Why isn't Richard Springs player? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Why isn't Richard Springs player?

Reaction Score
The best part is, if he blooms this offseason, which is his second offseason, which would normally be considered late, he will still have 4 years of eligibility left!
i hope he's a 6th year starter
Akok and Samson are stretch 4's.
re samson, why be a stretch 4 when you can be a stretch 5? there's not another team that can put 5 shooters on the floor without sacrificing on D. at 6'10 with a 7'6 wingspan he's got the length. if he can get up to 215-220 he'd be a unicorn.

if we get clingan yeah i'd suspect samson primarily plays PF but i'd like to see him at both spots

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Carlton is also a pretty traditional back to the basket big man. That's not Springs.
Yeah I think the Whaley comparison is better than comparing to Josh.

That said, Springs is taller than Whaley, better athlete than Josh, and probably a better rebounder than either. But who knows how he is on D or if he has any offensive game.

Reaction Score

re samson, why be a stretch 4 when you can be a stretch 5? there's not another team that can put 5 shooters on the floor without sacrificing on D. at 6'10 with a 7'6 wingspan he's got the length. if he can get up to 215-220 he'd be a unicorn.

if we get clingan yeah i'd suspect samson primarily plays PF but i'd like to see him at both spots
I think he'll back up both Sanogo and Akok next season.

Reaction Score
Seems like a bizarre time to worry about PT for the last scholarship player on the bench.
Carlton rolled his ankle and SHU rotates three huge guys in the post.

So if Josh can’t play, and Sanogo gets into foul trouble, or is getting abused, then Josh would be getting a lot of PT. Do we need Springs for this one, important, game?

Reaction Score

I agree, he'll definitely get some minutes at the both spots. I think his defense is perfect for Hurley's system as the 5 out hedging on ball screens. Put him at the 5 with Akok or the 4 with Sanogo and he's an asset

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

So if Josh can’t play, and Sanogo gets into foul trouble, or is getting abused, then Josh would be getting a lot of PT. Do we need Springs for this one, important, game?
I don't understand the question. If he's our best option at a given point in time, sure he should play. But I get the feeling folks here want Hurley to shoehorn him in a game because reasons. Why now?

Reaction Score
Akok and Samson are stretch 4's.

Thanks. Confused with the classification of Samson being a C on some recruiting sites but from his videos, it looks like that's where he's going to play.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Thanks. Confused with the classification of Samson being a C on some recruiting sites but from his videos, it looks like that's where he's going to play.
HS = Center
College = Something else

Reaction Score
My two cents.. If you're DH you probably "sold" AS on available minutes in his freshman year. When combined with managing PT between 2 other seniors(IW/JC) and occasional small ball lineups with only one of those three on the floor. Where are the minutes for Richie this season?

If there's interest on his part to keep working hard and on the staff's part to keep developing him. There should be minutes next year for his skill set. Does AA play up to his pre-injury potential next year or has his injury taken that potential away from him? Don't know. Hope he crushes it.

I see RS as insurance as a backup to the 4/5 position next season and with additional growth in his game and maybe his physical stature. Who knows what could play out for him.

Prefer to look at his situation/potential as glass is half full.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think it was clear that when we recruited and then signed springs that he was going to be a 4 year developmental type prospect. Just because a 1st year player who reclassified a year early isn’t contributing that 1st year doesn’t mean he is in some type of dog house or can’t play. Hurley has said on a few occasions that a jr and sr springs would be a contributor and a good one at that..can’t expect the whole roster to be in the rotation fellas

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I'm not sure we will see Richie play any meaningful minutes this year. He didn't get in against Marquette with our bigs in foul trouble and us having a comfortable lead. But it will be interesting if Josh is hampered by his ankle injury

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
DH should put the kid in for a few minutes when he had the chance - that ship has sailed unless every big before Springs fouls out. All games now are must wins
DH gets hardheaded about certain things - he'll learn - I hope

Reaction Score
Nevermind, it felt like I saw Hurley on the floor on more occasions than Spring. But both obviously very minimally.

I just remember one early non-conference game Danny putting his son in for garbage time but no Springs.

I guess I just expected Springs to play more of a factor given his ranking and how long he’s been with the program. But I’m not the coach so I’m not questioning it. He’s just clearly not ready yet.

Its interesting that Javonte Brown was the one to transfer though. It felt like he has more upside and could’ve earned serious minutes next season behind Sanogo, and particularly if Akok isn’t back to 100% and if Johnson is too freshman-y.
I guess Brown was tight with Kenya Hunter though, so makes some sense why he left. But regardless, he had a good opportunity here with a storied program in the Big East. We aren’t really worse for wear though.
Has Brown committed for next season anywhere?

Reaction Score
Has Brown committed for next season anywhere?
He's at Texas A&M

Related, found this while looking at Brown. Don't remember if these comments were posted before but found them interesting about why he left

"For the seniors and stuff like that, it’s really good because they lost last year to COVID and everything and they get a chance to showcase themselves the next year again. But for the younger players and stuff, I really believe it hurts them, especially me," Brown said. "Most guys go into a program knowing the seniors are going to leave so there’s a spot for me, so it really hurts players. I don’t want to say it hurt me, but it created a disadvantage."

Reaction Score
He's at Texas A&M

Related, found this while looking at Brown. Don't remember if these comments were posted before but found them interesting about why he left

"For the seniors and stuff like that, it’s really good because they lost last year to COVID and everything and they get a chance to showcase themselves the next year again. But for the younger players and stuff, I really believe it hurts them, especially me," Brown said. "Most guys go into a program knowing the seniors are going to leave so there’s a spot for me, so it really hurts players. I don’t want to say it hurt me, but it created a disadvantage."
Wow, that's an explosive quote. I can't believe it hasn't been dissected to death on the Boneyard already. Call me crazy, but I can't read that any other way than saying that Brown believes at least 1 of Carlton and Whaley are definitely returning.

Reaction Score
So I double checked-according to Rivals he had 13 offers - all but one from higher profile schools. Surprising. You only get so good in practice.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom