Why does no one talk about Rudy Gay? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why does no one talk about Rudy Gay?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Simple. Rudy was here only 2 years. The only comparison there is Caron. Caron carried UConn during down seasons as an underrated recruit, Rudy was part of 2 of the 3 worst UConn NCAA losses as a top 3 recruit in country, nor did he put up numbers commiserate with his talent.

Great kid and great player. Just was simply not transcendent in his time here.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Simple. Rudy was here only 2 years. The only comparison there is Caron. Caron carried UConn during down seasons as an underrated recruit, Rudy was part of 2 of the 3 worst UConn NCAA losses as a top 3 recruit in country, nor did he put up numbers commiserate with his talent.

Great kid and great player. Just was simply not transcendent in his time here.
'Rudy was here only 2 years. The only comparison there is Caron'
only? what aboot james?
rudy, 14/6/2 assists per. 38% on 3s, 9 winshares. ncaa all region, consensus AA, lots of hardware. 8th pick.
james, 15/5/2 assists. 32% on 3s, 5 winshares. all aac, all big east. 11th pick.
caron, 18/8/3, 36% on 3s, 9 winshares. all big east, big east tourney mvp. 10th pick.

the highlighted portions are code for doing it when it really matters.
clearly, rudy was pretty great here, and now his footprint in the nba career numbers for 'top 100' is impressive. thanks dude.

Reaction Score
The BY is a weird place. Rudy was a 2nd team All-America, 4-2 record in the NCAA’s, but still gets no love.
Rudy actually had a good game against George Mason. Just didn’t get the ball enough. Got to be Calhoun’s fault - LOL

August_West

Reaction Score
'Rudy was here only 2 years. The only comparison there is Caron'
only? what aboot james?
rudy, 14/6/2 assists per. 38% on 3s, 9 winshares. ncaa all region, consensus AA, lots of hardware. 8th pick.
james, 15/5/2 assists. 32% on 3s, 5 winshares. all aac, all big east. 11th pick.
caron, 18/8/3, 36% on 3s, 9 winshares. all big east, big east tourney mvp. 10th pick.

the highlighted portions are code for doing it when it really matters.
clearly, rudy was pretty great here, and now his footprint in the nba career numbers for 'top 100' is impressive. thanks dude.

Why not james? Winshares.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
pretty cool.

prolly our best dunker -ever, tho my man jerome certainly had some loud ones too.
and marcus, charlie, and rudy? sum kind of holy trinity right there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm sure the Foundation talks about him (with $167M of career earnings).

Reaction Score
He averaged over 20 points a game 4 times and over 19 ppg 9 times. He averaged over 17 ppg in 14 straight seasons. Outside of Ray Allen, I doubt any former Husky has been that productive offensively.
None of that has a single thing to do with him being an "elite scorer". Youre also moving the goal post by comparing his offensive production to other huskies. Your original comment was you claiming RG is an elite NBA scorer. Not hes the best scorer outside of Ray Uconn has had in the league. That being said youre entitled to your opinion so ok.

Reaction Score
None of that has a single thing to do with him being an "elite scorer". Youre also moving the goal post by comparing his offensive production to other huskies. Your original comment was you claiming RG is an elite NBA scorer. Not hes the best scorer outside of Ray Uconn has had in the league. That being said youre entitled to your opinion so ok.
I think by establishing that he was the second most prolific scorer out of all the UConn players in the league shows he was elite in his peak years averaging 20 and 21 points per game with many other years over 17 ppg. More prolific in the NBA than college Superstar Rip Hamilton or lottery picks Emeka Okafor and Ben Gordon. And despite that, no playoff success at all.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I think by establishing that he was the second most prolific scorer out of all the UConn players in the league shows he was elite in his peak years averaging 20 and 21 points per game with many other years over 17 ppg. More prolific in the NBA than college Superstar Rip Hamilton or lottery picks Emeka Okafor and Ben Gordon. And despite that, no playoff success at all.
Who cares what he did in NBA? Although it's noteworthy to point out in pretty much any sport, "elite" players don't have 0x All-Star appearances.

Reaction Score
who?

Where Are They No Fans GIF by Hashtag United Official

August_West

Reaction Score
I mean we don’t say why does no one talk about Charlie Villanueva either

Reaction Score
I mean we don’t say why does no one talk about Charlie Villanueva either
When his name gets brought up here its like ehh whatever, when its Rudy I feel it brings some anger out of people.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Hey!
'I think by establishing that he was the second most prolific scorer out of all the UConn players in the league shows he was elite...'

fail.

rayray is 23, mr robinson is 53 at 19591, and rudy is 93 at 17295.

not on my watch, bub.

Reaction Score
Hey!
'I think by establishing that he was the second most prolific scorer out of all the UConn players in the league shows he was elite...'

fail.

not on my watch, bub.
Thank you sir. I also got a good laugh out of "not on my watch, bub"

Reaction Score
Hey!

fail.

not on my watch, bub.
Rudy has averaged 16.3 points over his NBA career, Cliff averaged 14.2 but played 3 more seasons. Nevertheless, my point stands that while Rudy has scored a ton of points in the NBA, he hasn't had any playoff success.

To be in the top 100 all time point scorers out of THOUSANDS of NBA players absolutely says that he was an elite scorer during his peak years, otherwise his point total wouldn't be in the top 100.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hey!

fail.

not on my watch, bub.
Rudy averaged over 19 points a game 9 times, Cliff only did it 4 times. Cliff played so many more games due to 18 seasons in the league.

Look at it another way. If Rudy has just one more decent season, he could very well pass Magic Johnson in career points. Perhaps Chris Mullin as well. Rudy would never amassed those type of totals if he wasn't a pretty elite scorer in his prime.

That was my basic premise...despite being a top 100 scorer in NBA history, he has had no playoff success. Statistically improbable perhaps, but true.

Reaction Score
Just behind Ray for our leader in total career earnings... Has pulled in 166 million.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
That was my basic premise...despite being a top 100 scorer in NBA history, he has had no playoff success. Statistically improbable perhaps, but true.
191st in PPG. No all star appearances, no playoff success.

His MLB equivalent would be Todd Zeile.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
As an NBA player he was never on a great team.
But there was that stretch where teams got better upon Rudy leaving. That his teams barely ever made the playoffs is partly due to Rudy playing for them. But Rudy always got paid, that's his legacy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom