Why I think UConn will win the NC. | The Boneyard

Why I think UConn will win the NC.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Its easy. They have the two best guards in WCBB and 2 AA's in Phessa and Lou and you know what Walker and ONO are on their way to becoming AA's. UConn's quickness, poise, discipline, and team ball will take them all the way. The only thing that can keep UConn from winning it all is injuries and foul trouble.

GO Huskies

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Its easy. They have the two best guards in WCBB and 2 AA's in Phessa and Lou and you know what Walker and ONO are on their way to becoming AA's. UConn's quickness, poise, discipline, and team ball will take them all the way. The only thing that can keep UConn from winning it all is injuries and foul trouble.

GO Huskies
Sounds about right to me.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
We have this kid and no one else does.

AR-180129726.jpg&Maxw=960&q=75

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Based upon what I have seen thus far, UConn is much better than anticipated and the usual suspects aren't quite as formidable as imagined. Still early, but like where we are.

Would like it even better if Napheesa goes back to 80% from the line and ONO stops fouling so much. Everything matters in a close game.

The challenge is to be peaking physically and mentally in late March and early April.

Reaction Score

GO Huskies
I like what you say, but I would have (and probably did) say the same thing last year. I’m waiting till the fat lady sings this time.

Reaction Score
I like what you say, but I would have (and probably did) say the same thing last year. I’m waiting till the fat lady sings this time.
Right. Because I was certain that last year it was a sure thing, especially after we demolished the South Carolina in the Elite Eight.

Fortunately, Lou and Pheesa learned a thing or two from the tournament as well. They know that the only sure thing is that the seniors have to bring their big games to Tampa Bay if they want to win it all as upperclassmen. I feel very good about the way those two are going about their business this year.

Reaction Score

GO Huskies

I am sure you think that every year. This year you might be correct.

Reaction Score
I think a memo like this was written last year and the year before. We would be better served by indicating the UConn Women have the potential to win the National Championship this year. I personally thought that with the team that they had last year, that they would win the National Championship last year. Then, all of a sudden one young woman has a great game and buzzer beater that bursts that bubble.

I am hesitant to reflect on the National Championship at this point. Do I think that they have a good chance to go to the final four. Yeah. I still think that the road to the National Championship goes through Notre Dame. The only thing that defeats Notre Dame is their own arrogance. And, I think UConn may have solved that problem by the victory on their (ND) home court.

I certainly hope that they do like everyone on this board. I wish that the UConn schedule was more fierce during the rest of the season because after playing 16 powder puffs, there is a let down of intensity and skills that were honed seemed to fall off. It seems that over the last two years, UConn is not really tested again until the final four and that remains to be seen. By that time it is either too late, or talent and intensity go into high gear.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I hope with all my heart & soul that TonyC is absolutely correct. Right now it’s clear that UConn is the best team in the country. The fact is that the Huskies almost always start the season with a level of execution and effort that no team can match, while every other team is a work in progress.

By the end of the season, there are usually a number of teams that have figured things out and are playing at their best. Two years ago it was SC & MS St. Last season it was ND.

As for UConn, I firmly believe that injuries last season prevented the Huskies from really being 100% going into the Big Dance. But this year, if the Huskies stay healthy, there is no reason why they shouldn’t be firing on all cylinders come March.

Reaction Score
I agree with the gist of TonyC's post. I do think ND or Ms. St. could beat the Huskies if they bring their A game and the Huskies don't. But, yeah, the evidence is pretty clear that the Huskies are the best team in WCBB and the most likely thing to prevent UConn from winning the NC is injuries and/or foul trouble.

One more quibble ... I think the jury is out on ONO and Megan being on their way to AA status. Megan in particular has improved but still isn't playing up to her potential. I'd love to see her become an AA but I'm not expecting it.

Reaction Score
I remember the first time I visited this forum was before ND played UCONN in the final 4. I hope Y’all are really confident like y’all were before that game. Because it seems when Y’all doubt Your team like Y’all were a little bit before the ND game a couple weeks ago it put some juju out there. I like it more when Y’all are predicting to wipe the floor with ND. Gives ND better juju haha

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Year after year UConn comes out stronger than expected in the fall. Fans on other boards solemnly proclaim it will be all different come March when UConn will fall back into the pack. I read this just yesterday on an Orange SEC board. The fallacy of this thinking is of course self evident. As if UConn is trapped in amber as everyone else advances. If anything, this is a year when we might see the greatest advances by a UConn team in quite a while given the freshman contributors and a bench that seems to be turning the corner.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I'm encouraged by Tony's analysis.
But Old Dude has a point as well.

I was thrilled by the team's play in the ND game and by the coach's
schemes to limit ND's effectiveness; brilliant planning and brilliant execution combined with poise and confidence.

But remember; many of us, in the lead-up to that game (not irrationally) surmised that ND was the more seasoned and experienced team, with height and heft that we were not prepared to deal with and that in the game, their bigs missed many, many makable shots and botched numerous plays.

Those strengths (of theirs) would not necessarily be absent in a future meeting just because on that one night we were superior.

It may be that we have delivered a mortal blow to their confidence.
It may be that our superior guard play trumps their height and heft.

But their guards also possess skills and smarts...and on a different day, might very well be much more effective.

I would be more confident of a national championship, if ND were upset on the way to the title game.
But in my mind, a final with the Irish is still a tossup.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
It will be another Semifinal match up at the FF. The committee will again rig the seeds so ND And UCONN play each other before the Final because it is better if we give other teams a chance at the title for the growth of the sport...

Reaction Score
TC was the talisman whose head I figuratively stroked before every game last year. And he was almost always right . . . except . . .

Reaction Score
to keep things calm in the universe, it might be time for a "WE'RE DOOMED";):eek::rolleyes:comment in this thread!!!

While I'm encouraged by the play of UCONN to date...and the less than expected level of play by some of the likely opponents to date... it is really, really, really early... things change as the season progresses. I like the way things are going ... but let's not get too far out in front of this thing. :);)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It will be another Semifinal match up at the FF. The committee will again rig the seeds so ND And UCONN play each other before the Final because it is better if we give other teams a chance at the title for the growth of the sport...

Notre Dame was the lowest #1 seed last year and was far from the favorite. That is why they met UConn in the semifinal. So they didn't rig anything. I think they would prefer a UConn vs ND finals.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame was the lowest #1 seed last year and was far from the favorite. That is why they met UConn in the semifinal.
Agree... and I believe if it comes to pass that on big dance selection day UCONN is #1 overall seed and ND is #2 overall seed, (or vice versa) , they will not play or have potential to play each other until NC Final game

Reaction Score
If ND wins the rest of their Regular Season games plus wins the ACC Tourny. They’ll probably be the #2 1 seed unless Miss St. goes un beaten then maybe they’d get the #2 1 seed. If what I said happens ND wouldn’t see UCONN until the Championship game if both teams would make it there.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I remember the first time I visited this forum was before ND played UCONN in the final 4. I hope Y’all are really confident like y’all were before that game. Because it seems when Y’all doubt Your team like Y’all were a little bit before the ND game a couple weeks ago it put some juju out there. I like it more when Y’all are predicting to wipe the floor with ND. Gives ND better juju haha
It's always impressive when a writer can juxtapose the words "juju" and "haha".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom