Why no Adams at the end | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why no Adams at the end

Status
Not open for further replies.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
No single game should be cause for declaration of having a different point guard start. Gibbs played his best game to save us vs Tulane... then his worst last night versus Temple. Adams stunk vs Tulane, but seemed to give the team a spark in the second half vs Temple.

Fact of the matter is this... Gibbs should start and remain starting. But if Adams is making an impact, he needs to see the floor one way or another, especially so if Gibbs is struggling.
The fact that Gibbs had 1 made shot and had 1 assist last night in 35 minutes means he should not have played 35 minutes. Adams should have seen more time... but I'm not sure I can fault KO for JA not being in on the final possession.

Lots to question with KO's rotations last night.

Reaction Score
I guess we disagree. He hit a few 3s... I saw very little good PG play, regardless of his stat totals.

I don't think he was BAD, but much the same as most games this year, his running of the team was lacking. The entire span of Tulane's run in the second half is a good example.

I'm not trying to bash him as a player, but I haven't seen his ability to be a PG in this offense.
Gibbs had more assists than the rest of the team combined...not sure what game you were watching but he did a great job as floor general. Last night, not so much.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
This has been a very disappointing season thus far. Many have expressed it much better than I. We are very quickly heading
into an NIT team and the worst part is the team looks so divided, confused and lacks hustle. Very UN- Uconn.
I now feel that if we continue this, our future, which was once so bright will be turned into "let's start building for next year".
No one is in danger of going pro so we have a lot to work with. We will have a true point guard next year and a raft of
incoming freshman talent plus Terry Larrier. Maybe a real PG transfer until AG is ready to step up along side of JA.
This may seem pessimistic but I fail to see the reason for hope with the magnitude of the problems starting with an
obvious lack of desire to play 40 minutes of hard nosed basketball. The talk all summer was "if they can gel" the talent was
enormous. Individuals have talent but we are sad when it comes to defense usually and there is no consistency on offense.
It's hard to overcome that, especially when there is a lack of hustle. Go back to an earlier thread where it was asked "what would
you most like to see from this team" or something similar to that and most of the answers were about hustle and playing for
forty minutes. THAT is what is most exasperating to me.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Gibbs had more assists than the rest of the team combined...not sure what game you were watching but he did a great job as floor general. Last night, not so much.

Again, I saw differently, but it's all good...the Tulane game is over. I haven't seen him show the PG skill set needed for this offense... I happen to include Tulane in that opinion, if others see his stat line and think differently, that's fine. I'm ok with differing opinions.

Reaction Score
Again, I saw differently, but it's all good...the Tulane game is over. I haven't seen him show the PG skill set needed for this offense... I happen to include Tulane in that opinion, if others see his stat line and think differently, that's fine. I'm ok with differing opinions.

So long as you never have to examine your own, right?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'd like to see Gibbs and Adams handle the ball and let Purvis and Hamilton work off the ball.

Whatever Gibbs' shortcomings are at point guard, I'll live with them.

Reaction Score
Adams is a true point guard and also too unselfish with not shooting enough. I'd like to see him hog the ball a little more, because chances are he's a better option than the guy he's passing too in many instances…especially since our offensive sets are horrible

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Adams is a true point guard and also too unselfish with not shooting enough. I'd like to see him hog the ball a little more, because chances are he's a better option than the guy he's passing too in many instances…especially since our offensive sets are horrible

Adams is a combo guard, not a true PG. True PGs are M Williams or KEA.

He's certainly the best with the ball in his hands though. I agree with Fishy on this one. Let Sterling and Adams run the show, and Hamilton/Purvis play off. Hamilton being the PG is not working right now. He doesn't have a feel for it atm.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
So long as you never have to examine your own, right?

What does that mean? I can examine my own opinion... Our offense with him running the show has been so good the last few games that people are having such an issue with my points? I'm not even making that strong or controversial an opinion...

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I'd like to see Gibbs and Adams handle the ball and let Purvis and Hamilton work off the ball.

Whatever Gibbs' shortcomings are at point guard, I'll live with them.
I agree, FWIW. Hamilton can make plays on the move, but he is not a point guard. I would guess that Gibbs would be further along if he had been given the ball to lead the team. Only KEA could have come into this mix and be able to make it work. Asking a 5th year transfer PG to backup a sophomore SF as primary ball-handler is asking a lot. I'm not saying that Gibbs is a talented PG at UConn.....he seems more of a SG with limited athleticism. But he can make some big contributions to a winning team. Got to get Adams more involved.

Reaction Score

He was better than JA the prior game but on as much the Tulane game. Reality is we have a bunch of guys being very inconsistent so taking one guy out just wouldn't be right, wrong message.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
He was better than JA the prior game but on as much the Tulane game. Reality is we have a bunch of guys being very inconsistent so taking one guy out just wouldn't be right, wrong message.

Agree, and that's why there are no perfect personnel 'fixes'. It doesn't matter who starts or whatever right now. I think the only thing KO can do in-game at the moment, is ride the hot hand. He didn't do that with JA against Temple. I think most of us hoped for the opposite of what transpired in that regard.

I don't see any other way to address it in-game. Practice is another story; I'll leave that to the more informed RE the huskies practice habits.

Reaction Score
Right now its hard to be a PG on this team because Ollie runs the offense around DHam. Gibbs brings the ball up, throws a spinning bounce pass to the high post guy, usually Miller/Facey, who looks for DHam. Once it gets to DHam he drives the lane and will pass or shoot.... This is not working. Let Gibbs or Adams run the PG and let DHam and Purv run off screens.

Or do what I would do and give it to Miller in the post until teams can stop him consistently.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
Agree, and that's why there are no perfect personnel 'fixes'. It doesn't matter who starts or whatever right now. I think the only thing KO can do in-game at the moment, is ride the hot hand. He didn't do that with JA against Temple. I think most of us hoped for the opposite of what transpired in that regard.

I don't see any other way to address it in-game. Practice is another story; I'll leave that to the more informed RE the huskies practice habits.
People were so caught up on JA supplanting Gibbs in the starting lineup but who cares who starts the games for us. Heck Olander was starting at PF for us as a freshman for lord knows why but hey it worked for JC.

I can see why Ollie wanted to ride Gibbs last game as the game before he closed it out for us but Adams was clearly deserving of minutes down the stretch whether that was at Gibbs' expense or someone else is a different argument. Either way KO dropped the ball on riding the hot hand this time around.

Reaction Score
Right now its hard to be a PG on this team because Ollie runs the offense around DHam. Gibbs brings the ball up, throws a spinning bounce pass to the high post guy, usually Miller/Facey, who looks for DHam. Once it gets to DHam he drives the lane and will pass or shoot.... This is not working. Let Gibbs or Adams run the PG and let DHam and Purv run off screens.

Or do what I would do and give it to Miller in the post until teams can stop him consistently.

Another thing about the ball being in the hands of DHam, everyone would like to see more touches for Shonn can't happen all that often if DHam has it. I mean there are no angles for him from the lane unless Millers guy leaves him to doube and he's open. Need to get Miller the ball from the wings while he locks his defender in and can use his quickness to get to the rim.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Another thing about the ball being in the hands of DHam, everyone would like to see more touches for Shonn can't happen all that often if DHam has it. I mean there are no angles for him from the lane unless Millers guy leaves him to doube and he's open. Need to get Miller the ball from the wings while he locks his defender in and can use his quickness to get to the rim.

I don't know why they don't run the lob play for Miller a few times a game. I get that he's short, but the guy can elevate well above the rim.

Reaction Score
Are we running plays for Miller? He's got a decent mid-range shot, but our guards seem to have free reign especially when shooting. Also I haven't seen much inside out plays called, you know throw in the post and kick back out. I wonder if Miller feels if he kicks it back out he won't touch it again. He's too talented and experienced not to run the offense through him a few times.

He's here for a reason, can we use him while we have him? He's our best most consistent player regardless of what the box score and announcers think. He's a gift from above.

We got him for one year, lets take advantage of that and win some damn games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom