Why did Maryland lose the Game? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Why did Maryland lose the Game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The game yesterday was a game of survival . UConn had 7 players, two were in foul trouble, and at least one was sick. Maryland played a few minutes of up tempo ball and scored easily. They have several athletic guards... Charles,Walker Kimbrough, Watson, and Slocum. A man to man press did not have to force turnovers, it could have worn the guards down, and gotten a charge or two.

No it wouldn't. You would have invited Danger to play more of her style while having to sit Slocum. If you weren't playing fullcourt the entire game then it you probably aren't going to wear UConn guards especially when they have Danger and at the time Lou and Nurse could still drill 3's. . You either comit to it or you don't. And putting Bjones at risk for cheap fouls while assuming "there will be a charge or two on UCONN" is not likely correct thinking. More likely BJones gets fouls for being exposed from attacking huskies.

Reaction Score
No it wouldn't. You would have invited Danger to play more of her style while having to sit Slocum. If you weren't playing fullcourt the entire game then it you probably aren't going to wear UConn guards especially when they have Danger and at the time Lou and Nurse could still drill 3's. . You either comit to it or you don't. And putting Bjones at risk for cheap fouls while assuming "there will be a charge or two on UCONN" is not likely correct thinking. More likely BJones gets fouls for being exposed from attacking huskies.

When Maryland was going up-tempo ( fast breaking on made baskets) and running every chance they could the UConn guards were dead tired and did not get back. Frazier can run, Jones did not need to play 40 minutes.

I know UConn does not commit many charges (or foul), however the officials yesterday were whistle happy... to MD's benifit

Reaction Score
If we was in Storrs, we are looking at a 20+ point blowout. People are giving Maryland credit for staying in with Uconn but how bout giving uconn credit for playing a tough schedule and only going 7 deep. These girls are tired and still performing like the #1 team that does not know how to lose.

Reaction Score
If we was in Storrs, we are looking at a 20+ point blowout. People are giving Maryland credit for staying in with Uconn but how bout giving uconn credit for playing a tough schedule and only going 7 deep. These girls are tired and still performing like the #1 team that does not know how to lose.

UConn deserves a lot was credit ! It was like watching a champion boxer who was on the ropes at the end of a fight, but has the heart/desire/guts to win. Rocky X ?

Reaction Score
When Maryland was going up-tempo ( fast breaking on made baskets) and running every chance they could the UConn guards were dead tired and did not get back. Frazier can run, Jones did not need to play 40 minutes.

I know UConn does not commit many charges (or foul), however the officials yesterday were whistle happy... to MD's benifit

Okay no problem but how could you say Danger was "dead tired?" Unless she was sick?

If Jones wasn't part of the press how can it work when UCONN would have such an easy outlet?

Unless you were are only going to press when BJones is out?

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
My simple answer. UConn didn't have to do anything more than what they had already done. Maryland was going to need to do extra extra to win. I would say Maryland probably did extra (Freshman played beyond their years) but not extra extra (Didn't get enough from the team as a whole). You have to beat UConn with everything you have. 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 players isn't going to do it. All 5 on the court at any given time have to be ready to play for 40 minutes. Maryland didn't get that last night.

Now, what I would hate to see is Maryland feel good about this loss and not continue to improve. I sort of got that feeling. Like they felt they had a chance. They didn't.

Reaction Score
I enjoyed watching Slocum's game more than the Maybrey sisters. She was the real deal at least last night.

I think we UCONN fans should appreciate the solid competition from a gamer. I did wince at some of the reffing but all in all we got everything we could ask for, a tough gutted out win! I am really enjoying watching the team this year because they have to and are earning each victory.

Reaction Score
You don't strike me as easily impressed if last night's game didn't do anything for you you seriously need to check you pulse.
The mental gymnastics that you are doing like wondering what the final score would have been if KLS hit her open 1st half shots is proof positive that you are working too hard NOT to enjoy the game.
I was Impressed by Destiny & MD because:
In addition to her 23 Points Destiny handed out 7 Assists.
Brianna Jones scored 19 points on 7 shot attempts-Pretty darn efficient.
Freshmen Charles had 4 steals, 6 rebounds, & 18 Points
Md was down 19 and could have easily folded- MD did not fold.
MD scored 81 points against UCONN
Your critique of the MD defense is valid, but seriously the UCONN defense could have been better also, after all, MD did out rebound UCONN by 9.
#TrytoEnjoyTheGAMEMORE#
Thank you for the Slocum statistics. When I read the OP, my first thought was, "what about all the help she provided?" I didn't know it was 7 assists, but I remember a couple of them, one of which was nothing short of spectacular.

Reaction Score
At the end of the day, this game will probably be remembered for Katie Lou's gritty performance in the face of illness. If she had mailed it in like many of us would have done under the circumstances, UConn would have lost, plain and simple.

Reaction Score
I'm at a lost for all the positive comments I'm reading about this years Maryland team..
reading these comments you would think freshman guard Destiny Slocum is the next best thing to slice bread, really? the best point guard for the foreseeable future? Sorry to say I'm not that impressed..

Maryland half court offense is street-ball at best... Can Destiny Shoot? of course she can, Is she confident? absolutely.. But coming down court and jacking up shots without a single pass or with just one pass is not the job of a great point guard.. And if you watched the Maryland post game interview to the end, you would understand that is actually the guidance given to her from her coach... that was so disappointing to hear..

And let's not mention about their defense, if Katie Lou made half of her opened shots in the first half I wondered what the end score would actually be.. How does a defense consistently allow Kia and Lou so many opened looks.. Not impressed at all, I really expected more from them based on last years performance in MSG..

Maryland has "This years dominant Post" Briana Jones, yet her performance some what unnoticeable, why wasn't the offense ran through her? She was basically a rebounder in the game..

If not for some silly unforced Turnovers from Kia in the first half and self inflicted foul trouble in the second half which enabled them to attack the rim off dribble without fear of being contested, This game would have been a blowout on their home court.. Maryland is no where close to closing the gap on UCONN..
This was one of my favorite games in a long time-have watched 3x already. While opinions always vary, don't share your opinions. This game could have gone either way but have to respect Maryland. Without a superhuman effort by KLS and some clutch shots by Chong, they had momentum at end. Their frosh were great and unlikely their upper classmen would be this poor again. While we likely would not have the same issues with fouls and illness, would not want to count on Huskies to shoot this well again.

Reaction Score
OT would have been serious trouble for the Huskies.

Reaction Score
You may be right about Slocum's game yesterday but she is way more athletic and a much better all around player then any of the Mabrey sisters could ever dream of being.....and that is coming from a NJ Shore Conference fan....
Credit given where credit was due!!!

Reaction Score
This was one of my favorite games in a long time-have watched 3x already. While opinions always vary, don't share your opinions. This game could have gone either way but have to respect Maryland. Without a superhuman effort by KLS and some clutch shots by Chong, they had momentum at end. Their frosh were great and unlikely their upper classmen would be this poor again. While we likely would not have the same issues with fouls and illness, would not want to count on Huskies to shoot this well again.
Call the MD surge at end of game any name you'd like. The fact is : Uconn was in real foul trouble, KLS was very ill, Uconn had 19 points to start the final quarter---Geno told his kids to defend but loosely and avoid fouls--it worked until Collier picked up her 5th--at that point with less than 3 minutes in the game--Brenda fouled to stop the clock and Uconn only had the shooter on the foul line--everryone else was back under the MD shooting basket--
Was this Momentum or just that Geno was protecting his players?? When Uconn doesn't guard a top shooter --she usually scores--and Slocum got the pass. Geno in the final quarter was milking his lead and the clock--who became Geno's new found friend..

Reaction Score
I'd sign up for UConn and Maryland meeting each other again in the Finals

Reaction Score
I enjoyed watching Slocum's game more than the Maybrey sisters. She was the real deal at least last night.

I think we UCONN fans should appreciate the solid competition from a gamer. I did wince at some of the reffing but all in all we got everything we could ask for, a tough gutted out win! I am really enjoying watching the team this year because they have to and are earning each victory.
MD is always tough--Jones and Walker and now Slocum make them harder to defend--that's true!!
In the final quarter Geno produced a new modified game plan --called beat the clock and avoid fouls--Slocum is a shooter--when loosely guarded--Geno gave her that in the 4th--
If Uconn meets them again--with healthy players--the outcome shall be very different--with a wider score spread.

T

TroyHouse66

BroadVay
<<Geno in the final quarter was milking his lead and the clock...Geno's new found friend..>>

Man!
Ain't that clock-milk tasty, sweet stuff!
Leave it to Il Maestro to have a glass available AND keep it from going sour.

Reaction Score
Just one quick serious question, before I strongly dissent. What team has pressed UCONN effectively in the last 2 dacades?
This year's version of the Huskies have 5 quality ball handlers and passers, pressing more than a token would have been suicidal for MD.
Notre Dame with Diggins against the KML / Doty team--they trapped Doty and Moriah. They pressed and trapped and darn it won.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I actually thought she was a better coach, I'm learning more that she is not... Only time will tell, but this team will not go far this year unless they get better at half court offense

My dear
Time has told.

Reaction Score
BroadVay
<<Geno in the final quarter was milking his lead and the clock...Geno's new found friend..>>

Man!
Ain't that clock-milk tasty, sweet stuff!
Leave it to Il Maestro to have a glass available AND keep it from going sour.

Many think MD scored easily in the Fourth Quarter because they developed "momentum" --they scored because Geno Milked the clock and told his kids to avoid fouls to the point of letting them score--smart coaching--but what else would you expect with Geno///

Reaction Score
\

Huh?

How do you propose they can stop Gabby from driving? Or will they put Jones on Collier? You think Jones can defend either?

Why would you think Lou couldn't do better than 8-17 from the floor and 4-11 from 3? What is that they did in this game that affected her shot so much and with her being so sick, why do you think they can do better n her when she is healthy?

Reaction Score
You press for two reasons.

1-- Is to speed up the game
2-- You press so you can force the other team ot take several seconds more off the shot clock hoping it takes them a little longer to set up the half court offense.

Brenda did the 2nd option above.

In your opinion your strategy might work depending on how sick the UCONN players were. But imo it wouldn't work and is way too much of a risk. IMO you are way overrating "depth" and underrating "quality." UCONN has multiple ball handlers so the chance they got worn down significantly is minimal. Plus BJones is too slow. In the back of the press she's not going to pick off any passes. UCONN would always have an easy outlet. If the ball ever got to the top of the key or foul line, BJones would be at the mercy of multiple players attacking her at the back of a zone. You are putting her on an island/ high risk. Unless you don't think it that important BJones is in the game?

And secondly I'm sure UCONN would have loved Md to play their halfcourt sets without Slocum. That's what you'd be doing because if MD goes full court press trying to utilize "pressure." Slocum would have to be out for quite a while in order to keep up the intensity of the press. If you have a bunch of second stringers in there without their pg. I believe UConn would welcome that option. How are they going to run their offense effectively when they have most of their bench in without their top pg?

Plus you are inviting UCONN to beat the press with the 3ball. What did they say last night about UCONN's shooting the 3? Is it 4th in the nation? The press opens the 3 ball plus it opens the opportunity for the many passers/ ball handlers on UCONN to put potential foul trouble on BJones now that a she is left alone in the back on an island.

Uconn tends to use option 3 of the press---to get them to play faster, and thus create turnovers for easy scores. Muffet uses it to shake up the weaker (usually Frosh) players and tie them up or steal the ball . (is that option 4?)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The game yesterday was a game of survival . UConn had 7 players, two were in foul trouble, and at least one was sick. Maryland played a few minutes of up tempo ball and scored easily. They have several athletic guards... Charles,Walker Kimbrough, Watson, and Slocum. A man to man press did not have to force turnovers, it could have worn the guards down, and gotten a charge or two. Watson got a key steal at the end of the second quarter pressing.... it might have been a 4 or 5 point swing in the halftime score.
Don't think so. Watson got a steal and a layup from a UCONN side out of bounds on a poor pass by Kia she was not pressing because she was behind KLS in the UCONN half of the court when the play started. The swing was 2 points.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Let me tell you something about Ms Fraser-she is defensively indifferent, a major buzz kill, and a poor teammate. when the replay video gets posted you will see why I say this. At the 2:38 mark of the fourth quarter the lead was 7 and MD had two consecutive stops and and opportunity to cut into the lead. When UCONN got possession you need to watch Fraser closely because she literally takes herself out of the play and gives up a layup to Napheesa. Fraser was not screened on the play Napheesa just cut the basket. Fraser recovered in time but did nothing to prevent the layup. Fraser then turned around and started yelling at her teammate (Charles?) like it was her fault. Brenda correctly call a timeout and promptly yanked Fraser out of the game. I'm not advocating violence or any players getting hurt, but if you are trying to win that game Napheesa ends up on her butt and has to go to the foul line to earn those two points.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
This system worked for years for Tennessee - only the LVs played better defense. I'm talking vintage Lady Vols, not the current edition.
You are absolutely correct...
It wont have much success against the current leader of the pack though.. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom