rover- you aren't drinking the cool aide too -are you? Now Kiah is a better offensive threat than Jewell Llotd too?

Reaction Score

1-- You're right in some cases and imo wrong on others. First off just a FYI I didn't say Kia was exceptional in the finals.

2-- When Stokes catches the ball outside - why would it ever matter that she doesn't face the basket if the team drops back on her? Notre dame was even dropping off on MoJeff and Nurse. Why is the center getting slammed on National TV in the finals for being left wide open 15+ feet from the basket while the guards were also being left wide open? THAT is one of the problems I have with Doris.

3-- And you and I agree - Stokes has to be accounted for around the basket. You just can't have a small guard on her. Thus she does have some value. NOTE -and I say NOTE - the moment she comes in for the finals vs ND she immediately gets an offensive rebound in which she got tied up. Next time down she got her hands on the ball. The next time she scored on an offensive rebound. Her offensive rebounding MUST BE ACCOUNTED FOR. Yet all we keep hearing on National TV is how Stokes is unaccounted for. Yeah Doris - she was unaccounted for 15 feet from the basket as was half the UCONN team.

4-- What Doris FAILED to understand is BECAUSE OF PLAYER LIKE STOKES HAS such Size AND length- SHE MUST BE ACCOUNTED FOR. Thus the guards of MoJeff and Nurse for UCONN and even Tuck were given wide open looks from the perimeter. You (ND) need size in the paint to combat UCONN's potential offensive rebounding.

5-- The perception was Doris and many of the analysts felt Stokes HAD NOTHING on offense when in fact she IS / WAS a decent offensive rebounder so she can score around the basket and if you foul her she can knock down free throws. It's not a lot but it is NOT nothing. She was NOT being left WIDE OPEN inside. BUT listen to that game again. The way Doris made it sound was that no one was even guarding her close to the basket. THAt si part of the perception vs reality which relates to NUMBER 6.

6-- The point I was making of perception vs reality - is that Doris and other supposed experts for the WNBA failed to realize is that UCONN HAD four really good shooters / players that can score around her Thus the silly perception was questioning if she was worthy of being a WNBA first round pick. People like Doris that continually slammed her in the finals - change the perception - yet they don't understand she had a touch and has size and athleticism that was worthy of being accounted for at a pro level and being a 1st round pick. - Laimbeer understood it. It's just that UCONN didn't NEED Stokes to score. There was NO REASON for her to be a threat 15+ feet from the basket with the other talent UCONN had. So when Doris slammed her for not even looking at the basket- -- IT IS BY DESIGN that she isn't looking to score. It was preferred she make a quick pass then get back inside.

7--- If you get a chance - google those pre-draft analysis. How was Stokes NOT considered a lock 1st round pick? That kid from South Carolina who had no shot whatsoever was thought of as being just as good as her? Please!!!!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Once doesn't measure shooting performance by halves. It is always possible to select a period to show bad performance.
Why not? Those games were more competitive in the first half...maybe thru 3 quarters. Her shooting % seems to improve once the game is out of reach.
Why not? Because Geno doesn't want players giving full effort for only a half. If Gabby is going flat out for a half then dogging it in the other half, then she'll sit until she understands Geno want her to have some impact on the game, whether it's scoring, rebounding, defending, etc, every minute she's on the floor.

Reaction Score
Hey WestCoast Fan - I like your insights on most posts. I am just a little confused with your last two lines. If we are comparing players to determine awards/AA teams---wouldn't we at least start with stats? If not, then what metrics are used to compare?
I know many times the old "eye test" can tell the difference between players, better than stats. Just wondering, what do you suggest? I am always looking for new methods.

Hey Philly C...depends on the stats. I was really referring to the obvious ones...ppg, rpg, %s . Those can be padded based on the competition. I always like to use "team value"...hard to quantify sometimes, but if you dig deeper, you can find it. Minutes per game against top competition, assist/turnovers, strength of schedule. I always like the "best players on the best teams" approach. How would you quantify most UConn players? With the exception of Maya, most never had overly impressive points and rebounds per game. Think Morgan. Does most everything well...but not real glitzy.

Problem is most of those who vote for the awards never/rarely see most players. Hence, "we'll he/she scores a lot, rebounds a lot, shoots 70%, great athlete. Must be an AA."

Reaction Score
Why not? Because Geno doesn't want players giving full effort for only a half. If Gabby is going flat out for a half then dogging it in the other half, then she'll sit until she understands Geno want her to have some impact on the game, whether it's scoring, rebounding, defending, etc, every minute she's on the floor.

You're absolutely right about having an impact and full effort. However, I wasn't talking about effort...I was talking about stats. Don't know of a stat that measures leadership, hustle, or sacrifice...other than winning %. Overall stats are not necessarily a good indicator of individual effort. But if you want to use them and be a better indicator of true impact, use them while the game is still competitive...hence the half approach. We all know what "normally" happens in the second half of most UConn games.

Reaction Score
Hey Philly C...depends on the stats. I was really referring to the obvious ones...ppg, rpg, %s . Those can be padded based on the competition. I always like to use "team value"...hard to quantify sometimes, but if you dig deeper, you can find it. Minutes per game against top competition, assist/turnovers, strength of schedule. I always like the "best players on the best teams" approach. How would you quantify most UConn players? With the exception of Maya, most never had overly impressive points and rebounds per game. Think Morgan. Does most everything well...but not real glitzy.

Problem is most of those who vote for the awards never/rarely see most players. Hence, "we'll he/she scores a lot, rebounds a lot, shoots 70%, great athlete. Must be an AA."

BTW, too bad we don't have a individual stats for leadership, sacrifice, hustle, teamwork. We only have team stats...called Championships.

Reaction Score
I don't get people focusing so much on Gabby's ability to score. She really impacts the game in so many ways with her athleticism. More than anyone else, except for Breanna and Moriah. She's a great rebounder, is disruptive defensively with her quickness, and I think she is a pretty sound passer. I do see her as being more tentative lately, perhaps because she feels like she's on a short leash. She was pulled quickly in the second half Friday, after committing a foul. She'd only been in for a couple of minutes.

Reaction Score
BTW, too bad we don't have a individual stats for leadership, sacrifice, hustle, teamwork. We only have team stats...called Championships.

WCF - right on! The individual stats for leadership, sacrifice, hustle, teamwork really come from the voters who actually know WBB. In particular, to have seen many games & players in numerous situations (big games & blowouts.) With the technology that should be easier to do. Joe Shmoe from Gabip votes for the Pts. & rebounds, as you state. Mostly points as we all know.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
1-- You're right in some cases and imo wrong on others. First off just a FYI I didn't say Kia was exceptional in the finals.

2-- When Stokes catches the ball outside - why would it ever matter that she doesn't face the basket if the team drops back on her? Notre dame was even dropping off on MoJeff and Nurse. Why is the center getting slammed on National TV in the finals for being left wide open 15+ feet from the basket while the guards were also being left wide open? THAT is one of the problems I have with Doris.

3-- And you and I agree - Stokes has to be accounted for around the basket. You just can't have a small guard on her. Thus she does have some value. NOTE -and I say NOTE - the moment she comes in for the finals vs ND she immediately gets an offensive rebound in which she got tied up. Next time down she got her hands on the ball. The next time she scored on an offensive rebound. Her offensive rebounding MUST BE ACCOUNTED FOR. Yet all we keep hearing on National TV is how Stokes is unaccounted for. Yeah Doris - she was unaccounted for 15 feet from the basket as was half the UCONN team.

4-- What Doris FAILED to understand is BECAUSE OF PLAYER LIKE STOKES HAS such Size AND length- SHE MUST BE ACCOUNTED FOR. Thus the guards of MoJeff and Nurse for UCONN and even Tuck were given wide open looks from the perimeter. You (ND) need size in the paint to combat UCONN's potential offensive rebounding.

5-- The perception was Doris and many of the analysts felt Stokes HAD NOTHING on offense when in fact she IS / WAS a decent offensive rebounder so she can score around the basket and if you foul her she can knock down free throws. It's not a lot but it is NOT nothing. She was NOT being left WIDE OPEN inside. BUT listen to that game again. The way Doris made it sound was that no one was even guarding her close to the basket. THAt si part of the perception vs reality which relates to NUMBER 6.

6-- The point I was making of perception vs reality - is that Doris and other supposed experts for the WNBA failed to realize is that UCONN HAD four really good shooters / players that can score around her Thus the silly perception was questioning if she was worthy of being a WNBA first round pick. People like Doris that continually slammed her in the finals - change the perception - yet they don't understand she had a touch and has size and athleticism that was worthy of being accounted for at a pro level and being a 1st round pick. - Laimbeer understood it. It's just that UCONN didn't NEED Stokes to score. There was NO REASON for her to be a threat 15+ feet from the basket with the other talent UCONN had. So when Doris slammed her for not even looking at the basket- -- IT IS BY DESIGN that she isn't looking to score. It was preferred she make a quick pass then get back inside.

7--- If you get a chance - google those pre-draft analysis. How was Stokes NOT considered a lock 1st round pick? That kid from South Carolina who had no shot whatsoever was thought of as being just as good as her? Please!!!!
I appreciate your well laid out response. I alway believed she would be a 1 St rd top 10 draft pick. I luang he'd when I heard "smart guys" calling her in the 2nd3rd rds.
Her body was pro ready. The orig posts of exceptional offensive skills, good 3 pr shooter, and was knocking Geno, because Geno was mad she took & missed a three in the Stamford loss. That was incorrect because she panicked early in the shot clock and threw up a shot that wasn't her shot, when we needed to use the clock- I think we were still ahead. I remember Doris alluding to her lack of offensive skills, but didn't realize she had made numerous comments about it. The original comment was it would have been great to have Stokes and KML to break N Dame's def zone. KML yes. I go back to my original premis- how in the world does Stokes help us ever in her career beat a solid 2-3 zone defense? And I don't think she does vs other players we could use. Her offensive skills at UConn were limited. I think Doris is/was stating the truth to educate the audience that the defense can double or sluff off to defend others or the paint- it was all true. Even if we didn't want to hear it. And defenses have always tried to play to encourage the opponents worst shooters to shoot, and or force good shooters to take bad shots. I never took Doris's comments personal. I don't think there is a more pro UConn admirers announcer than Doris. And I like when they call it the way they see it- the original note that triggered me was making Stokes something she wasn't- or she would have been the first pick and first team AA- now we're beating a dead horse! :)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I don't get people focusing so much on Gabby's ability to score. She really impacts the game in so many ways with her athleticism. More than anyone else, except for Breanna and Moriah. She's a great rebounder, is disruptive defensively with her quickness, and I think she is a pretty sound passer. I do see her as being more tentative lately, perhaps because she feels like she's on a short leash. She was pulled quickly in the second half Friday, after committing a foul. She'd only been in for a couple of minutes.
we'll be talking about her confidence soon

Reaction Score

If her defense was such an impact, why then did DePaul and ND score so many points off of UCONN? I know it's also the other player's fault too - but at least they can score, right? They weren't going to lose the games, but it's not like individually she's been shutting her offensive player down vs DePaul or ND, right?

Reaction Score
I said she impacts the game in many ways. Her individual defense will improve as she matures and is a bit less excited out there. She commits dumb fouls at times, but I don't like seeing her pulled when her hustling gets a little out of control. Especially when the games are well in hand, which they usually are.
Gabby is 6th in minutes played, yet is 2nd in rebounds and "defensive" rebounds, is averaging more than 2 steals per game, is 2nd in blocks( though only 6), and actually does score( 9 ppg). Again, all in just 19 mins. per game. I said her defense is disruptive because of her quicknes. She's often getting a hand in, is making steals, is diving for balls, is disrupting opponents trying to throw the ball inbounds with her jumping ability, etc. You know, all the littl things.
Re Depaul and ND scoring so much: I'm glad that you recognize that defense is a team effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom