Why didn't UConn have a bench tonight? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Why didn't UConn have a bench tonight?

Reaction Score
of course UConn had a bench. Geno just didn't use it.

is Megan not good enough to play a couple of minutes? she hasn't seemed as effective since she had the flu, but has she really had the chance since? how about Kyla? she's playing very well lately.

Certainly not for the first time, Geno CHOSE to play his best 6 the entire 200 minutes. If (say) Z had also fouled out, Geno would have gone to Megan or Kyla, and one of them would have scored 6 points, got 4 rebounds, and we'd say she played great and that UConn had a terrific bench. But Z didn't foul out and so no one else played.

Everything else is just speculation and buzz.

If you
take all that away---the BY will turn to dust---Opinions/Speculations and Buzz run rampant and truly are more than half the fun. If they are outlawed---what then will we then be held to politically correct speech?? Hmmm?

Reaction Score
You folks are joking, right?

I think Geno is at a point in his " psychological development of the bench" where he would have inserted no one. Like in the movie, " Hoosiers'" he would have played with four.

The bench problems are Geno and the coaching staffs biggest problem and has been for the past 33 years...

Reaction Score
It was refreshing to hear that even Geno knows UCONN cannot win it all, playing only 6.
Refreshing or not---Geno has 7 players, IMO, that are usable in big time games--beyond that not much.
So is that all he wants or all he needs? If teams continues as this one and 2 previous games--play with gusto, shelter skelter, have long benches (of some imperfect players), they have a more than even chance to defeat a very short bench Uconn---

Reaction Score
I agree..surely Walker and Coombs could have played 4-5 minutes each at a minimum to give the starters a break without negatively effecting the team's chances....Geno is such a perfectionist that players get pulled after making a single freshman mistake but that's exactly what causes them to play so tight during their limited time on the court......it's hard to expect a usable bench when the players don't get the minutes they need to improve their play....,
That's why players like Butler thrive in environments that expect less than perfection. Trust from a Coach one would expect trust to give that back as confidence and more precise play. Thats not to mean a player who plays poorly deserves trust--but Geno recruited 4 of the best this year.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
the only way to get a credible bench is to actually play the bench players in games.......there should still be a middle ground where a player has to earn minutes in meaningful games as opposed to simply moping up in the fourth quarter......however Geno's propensity to keep the starters in after three quarters up by thirty or forty points when they could be resting their bumps and bruises is unnecessary as far as I'm concerned......

This--and Charlieball's earlier posts in this thread--seem to me exactly right. To me, the key issue isn't whether or not anyone beyond Azura could have helped off the bench in this game, and I can certainly understand why Geno chose to go with six players only in a game on the road and as tight as this one. To me, it's why that was the case, and I agree that Geno's reluctance to provide regular minutes (other than at the end of games) to his freshman (at least some of them) and Irwin throughout the games preceding this one is surely one of the most important reasons--if not the most important one--for this shortfall. Yes, they will screw up, be inconsistent, and may never get to the point where they belong in a close and important game. But they might, and they would at least provide some rest for the starters, and maybe save some fouls as well. I realize that's not Geno's way, and I get that anyone could simply respond by saying that it's silly to question the methods of a coach who has had such unprecedented success. But it's Geno, himself, who has identified a short bench as a serious problem, and in my view the only answer is playing with regularity--and from the very beginning of the season--the players who have the potential to solve it.

Reaction Score
Live by the sword and die by it....The bench problems are Geno and the coaching staffs biggest problem and has been for the past 33 years..I think Geno omitted last night that he was going to fix his bench issues..I hope so and soon....These players are AA;s and he to be baptized under fire in the next few weeks against the AAC teams to get ready for the tournament.
The coaching staff needs to make his bench become an asset.

Bench problems are not new--but certainly not a 33 year old problem. The problem Geno had with the Sue Svet DT team wasn't about a bad bench --but one too talented to sit and they didn't . That was true of other benches for Uconn.
Do you believe GENO will adjust his Perfect practices lead to PT mentality?

Reaction Score
Who looked exhausted? There is s time out every 5 minutes.
So play the bench in a tight game and lose?
Yea like the BY wouldn't have s melt down. Many here are melting after a win.

so we see things differently. I saw real fatigue(Samuelson,Williams,Collier). I saw Walker play effectively against MD(12&7),UCLA(13&3) and ND(6 rebounds). She could have provided important minutes giving breathers for the 6. Players commit dumb fouls (Collier) when they're tired. Walker can play. To say that putting her in means losing the game is ridiculous. Tired players are more likely to lose games. no big deal-that's just how I see it.

Reaction Score
In Ken Burns' Civil War documentary, the (confederate) historian Shelby Foote describes the defeat at Gettysburg as the price the South paid for Robert E Lee's genius. Lee too had started believing in the invincibilty of the Army of Northern Virginia.
Geno has grown comfortable using 7 players (sometimes 6) in the game. On some days fans will pay a price for the 11 NCs he has won.

Reaction Score
While I agree with everyone who express concern over UConn’s effectively short bench in big games, that wasn’t why the game was close last night. For the past 2 seasons, UConn has been masking the fact that they don’t have a real post player.

Gabby and Pheesa have done a wonderful job, and UConn has employed some creative defensive schemes to defend teams with size like Baylor & SC last season, but like MS St last year, and TX last night, some teams will be able to expose UConn’s lack of a traditional post player.

Right now Z is getting a crash course on playing the post, and she’s been very good at times, but she’s got a ways to go. It should be noted that at Duke, Z was a wing. I had held out hope that Batouly would be able to at least play some “Natalie Butler” minutes, but whether it’s due to bad knees or lack of trust, that hasn’t happened so far.

During the incredible stretch of 4 straight championship teams, UConn always had some combination of Steph, Kiah, Tuck & Stewie to play against teams with one or more Bigs in the post, and so it was a strength for the Huskies, not a weakness they were trying to hide.
While 99% of my focus is on enjoying the great win, I do think about UConn in 2 years with no true post player. Geno usually figures out a way to overcome but with all the giants at Texas, Baylor, etc. curious what his plan is.

Reaction Score
This topic has been discussed on numerous threads. Now Geno, realizes that this is something that he needs to address.
The bench needs to be developed in the AAC blowouts, so these players can be dependably used in big game,as as needed.
Having said that, Megan Walker needs to be used more....she was the consensus number one HS player. She didnt achieve that by lack of talent or effort. Her peers , especially at Tenn, are winning big games, by playing freshman. They are making mistakes, but developing way more confidence and experience.

Reaction Score
This--and Charlieball's earlier posts in this thread--seem to me exactly right. To me, the key issue isn't whether or not anyone beyond Azura could have helped off the bench in this game, and I can certainly understand why Geno chose to go with six players only in a game on the road and as tight as this one. To me, it's why that was the case, and I agree that Geno's reluctance to provide regular minutes (other than at the end of games) to his freshman (at least some of them) and Irwin throughout the games preceding this one is surely one of the most important reasons--if not the most important one--for this shortfall. Yes, they will screw up, be inconsistent, and may never get to the point where they belong in a close and important game. But they might, and they would at least provide some rest for the starters, and maybe save some fouls as well. I realize that's not Geno's way, and I get that anyone could simply respond by saying that it's silly to question the methods of a coach who has had such unprecedented success. But it's Geno, himself, who has identified a short bench as a serious problem, and in my view the only answer is playing with regularity--and from the very beginning of the season--the players who have the potential to solve it.

Geno didn't "identify" the short bench--it was words to the Bench to get your A-- in gear and produce.
To his standards. Charlie is right to some extent. I firmly believe practices teach--but you don't really learn until you are immersed in the waters of the game.
Only a novice in December would not see the requirement for more effective players stepping up---but the need for height is serious and with Uconn since April--and Batouly is the only bench that meets that criteria and she is hobbled. Old basketball adage --you can't (or cane\t) teach height.

Reaction Score
so we see things differently. I saw real fatigue(Samuelson,Williams,Collier). I saw Walker play effectively against MD(12&7),UCLA(13&3) and ND(6 rebounds). She could have provided important minutes giving breathers for the 6. Players commit dumb fouls (Collier) when they're tired. Walker can play. To say that putting her in means losing the game is ridiculous. Tired players are more likely to lose games. no big deal-that's just how I see it.
I agree with Walker. But I follow the 30 year hall of fame coach. We fans have no idea what happens in game prep.

Reaction Score
of course UConn had a bench. Geno just didn't use it.

is Megan not good enough to play a couple of minutes? she hasn't seemed as effective since she had the flu, but has she really had the chance since? how about Kyla? she's playing very well lately.

Certainly not for the first time, Geno CHOSE to play his best 6 the entire 200 minutes. If (say) Z had also fouled out, Geno would have gone to Megan or Kyla, and one of them would have scored 6 points, got 4 rebounds, and we'd say she played great and that UConn had a terrific bench. But Z didn't foul out and so no one else played.

Everything else is just speculation and buzz.
Geno has 5 bench plus Touly----exclude Touly--Bench ? You can't teach height!!

Reaction Score
IMHO, I believe an opportunity exists when the opposition substitutes their underclassmen. Isn't that the prime time for Geno to do likewise?

Reaction Score
A different view. "Help" can mean resting starters so they can play at higher level. The affect of the running, pounding, etc. is not related to just one game but to the entire season. We have a team where many have ankle and foot issues. Overwork is the #1 issue so if one goes down as Kia did last year and KLS the year before, this will become a different discussion.

Reaction Score
I agree with Walker. But I follow the 30 year hall of fame coach. We fans have no idea what happens in game prep.

Most of us who played BB and those of us who have followed Uconn for 20 or 33 years have seen videos of practices--so most of us have very good idea of what happens in those practices. What we don't know is specific's on certain players--even the #2 coach in WBB inject frosh into big time games--Mabrey comes to mind--others for ND played as frosh. Dawn, (#3?) plays frosh regularly, Mss st plays frosh regularly, Louisville, etc---
The question is--does Geno recruit so poorly his kids are not worthy of playing as frosh? Facetious!

Reaction Score
Most of us who played BB and those of us who have followed Uconn for 20 or 33 years have seen videos of practices--so most of us have very good idea of what happens in those practices. What we don't know is specific's on certain players--even the #2 coach in WBB inject frosh into big time games--Mabrey comes to mind--others for ND played as frosh. Dawn, (#3?) plays frosh regularly, Mss st plays frosh regularly, Louisville, etc---
The question is--does Geno recruit so poorly his kids are not worthy of playing as frosh? Facetious!
Just because we see 30 second clips of practice on the Geno Show does not mean any of us knows what goes on during a 2-3 hour practice and film study and weight room.
And how many NC's does ND, Miss ST, SC and LVille have with all these frosh?

Reaction Score
Geno didn't "identify" the short bench--it was words to the Bench to get your A-- in gear and produce.
To his standards. Charlie is right to some extent. I firmly believe practices teach--but you don't really learn until you are immersed in the waters of the game.
Only a novice in December would not see the requirement for more effective players stepping up---but the need for height is serious and with Uconn since April--and Batouly is the only bench that meets that criteria and she is hobbled. Old basketball adage --you can't (or cane\t) teach height.

Walker has shown herself to be a very good rebounder. Quick to the ball, blocks out well, plays beyond her height.

Reaction Score
While I agree with everyone who express concern over UConn’s effectively short bench in big games, that wasn’t why the game was close last night. For the past 2 seasons, UConn has been masking the fact that they don’t have a real post player.

Gabby and Pheesa have done a wonderful job, and UConn has employed some creative defensive schemes to defend teams with size like Baylor & SC last season, but like MS St last year, and TX last night, some teams will be able to expose UConn’s lack of a traditional post player.

Right now Z is getting a crash course on playing the post, and she’s been very good at times, but she’s got a ways to go. It should be noted that at Duke, Z was a wing. I had held out hope that Batouly would be able to at least play some “Natalie Butler” minutes, but whether it’s due to bad knees or lack of trust, that hasn’t happened so far.

During the incredible stretch of 4 straight championship teams, UConn always had some combination of Steph, Kiah, Tuck & Stewie to play against teams with one or more Bigs in the post, and so it was a strength for the Huskies, not a weakness they were trying to hide.

I agree, nice analysis. Last year Geno masked the lack of a Big until Mss St unmasked it. This year we had hopes Azura would be a Post---she wasn't and isn't--she's a wing, a great wing. She is learning
but she won't be fully effective this year--
Geno as all great coaches plays all year for March/April. The progression of his team is on a path to PEAK in late april---when do you want to play your best--January or April??

Reaction Score
no, we don't know what's happening in game prep. but,as you agree, we have seen Walker perform against good teams. the only thing I can figure is that Geno must be peeved with her for some lack of practice intensity. I hope his not playing her doesn't hurt the team at some point.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Geno DID play Megan in the UCLA and Notre Dame games, and she did well. I have to assume that she practiced well in advance of those games, but that she hasn't been practicing as well recently.

Apparently no one takes seriously his "moral hazard" argument -- that if you allow a freshman to get minutes despite bad practices, then she has a tendency to tune out your coaching for the rest of her time at UConn. That makes sense to me, and I have to believe that Geno knows that from bitter past experience.

Reaction Score
Just because we see 30 second clips of practice on the Geno Show does not mean any of us knows what goes on during a 2-3 hour practice and film study and weight room.
And how many NC's does ND, Miss ST, SC and LVille have with all these frosh?

You haven't seen the 1/2 long shows on Geno practices??
I bow to the master and kiss his ring. When a discussion can't go beyond--it goes to that. Geno is human--ALL humans are imperfect and with faults/flaws. !
Still one of those top coaches won that NC last year when Geno didn't---
Played Frosh against the same team that defeated Geno.

With the NC discussion ended.
GENO has played Frosh and started frosh . If you go to those year prior to Stewie, maybe prior to Maya. He had teams with out fire power or decent guards beyond the frosh. He then HAD to used them--and he did. He even played Charde whom he though less than energetic and practiced less than stellar--because she could score. Never say Never.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’d like too see Geno play MW and KI with 3 of the starters.... rest 2.
I bet they really improve! Just saying.........

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom