Why does Louisville have to be in Fort Wayne? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why does Louisville have to be in Fort Wayne?

Reaction Score
Louisville has a better resume than UCONN. Louisville is the number one “2” seed. Winning the AAC tournament has no weight. There are 3-4 ACC teams that would have mopped the floor against AAC teams as well. UCONN unfort has only a single win vs. a ranked opponent, they beat #15 DePaul. Louisville Beat #2 Oregon, #8 NCSU and #16 UK.

This is a myth you and other are pointing to. The problem is with you and others you want to bury your head in the sand with bad losses and pretend they barley count. The fact is your Louisville team lost to sick basketball teams who have a near-zero chance of winning a ttile. It's one thing to lose once ot these type of teams-- twice not so god-- but THREE TIMES since February You can't pretend like that didn't happen.

SO I know of 3 places that rank in some analytical way: NCAA RPI, Massey and ELO. All three have UCONN ranked higher. They use numbers to calculate their ratings. That means bad losses count no matter how hard you don't want to include them on a resume. . .

Reaction Score
No way is NC State moving ahead of Stanford. Stanford just beat Oregon State and UCLA, both of which are better wins than anyone NC State beat to win the ACC tournament. Stanford is not going to be punished for losing a team much better than anyone NC State had to even play. NC State beat two bubble teams and a 5/6 seed.

It's amazing how people are suddenly all up in arms about geography being a factor in the brackets. I didn't hear many people complaining all the years that UConn benefited from the geography game, including last year.

I find it amazing that their isn't a more consensus acknowledgement that this year that UCONN should be 5th. Other years we should've been seeded Albany. etc too. Yet your post sure make it sounds like we never should have been sent there.

Louisville should not be ahead of UCONN. With that said-- we get ripped off one year - it stinks - but what can you do? Nothing. But it still doesn't make it right.

But I don't get why you are so up-in-arms? When you go to a UCONN game you have never booed a bad call that went against UCONN? And if you saw refs made a bad call that benefited UCONN, did you also boo that call? We're just acknowledging this year we should be 5th. Is that so wrong?

Reaction Score
Well, Louisville has never been “my” team, no association whatsoever. None. However, while most are scrambling on this board to find reasons why UCONN should be in Md’s bracket (I don’t blame Husky fans for not wanting to face S.C.,Oregon or Baylor again), the fact that Louisville actually showed they could beat one of those 3 also carries more weight than winning against a league of midgets all year. UCONN and Louisville had vastly different results versus Oregon. By the NCAA placing Louisville in Md’s bracket ahead of UCONN they are clearly stating Louisville had the better resume, which they do. It seems likely that this year, if UCONN had to play in the ACC as Lville did, UCONN would have another loss or two at the minimum.

Reaction Score
Well, Louisville has never been “my” team, no association whatsoever. None. However, while most are scrambling on this board to find reasons why UCONN should be in Md’s bracket (I don’t blame Husky fans for not wanting to face S.C.,Oregon or Baylor again), the fact that Louisville actually showed they could beat one of those 3 also carries more weight than winning against a league of midgets all year. UCONN and Louisville had vastly different results versus Oregon. By the NCAA placing Louisville in Md’s bracket ahead of UCONN they are clearly stating Louisville had the better resume, which they do. It seems likely that this year, if UCONN had to play in the ACC as Lville did, UCONN would have another loss or two at the minimum.

No point going further. The comment in bold you make not taking Geography into account when the NCAA makes seedings has me question what type of fan you are. It's common knowledge Geogrpahy counts. With that comment and not taking Geography into account -- I don't believe a thing you say. Swing your ax to grind somewhere else. Let's just put each other on ignore. Thanks.

Reaction Score
SC was the number 2 overall #1 seed in 2016 ahead of Notre Dame. Notre Dame got the Lexington region over SC because it was closer to ND. SC got sent to South Dakota. The next Year SC got sent to Stockton California as a #1 seed. It is just UConn time to feel screwed. I am sure you'll will be back in your cozy confines in the near future and there will be another team that get screwed.

Reaction Score
Welcome to the rubbish that is the NCAA. Is there anything this organization does well?
Yes Hoopsfan. They do a great job of punishing lower level programs while making sure they don't tread on any of the Power Five programs. If Kansas was in the AAC or Mountain West they would be stripped of scholarships, fines levied, and each member of the coaching staff would be required to write "I'm a cheater" on the blackboard one thousand times.

Reaction Score
I actually like the placement of UCONN in Portland. It potentially gives UCONN the opportunity of avenging the three losses this year: Oregon first; Baylor next; South Carolina in the championship game. Unfortunately, I think Oregon is the toughest matchup, as they beat us by 18 at UCONN.

But, I believe that UCONN is greatly improved and can challenge any of the Big Three.

Reaction Score
SC was the number 2 overall #1 seed in 2016 ahead of Notre Dame. Notre Dame got the Lexington region over SC because it was closer to ND. SC got sent to South Dakota. The next Year SC got sent to Stockton California as a #1 seed. It is just UConn time to feel screwed. I am sure you'll will be back in your cozy confines in the near future and there will be another team that get screwed.
True. We will be back in Albany next year.

Reaction Score
Now tell me why AP and Coaches polls put UConn ahead of Louisville?

No wonder you have nobody "like" your posts ....

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

I was waiting for a South Carolina fan to chime in on this.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

SC and ND were a virtual tie for #2 that year. Both teams were undefeated besides a loss to UCONN. Notre Dame had the higher RPI and played UCONN more competitively so my guess is they gave SC the 2 to make up for ND getting the closer regional. Baylor was locked in for Dallas regardless.

Reaction Score
Louisville is definitely "my" team and I'll now agree without question that UConn's overall record is better than ours. I argued that point on this board before the FL State loss, but yet again poor shooting took us down. We often have trouble scoring enough points, and our really good defense can't bail us out every time.

That said, I still expect us to go to Fort Wayne because of the "geography" thing. The selection committee has a pretty consistent track record in that area. But I'm not going to whine if we end up in Portland or Dallas (NC State seems to have a lock on Greenville). We had our shot at locking up a spot in Fort Wayne and didn't capitalize.

Finally...(and don't take this too personally) I watched the last two UConn AAC tourney games (only AAC games I've watched all year - watched UConn against Baylor, Oregon and South Carolina) and those two opponents were pretty bad. I'm pretty sure my sometimes-offensively-challenged Cardinals could have put 85 or 90 on them. I'll watch again tonight.

Reaction Score
SC and ND were a virtual tie for #2 that year. Both teams were undefeated besides a loss to UCONN. Notre Dame had the higher RPI and played UCONN more competitively so my guess is they gave SC the 2 to make up for ND getting the closer regional. Baylor was locked in for Dallas regardless.
Maybe SC was #2 because SC had 17 top 50 victories compared to Notre Dame 14. I am sure that weighed more than the score against UConn and 1 spot different in the RPI. It was also stated that SC was the #2 overall seed so it was not just given to SC. So your guess is wrong concerning that fact.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Maybe SC was #2 because SC had 17 top 50 victories compared to Notre Dame 14. I am sure that weighed more than the score against UConn and 1 spot different in the RPI. It was also stated that SC was the #2 overall seed so it was not just given to SC. So your guess is wrong concerning that fact.
Actually, if you go back and look at the team sheets from that year, they both had 15 top-50 wins. South Carolina had one more top-25 win than Notre Dame.

Creme had been under the assumption that whichever team was the higher seed would get the Lexington regional. The committee chair explicitly said that the 350-mile threshold was the deciding factor. Before that I didn't even know that was a thing.

Reaction Score
Actually, if you go back and look at the team sheets from that year, they both had 15 top-50 wins. South Carolina had one more top-25 win than Notre Dame.

Creme had been under the assumption that whichever team was the higher seed would get the Lexington regional. The committee chair explicitly said that the 350-mile threshold was the deciding factor. Before that I didn't even know that was a thing.

Warren Nolan was the one I saw so it maybe different from the official RPI. It showed SC with 17 and Notre Dame with 14 before the tournament. My point was not to argue that but to show that the distance thing overrides the order that you fall on the seed line pertaining to the UConn and Louisville debate.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Warren Nolan was the one I saw so it maybe different from the official RPI. It showed SC with 17 and Notre Dame with 14 before the tournament. My point was not to argue that but to show that the distance thing overrides the order that you fall on the seed line pertaining to the UConn and Louisville debate.
If you're looking at Warren Nolan today, it's reflecting results of the NCAA tournament as well.

You're absolutely right though. I remember how outraged the SC fans were to not get sent to Lexington, so maybe I guess it's understandable how people are reacting.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
If you're looking at Warren Nolan today, it's reflecting results of the NCAA tournament as well.

You're absolutely right though. I remember how outraged the SC fans were to not get sent to Lexington, so maybe I guess it's understandable how people are reacting.

Outraged they had to go to South Dakota.... then got thumped by Syracuse in the sweet 16 :oops:

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Per Charlie Creme (emphasis in original):

Two factors are in play; these are taken directly from the principles and procedures manual:
  • "Each of the first four teams selected from a conference shall be placed in different regions if they are seeded on the first four lines."
That means that Stanford, as a No. 2 seed, will not be placed with Oregon, the No. 1 seed in Portland. It also means that UCLA, whether a No. 2 or 3 seed, also can't go there, and both the Cardinal and Bruins have to take up residency in another region. That blocks the Huskies from going to Dallas or Greenville.
  • "By order of the S-curve, the committee will assign each team to a regional and first-/second-round site by taking into account distance from site, mode of transportation and accessibility by fans."
The history of recent selection committees indicates that they really want to stick with this. If teams and fans can drive to a site, that is where those teams are going to be placed. It enhances the experience for all involved. That has been the model.

With its ACC tournament title, NC State has supplanted UCLA as the final No. 2 seed. Given the second principle, however, the situation for UConn remains the same. The Wolfpack campus is within driving distance of the Greenville region and, thus, more accessible for fans. The same holds for Louisville in Fort Wayne. So with NC State in Greenville, Louisville in Fort Wayne and Stanford, by principle, not going to Portland, west is the only destination left for the Huskies.

THAT BEING SAID...

If this turns out to be the case, does it necessarily matter?

--- The last time UConn did not make the Final Four, Paige Bueckers was 5.5 years old (she will be 19 in October 2020).
--- The last time UConn did not make the Final Four, Breanna Stewart was 12.5 years old (she turns 26 this year).
--- The last time UConn did not make the Final Four, Maya Moore was 17 years old, a few months shy of 18 (she turns 31 this year).
--- In 2012-13, the last time before this year that UConn had at least three regular season/pre-NCAAT losses, the Huskies lost to Notre Dame in Storrs (73-72), South Bend (96-87 3OT), and Hartford (61-59) … before dominating Notre Dame in New Orleans in the Final Four (83-65). UConn's three losses were by a total of 12 points, whereas in the biggest game - the Final Four - the Huskies won by 18 points. UConn went on to win the national title, destroying Louisville in the title game by 33 points.
--- In the last 6+ years (six previous seasons and the seventh season to date), UConn is 252-9 (96.55 percent). If that is a grade, it is close to an A+ (using 97 as A+). If that is a GPA, it is somewhere between 4.0 and 4.3 (with 4.0 being an A and 4.3 being an A+). If I were a betting man and knew NOTHING else about women's basketball, I would feel pretty damn confident taking UConn versus the field in the NCAA Tournament.

ALSO...

As an aside, when a number of posters on message boards attack Charlie Creme for not "getting it right" when it comes to his Bracketology, remember this thread - and what the Committee does (and does not do), the rules by which it complies (and the ones by which it does not), etc. Creme is not the amazing Kreskin (nor is he expected to be), but his job is exponentially more difficult when having to balance how and when the Committee chooses not to follow particular rules, deciding which rule is more important than another, or to seed teams certain ways.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
I think it's all ESPN trying to manipulate the committee's decision on placements...

Reaction Score
All tournament seeds should be decided by selection committees not by a single person.
No single person should try to influence the selection committees' decision.
NCAA should make the rules straight and simple. Then everyone follows the rules no exceptions.

Reaction Score
Welcome to the rubbish that is the NCAA. Is there anything this organization does well?
Yes the only thing they do well is that they will do whatever it takes to screw Uconn ! Uconn has not lost to a team outside the top 25 or below the top 3. They make up excuses to screw Uconn!

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
It's posted on the other board, but Ivy League is canceling spectator tickets and is having the games with no fans. I'll honestly be stunned if the NCAA regionals 2.5 weeks, away actually happen with fans showing up which likely negates homecourt advantage. Two weeks ago Italy had about the same number of cases as the USA does today. Fast forward to now and the entire country of Italy is on lockdown.

Reaction Score
It's posted on the other board, but Ivy League is canceling spectator tickets and is having the games with no fans. I'll honestly be stunned if the NCAA regionals 2.5 weeks, away actually happen with fans showing up which likely negates homecourt advantage. Two weeks ago Italy had about the same number of cases as the USA does today. Fast forward to now and the entire country of Italy is on lockdown.
agree, will be surprising if in 3 weeks there are still spectators in stadiums

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom