Why football might actually be the biggest winner. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Why football might actually be the biggest winner.

Is this realistic (at least in 2-3 years when we get our feet under us)?

• Total voters
Reaction Score
I'd throw Iowa in there with a possible H&H. Kirk Ferentz has deep roots at UCONN.
How does that benefit Iowa? Why would they give an away game to independent Uconn? If they would not do it when Uconn was in a conference, they will not do it now.

You should ask that about every possible home and home idea out there against a P5 team. How does that away game benefit them? Who can they schedule at home that does not want that return game? Is a game against independent Uconn in a recruiting dead zone for most programs worth more than a game against other G5 or independent programs that have no desire for a return game or even a 2 for 1 scenario?

Reaction Score
No -- Buffalo, a mid major, played Ohio State in 2013 -- so in theory UConn has a small chance to schedule top football teams. Right now, it doesn't seem likely but if the program becomes competitive again who knows. I would rather have it stay in AAC but that seems even less likely than playing Ohio State.

Reaction Score
I assume it is less expensive to play at Citifield and then would come more costly Yankee Stadium. Are pro football venues the most expensive to play at? If Texas wanted to play we would say anyplace you want. But for schools like UVA or Duke or SMU if they do not want East Hartford Citifield may be an economical option.
Based on facts alone, another ridiculous post. UVA, puke, & smu with a minimal following particularly in the northeast have each played at The Rent. In hopes of winning a first game and gaining revenge after 2 losses against the Huskies, Puke just signed a 1-1 H-H with UConn. None of those schools command playing in NY.

Based on a series of foolish posts, you must be trolling. Not very well, but trolling. Thanks for the comic relief.

Reaction Score
The MAC and Big Ten play a bunch.

Ohio State has played 26 games
Michigan....24
Mich. St......37
Penn St......28
Purdue.......50
Wisc...........34
NWestern...29

Reaction Score
May be it is and maybe it isn't possible.

BYU doesn't have that schedule. They are a bit higher on the FB totem pole so one has to ask why we could get this schedule while BYU can't.
Reason #1) Because BYU doesn't have 22 or 23 National Championships in major college sports under it's belt.

Reason #2) Because BYU can't say if you play us in football we'll play you in men's or women's basketball in an OOC game at MSG. Well maybe they could but who would care.

Reason #3) The only leverage BYU might have is free lift tickets, hunting and trout fishing in the Wasatch, and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

Reason #4) For BYU to schedule a H&H with anybody in P5 is harder than flying to the moon. Provo is hard to get to, it's not like it's an easy bus ride from New Jersey or Massachusetts to Storrs. It's hundreds if not thousands of miles away from anywhere AND it's almost 5000 ft in elevation. They are good in football so they do get some teams to come play them but it's a difficult sell.

Reaction Score
How does that benefit Iowa? Why would they give an away game to independent Uconn? If they would not do it when Uconn was in a conference, they will not do it now.

You should ask that about every possible home and home idea out there against a P5 team. How does that away game benefit them? Who can they schedule at home that does not want that return game? Is a game against independent Uconn in a recruiting dead zone for most programs worth more than a game against other G5 or independent programs that have no desire for a return game or even a 2 for 1 scenario?
Then I guess you don't like Shizzles Big Ten list either, period. Yeah, maybe a little optimistic but it's a good post by a good fan. I just threw Iowa into that mix because of Ferentz's ties to Uconn. Shizzle lists several Big Ten teams, and I guess you don't believe Benedict either saying that several P5 AD's already called him showing support for possible H&H's.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Just look at UMass, a fellow Independent school to get a dose of reality of what to expect. They play one major G5 school (us) and BYU. The other home games? Coastal Carolina, Liberty, Akron, S. Illinois. That's their home schedule. Rutgers and.Northwestern are their only P5 games and both away.

2020 is even worse Don't Look!

But keep the pipe dream alive! I wouldn't be shocked if some of those H and H back out since we no longer will count towards the P5. I know it's not been stated but there's no shot that status stays

Reaction Score
Based on facts alone, another ridiculous post. UVA, puke, & smu with a minimal following particularly in the northeast have each played at The Rent. In hopes of winning a first game and gaining revenge after 2 losses against the Huskies, Puke just signed a 1-1 H-H with UConn. None of those schools command playing in NY.

Based on a series of foolish posts, you must be trolling. Not very well, but trolling. Thanks for the comic relief.
Have any of these schools agreed to play an independent UConn FB team. NO. They agreed to play an AAC member. It not would surprise me with BB fans destroying the FB team, Duke will cancel their UConn series unless UConn does something special -- like becoming a respected football program in NYC region.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I think we can do better than UMASS, but the reality is we've got three truly local, attractive P5 opponents...BS College, Syracuse and Rutgers. That's it. Unless we can pull off a continuing, rotating H&H series with all three of them, our home schedules will appear relatively bleak.

Venturing a little further away, I think Penn State might be possible, if we get down on our hands and knees doing some serious begging, as a payday game, or in a possible full scale dream scenario, get them to play us at the Meadowlands as a home game for us the year after our beatdown in State College. They do have a huge following in the NYC metro region, so it's a game those folks can get to, who most likely don't get much chance to see games in SC.

Then we have Maryland. That could be a good possibility for a home & home, perhaps with Edsall's former ties being an added plus? It would be tremendous if we could work them in to a standard rotation with Syracuse, BS College and Rutgers.

Thats about it for reasonably close P5's. We've got to work those really hard.

Then there are the lower tier G5's. Not much there except for Buffalo, Army and Temple. They'll play us home & home anytime it can fit. Temple will hopefully not much care about our AAC departure and we can get something going with them on home & homes.

The rest of the MAC has always been a good source for fill in opponents on the schedule, all H&H.

If through some miracle we can get all of those on a rotational H&H schedule (except Penn State which we'll be lucky to get once or twice every ten years), then we'd have a good base of three or possibly four home games each season against the only available P5 and G5 locals. Those are all fairly attractive home opponents. We had a particularly good rivalry going with Rutgers in the old Big East and I think it would be nice for both schools to rekindle that again.

Then there's the rest of the country. Any of the more northern ACC teams are always good. Virginia, Virginia Tech, Duke we've already got, Wake Forest, UNC, NC State we've already got. We'll have to work that hard and keep a rotational schedule with at least one or two series a year with that group.

Vanderbilt has done a couple series with us in the past and would be likely to agree to do one or more again. As for the rest of the SEC, that's more likely fertile grounds for payday games. That's also true for the rest of the ACC further south.

Big Ten? We're already going with Illinois, Indiana and Purdue. We don't know if we're going to retain our pseudo P5 status with them or not. If so, continue trying to get H&H with Indiana, Illinois, Purdue and possibly Northwestern. It's unlikely we will get anything other
than payday games from the rest of the Big Ten.

Unfortunately not all of the above will work out, so the fallback is going to have to involve the handful of other Independents. If BYU doesn't join the AAC as our replacement, they'll do H&H with us because they like coming to New England so their Mormon base here can see them in person. Obviously ND would be the real elephant if we could get them to do a H&H with our home game at the Meadowlands. Yes, that's essentially two home games for them because of the crowds, but it's also double payday games for us. Two hooks here: (1) they want to avenge that lone loss to us, and (2) as former old BE rivals, and considering the current women's BB rivalry, they'd like to get back at us for the multiple BB beatdowns we've administered to them over these many years. I think we can get that done sometime. It would be absolutely huge for us and should be priority No. 1.

Then we obviously have UMASS which is about to become our No. 1 guranteed rivalry, every year for sure. Next closest is Liberty, which wouldn't be that bad if it had to become a yearly H&H.

New Mexico State would obviously be our last resort for H&H with Independents, but unfortunately we may end up seeing them a few times to fill in gaps.

Other attractive teams would include Ap State, Old Dominion, James Madison, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Maine, Holy Cross, Stony Brook, Albany, Richmond, Delaware, Lehigh, Lafayette, Bucknell, Colgate, any of the Ivy League schools, but most notably Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Brown and Columbia.

Maybe least likely for attractive home games, but use as a last resort for filler would be C-USA, Sun Belt, Southern, and Ohio Valley Conferences. It might be fun to bring Skip Holtz back home (born in Wllimantic) for a H&H with LA Tech.

As for the rest of the country, we should always be on the lookout for payday games anywhere. Maybe West Virginia and Pitt would do something on H&H, but it would probably be tough to get. Iowa would be a huge get if Kirk Ferentz can help us out. The rest of the B12 and even PAC12 for paydays. That's about all there is that I can think of. May have missed a few obvious ones. All we're left with now is to hope and pray that enough darts can hit their targets.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Reason #1) Because BYU doesn't have 22 or 23 National Championships in major college sports under it's belt.

Reason #2) Because BYU can't say if you play us in football we'll play you in men's or women's basketball in an OOC game at MSG. Well maybe they could but who would care.

Reason #3) The only leverage BYU might have is free lift tickets, hunting and trout fishing in the Wasatch, and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

Reason #4) For BYU to schedule a H&H with anybody in P5 is harder than flying to the moon. Provo is hard to get to, it's not like it's an easy bus ride from New Jersey or Massachusetts to Storrs. It's hundreds if not thousands of miles away from anywhere AND it's almost 5000 ft in elevation. They are good in football so they do get some teams to come play them but it's a difficult sell.

While I don’t have much issue with your first 3 reasons, your reason #4 isn’t exactly correct. Many fairly quick direct flights to SLC Intl, and Provo is only a straight shot ~45min highway drive from SLC.

Reaction Score

Since 2000 BYU has had 4 losing seasons. They are not a newcomer to
FB and do not hang their name recognition on any sport other than FB. They are an easier sell than Uconn or UMass as an away game for fans.

And with 20 Bg East games, how many big OOC BB games are you selling for 1 home FB game?

Reaction Score
Then I guess you don't like Shizzles Big Ten list either, period. Yeah, maybe a little optimistic but it's a good post by a good fan. I just threw Iowa into that mix because of Ferentz's ties to Uconn. Shizzle lists several Big Ten teams, and I guess you don't believe Benedict either saying that several P5 AD's already called him showing support for possible H&H's.
Until they are signed and played, they are as real as the Tennessee series. P5 home and homes are not going to happen in my opinion. Best case, 2 for 1 with some of the lower leVel P5 schools that have done 1 and 1 in the past. Maybe you luck out and the year they visit, they have that once every 10 year good season that draws a fuller house at the Rent and Uconn wins. Because that is what will be needed to have national relevance.

Reaction Score
While I don’t have much issue with your first 3 reasons, your reason #4 isn’t exactly correct. Many fairly quick direct flights to SLC Intl, and Provo is only a straight shot ~45min highway drive from SLC.
How exactly is it not correct? You don't think some opposing schools might think they possibly could be at a conditioning disadvantage in the 4th quarter playing BYU at 5000 feet? Sure there are many quick direct flights but flying 100 people and their team equipment, many hundreds or a couple thousand miles is very expensive versus a bus ride from Syracuse, Boston, New Jersey, or Philly to Storrs.

Reaction Score
FB and do not hang their name recognition on any sport other than FB. They are an easier sell than Uconn or UMass as an away game for fans.

And with 20 Bg East games, how many big OOC BB games are you selling for 1 home FB game?
Well good luck getting Maryland, BC, Syracuse, Rutgers, Cincinnati, Temple, Pitt, or Penn State flying thousands of miles to play them 5000 ft up in elevation every other year. Also you conveniently left out the fact that BYU has been an independent for only the past 7 years while touting their record going back 19 years when they played in the Mountain West.

Reaction Score

Just ask yourself how many ooc games UConn will have in men's and women's basketball, Field Hockey (which has three NC's in recent years), and men's and women's soccer, once they join the BE? All those sports can be used as leverage in helping to schedule a football game with a P5. Yes, an easier sell than UMass but not UCONN when you add the leverage of other sports and the difficulty and expense at getting to and playing in Provo versus Storrs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Until they are signed and played, they are as real as the Tennessee series. P5 home and homes are not going to happen in my opinion. Best case, 2 for 1 with some of the lower leVel P5 schools that have done 1 and 1 in the past. Maybe you luck out and the year they visit, they have that once every 10 year good season that draws a fuller house at the Rent and Uconn wins. Because that is what will be needed to have national relevance.
Benedict just said that several AD's called him saying they would support Uconns move to independent status, and they would come and play us. Are you calling him a liar?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Two things I'd love to see happen as an independent for us.

1) A H/H with Army on a regular basis. Anyone who hasn't been to West Point for a football game is missing out on an experience every college football fan should have. Beside the pagentry of the pregame, the stadium overlooks the Hudson and is beautiful. I'd take an away game there ever few years in a heartbeat.

2) An away pay game at Penn St. This is for selfish reasons. I was born and raised to have Penn State blue and white run through my veins, and then I went to UConn :D. This would give me a great opportunity to get all my family and cousins together who have scattered across the country. Plus, State College on game day can't be beat. There's no shot we'd get a return game and I'm good with that. To play an away game in an awesome college town, get paid for it, and be able to have fans drive there, is a win in my book.

Reaction Score
Benedict just said that several AD's called him saying they would support Uconns move to independent status, and they would come and play us. Are you calling him a liar?

And they are teams that UConn fans would be "excited" to see. That tells me they weren't all low-level G5s.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
You are looking at this the wrong way. Saying independence isn't much worse than the current AAC situation when you figure it's impact on the entire AD is a very long way from saying FB will thrive.

Scheduling 2 P5 games a year is a chasm away from scheduling 8. Which is what OP is describing. 3 P5's, 5 G5's, 2 IND and 2 FCS is about as good as it's going to get. And those G5's won't be AAC for a while.

That would put the home slate most years as 1 P5, 2 G5, 1 IND, and 2 FCS. Which is close to but a bit worse than we have now.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
You are looking at this the wrong way. Saying independence isn't much worse than the current AAC situation when you figure it's impact on the entire AD is a very long way from saying FB will thrive.

Scheduling 2 P5 games a year is a chasm away from scheduling 8. Which is what OP is describing. 3 P5's, 5 G5's, 2 IND and 2 FCS is about as good as it's going to get. And those G5's won't be AAC for a while

That would put the home slate most years as 1 P5, 2 G5, 1 IND, and 2 FCS. Which is close to but a bit worse than we have now.
That’s probably right. The big question is, can Fox help us tilt us more P5 games and just how bitter are schools like Temple and Cincy? I think fellow ADs know how vulnerable the AAC to losing two teams when the next round of CRA takes place. If those two teams are UCF and UH like many think, Cincy and Temple might be better off coming back to our model.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Scheduling 2 P5 games a year is a chasm away from scheduling 8. Which is what OP is describing. 3 P5's, 5 G5's, 2 IND and 2 FCS is about as good as it's going to get. And those G5's won't be AAC for a while.

I think the "hard feelings" from the AAC are being way overplayed by the media and message boards. Aresco is butt hurt, but we know he doesn't speak for his members. If you look at the history of realignment, the only times were there were hard feelings post departure are A) where there were hard feelings pre-departure (the Big 12 departures), or B) where the departing teams did it in such a way as to cause maximum damage to the conference they were leaving (Miami and BCU). There are no hard feelings between USF, Cincinnati, and UConn vs. West Virginia, Pitt, Syracuse and Rutgers, or the C-7. I don't think we will have a problem scheduling AAC teams.

Most schools outside the SEC and a few Big 12 and Big 10 schools are having attendance issues. UConn will be an attractive payday opponent, and giving up a home game is not the worst thing in the world for a team drawing in the low 30k attendance.

If we only target 5-6 home games, we should get 4 P5, 5 G5, 2 IND, 1 FCS.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom