Why did Maryland lose the Game? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why did Maryland lose the Game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The most overused word on women's basketball fora is "if."

"If" blah blah blah, FSU beats UConn! Huskies are extremely vulnerable!
"If" blah blah blah, Baylor beats UConn! They're extremely vulnerable!
"If" blah blah blah, ND beats UConn! They're extremely vulnerable!
"If" blah blah blah, OSU beats UConn! They're extremely vulnerable!
"If" blah blah blah, Md beats UConn! Ditto, ditto, ditto.

If, if, if...

YAWN!!!

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
Once again you are dwelling on the negative.
Slocum was 5 for 10 on three point shots, the rest of the MD team was 0 for 10. Electrifying-She was. Hurting the team-She was not!
If you don't run offense and involve ALL your players you are hurting them..
taking threes early in a shot clock without passing the ball is all good when they go in.. but you are letting the opposing team off the hook by not making them expound more energy on defense.. especially since the leading scorer was ill.. and UCONN's bench was short before foul trouble but even shorter with it... this is why Geno is a much better coach than most..
I am not dwelling on it, I'm just stating that I am not impressed with a team who is suppose to be a contender for a NC this year.. Matter of a fact I hope they never figure it out, one less team for me to worry about.. :)

Reaction Score
I think Brenda, unfortunately, was the reason Maryland lost this game. She should have called a timeout much earlier in UConn's 14-0 run to start the third quarter and she should have had her players go right at both Gabby and Napheesa during the 4th quarter, rather than skirting past both to score easy layups. They both had 4 fouls all during that quarter (I know Napheesa sat for a good chunk), but not taking advantage of that and going hard at them is where Maryland lost this game. In my opinion, it was coaching at the end of the day that lost this game. Maryland played hard and is extremely talented, but if Brenda had put a stop to UConn's 3rd quarter run earlier or fouled out Gabby or fouled out Napheesa earlier than 30 seconds to go, Maryland could have won this game.
Real interesting how so many have a take on why Maryland didn't win and how they could have won. Point of fact: they didn't....but overall they played an extremely competitive game! Uconn prides itself on NOT fouling and Maryland was able to foul-out Collier and came close to doing so in regard to Williams. It would seem as thought they were doing something right...including losing by only 6 points ( not what you'd call a blow-out)!
Anyone who doesn't think the two Maryland freshman ( I repeat "Freshman) aren't special, talented players shouldn't consider themselves vert good judges of WCBB talent. With the players they have, this team is not going to go away ....and will be heard from in the tournament.

Reaction Score
Geno et. al. prepares the team for them opposition's known strengths and usually puts a limit on them, enough control to win.
By its very nature this could and often does create opportunities for other players. You can't focus on everyone. In this case the beneficiary was Slocum, who made the most of it.
It is naive to project her as the next wonder guard with AA in her future.
Case in point, remember last year's ND game when Marina exploded on us, was the star of the game for ND? Funny thing, this year she scored what on us, 3 points?

You may be right about Slocum's game yesterday but she is way more athletic and a much better all around player then any of the Mabrey sisters could ever dream of being..........and that is coming from a NJ Shore Conference fan...................

Reaction Score
I'm at a lost for all the positive comments I'm reading about this years Maryland team..
reading these comments you would think freshman guard Destiny Slocum is the next best thing to slice bread, really? the best point guard for the foreseeable future? Sorry to say I'm not that impressed..

And let's not mention about their defense, if Katie Lou made half of her opened shots in the first half I wondered what the end score would actually be.. How does a defense consistently allow Kia and Lou so many opened looks.. Not impressed at all, I really expected more from them based on last years performance in MSG..

If not for some silly unforced Turnovers from Kia in the first half and self inflicted foul trouble in the second half which enabled them to attack the rim off dribble without fear of being contested, This game would have been a blowout on their home court.. Maryland is no where close to closing the gap on UCONN..

If, if if.....if you want to play the "if game", here are a lot of ifs that I'm sure never crossed your mind.

If Confroy hit a early 3 pointer, she could have gone off for quite a few 3's. She is a good 3 shooter and has hit 7 per game in two separate games. This was one of her worst games and it wasn't because of UConn's defense because she was wide open.

If Maryland's freshmen didn't have so much difficulty on defense, Nurse would not have been so open for uncontested shots.

If KLS wasn't weakened by the bug, she may have been too strong and over shot the basket.

If Destiny opened up in the first half, could have been lights out.

If Maryland attacked Williams and Collier more efficiently, they would have been out of the game completely.

I could go on and on with ifs, but I think you get the idea.

BTW, congrats to most BYers for the win and there is no ifs, ands, or buts about it. I really enjoyed the game but of course, I would have enjoyed it more if Maryland won. Hopefully, Maryland can continue playing this well against top 5 talent in the future. For the better of WBB, they certainly need more games like this.

P.S. How some of you can attack a freshmen like Slocum is amazing to me. Jealousy maybe? She was and is a pass first pg, which is definitely shown in her past games. She even stated she would rather pass than shoot. She does what is needed to win. This game she needed to do more and what better way to close the gap than shoot 3 pointers.

Sent from my iPad

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
Really? You though Brenda was a better coach than Geno? Please, please pass the Bong!
LOL, where did you see me say better than anybody, especially Geno who we all know and love as the best there is..
My better was in reference to herself... :)

Reaction Score
I think Brenda, unfortunately, was the reason Maryland lost this game. She should have called a timeout much earlier in UConn's 14-0 run to start the third quarter and she should have had her players go right at both Gabby and Napheesa during the 4th quarter, rather than skirting past both to score easy layups. They both had 4 fouls all during that quarter (I know Napheesa sat for a good chunk), but not taking advantage of that and going hard at them is where Maryland lost this game. In my opinion, it was coaching at the end of the day that lost this game. Maryland played hard and is extremely talented, but if Brenda had put a stop to UConn's 3rd quarter run earlier or fouled out Gabby or fouled out Napheesa earlier than 30 seconds to go, Maryland could have won this game.

I agree, Brenda was definitely out coached . Maryland had a token 3/4 court press that did almost nothing. They had the depth to press full court and speed up the game. It would have been an easy Maryland win if they did. However, defense has never been their strength. UConn won the game in the 3rd quarter, scoring 32 points. The bottom line is UConn played better defense and won.

Also, Gabby allowed her man to shoot several uncontested lay-ups in the forth quarter... to avoid fouling out. It is ridiculous how the officials allow offensive players to initiate contact and draw a foul. It totally changes the game.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
BTW, congrats to most BYers for the win and there is no ifs, ands, or buts about it.
How some of you can attack a freshmen like Slocum is amazing to me. Jealousy maybe?
This BYer thanks you, and agrees with you mostly. Not even a little bit jealous though-pretty darn happy with our Freshmen PG who can be just a dazzling as Slocum was.

Reaction Score
The most overused word on women's basketball fora is "if."

"If" blah blah blah, FSU beats UConn! Huskies are extremely vulnerable!
"If" blah blah blah, Baylor beats UConn! They're extremely vulnerable!
"If" blah blah blah, ND beats UConn! They're extremely vulnerable!
"If" blah blah blah, OSU beats UConn! They're extremely vulnerable!
"If" blah blah blah, Md beats UConn! Ditto, ditto, ditto.

If, if, if...

YAWN!!!
There is a line that is forming to the right. You also forgot Texas, and perhaps Depaul ("If Kia ... blah blah bla")
Md fans should browse the Baylor message boards after their loss to UConn. Baylor fans need to browse FSU message boards after their loss to UConn, etc.
I would love to see the fans of the above schools debate who's team has the best chance for taking down UConn. Now that would be a record setting use of the word "if", you will ever see.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm at a lost for all the positive comments I'm reading about this years Maryland team..
reading these comments you would think freshman guard Destiny Slocum is the next best thing to slice bread, really? the best point guard for the foreseeable future? Sorry to say I'm not that impressed..

Maryland half court offense is street-ball at best... Can Destiny Shoot? of course she can, Is she confident? absolutely.. But coming down court and jacking up shots without a single pass or with just one pass is not the job of a great point guard.. And if you watched the Maryland post game interview to the end, you would understand that is actually the guidance given to her from her coach... that was so disappointing to hear..

And let's not mention about their defense, if Katie Lou made half of her opened shots in the first half I wondered what the end score would actually be.. How does a defense consistently allow Kia and Lou so many opened looks.. Not impressed at all, I really expected more from them based on last years performance in MSG..

Maryland has "This years dominant Post" Briana Jones, yet her performance some what unnoticeable, why wasn't the offense ran through her? She was basically a rebounder in the game..

If not for some silly unforced Turnovers from Kia in the first half and self inflicted foul trouble in the second half which enabled them to attack the rim off dribble without fear of being contested, This game would have been a blowout on their home court.. Maryland is no where close to closing the gap on UCONN..
This system worked for years for Tennessee - only the LVs played better defense. I'm talking vintage Lady Vols, not the current edition.

Reaction Score
Not a fan of showing support of my team by downplaying the results of the competition. Maryland is very good and so is Slocum. No denying that. Having said that, I do question if the gap has been closed by all that much. MD shot 29% in the first half and only scored 31 points. Slocum only had 4 points in the first half. MD performed better in the second half when it seemed clear UConn foul trouble was making a difference. Still kudos to MD for their aggressiveness causing the officials to make the calls. The crowd was great and made for an entertaining game. UConn won - what's not to like?

Reaction Score
I agree, Brenda was definitely out coached . Maryland had a token 3/4 court press that did almost nothing. They had the depth to press full court and speed up the game. It would have been an easy Maryland win if they did. However, defense has never been their strength. UConn won the game in the 3rd quarter, scoring 32 points. The bottom line is UConn played better defense and won.

Also, Gabby allowed her man to shoot several uncontested lay-ups in the forth quarter... to avoid fouling out. It is ridiculous how the officials allow offensive players to initiate contact and draw a foul. It totally changes the game.

You press for two reasons.

1-- Is to speed up the game
2-- You press so you can force the other team ot take several seconds more off the shot clock hoping it takes them a little longer to set up the half court offense.

Brenda did the 2nd option above.

In your opinion your strategy might work depending on how sick the UCONN players were. But imo it wouldn't work and is way too much of a risk. IMO you are way overrating "depth" and underrating "quality." UCONN has multiple ball handlers so the chance they got worn down significantly is minimal. Plus BJones is too slow. In the back of the press she's not going to pick off any passes. UCONN would always have an easy outlet. If the ball ever got to the top of the key or foul line, BJones would be at the mercy of multiple players attacking her at the back of a zone. You are putting her on an island/ high risk. Unless you don't think it that important BJones is in the game?

And secondly I'm sure UCONN would have loved Md to play their halfcourt sets without Slocum. That's what you'd be doing because if MD goes full court press trying to utilize "pressure." Slocum would have to be out for quite a while in order to keep up the intensity of the press. If you have a bunch of second stringers in there without their pg. I believe UConn would welcome that option. How are they going to run their offense effectively when they have most of their bench in without their top pg?

Plus you are inviting UCONN to beat the press with the 3ball. What did they say last night about UCONN's shooting the 3? Is it 4th in the nation? The press opens the 3 ball plus it opens the opportunity for the many passers/ ball handlers on UCONN to put potential foul trouble on BJones now that a she is left alone in the back on an island.

Last edited:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The question from the onset should have been: Why did UConn win the game?

1. All starters scored double figures
2. Collier & Williams played smarter when saddled with fouls
3. Lou! Never aggrevate a sick dog!
4. Walker-Kimbrough was held in check
5. 14 - 0 run out at the start of the 3rd quarter
6. 20 assist versus 10 turnovers
7. Geno, CD, Shea & Marissa.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I agree, Brenda was definitely out coached . Maryland had a token 3/4 court press that did almost nothing. They had the depth to press full court and speed up the game. It would have been an easy Maryland win if they did. However, defense has never been their strength. UConn won the game in the 3rd quarter, scoring 32 points.
Just one quick serious question, before I strongly dissent. What team has pressed UCONN effectively in the last 2 dacades?
This year's version of the Huskies have 5 quality ball handlers and passers, pressing more than a token would have been suicidal for MD.

Reaction Score
Just one quick serious question, before I strongly dissent. What team has pressed UCONN effectively in the last 2 dacades?
This year's version of the Huskies have 5 quality ball handlers and passers, pressing more than a token would have been suicidal for MD.

I was trying to be diplomatic. But yeah I agree with you.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I thought Destiny is a really good passer and could have had a lot more assists if her teammates could have converted some of the open shots when she passed them the ball. I looked up her stats on the Maryland website and it is quite impressive for a freshman, both on scoring, FG%, 3pt% and assist. There is nobody on the Uconn team with more total assists so far this year than Destiny. I think she has a chance to become AA in her career at Maryland.
Do you think she would have that many assists if Maryland had played as tough a schedule as Uconn has?

Reaction Score

Maryland half court offense is street-ball at best... Can Destiny Shoot? of course she can, Is she confident? absolutely.. But coming down court and jacking up shots without a single pass or with just one pass is not the job of a great point guard.. And if you watched the Maryland post game interview to the end, you would understand that is actually the guidance given to her from her coach... that was so disappointing to hear..

Maryland has "This years dominant Post" Briana Jones, yet her performance some what unnoticeable, why wasn't the offense ran through her? She was basically a rebounder in the game..

Post like this give UCONN fans a bad name. No different from a low brow MD fan.

Reaction Score

The game yesterday was a game of survival . UConn had 7 players, two were in foul trouble, and at least one was sick. Maryland played a few minutes of up tempo ball and scored easily. They have several athletic guards... Charles,Walker Kimbrough, Watson, and Slocum. A man to man press did not have to force turnovers, it could have worn the guards down, and gotten a charge or two. Watson got a key steal at the end of the second quarter pressing.... it might have been a 4 or 5 point swing in the halftime score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom