Why does no one talk about Rudy Gay? | The Boneyard

Why does no one talk about Rudy Gay?

Reaction Score
35 and still playing at a high level for a contender and nobody cares. Is it because he didn’t win a National championship and because his last game against that team that shall remain nameless.

I’m just curious on everyone’s thoughts. I understand he’s so talented everyone expected Rudy to be a superstar.

Reaction Score
I think maybe becasuse Rudy has played in Western conference for awhile so don't see him much....had some great years in Memphis for sure.

After his bad knee injury 5 or 6 years ago has become mostly a part time player on Spurs & now Jazz...can still be effective though.

Reaction Score
35 and still playing at a high level for a contender and nobody cares. Is it because he didn’t win a National championship and because his last game against that team that shall remain nameless.

I’m just curious on everyone’s thoughts. I understand he’s so talented everyone expected Rudy to be a superstar.
My Rudy Gay opinion
If God decided to create the perfect basketball player and provide them the skills to succeed in that sport, if Rudy was not the finished product he was close enough.
That being said other people besides me noticed and the expectations for his success where almost beyond what was achievable except by a select few. So coming up short he was forever unjustly tagged with the reputation of under achiever. However when you rationally view his accomplishments he was a pretty elite. Offensive player.

Reaction Score
In 15 NBA seasons, he's never been on a team that won a playoff series.

So he just hasn't really been relevant to the broader NBA discussion.

That and we all try to collectively forget about '06.
I actually think many UConn fans start with trying to forget about ‘05 first… and that’s where the Rudy indifference starts. That team clawed back from 10 down with four minutes left against NC State, only to see Julius Hodge beat Rudy off the dribble five seconds left. We all know how that ended. It wasn’t good and Rudy was the easiest scapegoat. The ‘06 ending and his short-ish stay in Storrs I think only compounded the indifference.

Rudy has actually had a pretty remarkable NBA career, despite injuries. He also happens to bleed blue. He just isn’t as loud about it as some of our other guys. Has the Huskies court at his (somewhat gaudy) house and he’s shown up to NBA games in UConn apparel. He is a pretty quiet and private guy, which means he flies under most fans’ radars in the world we live in today.

Reaction Score
In 15 NBA seasons, he's never been on a team that won a playoff series.

So he just hasn't really been relevant to the broader NBA discussion.

That and we all try to collectively forget about '06.
Amazing that despite being a pretty elite scorer in his prime, Gay has only played in 19 playoff games total in 15 seasons. Clifford Ralph Robinson played in 141 playoff games over his 18 year career.

Reaction Score
Gif Yes Yes Yes GIFs | Tenor

Reaction Score
When I saw Rudy stepping onto the court for the first time I said this guy is a finished product how is he not in the NBA right now(at the time), I thought I was watching the next NBA superstar, yes unfair expectations but it was very hard not to think that way, and NBA fans thought the same thing.

Maybe because Rudy was an NBA ready player his first UConn game, you never really felt that connection with him, that you would with most college players who need time to develop. Glad I’m not a UK fan imagine feeling the way you felt about Rudy with 5 guys every year.

Glad to see him being in winning environments now after the Achilles injury. Feel he has reinvented himself a bit. Hopefully he keeps latching onto title contenders.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

Floridians can't talk about him. Sad times.

Reaction Score
Amazing that despite being a pretty elite scorer in his prime, Gay has only played in 19 playoff games total in 15 seasons. Clifford Ralph Robinson played in 141 playoff games over his 18 year career.
Elite scorer? He averaged 18ppg over the first 10 years of his career. That is not an "elite scorer" by NBA standards. I liked RG but ive seen very few guys do so little with so much. One of the more forgettable star players we`ve had here.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
All the skill and talent but one of the main things Calhoun would hammer to him is being more aggressive. His heart and motor never seemed to click.

Now if Andre Jackson can develop some of the skill Rudy Gad we could have something. Kid has a nonstop motor.

Reaction Score
Elite scorer? He averaged 18ppg over the first 10 years of his career. That is not an "elite scorer" by NBA standards. I liked RG but ive seen very few guys do so little with so much. One of the more forgettable star players we`ve had here.
He averaged over 20 points a game 4 times and over 19 ppg 9 times. He averaged over 17 ppg in 14 straight seasons. Outside of Ray Allen, I doubt any former Husky has been that productive offensively.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom