Why isn't Richard Springs player? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why isn't Richard Springs player?

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
yupppp. but the other side of that coin is Brown would expect to play more than Springs and was therefore more likely to transfer. either way, we are extremely thin up front next year as presently constituted.
Luckily we will have a couple schollies. We need an experienced big man and a wing/guard type who can defend and snipe the 3 ball.

Assuming we finish out this season strong, we should put ourselves in good position in the transfer/grad transfer market.

Reaction Score
I don’t get it. There’s no way that Akok, who isn’t playable right now, is better than him at this moment. One of these beat guys should ask what the plan with him is. He was a 4 star top 100 kid prior to the reclass, 2nd on the EYBL in offensive boards. He appears to be a legit 6’10 with hops and a little handle. Zero minutes? He’s on the same sub line as Andrew lol.

He was not a 4* player.

Reaction Score
I don’t get it. There’s no way that Akok, who isn’t playable right now, is better than him at this moment. One of these beat guys should ask what the plan with him is. He was a 4 star top 100 kid prior to the reclass, 2nd on the EYBL in offensive boards. He appears to be a legit 6’10 with hops and a little handle. Zero minutes? He’s on the same sub line as Andrew lol.

Sorry, but this doesn't all revolve around what you would like to know. Reporters are careful asking college coaches why someone isn't playing, because who wants to push the college coach to what will almost always be the true answer -- "because he's not good enough to help us." You hold out hope that it will be because Springs slept with Hurley's niece or something and if a reporter would just ask ....

Reaction Score
Luckily we will have a couple schollies. We need an experienced big man and a wing/guard type who can defend and snipe the 3 ball.

Assuming we finish out this season strong, we should put ourselves in good position in the transfer/grad transfer market.

Agreed. Without remaining schollies I'd like to see us try to snag a backup center, a ballhandler or some kind, and a dynamite shooter.

I wouldn't be against a high ceiling project if we can get 2/3 that are immediately ready to play.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
What Are You Doing Reaction GIF
DAMMIT!!!! Ya beat beat me to it!!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Is he even on bench? or on the team? when the three senior big men leave, does he expect to get minutes?
The only thing Richie Springs has to fear is...Richie Springs!!

Reaction Score
Agreed. Without remaining schollies I'd like to see us try to snag a backup center, a ballhandler or some kind, and a dynamite shooter.

I wouldn't be against a high ceiling project if we can get 2/3 that are immediately ready to play.
i cant tell how many schollys youve got earmarked here but it seems like 3 or 4 when we only have 2

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score

I think Gaffney, Cole and Jackson can handle ball handling duties. And if Adams stays he can be the 4th guy. If he leaves, we probably will need another ball handler.

Those 3 guys will be running the offense next season, particularly Cole and Jackson. Gaffney could take a huge junior leap too (hopefully/potentially). But we need to surround those guys with reliable shooters, particularly assuming Polley moves on.

Reaction Score
I think Gaffney, Cole and Jackson can handle ball handling duties. And if Adams stays he can be the 4th guy. If he leaves, we probably will need another ball handler.

Those 3 guys will be running the offense next season, particularly Cole and Jackson. Gaffney could take a huge junior leap too (hopefully/potentially). But we need to surround those guys with reliable shooters, particularly assuming Polley moves on.
you're forgetting diggins. between cole, diggins, gaff, and aj we have 3 PGs and 4 ballhandlers. we should be able to make that work. need a big and a wing that can score.

Reaction Score
It is strange how little he’s played. I remember him getting a few garbage minutes for a game or 2 at the beginning of the season.

I get he’s a project type, but he’s been with the program for almost 2 seasons now. Even Andrew Hurley has gotten more runtime this season than Springs it seems.

And our frontcourt is probably going to be pretty full for the foreseeable future.
Maybe he emerges as a factor next season? Depends on how effective Johnson and Akok are, I guess. Sanogo should likely be our bona fide #1 big man next season.

Does anyone have a gauge of the big man hierarchy next season? Will Springs be ahead or behind of Johnson?
Hurley has been pretty upfront about this being a development year for him, last season was supposed to he his senior year and he instead reclassed to join UConn to practice with the team and redshirt instead. Nova has done this to great success, redshirting some players so they could learn the program and they turned into stars. Richie will play next season, remember he's still only 19.

Reaction Score
Let's stop with any talk about Adams leaving, I've seen several posts about it the past two days and it's not fair to him or the program. He is an important part of the team even though he isn't getting game time lately. Everyone has their roles in top tier programs.

Reaction Score
you're forgetting diggins. between cole, diggins, gaff, and aj we have 3 PGs and 4 ballhandlers. we should be able to make that work. need a big and a wing that can score.

Yeah a backup center and another shooter on the wing is key IMO. Too many non-shooters at the 1-3 spot right now. Gaffney, potentially Diggins, Jackson, Adams is way too many if we're going to have the space to let Sanogo and Jackson play the way they should driving and posting up. Shooters makes bad offense look good--we need it.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
We have had other late bloomers and he could be another one is all. I will take a wait and see till next fall and winter with him

Reaction Score
Whaley has been able to play the 5 spot at basically the same size as Springs.

I’m sure that Springs can be a viable backup to Sanago at the 5 next year.

Akok is definitely not the answer at center, not even as backup. Johnson we don’t know what he will be capable of yet.

Right now I’d say Springs will be getting minutes next year backing up Sanago.
I think Springs is a poor mans Josh Carlton. He should keep developing and get some time next season.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
I'm in the group that believes Springs will have a lot to offer this program over the following 2-3 seasons. For anyone interested, check out the highlights from this link of Richie's last aau season and junior year of high school at Macduffie

RICHIE SPRINGS

In the Atlanta highlights you'll see him going to work on Jonathon Kuminga(GLeague Ignite) and Jalen Johnson(Former Duke 1&Done).

Reaction Score
Yeah a backup center and another shooter on the wing is key IMO. Too many non-shooters at the 1-3 spot right now. Gaffney, potentially Diggins, Jackson, Adams is way too many if we're going to have the space to let Sanogo and Jackson play the way they should driving and posting up. Shooters makes bad offense look good--we need it.

Agree. I think we also need a stretch 4 - at least mobile defensively. Almost every stretch 4 we played has killed us and with Whaley being gone, there's gonna be a need to backup Akok at that position.

Reaction Score
I think Springs is a poor mans Josh Carlton. He should keep developing and get some time next season.
What makes you say that? From the little I've seen of Springs he doesn't really seem anything like Josh.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom