Why Was Geno Displeased With Gabby vs. Colgate? | The Boneyard

Why Was Geno Displeased With Gabby vs. Colgate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
In the Colgate game, Gabby started and played until the first timeout. Then she and Kia were subbed out and replaced by Lou and Napheesa. Kia came back in a few minutes later, but Gabby stayed on the bench until Stewie left the game very late in the third quarter. Napheesa started the second half in her place.

Does anyone have a plausible conjecture as to why Geno was displeased with Gabby's play in those first 5 minutes? I watched the replay, and the only serious mistake that I could see was that she didn't come out to challenge the last 3 that was made before UConn switched from zone to man defense. Otherwise, I thought she played a normal game; had one basket and a couple of rebounds, and seemed to be active on defense to the extent that the zone permitted it.

Maybe it was a carryover from something that had happened in practice? Or just that Lou and Napheesa were playing well? I found it puzzling.

Reaction Score
From Jim Fuller, very end of the article -

Gabby Williams only played five minutes in the first half and Napheesa Collier started in her place in the second half but Auriemma said that was a case of Williams not being as comfortable and effective playing against a zone defense than his dissatisfaction with how Williams played.

http://elmcitytoeaglevillenhr.blogspot.com

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Hmmm ... I expect that just about everyone except South Carolina and maybe Maryland will play a zone against UConn. Who wants to try to defend Stewie / Moriah / Morgan one-on-one? If Gabby won't be effective against a zone, it will really limit her playing time.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Hmmm ... I expect that just about everyone except South Carolina and maybe Maryland will play a zone against UConn. Who wants to try to defend Stewie / Moriah / Morgan one-on-one? If Gabby won't be effective against a zone, it will really limit her playing time.

It doesn't mean she will continue to be less effective down the road. I'm sure she's working on it.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think we are seeing Geno struggling with the same question that we debated for endless threads this summer regarding who starts and what represents the best combinations on the floor throughout the game depending on the defense being played and the ebb and flow of the players.

Everyone including Geno was surprised and very pleased by how Gabby came out of the gates this season, but as the sample size has increased, some of her weaknesses have been exposed as well as her strengths. She is not playing badly, but she isn't quite the 'shiny new toy' that she appeared to be in the first few games. It is not at all surprising, she is only a sophomore and still expanding her game - it will not be a completely smooth and meteoric rise.

Reaction Score
From Jim Fuller, very end of the article -

Gabby Williams only played five minutes in the first half and Napheesa Collier started in her place in the second half but Auriemma said that was a case of Williams not being as comfortable and effective playing against a zone defense than his dissatisfaction with how Williams played.

http://elmcitytoeaglevillenhr.blogspot.com
OK ALL YOU SMARTY PANTS PEOPLE-- REAL QUESTION
What about Gabby's play against Colgate's Zone was it Geno specifically didn't like?
She blew a layup or two but I don't that alone was it.
A lot of you analyze the details of the game --so what did she do wrong?
Geno--or someone said, the team was suffering from a "Bug"--bug or playing deficiencies ???

Reaction Score
When Gabby is playing "freely," she's truly fun to watch. Catches the ball, then quickly does something impressively athletic with it, or sometimes makes a nice pass (her passing has always been a bit hit-or-miss, but when on-target she's thrown some nice ones).

Sometimes she has looked a bit indecisive lately, though. Not for an entire game at a stretch. But certainly there are segments of the games, even against a team like Colgate, where the bouncy grasshopper shows that she has much to learn. :D

Reaction Score
Gabby gets her points driving to the basket. She will invariably pass up shots from the elbow and pass instead. Geno says she is not comfortable playing against a zone because she has trouble driving to the hoop in that defense. Coach says that Gabby gets frustrated. The corollary to this situation is the production the team needs from the 3. If Lou can get well and start pouring in 3's, she'll have a good chance to start. Gabby is very effective coming off the bench, so there's no harm in her playing that role. Lou is also a great passer (height helps) and a good rebounder. In Geno we trust.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What about Gabby's play against Colgate's Zone was it Geno specifically didn't like?
Geno--or someone said, the team was suffering from a "Bug"--bug or playing deficiencies ???
Uconn is most effective in zone offense when the ball is moving frequently and quickly through two specific points on the court - the center gap area between zones around the free throw line, and the mid-point on the baseline between the arc and the basket - another junction between two different zones.
Last night you saw a number of great passes from both of those points to players cutting into the basket area. Collier had a number as did Stewart and Tuck, and Samuelson had a few as well. Gabby has not been great at making the quick catch and pass from either of the two locations, nor has her timing on her cuts been great to be the recipient of some of those passes. When she does catch the pass in those locations she takes too much time, or she tries to drive and drives against a zone defense do not work well as they have a higher turnover potential because zones are very good at having multiple players collapsing into the basket area. Gabby's dribble drives to the basket are one of her strengths against man to man.

Edit: The other option from those two specific locations on the court against zone is a 15' jump shot - something that Gabby is still hesitating on.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

He said the same thing after the Notre Dame game when asked why Lou started the second half.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
What Huskyd said makes sense. If Gabby really has no confidence in her mid range or deep game, and can't make a layup against the zone, then she won't be useful on offense when other teams play zone against us. Given our 3-point shooting has dipped way down this year (only 2 players currently are shooting over 35% from beyond the ark - Stewie and Chong - I'm not sure keeping Gabby out makes much of a difference at this point, anyway.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
In all this discussion, let's just remember, we're talking about somebody just a handful of games into their sophomore year - lots of time to work on things, lots of room for improvement.

Reaction Score
At this point in time Gabby is not much of an offensive " THREAT " , especially against the zone. I love watching her play, but I have also watched her pass up many open shots from 10- 18 ft. If all five players are a threat to shoot it's going too be like playing 4 on 5. Teams will double team Stewie, and leave Gabby open all day long at 15 ft. KLS is at least a threat to shoot , and comes with a shooters resume.

Reaction Score

She could always develop a shot from 10-18 ft. in a couple of days and decide to use it.

Reaction Score
It doesn't mean she will continue to be less effective down the road. I'm sure she's working on it.
I agree, zones also depend on the team you are applying them to, i.e. the matchups. Also, were zones frequently used by
her HS BB team? She is a very good player and she will work thru this.

Reaction Score
At this point in time Gabby is not much of an offensive " THREAT " , especially against the zone. I love watching her play, but I have also watched her pass up many open shots from 10- 18 ft. If all five players are a threat to shoot it's going too be like playing 4 on 5. Teams will double team Stewie, and leave Gabby open all day long at 15 ft. KLS is at least a threat to shoot , and comes with a shooters resume.

I noticed in the DePaul game Gabby had a open 15 footer and she passed up the shot, then Geno pulled her and put Collier in.

Reaction Score
There is a huge difference between the competition in high school and collage ball. Especially when the transition is to a top level program like UConn. Very athletic players have the hardest and steepest adjustment curve because they could just overwhelm the opposition with their athleticism in high school. In collage outside shooting becomes much more important for all non-post players. Gabby Williams just fits the stereotype for that type of high school player having to make the transition. In college you can not just live on drives alone.

HGN

Reaction Score
I think it has to do with Gabby's lack of a consistent outside shot...........Playing against a zone defense limits Gabby's effectiveness. Not so with Napheesa or Lou. Both Lou and Napheesa can hit the outside jumper with more consistency. Creating problems for the other team. So until Gabby's jumper improves to the point of being a more consistent threat we may see more Napheesa or Lou. But on the flip-side , as long as the other team plays man-to-man , look for Gabby.

JMHO.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Not so with Napheesa

Not from where I'm sitting. Pheesa has a hesitancy issue too, just not as pronounced. These things will work out I suspect. I'm a little more concerned with Gabby because this was suppose to be a point of emphasis over the summer.

Reaction Score
What Huskyd said makes sense. If Gabby really has no confidence in her mid range or deep game, and can't make a layup against the zone, then she won't be useful on offense when other teams play zone against us. Given our 3-point shooting has dipped way down this year (only 2 players currently are shooting over 35% from beyond the ark - Stewie and Chong - I'm not sure keeping Gabby out makes much of a difference at this point, anyway.

The People you miss--Kiah and KML--wouldn't they have been nice to have against ND and Depaul??? When the opponent are closing you down with a tight zone--it's always great to have a Zone buster.
Gabby--however, has hit a few 15 footers or 10 footers.
Thanks for the replay. Until Butler is useful on the floor, and produces as expected, Gabby, Katie Lou and Collier will be needed--hope they learn to make the 3 ball shot consistently, soon.!!!

Reaction Score
Uconn is most effective in zone offense when the ball is moving frequently and quickly through two specific points on the court - the center gap area between zones around the free throw line, and the mid-point on the baseline between the arc and the basket - another junction between two different zones.
Last night you saw a number of great passes from both of those points to players cutting into the basket area. Collier had a number as did Stewart and Tuck, and Samuelson had a few as well. Gabby has not been great at making the quick catch and pass from either of the two locations, nor has her timing on her cuts been great to be the recipient of some of those passes. When she does catch the pass in those locations she takes too much time, or she tries to drive and drives against a zone defense do not work well as they have a higher turnover potential because zones are very good at having multiple players collapsing into the basket area. Gabby's dribble drives to the basket are one of her strengths against man to man.

Edit: The other option from those two specific locations on the court against zone is a 15' jump shot - something that Gabby is still hesitating on.
Thanks for the response.
Colgate--isn't ND or Depaul talent or coaching ( although I love the coach and gutz of the team, no quit in them) easy win compared to ND, Depaul--Gabby probably should have had an easier time scoring.
Thanks.

Reaction Score
It wasn't so much knock on Gabby ..... you could see what was evolving in the DePaul and Notre Dame games as well as Colgate. Lou has a high basketball IQ, has excellent court vision, and with her height an added bonus a fabulous entry passer. She can shoot outside and drive, particularly on the baseline and she can finish making her a respectable threat on the outside.

In the zone defenses with Stewie in the low post and someone other than Lou at the wing, two players would collapse front and back on Stewiie. It was very noticeable that when Lou got the ball in the wing the defender was going out to meet her leaving Stewie or Morgan or Phee with a one on one...... and Lou took advantage of it and made some absolutely terrific entry passes.

Reaction Score

Accurate observations. My brother and I thought the same things. Gabby is a great athlete, but not yet a great basketball player. She's playing out of position. Even with her jumping ability, she gets lost around the basket with bigger/stronger players. She's either unable or uncomfortable shooting the 15 footer. If she develops that shot, it will open up other opportunities.

For now, she'll excel against average teams, but struggle to get quality minutes in the big games until she develops more weapons.

Reaction Score
Maybe it's an attitude thing we don't even see. Perhaps Gabbie is thinking too highly of herself as a starter and won't work the zone, or try to follow directions to do it better?
IDK, but sometimes what motivates Geno is all about attitude, not ability. Stewie said after the game, that she now gets it. maybe Gabbie has too just "get it" too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom