Why didn't UConn have a bench tonight? | The Boneyard

Why didn't UConn have a bench tonight?

Reaction Score
of course UConn had a bench. Geno just didn't use it.

is Megan not good enough to play a couple of minutes? she hasn't seemed as effective since she had the flu, but has she really had the chance since? how about Kyla? she's playing very well lately.

Certainly not for the first time, Geno CHOSE to play his best 6 the entire 200 minutes. If (say) Z had also fouled out, Geno would have gone to Megan or Kyla, and one of them would have scored 6 points, got 4 rebounds, and we'd say she played great and that UConn had a terrific bench. But Z didn't foul out and so no one else played.

Everything else is just speculation and buzz.

Reaction Score
During the fourth, I kept saying to myself that if Kia fouls out, surely Geno will put Megan into the game (given that Pheesa and Z were already trading places on and off the bench every couple of minutes).

What do you guys think, would she have been the next player in?

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I was very surprised Kyla did not make it into the game after Geno's complements on her play in Houston :confused:

Maybe TX was just too athletic a matchup??

Reaction Score
One of Geno's long term characteristics is that he's one of the most conservative roster managers in WCBB. In the serious games, when given a choice between losing efficiency from unproven bench players and running his small lineup of trusted players into the red, he will almost always choose the latter. It's been this way for quite some time, and it works very well for him the vast majority of time. Notable possible exceptions include games that go into overtime, when even UConn players often start to look exhausted.

So Geno is what he is, when it comes to his roster. But note his comments after the game where he said he was going to emphasize getting the bench into playing shape in the coming weeks. How often does Geno mention zero-minute bench players after a close win? Not often, as far as I can recall.

So Geno recognizes that a six player rotation is suboptimal and would like some more in the mix. But Geno is what he is. He won't compromise on avoiding untrusted players in close games unless he has no other choice. Those players will have to seize the opportunity, rather than having it handed to them. (unless things get seriously, seriously unfortunate/unlucky somehow)

Reaction Score
I was very surprised Kyla did not make it into the game after Geno's complements on her play in Houston :confused:

Maybe TX was just too athletic a matchup??

I think so. With Texas penetration - Kyla would have had to help and react quickly. ANd on pick and rolls with their quickness I think too much.

Reaction Score

is Megan not good enough to play a couple of minutes? she hasn't seemed as effective since she had the flu, but has she really had the chance since? how about Kyla? she's playing very well lately.

Certainly not for the first time, Geno CHOSE to play his best 6 the entire 200 minutes. If (say) Z had also fouled out, Geno would have gone to Megan or Kyla, and one of them would have scored 6 points, got 4 rebounds, and we'd say she played great and that UConn had a terrific bench. But Z didn't foul out and so no one else played.

The Texas size and the pace of the game would have been too much for any of the bench players except possibly Walker. She could have gone a few minutes.

Reaction Score
One of Geno's long term characteristics is that he's one of the most conservative roster managers in WCBB. In the serious games, when given a choice between losing efficiency from unproven bench players and running his small lineup of trusted players into the red, he will almost always choose the latter. It's been this way for quite some time, and it works very well for him the vast majority of time. Notable possible exceptions include games that go into overtime, when even UConn players often start to look exhausted.

So Geno is what he is, when it comes to his roster. But note his comments after the game where he said he was going to emphasize getting the bench into playing shape in the coming weeks. How often does Geno mention zero-minute bench players after a close win? Not often, as far as I can recall.

So Geno recognizes that a six player rotation is suboptimal and would like some more in the mix. But Geno is what he is. He won't compromise on avoiding untrusted players in close games unless he has no other choice. Those players will have to seize the opportunity, rather than having it handed to them. (unless things get seriously, seriously unfortunate/unlucky somehow)

Did he say "playing shape?"

also-- I think it a bit of"circumstance" too. Look at the year they beat ND with Stewie as a frosh. He used 7. look at the 1st half box score. I think he'll use more if he gets confident in them but overall I think you're right but I think he'd like to use 7. I just tend to think he feels there is a lot of separation between the 6 and the other and the same over the years.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2012-2013/040713.html

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Here's the problem, as I see it. There is quite a drop off in talent between the top six ( all potential All Americans) and the rest of the team. And when Geno tries to work them in, they defer to the starters, so they essentially become just place holders. And this put more pressure on the four remaining starters in the game. Geno has said he is encouraging them to be more aggressive, but then he also seems to be taking them out when they make a mistake. Kind of a mixed message. I hope he realizes that, against teams like Temple, Tulane and Memphis, he really can't go wrong with any substitutions. Leave them in there, let them make mistakes, let them learn.

ETA: Instead of "talent" I should have said "player development." That would be more accurate.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
That's who Geno is. Bench players making contributions against the dregs we play in the AAC doesn't impress him. He clearly has no level of trust with any of them past the sixth position.

He did almost pay a price for it tonight, though. Katie Lou played her heart out, but she was dead tired at the end. That's why she missed the FTs that would have made the final stretch much less nerve racking.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
During the fourth, I kept saying to myself that if Kia fouls out, surely Geno will put Megan into the game (given that Pheesa and Z were already trading places on and off the bench every couple of minutes).

What do you guys think, would she have been the next player in?

Yes. If not Megan, then Mikayla. I commented at the beginning of the game that reserves would not see any floor time. Turns out I was right. Stevens was the only reserve used. The game was too close from tip to buzzer. This was not the type of game you want to try and get in some of the reserves for the sake of getting them in.

The game on Thursday (Tulsa) is the game you want to get the reserves in. NO doubt Geno already knew who he was going to sub in IF Kia fouled out. The thinking here is whoever you sub in should not hurt you. If they help you, fine, but they cannot be a detriment. They have to play solid the entire time they're out there.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Tonight featured 3 of the top 4 2017 recruits and none of them played a single minute. Pretty crazy. Patterson is far down on the depth chart (behind McCarty and Sutton), and Boothe is way too much of a wildcard to log minutes in a game like tonight, especially when CG and White both had good showings.

I thought Walker would get some minutes, but I'm confident she'll be in the rotation by the end of the year. She's more than capable of being an impact player off the bench. Geno will likely cap his rotation at 7 in the NCAAs. They don't need more than 7 players and have versatility at every position.

I don't think Irwin will ever see minutes in a meaningful game unless it's a blowout. She can put together nice minutes off the bench against AAC opponents, but she doesn't match up with athletic guards or posts well at all defensively. Same situation with Bent--nice kid, but she isn't going to play in big games.

Not sure what to make of Coombs and Gordon other than I believe they'll see more minutes in the upcoming AAC games similar to how Gabby Williams saw more minutes during the easier part of the schedule her freshman year. Not saying they'll develop into a player of Gabby's caliber, but playing against weak opponents is a good way for them to get up to speed and execute what they've learned and worked on in practice.

Mister2

Looking for Mister1
Reaction Score
That's who Geno is. Bench players making contributions against the dregs we play in the AAC doesn't impress him. He clearly has no level of trust with any of them past the sixth position.
He did almost pay a price for it tonight, though. Katie Lou played her heart out, but she was dead tired at the end. That's why she missed the FTs that would have made the final stretch much less nerve racking.

Agreed 100%. That's why in the post game interview Geno mentioned the urgency of developing bench players. I'm afraid this team won't go all the way this season unless one or two reserves (I don't count Z as a reserve) could earn Geno's trust to the point where he would give them minutes in a close game. There is only one reason that a shooter of KLS's caliber would miss 2 FTs in a row: tiredness that throws off the rhythm of the shooting motion (besides shooting with just one eye).

Reaction Score
There are some here on this board who suffer from an excess of hubris. Time to face reality about the players and the coaches. There are other good programs. So let's embrace the parity and enjoy the competition. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
I do think geno has painted himself into a corner by not giving game time to at least two of the freshmen. He has had ample opportunity in the league games winning by 30 points. They cannot get confident if they don't play in games. He desperately needs two more guards and a better rotation.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Rellah Boothe of Texas (who was going to avg 40 pts or something like that to show people she is the best recruit from last year) did not get in the game either, so don't feel bad for Megan.
None of TX freshmen got in the game: Boothe, Chastity Patterson or Destiny Littleton

Reaction Score

The bench players have not demonstrated in practice that they are ready to play up to UConn’s standards yet . Once they do they will play. I for one am glad that Geno and UConn don’t cave and make the players earn their playing time.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Part of the problem is the chronological distribution of talent. We have 2 seniors, they played. We have 3 Juniors, they played. We have 4 sophomores, 1 played, 1 recovering from injury, 2 with talent questions, and 3 freshmen. If we had 3 seniors and 3 juniors, we might have more of a functioning bench. I Dejanae (sp) Boykin were here would there be more of a bench. What about Sadie Edwards or ...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While I agree with everyone who express concern over UConn’s effectively short bench in big games, that wasn’t why the game was close last night. For the past 2 seasons, UConn has been masking the fact that they don’t have a real post player.

Gabby and Pheesa have done a wonderful job, and UConn has employed some creative defensive schemes to defend teams with size like Baylor & SC last season, but like MS St last year, and TX last night, some teams will be able to expose UConn’s lack of a traditional post player.

Right now Z is getting a crash course on playing the post, and she’s been very good at times, but she’s got a ways to go. It should be noted that at Duke, Z was a wing. I had held out hope that Batouly would be able to at least play some “Natalie Butler” minutes, but whether it’s due to bad knees or lack of trust, that hasn’t happened so far.

During the incredible stretch of 4 straight championship teams, UConn always had some combination of Steph, Kiah, Tuck & Stewie to play against teams with one or more Bigs in the post, and so it was a strength for the Huskies, not a weakness they were trying to hide.

Reaction Score
I was always of the impression that these games in January were to get ready for March. With the size that Texas put out there, and how they were killing us off the boards, Kyla could have helped. Whenever Meghan comes in, she seems to put the ball in the hoop, something else that was lacking last night. JMO...

Reaction Score
Texas is big and athletic and at least on this night, they were fast and shooting well. That's not a formula that argues for using anyoine but your best players.

HGN

Reaction Score
IMHO , Geno did EXACTLY what he should have done. He played the players that he felt could win UConn the game. The game was back-and-forth all night. Texas was hitting shots all over and giving our starters problems. (What do you think they would have done against our freshmen ?) Our starters weren't playing all that well. And we were behind most of the game.

As much as we all would like to see our bench contribute more , this was not the game to put undue pressure on them to play well , when our starters hadn't given us a decent lead.

Uconn only won by 4 points.........Playing our TOP 6 players. Geno could have indeed inserted a couple off the bench , but at what price ??

Reaction Score
I do think geno has painted himself into a corner by not giving game time to at least two of the freshmen. He has had ample opportunity in the league games winning by 30 points. They cannot get confident if they don't play in games. He desperately needs two more guards and a better rotation.

I agree............surely Walker and Coombs could have played 4-5 minutes each at a minimum to give the starters a break without negatively effecting the team's chances..............Geno is such a perfectionist that players get pulled after making a single freshman mistake but that's exactly what causes them to play so tight during their limited time on the court...........it's hard to expect a usable bench when the players don't get the minutes they need to improve their play...................,

Reaction Score
I was always of the impression that these games in January were to get ready for March. With the size that Texas put out there, and how they were killing us off the boards, Kyla could have helped. Whenever Meghan comes in, she seems to put the ball in the hoop, something else that was lacking last night. JMO...

We can agree to disagree.

1-- The team is also trying to win games for March. Winning games are important too.

2-- Kyla imo couldn't have helped. Texas guards were getting in the paint. Megan would have had to help out and she isn't quick to help then get back to her player.

3-- Meg Walker has not been putting the ball in the hoop. She is shooting just 46% for the season and 29.4% from 3. And most of her minutes hasn't been in big games ) though she played well vs ND and UCLA).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom