Why is this team playing so far below it's talent level? | The Boneyard

Why is this team playing so far below it's talent level?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
People being put in new roles and youth. It was always said that the best thing about freshman is that they turn into sophomores.
Beyond that our seniors have just done nothing.

Reaction Score
It's because we have a horrendous coaching staff.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
What ever happened to the whole is greater than the sum of its parts?

What happened to Purvis? Did he forget how to shoot? Adams would make a bonehead TO once or twice a game last year, now he makes them on consecutive possessions.

It ain't all Ollie.

I'm an Ollie defender myself but I have to say a pattern we've seen with respect to his recent teams is that the whole has consistently been less than the sum of its parts.

I hear you re individual players underachieving. It's incredible to me how bad Purvis has played. And to see such little improvement in Brimah's game is astounding. It's shocking, really. Is he any better than he was as a freshman? Without DHam lobbing him the ball, his offense is gone. And he couldn't even finish the alley-oop he got the other night!

It's hard to say whether the chemistry issues and lack of player development we've had over the last few years can be blamed on the players or Ollie. Probably both.

The injuries take some of the pressure off Ollie this year, but he and the team are still going to have play hard to avoid being a complete laughingstock. It's gonna be bad; the question is just how bad?

One bad year won't destroy us. Even good programs do have years like this. Remember that Kris Lang-led UNC team? But next year the pressure will be on, big time.

Reaction Score
My thought is having the combination of Facey and Brimah on the court at the same time is a disaster. Neither one of them rebounds particularly well. They are both reasonable defenders however offensively they are both terrible. Brimah can finish ally oops but that accounts for an unreasonably high portion of his scoring. He or Facey are terrible passers within and out of the post. They pretty much make every possession a 5 on 3. Purvis forgetting how to play is also no bargain.

The sad thing is that we probably don't have better options at the moment. I would think we should just be playing Jackson and Durham a lot more and taking our lumps. Basically being really bad with some freshman improving is better than just being bad with a bunch of seniors.

Reaction Score
Coaching is a part of it, not having a solid vocal leader is another. Remember how Calhoun made Kemba and Donnell team captains prior to the 10-11 season and they got everyone onboard before the season started to develop team chemistry? This team is rutterless. Adams needs to be a leader but im not sure he is there yet. We never really saw that convertible Ollie talked about with Purvis.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I'm an Ollie defender myself but I have to say a pattern we've seen with respect to his recent teams is that the whole has consistently been less than the sum of its parts.

I hear you re individual players underachieving. It's incredible to me how bad Purvis has played. And to see such little improvement in Brimah's game is astounding. It's shocking, really. Is he any better than he was as a freshman? Without DHam lobbing him the ball, his offense is gone. And he couldn't even finish the alley-oop he got the other night!

It's hard to say whether the chemistry issues and lack of player development we've had over the last few years can be blamed on the players or Ollie. Probably both.

The injuries take some of the pressure off Ollie this year, but he and the team are still going to have play hard to avoid being a complete laughingstock. It's gonna be bad; the question is just how bad?

One bad year won't destroy us. Even good programs do have years like this. Remember that Kris Lang-led UNC team? But next year the pressure will be on, big time.

Nailed it.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Earth to boneyard. Earth to boneyard.
How many NBA scouts are longing for the opportunity to draft Purvis? Brimah? Facey?Enoch? Adams? Vital? Jackson?

We have one NBA player and he is in on injured reserve.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Adams could well be an NBA player.
Tough road. He is short for a two guard. His outside shot is probable and his dribble is high. He loses his man on defense. But he has a shot.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Tough road. He is short for a two guard. His outside shot is probable and his dribble is high. He loses his man on defense. But he has a shot.

He's got to tighten his handle because his only chance is as a PG, IMO.

Reaction Score
Brimah & Facey's roles have never had as big of expectations as they do now, and now that they have the spotlight to be "the guys" and seize the opportunity their true abilities are being exposed and they are folding.

Purvis is an enigma to me right now. There is absolutely no reason or excuse for him playing as poorly as he is, minus the death of his good friend at OKST and the mental impact it's having on him. Otherwise I simply just don't get it.

Pretty obvious Jalen needs another year to become a more disciplined and polished leader.

Reaction Score
It's been a long time since the days when we would be pleasantly surprised by the development of players or teams from one season to the next.

Almost every surprise with this program lately is negative.

Instead of "whoa, where did this Hilton Armstrong come from" or even "hey, Gavin Edwards looks like a legit starting big", our reactions are "ugh, still not seeing anything from Facey", "Purvis is the same guy he's been for 2 years".

These positive surprises used to not even be, well, surprising. They were expected. Players got better over their 2-4 years here.

Player development is a major question mark with this coaching staff. And with the lack of NBA success for this staff's graduates, it won't be long before recruits become skeptical of what these guys can do for them. Diallo is a major test. If the recruits dry up, with no innate talent and no development, our mid-major status will be firmly entrenched.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Skill, leadership and seniority inversion.

The three seniors don't, play to a level that's expected of a McD's AA, 4-star and 3 year starter.

The new kids are more talented and are trying to figure out how to push their way to the top.

Three straight years of grossly underperforming seniors.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

He's a natural PG. Why would anyone think he's a SG? He's our best player, including the people who are injured.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He's got to tighten his handle because his only chance is as a PG, IMO.

He's also only a handful of games into his sophomore year. Neither Kemba or Bazz were remotely NBA players either at that point.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
@nomar Yea good programs have down years for sure but I don't recall any programs on UConn's tier going 3 straight years of below expectation play, like 3 straight NIT poor (realistically NIT, limp into first round, NIT). Let's not get this confused, this isn't normal.

Reaction Score
What ever happened to the whole is greater than the sum of its parts?

What happened to Purvis? Did he forget how to shoot? Adams would make a bonehead TO once or twice a game last year, now he makes them on consecutive possessions.

It ain't all Ollie.

Great question. I know we have standards and expectations for the program. Maybe the players don't feel any pressure and feel as if they can coast through practice. Like they always say, how you practice is how you play during games. Could be player development is lacking and we are cutting corners. Letting players get away with sloppy play and not holding them accountable. Could be the lack of purpose by the players. Not all players buying into what the coaching staff wants or demands from the team. That Boston U game made me really cringe.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Ollie's guards not named Shabazz Napier have never taken great care of the ball. His chaotic offensive gameplan, or lack thereof, leads to turnovers/bad shots/bad possessions.

Reaction Score
Thank God for this thread because now all of my questions are answered. They aren't coaching anymore, not during games and especially not at practice. Not sure how they expect to win games then?

I knew all along it couldn't be the kids not comprehending but just wasn't sure. Well, maybe we can get some of the BYers to catch them at class or on their way to give them some insight as to how to really break a zone press or a 2-3 half court zone. I mean imagine the poor kids going into Monday's game with just the UConn coaches going through the motions, they will get killed right? Someone please get up there NOW.

Head bang

Reaction Score
The good days when we knew our young players would come back the next year improved from the last are long gone. There is something seriously wrong with player development and it's become obvious with our current upperclassmen stinking up the joint. That's why it's really hard to be excited about our freshmen despite the high rankings because the last few years have taught us that what they are now might be what they will be by the time they're done here.

Reaction Score
Without naming names, fans on this board have to be a little tougher. It is like we traded for a top pitcher, but he lost two fingers in an accident and all the fans are chanting that the catcher calls a turrible game.

As to why - I think the issue is as simple as the myth that you play like you practice. You practice to learn and habituate, but you want to play free and try to find peak performance. Rodney and Amida, to pick on captains, are thinking about where to stand and where to go. Game Day needs to mean just Do It.

Bring in a sports psychologist. I know Kevin did the first or second year.

Reaction Score
Coaching is a part of it, not having a solid vocal leader is another. Remember how Calhoun made Kemba and Donnell team captains prior to the 10-11 season and they got everyone onboard before the season started to develop team chemistry? This team is rutterless. Adams needs to be a leader but im not sure he is there yet. We never really saw that convertible Ollie talked about with Purvis.

Kemba and Donnells' 2009-2011 team was loaded compared to this one. Why did it play so far below its talent level at 7-11 Big East and 18-16 overall?

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
We have not had a skilled front court in a few years and it has severally limited our offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom