Why do people get sensitive when critiquing Kevin Ollie? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why do people get sensitive when critiquing Kevin Ollie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
LOL at the concept of posters investing in each other as fans. I also think you kind of underestimate how difficult it is to win a national championship. This fan base really is spoiled rotten.
I think you over estimate the length of your neck. This has nothing to do with being spoiled; it's about observation with one's own eyes. KO had one year that happened to coincide with a NC from the POY and great experienced players. Sure he's recruiting well but he certainly isn't coaching well. Same type of loss and story, different game. Things just don't seem to change. But hey, at least he was up out of his seat tonight allegedly trying to make a difference.

Reaction Score
I feel an extreme sense of apathy towards the program and I'm getting sick of it. It's getting to the point where people are defending being a middle of the pack team in a garbage conference. This isn't UConn football where we're looking to grow, this is UConn basketball. We are the most or second most talented team in this conference, and we look like a mess. Whether it's Ollie or not people should be upset. We should be pissed off about missing the tournament last year and we should be pissed off about how we've played this year. Pretending that everything is ok isn't going to do anything. Heck, me complaining probably won't do anything, either, but at least I'm not going to personally accept this show that has been UConn basketball the last two years.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I feel an extreme sense of apathy towards the program and I'm getting sick of it. It's getting to the point where people are defending being a middle of the pack team in a garbage conference. This isn't UConn football where we're looking to grow, this is UConn basketball. We are the most or second most talented team in this conference, and we look like a mess. Whether it's Ollie or not people should be upset. We should be pissed off about missing the tournament last year and we should be pissed off about how we've played this year. Pretending that everything is ok isn't going to do anything. Heck, me complaining probably won't do anything, either, but at least I'm not going to personally accept this show that has been UConn basketball the last two years.

Are you a booster with the kind of influence that allows you to make personnel changes? If not, how is there anything any fan can do that shows "not personally accepting this"?

Reaction Score
Boy I nailed it right on the money, nice possessions there. Twice 2 shot clock violations, just 0 creativity and not even any effort to put the ball on the hands of purvis who has been the best player offensively the past 2 games. Sickening

Sarcasm?

Purvis was 5-17, 1-4, 1-3 ft

Reaction Score
We have won 4 NC's in 16 years, teams with real basketball heritage, KU, UCLA would love that.

Reaction Score
Are you a booster with the kind of influence that allows you to make personnel changes? If not, how is there anything any fan can do that shows "not personally accepting this"?

I'm not trotting around pretending everything is roses. There are too many people defending what has been an atrocious 1.5 seasons. There are people deluding themselves into thinking this is fine, and it's not. By "personally not accepting this" I mean I'm not going to pretend that everything is ok and that it will be better next year - because that's what we said last year.

Reaction Score
thanks for someone finally having the balls to say the truth, tired of this crap. They have been BLOWNOUT by Maryland, manhandled by a syracuse team who is not even that good and have had terrible loses to teams like tulsa and now cincy. Idc what anyone tells me, Cincinnati is a borderline bubble team, you don't let them come into your house and punk you like that!

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
I'm not trotting around pretending everything is roses. There are too many people defending what has been an atrocious 1.5 seasons. There are people deluding themselves into thinking this is fine, and it's not. By "personally not accepting this" I mean I'm not going to pretend that everything is ok and that it will be better next year - because that's what we said last year.

My point is, does it make a damn difference whether people say it's roses or the world is ending? I realize perspective is difficult after a loss like this, but 99% of the people here are just spectators and nothing more. Whatever they are, our attitudes affect nothing.

Reaction Score
There's a team called LSU that has what some people refer to as the "next Lebron" on their team and guess what ... that team isn't sniffing a championship. Nevermind Johnny Jones getting an opportunity to coach thru Donovan, Izzo and Calipari.
Apples to oranges ya dingus. Freshman inside type post player who passes well v. a senior PG who was experienced and could bail a team out more times than he couldn't with the ball in his hands > 50% of the time. Nice try.

Reaction Score
Same as JC (ahem, I mean Kemba, Emeka, & Rip) won 3 NCs. Duh.
Yes with a program that HE grew, nurtured, and established. You almost conclusively make my point for me. Another fail for you.

Reaction Score
My point is, does it make a damn difference whether people say it's roses or the world is ending? I realize perspective is difficult after a loss like this, but 99% of the people here are just spectators and nothing more. Whatever they are, our attitudes affect nothing.

I think I'm more frustrated with the people acting like this is acceptable than I am with KO directly. But everything just seems apathetic. KO looks apathetic, the team looks apathetic, the fans are apathetic. It just doesn't look like UConn. Maybe I'm just scared we're going to end up in the college basketball record books as that team that went on a 15 year run and disappeared into a lousy conference, but I'm just tired of people acting like it's ok and that everything will be fine.

Reaction Score
If Abidah Brimah doesn't make that and 1 vs st joe's, is Ollie still around? I'll say no. Heck I think Jim Calhoun was expected to take over after 1 year, it just so happened that Uconn got on an unbelivable run and won it.

Reaction Score
I think I'm more frustrated with the people acting like this is acceptable than I am with KO directly. But everything just seems apathetic. KO looks apathetic, the team looks apathetic, the fans are apathetic. It just doesn't look like UConn. Maybe I'm just scared we're going to end up in the college basketball record books as that team that went on a 15 year run and disappeared into a lousy conference, but I'm just tired of people acting like it's ok and that everything will be fine.
Yep this is spot on, but won't get much love around here.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
If Abidah Brimah doesn't make that and 1 vs st joe's, is Ollie still around? I'll say no. Heck I think Jim Calhoun was expected to take over after 1 year, it just so happened that Uconn got on an unbelivable run and won it.

You missed the numerous health issues that Calhoun had to deal with over the last 4-5 years of his tenure. His body couldn't take coaching anymore. There's a reason he's happy with broadcasting now.

Reaction Score
You missed the numerous health issues that Calhoun had to deal with over the last 4-5 years of his tenure. His body couldn't take coaching anymore. There's a reason he's happy with broadcasting now.
Idk, I saw him during the tbs broadcast vs Nova in that march madness and it looked like he was refreshed. Might have been nothing but, was there not a rumor about the bc job involving him too?

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Idk, I saw him during the tbs broadcast vs Nova in that march madness and it looked like he was refreshed. Might have been nothing but, was there not a rumor about the bc job involving him too?

The fools at ESPN planted that to stir up. And he's refreshed because he has much less physical and mental stress than he did when he was coaching DI basketball for 39 years.

Reaction Score
Yep this is spot on, but won't get much love around here.

I'm just severely disappointed. We should be better than this. We are better than this. We are UConn. But we sure don't act or look like it - coach, players, and fans alike. I love UConn and I'm disappointed to see back to back years that look like this. I hope we start winning, and I really, really hope I have to eat crow in March, but I just don't see it.

Reaction Score
The fools at ESPN planted that to stir up. And he's refreshed because he has much less physical and mental stress than he did when he was coaching DI basketball for 39 years.

Agreed. I hope he just keeps doing his thing. I do hope he's on the phone will Ollie though. He coached him for 4 years, I hope he's continuing to do so.

Reaction Score
I can't stand it when people live in the past

To piggyback - everyone is acting like we're mad because we're losing. Maybe you are, but I have a feeling you feel similar to me.

I don't care about losing. Losing happens to the best of them. Losing is a part of sports and a part of life. But you know what winners do when they lose? They get better. They learn. They adapt. When is the last time we've learned from a mistake? When is the last time we didn't run into the same traps that cause the losses. We haven't changed. We haven't adapted. And it's frustrating because Ollie coached his balls off during the NC run. He outcoached some of the best coaches in the game - but where is that? Where has that been since the run?

Reaction Score
To piggyback - everyone is acting like we're mad because we're losing. Maybe you are, but I have a feeling you feel similar to me.

I don't care about losing. Losing happens to the best of them. Losing is a part of sports and a part of life. But you know what winners do when they lose? They get better. They learn. They adapt. When is the last time we've learned from a mistake? When is the last time we didn't run into the same traps that cause the losses. We haven't changed. We haven't adapted. And it's frustrating because Ollie coached his balls off during the NC run. He outcoached some of the best coaches in the game - but where is that? Where has that been since the run?
Exactly, I feel like we lose and don't learn from it. We lose and do the same exact things twice as bad the next game. Players constantly get worse and don't improve. It's so maddening that there is no one else to pin it on but KO

Reaction Score
Exactly, I feel like we lose and don't learn from it. We lose and do the same exact things twice as bad the next game. Players constantly get worse and don't improve. It's so maddening that there is no one else to pin it on but KO

I'm just dumbfounded watching this team and last years after watching the Championship run. Where has the spark from Ollie been? Where are the creative sets and plays? We ran a TON of them during that run.

I can only think that:

1. Ollie doesn't believe he has the players to properly run his scheme

2. The players don't run the schemes he calls

3. He's forcing a scheme and it's not working

It has to be one of the three. If it's #1 - then change your scheme. If it's #2 - hook players, or change your scheme. If it's #3 - CHANGE YOUR SCHEME

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Yes with a program that HE grew, nurtured, and established. You almost conclusively make my point for me. Another fail for you.

That had nothing to do with your point. And if it did, you made it poorly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom