Why can't we find and develop good big men? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why can't we find and develop good big men?

Reaction Score
Colson of Notre Dame wanted to come here, even called Storrs, KO and his staff pretty much ignored him at first. So after a while Colson bought into ND and Mike Bray, and when KO and staff finally realized that they might have to go and recruit Colson, it was too late.
I'm well aware.

Reaction Score
To me the answer is simple and it's been the same answer for 30 years. At least, the recruiting portion of the question is.

We dont pass to or run plays for the bigs. They rebound, block shots, play defense, etc... and I'm fine with that.

If i were recruiting against us i would say, dont go to UCONN, they never pass to the bigs. And they wouldn't be too far off.

This seems a little overblown to me. When we had offensively-talented bigs under JC, they got their touches. Okafor, Charlie V, even Adrien and Thabeet got plenty of chances in the post. Our recent bigs need to be able to catch the ball before they can be concerned with scoring.

Reaction Score
Dunno, I thought we tried to go through Brimah far too much this year!

Ollie wants to play inside out, but personnel made that very difficult, to the detriment of the team.
Agreed, we went to Brimah a ton. It definitely was a little unusual considering how bad Brimah is offensively, I'm sure KO was hoping it would create some space for Adams and others. Unfortunately, Brimah is just so suspect with the ball.

I suppose we could edit together a video showcasing all the opportunities bigs get in our offense. We could show recruits the 10-15 times per game where we passed the ball to Brimah in the post. Of course we would have to tell recruits to use their imagination and pretend the dude catching the ball actually has a clue how to play basketball. I think it's a winning strategy with new recruits ;-)

Reaction Score
Very concerning topic, I am very concerned moving forward, hopefully we can pickup a grad transfer this offseason that can play on the block and finish around the rim.

Reaction Score
This seems a little overblown to me. When we had offensively-talented bigs under JC, they got their touches. Okafor, Charlie V, even Adrien and Thabeet got plenty of chances in the post. Our recent bigs need to be able to catch the ball before they can be concerned with scoring.
Yeah, you could be right. I might be exagerating a bit. There are some offensive bright spots in our past.

Reaction Score
Give me a Jake Voskhul and I would be very happy.
Don't need a prolific scorer that needs the ball.
Right, hence the problem. We have all seen non highly recruited sturdy slow footed bigs with good hands and basic footwork that we covet because we know that if they box out, make a layup, pass out of a double team, execute a basic pick and roll and hold onto the ball our guards are so good that our offense can excel. Aside from some flashes now and then we haven't had that. I think that Enoch is going to be one of those guys and if Cobb can be another we can fake the rest.

Reaction Score

Yep, they were able to run some offense even through Hasheem by his junior year, much better with the ball and scoring it too.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if KO has the correct approach when recruiting centers. I think some others have pointed out that KO is going after very high profile recruits and missing out on very get-able guys. I'm not completely in that camp, but this may be the case with centers. We spent almost a year going after that dude that ended up at Maryland for one year. We would of probably wasted his low post skill even if we got him. We should be targeting lesser tier guys, but hopefully physically capable guys. I have a hard time believing we still can't land the Jake Voskuhl's of the world. That type of player should be our focus when it comes to centers.

Reaction Score
Clyde Vaughn. The quality of our bigs has gone down hill since he left. We had Andre Frikken Drummond one of the most talented big men to come along and he did nothing here. Thats on coaching.

Reaction Score
To me the answer is simple and it's been the same answer for 30 years. At least, the recruiting portion of the question is.

We dont pass to or run plays for the bigs. They rebound, block shots, play defense, etc... and I'm fine with that.

If i were recruiting against us i would say, dont go to UCONN, they never pass to the bigs. And they wouldn't be too far off.

This isn't remotely accurate. Go back and watch those Calhoun teams with Boone, Armstrong, Okafor, Villanueva. I think you'd be shocked at how involved in the offense the bigs were. I've watched more than a handful of the '06 team's games this season and the ball movement among the bigs was pretty extraordinary.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Boone was a pretty heady player court awareness wise. Didnt have the raw talent of a CV but he was a very crafty, savvy player.

Reaction Score
Clyde Vaughn. The quality of our bigs has gone down hill since he left. We had Andre Frikken Drummond one of the most talented big men to come along and he did nothing here. Thats on coaching.

Drummond was much more raw than I think most of us anticipated. Our staff had what, 8 months on campus with him? Not enough time to make an impact. He wasn't going to be much more than a dunker, rebounder and shotblocker for us. Especially with so many teams packing in a 2-3 zone against him.

Reaction Score
we have certainly taken some gambles that have been misses, Lubin. Hoping Enoch improves somewhat. If these bigs arent improving at all, i think its time to cut the coach supposedly trying to develop them.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm not sure if KO has the correct approach when recruiting centers. I think some others have pointed out that KO is going after very high profile recruits and missing out on very get-able guys. I'm not completely in that camp, but this may be the case with centers. We spent almost a year going after that dude that ended up at Maryland for one year. We would of probably wasted his low post skill even if we got him. We should be targeting lesser tier guys, but hopefully physically capable guys. I have a hard time believing we still can't land the Jake Voskuhl's of the world. That type of player should be our focus when it comes to centers.

I think there is some merit to this. I don't want him to stop trying to get big time, future NBA big men. But I do think there is a role on any college team for a savvy, skilled but not super athletic big man who can rebound, defend the rim, make layups or dunk and pass out of a double team. Teams of much lower stature than ours seem to be able to get these guys. To sum it up, UConn tends to recruit athletes over basketball players (it prefers both of course, but those are the top recruits). At some positions, that has worked well. At center and PF I think you need to go the other way and emphasize skill over athletic upside.

Reaction Score
He wasn't going to be much more than a dunker, rebounder and shotblocker for us. Especially with so many teams packing in a 2-3 zone against him.

With his size and athleticism that shouldve been more than enough on the college level to put up a double double a game EASY!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Agreed, we went to Brimah a ton. It definitely was a little unusual considering how bad Brimah is offensively, I'm sure KO was hoping it would create some space for Adams and others. Unfortunately, Brimah is just so suspect with the ball.

I suppose we could edit together a video showcasing all the opportunities bigs get in our offense. We could show recruits the 10-15 times per game where we passed the ball to Brimah in the post. Of course we would have to tell recruits to use their imagination and pretend the dude catching the ball actually has a clue how to play basketball. I think it's a winning strategy with new recruits ;-)

Hahah. That's a funny pitch. "Look, this is why we need you. You can actually play basketball and our offense would look passable if you came here".

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Right, hence the problem. We have all seen non highly recruited sturdy slow footed bigs with good hands and basic footwork that we covet because we know that if they box out, make a layup, pass out of a double team, execute a basic pick and roll and hold onto the ball our guards are so good that our offense can excel. Aside from some flashes now and then we haven't had that. I think that Enoch is going to be one of those guys and if Cobb can be another we can fake the rest.

Remember though, Jake didn't become Jake til junior year. He was suspect at best his first few years. I remember yelling at the TV a fair bit.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I think there is some merit to this. I don't want him to stop trying to get big time, future NBA big men. But I do think there is a role on any college team for a savvy, skilled but not super athletic big man who can rebound, defend the rim, make layups or dunk and pass out of a double team. Teams of much lower stature than ours seem to be able to get these guys. To sum it up, UConn tends to recruit athletes over basketball players (it prefers both of course, but those are the top recruits). At some positions, that has worked well. At center and PF I think you need to go the other way and emphasize skill over athletic upside.

The corollary is that they seemed to have 'sold out' to the higher end prospects, leaving emphasis on second tier guys lacking. So they end up with 3rd and 4th tier crap shoots. I'd like them to shoot for the stars, yes, but also go hard after those 2nd tier guys. Pair them with stud guards, and they have something.

Reaction Score
With his size and athleticism that shouldve been more than enough on the college level to put up a double double a game EASY!

He averaged 10 & 8, not exactly far off from a double-double. Do you really think sub-par coaching is the reason he didn't grab two more boards per game?

That UConn team was pretty loaded with individual talent, there was no need for him to get a ton of post touches, his game wasn't that refined outside of dunking the ball. He had some really awkward and ugly post moves that year. On the other end of the floor, he was competing with Oriakhi and Roscoe on the glass not to mention Lamb of all people was our second leading rebounder.

Reaction Score
When that 2006 team was locked in they were terrifying.
That was a team of grown men but they weren't always locked in, knew they could go on a 14-0 run whenever they wanted. That team was one guard/ballhandler away from being the best college basketball team of the last 20 years.

Reaction Score
That was a team of grown men but they weren't always locked in, knew they could go on a 14-0 run whenever they wanted. That team was one guard/ballhandler away from being the best college basketball team of the last 20 years.

If AJ never had those health or law issues that might have been our best team ever. An in-shape, sophomore AJ backing up Williams was exactly what that '06 team needed. Could you imagine of Charlie stuck around for one more year too?

Reaction Score
If AJ never had those health or law issues that might have been our best team ever. An in-shape, sophomore AJ backing up Williams was exactly what that '06 team needed.
Yup and we would have another national title.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
If AJ never had those health or law issues that might have been our best team ever. An in-shape, sophomore AJ backing up Williams was exactly what that '06 team needed. Could you imagine of Charlie stuck around for one more year too?

Would have been tough to beat 04 and 99. No one on 06 could hang with Ben or Mek.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom