Why isn't Richard Springs player? | The Boneyard

Why isn't Richard Springs player?

Reaction Score
Is he even on bench? or on the team? when the three senior big men leave, does he expect to get minutes?

Reaction Score
What Are You Doing Reaction GIF

Reaction Score
He had a full year to redshirt, we've had some pretty desperate foul trouble at times, and he still isn't playing. Not sure he can expect much but garbage time minutes even next year barring a big change in his skill level.

Reaction Score
He had a full year to redshirt, we've had some pretty desperate foul trouble at times, and he still isn't playing. Not sure he can expect much but garbage time minutes even next year barring a big change in his skill level.
i agree that we shouldn't expect too much out of springs, but i am hoping against hope that his case is similar to whaley's last year -- a guy who is capable of bringing energy and athleticism, but is just buried on the bench at this point.

thankful that whaley stuck around, hopeful that springs does the same.

Reaction Score
I remember how open DH was about Springs' role on the team as a project and how Springs was receptive to it. I'd like to see him get situational minutes, such as late in the first half to avoid fouls on Whaley/Sanogo, but it is what it is. Carlton only plays like 75-80% of the games and averages 10 mpg or so, so its not like there's a lot of time available at the 5 either.

Reaction Score
Hurley has a deep doghouse whete Springs is a current resident
Remember Whaley went from 13 minutes a game as a freshman to 3 as a sophomore.
That was strange as he was the most gifted of the kids defensively and guys like Cobb who couldn’t guard a chair and Yakwe who was on disability were ahead of him..
Whaley survived.
Maybe Springs will blossom in the Fall ( SIC) who knows.

Reaction Score
I do want to just remind everyone that he is essentially the younger version of Isaiah Whaley. Isaiah was also buried on the bench, has a similar skill set and size.

Sometimes kids aren't ready for a bit, or are stuck in a playing time crunch. I'm still high on him and will reserve judgement.

Reaction Score
I do want to just remind everyone that he is essentially the younger version of Isaiah Whaley. Isaiah was also buried on the bench, has a similar skill set and size.

Sometimes kids aren't ready for a bit, or are stuck in a playing time crunch. I'm still high on him and will reserve judgement.
Agreed, no need to start drawing conclusions yet. He’s a young player with some upperclassmen in front of him on the depth chart. He’s a project and seems to know that. It’s a long game with Springs and I think we’ll have a valuable role player in coming time.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I remember how open DH was about Springs' role on the team as a project and how Springs was receptive to it. I'd like to see him get situational minutes, such as late in the first half to avoid fouls on Whaley/Sanogo, but it is what it is. Carlton only plays like 75-80% of the games and averages 10 mpg or so, so its not like there's a lot of time available at the 5 either.

I think that's it. Josh is a better option, and while Springs is in theory a 4, he's behind a lot of guys there. If Whaley and Josh both leave, then I have to believe Springs will get some minutes next year. If we had a normal season, with a full slate of cupcake games, I think he would have gotten a few minutes.

Reaction Score
As of right now, our bigs for next season are Sanogo, Akok, Springs, and Johnson. Springs is the only guy outside of Sanogo who has any girth to him whatsoever, so I imagine he'd get the majority of the minutes behind Sanogo unless we can afford to go small. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see us try to grab an experienced big with one of our (presumably) two remaining scholarships in the spring.

I do think the Whaley comp makes some sense, but Springs was more highly regarded out of high school and looks to have a bigger overall frame. Need him to bring the same type of energy IW brings, and if he can, I really think he can be a solid contributor on this team next year and beyond.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
It is strange how little he’s played. I remember him getting a few garbage minutes for a game or 2 at the beginning of the season.

I get he’s a project type, but he’s been with the program for almost 2 seasons now. Even Andrew Hurley has gotten more runtime this season than Springs it seems.

And our frontcourt is probably going to be pretty full for the foreseeable future.
Maybe he emerges as a factor next season? Depends on how effective Johnson and Akok are, I guess. Sanogo should likely be our bona fide #1 big man next season.

Does anyone have a gauge of the big man hierarchy next season? Will Springs be ahead or behind of Johnson?

Reaction Score
It is strange how little he’s played. I remember him getting a few garbage minutes for a game or 2 at the beginning of the season.

I get he’s a project type, but he’s been with the program for almost 2 seasons now. Even Andrew Hurley has gotten more runtime this season than Springs it seems.

And our frontcourt is probably going to be pretty full for the foreseeable future.
Maybe he emerges as a factor next season? Depends on how effective Johnson and Akok are, I guess. Sanogo should likely be our bona fide #1 big man next season.

Does anyone have a gauge of the big man hierarchy next season? Will Springs be ahead or behind of Johnson?
When have you seen Andrew Hurley play ?

Reaction Score

Johnson is good enough to get minutes now. Springs is apparently not.

Reaction Score

Andre Hurley has played 3 minutes this season. Springs has played 4. I guess we can lump them into "neither of these guys is remotely close to seeing the floor in a competitive game"

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
When have you seen Andrew Hurley play ?
Andre Hurley has played 3 minutes this season. Springs has played 4. I guess we can lump them into "neither of these guys is remotely close to seeing the floor in a competitive game"
Nevermind, it felt like I saw Hurley on the floor on more occasions than Spring. But both obviously very minimally.

I just remember one early non-conference game Danny putting his son in for garbage time but no Springs.

I guess I just expected Springs to play more of a factor given his ranking and how long he’s been with the program. But I’m not the coach so I’m not questioning it. He’s just clearly not ready yet.

Its interesting that Javonte Brown was the one to transfer though. It felt like he has more upside and could’ve earned serious minutes next season behind Sanogo, and particularly if Akok isn’t back to 100% and if Johnson is too freshman-y.
I guess Brown was tight with Kenya Hunter though, so makes some sense why he left. But regardless, he had a good opportunity here with a storied program in the Big East. We aren’t really worse for wear though.

Reaction Score
Its interesting that Javonte Brown was the one to transfer though. It felt like he has more upside and could’ve earned serious minutes next season behind Sanogo, and particularly if Akok isn’t back to 100% and if Johnson is too freshman-y.
yupppp. but the other side of that coin is Brown would expect to play more than Springs and was therefore more likely to transfer. either way, we are extremely thin up front next year as presently constituted.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I don’t get it. There’s no way that Akok, who isn’t playable right now, is better than him at this moment. One of these beat guys should ask what the plan with him is. He was a 4 star top 100 kid prior to the reclass, 2nd on the EYBL in offensive boards. He appears to be a legit 6’10 with hops and a little handle. Zero minutes? He’s on the same sub line as Andrew lol.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I don’t get it. There’s no way that Akok, who isn’t playable right now, is better than him at this moment. One of these beat guys should ask what the plan with him is. He was a 4 star top 100 kid prior to the reclass, 2nd on the EYBL in offensive boards. He appears to be a legit 6’10 with hops and a little handle. Zero minutes? He’s on the same sub line as Andrew lol.
It’s strange that Akok isn’t playable. He looked pretty playable against Xavier for the 10 min he got. Unless he’s still experiencing discomfort or still at risk of re-injury....

Reaction Score
He was a 4 star top 100 kid prior to the reclass
was he? i thought he was a borderline 4* in the low 120s and then reclassed and dropped ~40 spots

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Whaley has been able to play the 5 spot at basically the same size as Springs.

I’m sure that Springs can be a viable backup to Sanago at the 5 next year.

Akok is definitely not the answer at center, not even as backup. Johnson we don’t know what he will be capable of yet.

Right now I’d say Springs will be getting minutes next year backing up Sanago.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom