Why is South Carolina #1? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why is South Carolina #1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It all works out in the end. It always does. We'll get to show them the Husky way in a couple of months.

Reaction Score
Say USC comes into it's game vs UConn undefeated...

That would mean that USC would first have to beat a top-10 ranked Duke - Duke is not in the top-10 now with 3 losses, but they lost all three to ranked opponents in consecutive games with their top player either missing the games to injury or just coming back from that injury - a top-10 ranked Kentucky (who still has to play @ Duke before us), and a top-5 ranked Texas A&M (who will play Texas for their next big game, and also plays UT before us). Also USC will have to beat ranked UGA, who is undefeated and quickly moving up the rankings but will run a gauntlet of TAMU, @ UT, @ UK, and then hosting USC in successive games(!!!). Four days after the UGA game, USC faces UConn...

IF USC gets through all those unscathed, but even struggles through them, will there still be posters here saying that finally UConn gets to show USC who is rightfully the #1 team?
Listen, as impressive as that sounds, we've got SMU, Tulane, Tulsa, and Houston to worry about. But I don't wanna brag or anything.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

That would mean that USC would first have to beat a top-10 ranked Duke - Duke is not in the top-10 now with 3 losses, but they lost all three to ranked opponents in consecutive games with their top player either missing the games to injury or just coming back from that injury - a top-10 ranked Kentucky (who still has to play @ Duke before us), and a top-5 ranked Texas A&M (who will play Texas for their next big game, and also plays UT before us). Also USC will have to beat ranked UGA, who is undefeated and quickly moving up the rankings but will run a gauntlet of TAMU, @ UT, @ UK, and then hosting USC in successive games(!!!). Four days after the UGA game, USC faces UConn...

IF USC gets through all those unscathed, but even struggles through them, will there still be posters here saying that finally UConn gets to show USC who is rightfully the #1 team?

Yes

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Silly to bring in the Football world. The "committee" is paid to meet, discuss and evaluate - something they do all week.

The AP and Coaches polls are something people vote on because they get a reminder email to submit their votes. No one has the time or inclination to do a thorough analysis for something that doesn't mean diddly squat to anyone but the SIDs and writers who need to talk up games.

Reaction Score
Not #1? Does not matter at all to me..... That will not affect how we play or how we prepare....

We will be #1 when it counts..... and then looking back , being #1 on December 8th will not have mattered.

Reaction Score
Because they was ranked #2 and UConn lost
Stupid questions shouldn't be allowed

Reaction Score
As others have posted, the only poll that really matters is the one that comes out after the NC game. Having said that, how about if each pollster was told today they had to put $1000 of their own money down on one team in Vegas to win it all? Me thinks we would see some 'slightly' different results in first place votes:)

Go Huskies-the eventual and inevitable #1 come early April!!!!

Reaction Score

GOOD GOD STOP !!!! YOU ARE NUMBER ONE !!!! For now, simply enjoy it, take it for what it is worth. Share it with friends on your board. The number one paranoia will destroy ya.
2/9/15 will answer all your questions. For now you should just chill and stop worring about posters here as you almost out number them!

Reaction Score
SC could very well come to Gampel on 2/9 undefeated. This would be good
for WBB.
That may be true but is there anyone who thinks they are the number one team in the country or for that matter, is it possible that there aren't a number of teams in the country that play a better brand of ball then that team. That was one of the worst performances of basketball that I've seen in a very long time. I'm not talking about the athleticism but the actual "skill" of basketball which is to score points while preventing the other team from doing so. I've heard comments about their defensive prowess but I think it had a lot more to do with Duke's ineptness than any defensive excellence. When has there been a more embarrassing number one team???? Shameful!

Reaction Score
The number 1 ranking shouldn't matter at all for UCONN fans. You have 9 titles!!! Let someone else enjoy a moment in the sun without belittling their accomplishments.
Accomplishments???? They won all their games though they played less than stellar teams and actually won their last game against a team who was horribly overranked and played quite poorly and yet still had a four point lead until they shot themselves in the foot and basically threw the game away. Basically, you would expect a team to EARN the number one ranking by playing examplary ball and as of yet, I don't think there's a lot of people who feel they've ACCOMPLISHED that. In theory, the number one team should be a team that is exceptional and performing at an extraordinary level. Are you suggesting that South Carolina quite fits that description????

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Undefeated > 1 loss. That's why. We'll get them soon enough.

Reaction Score
Someone (I think John Wooden, but I can't find any reference on the web to that effect, so I'll leave it at "someone") once said that, unlike in football, where the polls determine a great deal due to the fact that teams play only (then) eleven games, only a very few of which are out-of-conference, in basketball the polls at the end of the day matter not at all due to the existence of a national championship tournament. The best teams, including UConn will be invited to participate in it, and it will reveal who the best team is. The polls are just that, surveys of a number of journalists (AP) or collegiate coaches (ESPN/USA Today Coaches' poll) as to who they believe to be the 25 best teams in the country as of the date the poll is taken. Remember, folks, we recently had an election in this country -- there were polls leading up to that as well; some were correct and accurate predicted the outcome, and others didn't, but at the end of the day their impact on the world was zero; the actual votes cast by you and me and our fellow citizens determined what happened.

So while being #1 is a nice thing, it really doesn't matter all that much. As long as we're in the top 4, we get a #1 seed in March in the national championship tournament. And any team invited to that tournament who wins six games gets the national championship trophy.

Reaction Score
That may be true but is there anyone who thinks they are the number one team in the country or for that matter, is it possible that there aren't a number of teams in the country that play a better brand of ball then that team. That was one of the worst performances of basketball that I've seen in a very long time. I'm not talking about the athleticism but the actual "skill" of basketball which is to score points while preventing the other team from doing so. I've heard comments about their defensive prowess but I think it had a lot more to do with Duke's ineptness than any defensive excellence. When has there been a more embarrassing number one team???? Shameful!
Did you really forget UConn scoring just 12 points in a half 4 seasons ago? A team that had both Maya Moore and Tina Charles on it, mind you. I think that qualifies as more embarrassing than anything South Carolina did on Sunday.

Reaction Score
Did you really forget UConn scoring just 12 points in a half 4 seasons ago? A team that had both Maya Moore and Tina Charles on it, mind you. I think that qualifies as more embarrassing than anything South Carolina did on Sunday.
And like USC, Uconn found a way to win. I look forward to the game in February.

Reaction Score
I say this respectfully and recognize you are just giving an opinion -- But I could truly care less.

As others said, it is great for the sport of WCBB. Whether we are 1,2 or 10 is so irrelevant. When we beat them silly at Gampel, all this will work itself out.

In Tiger Woods' heyday, the betting for a major tournament used to be "Tiger vs the field." By the time the FF comes around, the betting will be UConn vs the field.
I disagree that the polls are irrelevant. It's true they have no impact on the champion that is eventually crowned but they confer an air of legitimacy to teams throughout the year. Right now South Carolina is likely enjoying unearned respect simply because voters tend to knock down teams after losses and boost teams with fewer losses over teams with greater losses. "So what?" you ask. I've already conceded the polls don't crown champions. Recruits are looking at polls though. Perception does affect decisions. Voters SHOULD approach each week's placement the same way they do the preseason poll. Who are best 25 teams and in what order. Instead, the model seems to be whom did I vote for last week and move teams who didn't lose over teams that did. Their only decision appears to be Team A lost, how far should they be demoted.

Reaction Score
Winning matters, it isn't about style points, who looks the best or whom everyone thinks is the best. On-court results are what should matter. SC is undefeated and until someone beats them they are and should remain #1. Where does this culture if equivocation stem from? In sports winning is what matters, first, last and always!! UConn will get the opportunity to prove who is better on Feb. 9th, after that game, they'll be no doubt about who is #1.
Texas is undefeated. Should they be ranked above us? Texas A&M, North Carolina, Oregon State, Georgia, and Mississippi State are also unbeaten. Should UConn be ranked #8? And that's just unbeaten top 25 teams. Do we even belong in the top ten?

Reaction Score

Is that a serious question?

Reaction Score
The number 1 ranking shouldn't matter at all for UCONN fans. You have 9 titles!!! Let someone else enjoy a moment in the sun without belittling their accomplishments.
Why should we tout the living conditions in fools' paradises?

Reaction Score
A casual fan of WCBB tunes in to ESPN to watch the #1 team in the country vs Duke, and what do they see?

Is it always "Good for the game" of WCBB to have an overrated team as #1 playing BB like SC did/does?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom