Why is South Carolina #1? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Why is South Carolina #1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Ok smarty pants! ;)... so how do you explain football polls where a 1-loss team is ranked ahead of an undefeated team? Because the pollsters and computers and what not look at SOS and ALSO how impressive victories are over other teams. This is why you have 12-1 Alabama and 12-1 Oregon ranked ahead of 13-0 Florida State.

I'm not saying that SC should NOT be ranked #1, but I do agree that there is wiggle room and an argument that UCONN could be considered. This is evidenced by the national polls where UCONN has 7 and 6 1st place votes respectively in the AP and Coaches polls. It will all be moot at least by Feb 9 since the 2 teams play. If either loses a game between now and then, the polls of course will have a different dynamic...

One last thing on the impressiveness of wins - SC needed a miracle to beat a Duke team on a 2 game losing streak in the last seconds, and had to come from behind to beat Syracuse by 4 or 5. Those are not "good" wins in the sense that they were ugly against teams that the score should not have been that close.

It was the same argument I made when UCONN lost to Stanford, and THEN Stanford went on to lose to Texas in OT (understandable), barely squeaked past New Mexico (poor showing) and got thumped by UNC. That makes UCONN's loss "look" worse based on Stanford's poor performance vs. other teams. The eyeball test I guess you'd call it...
ESD~
First of all I discussed the CFB situation in another Post on here, CFB is joke, FSU is the defending NC and hasn't lost a game in 2 years, how are they not #1? TCU was #3 last week and did nothing but win their game, so why #6 now? The Eye Test is for media pundits, athletic competitions are decided on the field or court. As I said earlier, polls are stupid because many of the voters have never seen the teams they vote for play. A win is win, there's no such thing as a good win or a bad win, they're all good!! There is no team now that looks the same now as it will look in March, so I'll have fun with these debates and watching the games. Isn't that what its all about.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
We should do our own poll. The BY poll. Rank them ourselves. Hmmm maybe I'll do that. Send out invitations to "certain" "select" "pollsters". Nobody will actually know who is doing the voting. It will be all secretive. Maybe I'll get a sponser, like the Emirates Boneyard Poll.

hmmmmm. :cool:

Reaction Score
ESD~
First of all I discussed the CFB situation in another Post on here, CFB is joke, FSU is the defending NC and hasn't lost a game in 2 years, how are they not #1? TCU was #3 last week and did nothing but win their game, so why #6 now? The Eye Test is for media pundits, athletic competitions are decided on the field or court. As I said earlier, polls are stupid because many of the voters have never seen the teams they vote for play. A win is win, there's no such thing as a good win or a bad win, they're all good!! There is no team now that looks the same now as it will look in March, so I'll have fun with these debates and watching the games. Isn't that what its all about.

I disagree. If team A plays ranked teams and a few unranked teams, but loses to a ranked team, they should be consider in second place to a team with no losses who plays mostly Little brothers of the Poor and 1or2 ranked teams. Uhh NO'.

Reaction Score
I disagree. If team A plays ranked teams and a few unranked teams, but loses to a ranked team, they should be consider in second place to a team with no losses who plays mostly Little brothers of the Poor and 1or2 ranked teams. Uhh NO'.
You're wasting your time Nell (of course it's your time so waste away if you like ;)). You're attempting to debate with someone who articulates no cohesive assumptions then uses conditions he rejects to buttress his conclusions. He doesn't think much of preseason polls then uses them exclusively to argue that South Carolina should be ranked above UConn.

1. SC was ranked #2 (preseason)
2. #1 (preseason) lost.
3. Ergo, SC should be ranked #1. Q.E.D.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
You're wasting your time Nell (of course it's your time so waste away if you like ;)). You're attempting to debate with someone who articulates no cohesive assumptions then uses conditions he rejects to buttress his conclusions. He doesn't think much of preseason polls then uses them exclusively to argue that South Carolina should be ranked above UConn.

1. SC was ranked #2 (preseason)
2. #1 (preseason) lost.
3. Ergo, SC should be ranked #1. Q.E.D.
I wonder how the world is in such a state of disrepair with all of the geniuses that frequent this Board.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I think we are getting ahead of ourselves here. UConn imo is the team to beat right now. Theyre aren't ranked number 1 because of a flukey loss to Stanford much like a flukly loss by DePaul and one by Duke. Things like that happenn. The biggest difference is UConn now has a different lineup. So all things being equal when the NCAAs come around it will be UConn in an easy bracket and everybody else fighting it out to reach the FF. Why? Because you put any good team in UConns bracket and they will lose thus not making the FF. UConn is so dominate and will be by March its only fair to the other top teams to not have to face UConn until the FF. Any team facing UConn before the FF will not make it. That's the biggest difference in WCBB today. So having another team ranked number 1 is fine with me. I am confident that UConn (barring injuries) will not lose another game. Some fans think UConn caught a break at ND with Turner hurt. I don't. I don't think it would've made much of a difference. First of all UConn won by 18 and I don't think Turner could've made up 18 pts without Lloyd scoring less points which would be almost a wash. Second there isn't a team in WCBB that has the balance, defense and team chemistry that UConn has. So sit back and enjoy the holidays and games coming up. Its just a matter of time before UConn is ranked number 1 again. I will say I think USC ND Texas TAM and the rest of the top teams will lose games this season b

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom