Why is this team playing so far below it's talent level? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Why is this team playing so far below it's talent level?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Love ya Rewster but there is no way in hell you would EVER see an overhead pass to half court to a guard from AB, no shot. Or even a power dribble out quick to throw a regular pass up the sideline 20 feet to a guard. He's awful passing the ball and the instincts to rebound and immediately look up court ready to fire, well he has no instincts. It's chore to gain position and get a rebound without losing it, you can't ask him to throw it 20-40feet we would be a turnover machine. Facey either, hopefully Enoch as he's strong enough but again not instinctive for now. Remember it's not like practice where they practice it I am sure, it's about catching it ready to make the throw, if you hesitate the outlet is gone. This team has no one I would even want to see try, just not able. Actually ever see him even throw like a chest pass or alike from the right side? No zip, too challenged to learn that I am afraid. We haven't had anyone in a long long time.

I agree with your current assment of their inability to create the fast break.
We will have to disagree that after 4 years they should have/could have have been coached / conditioned enough(strength wise)to do it correctly. I don't feel that particular talent is exclusive to inate ability.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We overrated our talent.

Our only shooters are freshman, and freshman tend to struggle with that.
We've got no offensive options for bigmen.
And we've got Adams.
And also we're young.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I'm mostly referring to his moderately improved rebounding this year, which is apparent both in the stats and by watching his tenacity going after the boards that he never used to have. He's no Jeff Adrien, but still a notable improvement compared to the other guys.

I guessed that's what you meant. He's played some very small teams so we'll see if the stats hold.

Reaction Score
I agree with your current assment of their inability to create the fast break.
We will have to disagree that after 4 years they should have/could have have been coached / conditioned enough(strength wise)to do it correctly. I don't feel that particular talent is exclusive to inate ability.

Agree to disagree but no way you can tell me they haven't tried to get AB to throw an outlet pass or learn to in practice.. They do coach believe it or not, he is just unable. Remember another point on a longer pass, he has to read the defense be sure no one is around or within range to anticipate - you've watched him enough this also goes with instincts in order to complete this play - he has little to none. Please don't think the staff wouldn't want him doing it if he actually was capable.

We need guys with instincts and ability because this is a very important part of the program. You have some people who can get out and go yet you can't throw it 30 feet to give them an advantage? Oh and how many chances is he going to get on 4 rebounds anyway - rather have him become a better rebounder than passer! LOL

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Love ya Rewster but there is no way in hell you would EVER see an overhead pass to half court to a guard from AB, no shot. Or even a power dribble out quick to throw a regular pass up the sideline 20 feet to a guard. He's awful passing the ball and the instincts to rebound and immediately look up court ready to fire, well he has no instincts. It's chore to gain position and get a rebound without losing it, you can't ask him to throw it 20-40feet we would be a turnover machine. Facey either, hopefully Enoch as he's strong enough but again not instinctive for now. Remember it's not like practice where they practice it I am sure, it's about catching it ready to make the throw, if you hesitate the outlet is gone. This team has no one I would even want to see try, just not able. Actually ever see him even throw like a chest pass or alike from the right side? No zip, too challenged to learn that I am afraid. We haven't had anyone in a long long time.

It seems like a long stretch since we had any big who could start a break with a rebound and outlet pass. Once that was our bread and butter. I think it can be learned, Hilton wasn't bad at it by senior year if I recall. But I think there's a certain instinctual aspect to it as well. On the whole, I haven't been fond of our recruiting of bigs for many years (aside from Drummond). Instead of taking guys who aren't great basketball players, but who we think have a high ceiling, it might be useful to get a couple of guys who are never playing in the NBA from an athletic standpoint, but who are more skilled and have a higher basketball IQ. I mention it, because the teams we play often have those guys and they seem to feast on us. It's frustrating watching low major teams who have bigs that don't miss layups, and who box out properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom