Why football might actually be the biggest winner. | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Why football might actually be the biggest winner.

Is this realistic (at least in 2-3 years when we get our feet under us)?

• Total voters

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
While the AAC wasn't a great place to be, that is not what caused football to wither.

The "Administration" that you mention, in its various versions of the last years, has caused the state we are in with the poor hiring of football coaches, and the lack of investment for the rest of the football coaching staff.

The AAC was the right choice when we lost our Big East home. We had a football footprint to manage, and there were probably less options for football and independence at that time... and we wanted to make sure we kept our payouts for the post season play.

As a UConn fan who invests most of my energy in football, I agree this move back to the Big East is the right move for the university. I am saddened because I see a logical conclusion for where this can lead.

The move to the AAC was driven in a large part to collect the Big East exit fees from the C-7, West Virginia, Louisville, et al. I believe our share of that was around $30 million, and I get the desire to cash those checks. Those dried up around 2016, and we should left the AAC at that point. The whole athletic program would be 3 years closer to where it belongs if we had.

Reaction Score
If you're not a fan then why are you wasting your time on a UConn fan board every night?
To marvel at the perfect spellers.

You can be a fan and still have an opinion that this is not anywhere near a win for Uconn FB.

Reaction Score
Anyone claiming this move will be good for football is being delusional and cannot accept the reality of what will soon follow. UConn football will wither away in the FBS wilderness as an independent. The administration has made their decision choosing basketball over football.
Your wrong they will be successful

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
No to Fenway Park. UMass and UConn would draw better at the Rent as it is closer to both schools. Home and home is better than Fenway Park.

Not only that, but baseball stadiums in general, and Fenway in particular, are horrible places to watch football games. There are almost no seats at Fenway along one entire sideline.

Reaction Score
You actually haven't answered it. Because the phrase is nonsensical and thus there is no answer.

Most know exactly what "it is what it is" means...and I defined what I meant by it in the next phrase.

You can play the passive aggressive game of..."gee, I don;t understand" when we both know you know exactly what was meant..

"It is what it is...the administration made a choice that gives the premier sport the best chance to be elite."

Difficult for you to interpret?

Reaction Score
Not only that, but baseball stadiums in general, and Fenway in particular, are horrible places to watch football games. There are almost no seats at Fenway along one entire sideline.
I think this could be a good long term rivalry. UConn-UMass was a good 1aa rivalry for many years. In the 70s there were Beat UMass and Beat UConn signs hanging from buildings on the campuses and while not sellouts it was the biggest draw and often had 9-10,000 crowds. Playing in Fenway would make it an event and get people’s attention. I get all the reasons Fenway is bad for football. But it is good for events. And Foxborough is too big.

Reaction Score
I think this could be a good long term rivalry. UConn-UMass was a good 1aa rivalry for many years. In the 70s there were Beat UMass and Beat UConn signs hanging from buildings on the campuses and while not sellouts it was the biggest draw and often had 9-10,000 crowds. Playing in Fenway would make it an event and get people’s attention. I get all the reasons Fenway is bad for football. But it is good for events. And Foxborough is too big.
Hopefully we can make it our Thanksgiving game. Our biggest FBS rivalries in the past have been Rutgers, BC, and Syracuse. Hopefully we can rekindle those.

Reaction Score
Hopefully we can make it our Thanksgiving game. Our biggest FBS rivalries in the past have been Rutgers, BC, and Syracuse. Hopefully we can rekindle those.

If Edsall does nothing else for the duration of his term here, I hope he can at least get us comfortably back in front of UMass; and I think he will.

Reaction Score
If Edsall does nothing else for the duration of his term here, I hope he can at least get us comfortably back in front of UMass; and I think he will.

I mean, we almost beat them last year with the historically worst team in FBS history. Shouldn't be too hard...hopefully...

Reaction Score
How does that benefit Iowa? Why would they give an away game to independent Uconn? If they would not do it when Uconn was in a conference, they will not do it now.

You should ask that about every possible home and home idea out there against a P5 team. How does that away game benefit them? Who can they schedule at home that does not want that return game? Is a game against independent Uconn in a recruiting dead zone for most programs worth more than a game against other G5 or independent programs that have no desire for a return game or even a 2 for 1 scenario?
2019 Football Recruits in the "Dead Zone", as you so eloquently put it. No Player names, just State Ranking and destination.
#1,5,6 Michigan
#2 Clemson
#3,4 Penn St
#7,8,16 BC
#9,12 Stanford
#11 Arizona
#18 Notre Dame
UMass(#15) had a higher rated recruit than we did. We checked in at #17.
And by the way, #11 for 2020 got poached by Iowa

Reaction Score
The UMass-UConn rivalry should absolutely be reignited, just have UMass make Fenway the home stadium for every game we play them instead of McGuirk. This pageantry will appeal to the casual fan.

Having that on every other Thanksgiving might interest some eyes even more. And give both programs an additional incentive to grow. This may be a rivalry to sustain long term.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The State of Connecticut produced three 4 star recruits in 2019 (247)...

Massachusetts produced none.

Massachusetts, Maine, Vermont, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Hampshire, the New England states together....produced as many 4 star kids as the City of Lakeland.

Out of New England...it was Connecticut that had the majority of rated recruits.

Reaction Score
2019 Football Recruits in the "Dead Zone", as you so eloquently put it. No Player names, just State Ranking and destination.
#1,5,6 Michigan
#2 Clemson
#3,4 Penn St
#7,8,16 BC
#9,12 Stanford
#11 Arizona
#18 Notre Dame
UMass(#15) had a higher rated recruit than we did. We checked in at #17.
And by the way, #11 for 2020 got poached by Iowa
The schools the players committed to are some of the ones people want to play. This shows they already get the best in state players, so why is playing Uconn to their benefit in recruiting?

Reaction Score
God please no Fenway. Why does everyone want a game there??? Keep it it at each team's home field. Ugh

Agreed. Football played in baseball stadiums is a hot garbage experience for the fans who actually attend. At this point the idea been done to death, so how much buzz would a game in Fenway Park featuring Umass actually generate? Play H&H, tailgate properly, and see if a nice rivalry can develop the right way. If you want to see Fenway go to a Sox Game.

Reaction Score
Let's all guess Penn St

Correct. PSU is my Alma Mater and obviously the school I follow closely. That said I do consider myself a fan of Husky Football going back to when the team started playing in the Big East. I enjoyed watching UCONN regularly serving comeuppance to old Eastern Foes like Pitt, Cuse, and RU. I also had the pleasure of knowing the family of a former player which deepened my support for the program.

As rough as the last few seasons have been I haven't missed many games live or on my DVR. Admittedly I wasn't crazy about RE2.0 but I understood the economics at play in his hiring. I felt the same way about the decision to leave The AAC, although as more of the financials of that deal were released I undersood the decision your AD made there as well.

I'm hopeful there is still a viable future for Husky Football, but I'd be lying if I didn't say that I was deeply concerned.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Football played in baseball stadiums is a hot garbage experience for the fans who actually attend. At this point the idea been done to death, so how much buzz would a game in Fenway Park featuring Umass actually generate? Play H&H, tailgate properly, and see if a nice rivalry can develop the right way. If you want to see Fenway go to a Sox Game.

You just don't understand, man! It'll get people's attention, or something.

Reaction Score
The UMass-UConn rivalry should absolutely be reignited, just have UMass make Fenway the home stadium for every game we play them instead of McGuirk. This pageantry will appeal to the casual fan.

Having that on every other Thanksgiving might interest some eyes even more. And give both programs an additional incentive to grow. This may be a rivalry to sustain long term.
I love it, and BC has to stand by and watch UMass play UConn right in their back yard every year.

Reaction Score
If you are G5, you aint P5, no matter your ranking in the G5. You are just a lowly pawn enabling the valuable pieces to rake in the big $$$$. It's a flawed system and should be struck down. I'm stoked that UConn is the first program to turn its back on the status quo. I think this will be a significant catalyst.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom