Why does no one talk about Rudy Gay? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Why does no one talk about Rudy Gay?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Rudy had/has talent
He had some highlight film stuff and some impressive numbers at UConn
I think because he rarely spoke, didn't hold a high profile and kind of snuck into UConn last minute plays into his non persona career at UConn as well as the NBA. He's not one to enter a talent show to show his stuff
Can't argue his longevity in the league - that's not an easy thing to do - maybe he'll eclipse Uncle Cliffy

Reaction Score
191st in PPG. No all star appearances, no playoff success.

His MLB equivalent would be Todd Zeile.
Ok, so of the 4374 players who have played in the NBA, Rudy is 191st in ppg. That's still pretty select company, top 5 percentile. And he is 96th in total points scored, again pretty select company. My point is despite all those buckets, he has never tasted playoff success.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
35 and still playing at a high level for a contender and nobody cares. Is it because he didn’t win a National championship and because his last game against that team that shall remain nameless.

I’m just curious on everyone’s thoughts. I understand he’s so talented everyone expected Rudy to be a superstar.
Ya happy, now??

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF by The Taboo Group

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Ok, so of the 4374 players who have played in the NBA, Rudy is 191st in ppg. That's still pretty select company, top 5 percentile. And he is 96th in total points scored, again pretty select company. My point is despite all those buckets, he has never tasted playoff success.
Todd Zeile is also in top 5 percentile in all-time MLB hits, but no all-star appearances. Thus the comparison.

(Zeile did get to the postseason 4 times, including a WS with the Mets, and had a good stat line)

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Todd Zeile is also in top 5 percentile in all-time MLB hits, but no all-star appearances. Thus the comparison.

(Zeile did get to the postseason 4 times, including a WS with the Mets, and had a good stat line)

starwars-obi-wan.gif

Reaction Score
Rudy and Charlie V are in the same category of enormously talented and hyped recruits who were quite good for us. But they didn't get the "great" vibe. You could easily make the argument that they are the two most purely talented players we've had in that they could do absolutely everything. My lasting memory of Rudy, despite some great accolades, is that he was too passive and didn't produce what he was capable of.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Rudy and Charlie V are in the same category of enormously talented and hyped recruits who were quite good for us. But they didn't get the "great" vibe. You could easily make the argument that they are the two most purely talented players we've had in that they could do absolutely everything. My lasting memory of Rudy, despite some great accolades, is that he was too passive and didn't produce what he was capable of.
I always felt that while he put up numbers and did have a solid two year career for us, Rudy got to a point where he was playing at 75% effort so as not to get injured since he knew he was entering the draft.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with any of these Rudy takes but it seems worth pointing out that he was - despite being underwhelming in many peoples' eyes - the Sporting News' national freshman of the year and an NABC first team All-American and one of four finalists for the Naismith Award as a sophomore.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
He doesn't have any signature games or moments at UConn.

Sandwiched between the title team and George Mason was hugely disappointing 2005 team as well.

Not to mention getting bumped in the big east tournament early in both season by Syracuse.

Great player, great NBA career, but just not an all too memorable uconn career.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The guys that are truly revered here (with a couple of exceptions) are the guys who stepped up. We've had our share of guys who were great running mates but went Silvio when it was their turn.

Reaction Score
the rudy gay curse is true. i don't want him on the sixers

Reaction Score
Elite scorer? He averaged 18ppg over the first 10 years of his career. That is not an "elite scorer" by NBA standards. I liked RG but ive seen very few guys do so little with so much. One of the more forgettable star players we`ve had here.
How many UConn guys have averaged in excess of 18 pts a game for 10 years?
Not many.
Marginally Cliff, Rip , and of course Ray

Reaction Score
the rudy gay curse is true. i don't want him on the sixers
I had to rewatch this, Rudy mention at the 24 minute mark. Great guy, great teammate but facts are facts. A less glorified Melo.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Looking at guys who were drafted around his time, perimeter players with similar career VORPs

Luol Deng
Kyle Korver
Lou Williams
Trevor Ariza

Reaction Score
How many UConn guys have averaged in excess of 18 pts a game for 10 years?
Not many.
Marginally Cliff, Rip , and of course Ray
Correct. And that has absolutely nothing to do with the original point and counter points that were made. If youre going to comment at least know the point of the conversation.

Reaction Score
I remember coming out of halftime in a big game to start a second half with Raff doing the game. Raff says something to the effect that one criticism is Gay sometimes doesn't bring the intensity that you'd want. On cue walking out on the court the camera pans to him and he is yawning.

I will add I met him and AJ Price at the August Calhoun charity event at Mohegan Sun before their freshman year, and both guys couldn't have been nicer and more pumped to join the ranks of uconn.

I will also add that my recollection is that Gay neutralized Carmelo Anthony in Syracuse's best year. Especially at the HCC in my memory. Also had good games in Hawaii as I recall.

I may also still have the first couple minutes of the 2003 McD game with Villanueva starting with Lebron.

Reaction Score
I will also add that my recollection is that Gay neutralized Carmelo Anthony in Syracuse's best year. Especially at the HCC in my memory. Also had good games in Hawaii as I recall.

Well, considering 'Melo was at 'Cuse in 03 for one year and Rudy played from 05-06, I'd say your recollection is a bit off.

Haha. I think, as stated above by someone, Rudy never had that game that we think back upon. I mean all of our huge stars had at least one that we can think back and remember to justify their greatness. Donyell had the two 42's, Ray had the UCLA game, Rip had a Natty, Caron, Maryland, Ben and Emeka numerous moments during their runs, etc. I mean I remember a few Rudy dunks but other than that, he just was a very good player who always get off the underachiever vibe.

Reaction Score
Charlie V had a 49 pt game as a rookie which happened to be on the same day as our elite 8 game against that team.

Reaction Score
Not to sidetrack this thread but it's also incredible that the current NBA scoring leader is 37 years old and in his 19th season. I believe his current PPG is more than double the second highest scoring average by a 19 year vet.
My Goat

Reaction Score
Charlie V had a 49 pt game as a rookie which happened to be on the same day as our elite 8 game against that team.

I'd argue that Charlie was the single most talented all-around player we've ever had. He could shoot, was excellent in the post, when motivated was a great rebounder and shot blocker, and was probably our best passing big ever. There were moments where he was incredibly dominant.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom