Why football might actually be the biggest winner. | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Why football might actually be the biggest winner.

Is this realistic (at least in 2-3 years when we get our feet under us)?

• Total voters
Reaction Score
And they are teams that UConn fans would be "excited" to see. That tells me they weren't all low-level G5s.

So you were in on these alleged phone calls? Or, as I suspect, are you just talking out of your backside?

Reaction Score
The same benefit as when we were in the AAC? Not every school in the league received that designation.
The same benefit as when we were in the AAC? Not every school in the league received that designation.
It is not a guaranteed designation by any conference. It can be taken away for future scheduling. And that designation was not given after consecutive 3 and 1 win seasons.

TJT

Reaction Score
Anyone claiming this move will be good for football is being delusional and cannot accept the reality of what will soon follow. UConn football will wither away in the FBS wilderness as an independent. The administration has made their decision choosing basketball over football.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
IDK, UMass fan and see you are very caught up in scheduling P5 teams, but what about bowl access. We have not been P5 or had the brief success that youhad, but feel to some extent winning games bring fans out. Could be wrong but P5 teams could bring 1-3k and for the most part MAC teams bring 1-3 hundred, with exceptions like Ohio.

Would 3 regional P5 games and a FCS game be enough to join UMass in a bid for FB only MAC membership, for championship game and bowl access.

MAC East Division:
Ohio
UMass
UConn
Buffalo
Miami
Akron
Kent St.

Have started this thread with more details, that were formed by writing on a few boards and refining a bit.
Would the MAC accept a UConn and UMass package with minimum TV or CFP Money

Pending TV coverage/deal (i.e. as Indy would could schedule our home games at SNY's discretion and not play Tuesday nights on ESPN for attendance purposes), I would think that going the MAC route in an eastern division might be our best move?

Play the 8 MAC games + 3P5 + 1 FCS?

I have hopes the Indy schedule would be more attractive than that, but I think it's probably far fetched.

Reaction Score
Ohio State played fewer MAC teams than Wisconsin, Pudue, Michigan State, Northwestern, etc. Even Minnesota has played 36 games vs the MAC.

The MAC appears to be a Big Ten hunting preserve.

All about proximity...UConn should try to establish something with Buffalo. 6.5 hours by car.

Reaction Score
Anyone claiming this move will be good for football is being delusional and cannot accept the reality of what will soon follow. UConn football will wither away in the FBS wilderness as an independent. The administration has made their decision choosing basketball over football.
New Mexico State, Notre Dame, Army, BYU, and Umass are all independents. So why can't UConn take the same path? Also UConn adding itself to the roster of independents gives even more legitimacy to this path for other schools, rather than withering in a crappy conference. If UConn is successful and I think they will be, the AAC will implode faster than you can say ESPN +. The ESPN contract is garbage now, and Aresco's dealings have blown up in his face. Other AAC Schools with strong basketball and football programs like Cincinnati, UCF, and South Florida will be watching very closely. UConn has "shocked the world" again by showing P5 conferences the value UConn brings to any conference, or the value that leaves with them.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Anyone claiming that this move isn't the right decision for all sports is being delusional and cannot accept the reality of what will soon follow. UConn football has withered away in the AAC wilderness, and has flatlined. The Administration has made their choice to save the athletic program and stop listening to the same pro-AAC morons that have brought the athletic program to its knees.

Reaction Score
The truth is...UConn will probably not be a national player in football.

It is what it is...the administration made a choice that gives the premier sport the best chance to be elite.

UConn football has a chance to move up from bad to something better...but finishing ranked is probably years away, if in the picture at all.

Reaction Score
I'm sure you think calling me a troll is going to shut me up, but it won't. Especially since you didn't even attempt to prove my post wrong.

A "received narrative" has emerged on this board over the past week. It's not something that can be defended with argument. The narrative is rather a commitment to a vision of the future that must come true because every alternative is unthinkable. "X must be true because if X is false then we are screwed." To challenge that vision is to be a "hater" and a "troll". The challenge is perceived as a counsel of despair.

So there isn't really an argument to be had. Events must play themselves out, for better or worse. Experience is a harsh mistress, and pitiless in her instruction.

Reaction Score

It is what it is...the administration made a choice that gives the premier sport the best chance to be elite.

UConn football has a chance to move up from bad to something better...but finishing ranked is probably years away, if in the picture at all.
It's all about coaching, coaching, coaching in football, much more so than in basketball. Basketball, yes coaching is important, but much more so than in football, recruiting is EVERYTHING in college basketball.

The reason I make this distinction is back in the early 2000's UConn football HAD coaching, coaching, coaching. RE1.0 had surrounded himself with the best coaching crew in the Big East...Rob Ambrose, Todd Orlando, Joe Morehead, and a couple others. UConn football was on it's way, but things happened and that staff was completely gone by 2011.

If RE2.0 can assemble a similarly talented staff, then all UConn football needs is a couple years, either independent or not. What worries me is it's 17 years later with a lot of water having passed under the bridge and I wonder if Coach Edsall has the same fight in him that he had 20 or so years ago when Toner hired him. Not saying he's not the same, just wondering, and I hope I'm 100% wrong.

Reaction Score
A "received narrative" has emerged on this board over the past week. It's not something that can be defended with argument. The narrative is rather a commitment to a vision of the future that must come true because every alternative is unthinkable. "X must be true because if X is false then we are screwed." To challenge that vision is to be a "hater" and a "troll". The challenge is perceived as a counsel of despair.

So there isn't really an argument to be had. Events must play themselves out, for better or worse. Experience is a harsh mistress, and pitiless in her instruction.
I put the board mood, generally, near the week after Edsall left. The we can do better and this is the opportunity to thrive week. Close second is the Bob Diaco hire week. The Boyle’s award winner will lead Uconn to greatness weeks. Optimism in the face of uncertainty. Not a bad defense mechanism.

Reaction Score

What is?

Reaction Score
I put the board mood, generally, near the week after Edsall left. The we can do better and this is the opportunity to thrive week. Close second is the Bob Diaco hire week. The Boyle’s award winner will lead Uconn to greatness weeks. Optimism in the face of uncertainty. Not a bad defense mechanism.
"Broyles" not "Boyles". Stop with the cliche's and concentrate on your spelling.

Reaction Score
"Broyles" not "Boyles". Stop with the cliche's and concentrate on your spelling.
Sorry aboot the mixtapes in my spooling. I am not sure wot cleshea yu are referrring two. Please donut give me an in Inglish spieling.

I get that people want to believe this is a good thing for football. Fan is short for fanatics and this board has the most loyal of all Uconn FB, and Uconn sports overall and they want to see the positive in all of this. I just don’t share the optimism. I tend to be wrong a lot but sometimes, like a broken clock, I am not wrong.

Reaction Score
Sorry aboot the mixtapes in my spooling. I am not sure wot cleshea yu are referrring two. Please donut give me an in Inglish spieling.

I get that people want to believe this is a good thing for football. Fan is short for fanatics and this board has the most loyal of all Uconn FB, and Uconn sports overall and they want to see the positive in all of this. I just don’t share the optimism. I tend to be wrong a lot but sometimes, like a broken clock, I am not wrong.
If you're not a fan then why are you wasting your time on a UConn fan board every night?

Reaction Score
For us to have something positive out of this occur for football the powers that be will have to loosen the academic standards for the football student /athletes. We have to play by the same rules that the teams we are playing play by. More so now that we will be Brother Bob's Traveling Show.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
It all sucks but so be it. There's no magic wand being waved to change anything and it's clear where the University stands in terms of athletic programs. While I'm not overly excited about rejoining the Big East as others are, mainly because of it's current make up vs what it once was, it's a move that needed to be made.

The pipe dream that any top end P5 program will ever come here needs to stop. You aren't getting a Penn St or Ohio St coming here on a 4-1 because you added a men's and women's bball package. We'll be lucky to get on their schedule as a pay game. This is our reality and I think many of you need to see it. After our current P5 home games run out, I have a hard time seeing us having a yearly P5, no matter the caliber, home game every season. We're looking at MAC, CUSA, Sun Belt, Indy, FCS.

Reaction Score
The move to the Big East was a move that UConn had to make. The AAC was not working for either football or basketball and attendance was plummeting. The AAC was a league we landed in by necessity, not by choice. It didn't work.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Anyone claiming that this move isn't the right decision for all sports is being delusional and cannot accept the reality of what will soon follow. UConn football has withered away in the AAC wilderness, and has flatlined. The Administration has made their choice to save the athletic program and stop listening to the same pro-AAC morons that have brought the athletic program to its knees.
While the AAC wasn't a great place to be, that is not what caused football to wither.

The "Administration" that you mention, in its various versions of the last years, has caused the state we are in with the poor hiring of football coaches, and the lack of investment for the rest of the football coaching staff.

The AAC was the right choice when we lost our Big East home. We had a football footprint to manage, and there were probably less options for football and independence at that time... and we wanted to make sure we kept our payouts for the post season play.

As a UConn fan who invests most of my energy in football, I agree this move back to the Big East is the right move for the university. I am saddened because I see a logical conclusion for where this can lead.

Reaction Score
The move to the Big East was a move that UConn had to make. The AAC was not working for either football or basketball and attendance was plummeting. The AAC was a league we landed in by necessity, not by choice. It didn't work.
The realignment tornado sucked up the big east and shat it out and UConn was the kernel of corn for which it just didn't sit right. There may be a couple other kernels looking for rosier landing spots.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
The realignment tornado sucked up the big east and shat it out and UConn was the kernel of corn for which it just didn't sit right. There may be a couple other kernels looking for rosier landing spots.

That's kind of poetic. Well done.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom