Why does Louisville have to be in Fort Wayne? | The Boneyard

Why does Louisville have to be in Fort Wayne?

Reaction Score
On the game today Charlie Creme said Louisville will be sent to Fort Wayne as a 2 seed because they are close by and it's driveable. So we have no choice but to go to Portland.

I have no problem with Maryland getting the 1 there. But I just assumed seeing it keeps being repeated that Ville is so close that Fort Wayne was in southern Indiana near the Kentucky border. I google mapped it and It's actually in northern Indiana and Louisville is a 4 hour drive away :rolleyes:. Like what are they gonna bring? Thousands of fans? I'd argue the UConn name would put more fannies in the seats with closer Northwestern or Kentucky as the 3-4.

Whatever. It's just weird that it has to be so "set in stone". It's not like an Albany-Storrs or Eugene-Portland or Waco-Dallas situation. I think a Maryland-UConn-Northwestern-Kentucky top 4 would draw more in Fort Wayne than a Maryland-Louisville-whatever-whatever. UConn will have no one to blame if they are in Portland or Dallas but we are No. 5 in the RPI and the Ville didn't even make their title game in a down ACC. I guess nothing to see here! Move along?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
On the game today Charlie Creme said Louisville will be sent to Fort Wayne as a 2 seed because they are close by and it's driveable. So we have no choice but to go to Portland.

I have no problem with Maryland getting the 1 there. But I just assumed seeing it keeps being repeated that Ville is so close that Fort Wayne was in southern Indiana near the Kentucky border. I google mapped it and It's actually in northern Indiana and Louisville is a 4 hour drive away :rolleyes:. Like what are they gonna bring? Thousands of fans? I'd argue the UConn name would put more fannies in the seats with closer Northwestern or Kentucky as the 3-4.

Whatever. It's just weird that it has to be so "set in stone". It's not like an Albany-Storrs or Eugene-Portland or Waco-Dallas situation. I think a Maryland-UConn-Northwestern-Kentucky top 4 would draw more in Fort Wayne than a Maryland-Louisville-whatever-whatever. UConn will have no one to blame if they are in Portland or Dallas but we are No. 5 in the RPI and the Ville didn't even make their title game in a down ACC. I guess nothing to see here! Move along?
It’s mainly a cost control issue for the NCAA. Trips under the 350-mile threshold are reimbursed as bus travel. Anything longer and they pay to fly the team out.

I’m sure it’s also seen as an attendance booster, but I believe cost control is the primary consideration.

Again we should remember this worked in UConn’s favor last year, when driveability dictated that UConn went to Albany instead of Portland.

Reaction Score
UConn should have the number five seed and go to Fort Wayne, particularly since the Pac12 will no longer have two teams as number two seeds. Ideally, NC State goes to Greenville, Stanford to wherever Baylor is, and Louisville gets on the plane out west. However, should and will are different animals with that committee. Having said that, Maryland is no easy mark.

Plebe

Reaction Score
UConn should have the number five seed and go to Fort Wayne, particularly since the Pac12 will no longer have two teams as number two seeds. Ideally, NC State goes to Greenville, Stanford to wherever Baylor is, and Louisville gets on the plane out west. However, should and will are different animals with that committee. Having said that, Maryland is no easy mark.
Why would Louisville have to go west? Who would go to FW if UConn were not a 2 seed?

Reaction Score
Why would Louisville have to go west? Who would go to FW if UConn were not a 2 seed?
Stanford can’t play in Portland. Teams of the same conference go elsewhere according to NCAA rules,

Plebe

Reaction Score
Stanford can’t play in Portland. Teams of the same conference go elsewhere according to NCAA rules,
True, but who would be the 2 seed in Fort Wayne in your scenario, if UConn is not a 2 seed?

Reaction Score
There used to be a principle that winning your conference tournament in a power conference was a big deal to the tournament seeding committee. If Louisville doesn't get dinged for not even making the finals of the ACC, we'll know that principle no longer holds.

Reaction Score
True, but who would be the 2 seed in Fort Wayne in your scenario, if UConn is not a 2 seed?
UConn will be a number two seed if they beat Cincy.

Plebe

Reaction Score
UConn will be a number two seed if they beat Cincy.
Oops, sorry, I had misunderstood your earlier post.

But again, this won't happen because there's almost no way that Louisville doesn't go to Fort Wayne for geographical reasons. And that's the case even if UConn is the overall #5 seed ahead of Louisville.

Reaction Score
Oops, sorry, I had misunderstood your earlier post.

But again, this won't happen because there's almost no way that Louisville doesn't go to Fort Wayne for geographical reasons. And that's the case even if UConn is the overall #5 seed ahead of Louisville.
I was arguing the should, not justifying the will.

Plebe

Reaction Score
There used to be a principle that winning your conference tournament in a power conference was a big deal to the tournament seeding committee. If Louisville doesn't get dinged for not even making the finals of the ACC, we'll know that principle no longer holds.
Louisville came in as the top #2 seed according to the reveal. They might get "dinged" but still not fall from the 2 line.

What happens in two or three games in the conference tournament is still only a small portion of a team's overall resume of 31 to 33 games.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Bottom line - you have to win 4 games to get to the Final Four. You have to win 6 games to be the national champion.

All the rest of who goes to what region is just noise.

Reaction Score
If real people were to make the brackets it would be pretty simple but its the NCAA so who knows.

#1 South Carolina clearly the overall #1 Seed playing in South Carolina.
#2 Oregon moves up to #1 Seed second best playing in Oregon.
#3 Baylor drops down one to the third #1 seed playing in Texas.
#4 Maryland get the last #1 seed and heads to Indiana.
#5 Connecticut is the best #2 seed and heads to Indiana.
#6 Louisville loss knocks them down a spot to the second #2 seed and heads to Texas.
#7 NC State moves up a bunch and nabs the third #2 seed and heads west to Oregon.
#8 Stanford drops another game but still ends up with the last #2 seed and travels cross country to play in South Carolina.

Reaction Score
Bottom line - you have to win 4 games to get to the Final Four. You have to win 6 games to be the national champion.

All the rest of who goes to what region is just noise.

What kinda stinks is that we should be the 5th best team in the country and we're arguably playing the best team in the country (if we both advance) in the E8 game. Not whining -- just kinda stinks.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
First 2 rounds only I believe.

Reaction Score
According to Charlie Creme, top-16 teams from the same conference are placed in different regions unless there are more than four.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Right now the PAC has 5 teams that could be seeded 4 or better so there is not a reason per the NCAA that 2 teams from the same conference cannot be in the same region.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
From the NCAA

Each of the first four teams selected from a conference shall be placed in different regions if they are seeded on the first four lines

Teams from the same conference shall not meet prior to the regional final if they played each other three or more times during the regular season and conference tournament.

Teams from the same conference shall not meet prior to the regional semifinals if they played each other twice during the regular season and conference tournament.

Teams from the same conference may play each other as early as the second round if they played no more than once during the regular season and conference tournament.

Any principle can be relaxed if two or more teams from the same conference are among the last four at-large seeded teams participating in the First Four.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
You know what? This is Charlies opinion. The NCAA will set the seedings and the brackets. We can wait and see. Its the NCAAs decision not Charlies. This thread is the well educated and WCBB's greatest most knowledgeable fans from all over the country giving their opinions vs Charlie. There is no better board then right here. I luv this board.

Reactions: mmt

Plebe

Reaction Score
From the NCAA

Each of the first four teams selected from a conference shall be placed in different regions if they are seeded on the first four lines

Teams from the same conference shall not meet prior to the regional final if they played each other three or more times during the regular season and conference tournament.

Teams from the same conference shall not meet prior to the regional semifinals if they played each other twice during the regular season and conference tournament.

Teams from the same conference may play each other as early as the second round if they played no more than once during the regular season and conference tournament.

Any principle can be relaxed if two or more teams from the same conference are among the last four at-large seeded teams participating in the First Four.
You appear to have taken this from the manual for the men's tournament.

The first two principles are the same for the women's tournament. The next two are slightly different:
  • The committee will attempt to keep conference teams from meeting until the regional final round.

• If the committee is unable to balance the bracket after exhausting all possible options, it has the flexibility to permit two teams from the same conference to meet each other after the first round.
The last principle you quoted, regarding "the First Four," obviously doesn't apply to the women's tournament.

Reaction Score
If real people were to make the brackets it would be pretty simple but its the NCAA so who knows.

#6 Louisville loss knocks them down a spot to the second #2 seed and heads to Texas.
#7 NC State moves up a bunch and nabs the third #2 seed and heads west to Oregon.
#8 Stanford drops another game but still ends up with the last #2 seed and travels cross country to play in South Carolina.

Louisville has a better resume than UCONN. Louisville is the number one “2” seed. Winning the AAC tournament has no weight. There are 3-4 ACC teams that would have mopped the floor against AAC teams as well. UCONN unfort has only a single win vs. a ranked opponent, they beat #15 DePaul. Louisville Beat #2 Oregon, #8 NCSU and #16 UK.

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score

No way is NC State moving ahead of Stanford. Stanford just beat Oregon State and UCLA, both of which are better wins than anyone NC State beat to win the ACC tournament. Stanford is not going to be punished for losing a team much better than anyone NC State had to even play. NC State beat two bubble teams and a 5/6 seed.

It's amazing how people are suddenly all up in arms about geography being a factor in the brackets. I didn't hear many people complaining all the years that UConn benefited from the geography game, including last year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom