Why aren't we a better team this year? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why aren't we a better team this year?

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
There are no great teams, this year. A half-dozen or so teams have a legitimate shot to win the national championship. UConn is one of them. Chill.

Reaction Score
Your post expresses exactly my feeling: I don't enjoy watching games this year. Most of you seem content that the team is winning. Who isn't? Did you really think we couldn't beat USF? But the pleasure of watching basketball played at the highest level is gone. Geno would be the first to say that winning isn't the whole object, playing well is as important. He's never happy watching the mess this team often seems to be--win or lose. After Baylor, Coach said he didn't think the offense could be so bad.
No one can say at this point if the team will become what U Conn has always been. It's difficult to see this group winning the NC under the present circumstances. Past disappointments have been the result of the Huskies not playing their best, but this team's "best" may not be able to compensate for its shortcomings. The thought of Lou and 'Pheesa graduating is too painful to contemplate because there's not much waiting in the wings.
I know you all prefer upbeat posts; sometimes they're hard to generate. Sorry.
I still enjoy watching the games, but I agree that the team is not playing their best.
Sometimes a team will take a step back in order to take two steps forward as adjustments and changes are made. Any golfers out there? A change usually means inconsistency at first.
I'm not seeing changes though. I want to see some changes.
I was there yesterday. I actually belted encouragement to Crystal to, "pressure her". (sorry I have a loud coach's voice) Maybe a little obnoxious, but I swear, I think she heard me.
*we need to pressure the ball
*if beat, the help slides over.
*we can deny the wings with our length (Katie's not quick, but she's long)
*GET IN FRONT OF THE POST!! (sorry about yelling)
make them throw the ball over top of us. helpside slides over.
will we give up a couple of layups- YES!!
The overall effect is that the opposing offense has to move further out to run their offense.
Defense forces the tempo to speed up, which is always to UConn's advantage; steals, turnovers, fast break opportunities.
*Lastly, and I promise this is my last attempt to make this point- We must penetrate the opposing defense to truly get the shots we want. All open 20 footers are not the same. You cannot take a 20 footer until you have made the defense move: examples- post entry pass, swinging the ball to the other side of the court, and the best of all, dribble penetration. This concept also creates 2nd and 3rd shots because defense is out of position. So often we do not force the defense to move.

Reaction Score
This is dead on. We are not forcing turnovers which lead to easy fast break points. Looking Kia and Gabby and adding a novice in CW is really evident. Now thats not CW fault, she will learn and become a great husky.

The other thing that single handedly has killed us is AS bolting for the pro's. I think AS leaving will directly cause us not to win the NC this year.

I think when you combine the two points I mentioned above its causing us not to be the uconn team we want it to be....

Not sure if UConn is playing bad defense. Let's keep in focus that we're really short. KLS isn't supposed to be playing under the basket, but she's been forced to. So when she gets a rebound, which she wasn't required to get in the past, she's far away from the basket and the fast break. That slows everyone down.

And the lack of height resulted in Baylor's getting 52 points in the paint versus 10 for UConn. And that's what we all feared.

The simple truth is that other teams have recruited much of the best talent out there, including all of the best bigs, and UConn just isn't as competitive as they were in the past. Geno magic only goes so far. And with two great players leaving and just one previously hurt HS kid coming in, we should be prepared for a tough year.

It's not some lack of chemistry. ONO is all we've got underneath, while other teams have McGowan and Charli Collier and Brianna Turner and Shakira Austin.

Let's hope for better recruiting results in the fall, and for Coach Geno to retain the fire in the belly he needs for one more golden epoch!

MTC

Reaction Score
Your post expresses exactly my feeling: I don't enjoy watching games this year. Most of you seem content that the team is winning. Who isn't? Did you really think we couldn't beat USF? But the pleasure of watching basketball played at the highest level is gone. Geno would be the first to say that winning isn't the whole object, playing well is as important. He's never happy watching the mess this team often seems to be--win or lose. After Baylor, Coach said he didn't think the offense could be so bad.
No one can say at this point if the team will become what U Conn has always been. It's difficult to see this group winning the NC under the present circumstances. Past disappointments have been the result of the Huskies not playing their best, but this team's "best" may not be able to compensate for its shortcomings. The thought of Lou and 'Pheesa graduating is too painful to contemplate because there's not much waiting in the wings.
I know you all prefer upbeat posts; sometimes they're hard to generate. Sorry.
There would be no pleasure if we won every game 100-30. It would be boring and have little excitement. The thrill of victory comes from being tested and overcoming the opponent.

Reaction Score
No condemnation meant or implied. I'm simply responding to CL82's comment above. IMO, it’s because the talent and maturity of the two senior starters that graduated was not replaced (or matched) by the two new underclassmen starters. Gabby and Kia were seniors playing at the top of their game last year.

The magic and chemistry they had last year has not been recaptured to this point. They were replaced by a sophomore who is just now coming into her own, and a freshman that has hit the wall (a rite of passage), and is still learning and trying to figure things out, ergo, no consistent chemistry that they can build off of. Chemistry is a funny thing. I love Christyn, and support her (and the team) 100%. I'll take whatever comes. I'm enjoying the season and the ride. My expectations for THIS team was not that high to begin with. I'm just calling it like I see it.

Remember when KML was out for 12 games with her shoulder injury? Brianna Banks and Gabby Williams were used as replacement starters in her spot until she returned. The chemistry was not the same until she returned. Stewie mentioned that during an interview.

Christyn and Megan at this point are not able to play the tight shut down defense that Gabby and Kia had mastered. The defense that allowed UConn to post 30-40 pt. mov's. This unit has its own chemistry, but not like that of last year’s team, and it may not be good enough to beat the elite teams (Baylor/ND, Oregon, etc) in the tournament. That we'll have to see. Players on this team are taking turns stepping up game by game. Yesterday is was Collier. In the Tulane game it was Walker. Lou had an "off" game against Temple not scoring in the 1st half.

This team's defense is not nearly as good, which is the reason for the number of easy and uncontested baskets allowed, and the decline in the number of steals and fast breaks they've had thus far. The opponents are getting too many offensive rebounds that they are cashing in. How much better do you think this team would be if Gabby and Kia walked through the door and suited up for the next game, and for the rest of the season, and Christyn and Megan came off the bench? Yeah, that's right. Final 4 for sure. ;) Our girls are doing the best they can. Let's hope it's good enough. Keep hope alive.

CL, you and I for the most part are looking at this through the same lens. Your post is spot on.
Plebe: You write as I hope when I grow up I shall be capable of doing.

Every thing you said about Gabby and Kia is exactly right, no doubt.
Even if it is only speculation.
I have an emotional fit when you, me or others make comparisons that can never come to pass. Kia and Gabby are GONE. Megan and CW are here.
They are Frosh and Sophs and you are comparing them to Seniors--don't you think they may exceed Kia and Gabby when they are seniors?
I apologize in advance. This my hangup not your's. To me it' s like EDD's departure and speculation of what her presence with Stewie would have produced--interesting, but never would happen. Why waste time on never was and spend time on what is actually on the floor (which you do).

Reaction Score
If you don't enjoy it and the pleasure is gone, why are you still watching the games? There must be some good movies on.

I tried watching a movie the other day but the guy was so busy trying to score that he made a bunch of bad passes too.............:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Not sure if UConn is playing bad defense. Let's keep in focus that we're really short. KLS isn't supposed to be playing under the basket, but she's been forced to. So when she gets a rebound, which she wasn't required to get in the past, she's far away from the basket and the fast break. That slows everyone down.

And the lack of height resulted in Baylor's getting 52 points in the paint versus 10 for UConn. And that's what we all feared.

The simple truth is that other teams have recruited much of the best talent out there, including all of the best bigs, and UConn just isn't as competitive as they were in the past. Geno magic only goes so far. And with two great players leaving and just one previously hurt HS kid coming in, we should be prepared for a tough year.

It's not some lack of chemistry. ONO is all we've got underneath, while other teams have McGowan and Charli Collier and Brianna Turner and Shakira Austin.

Let's hope for better recruiting results in the fall, and for Coach Geno to retain the fire in the belly he needs for one more golden epoch!
I agree with all of this except Geno's Magic. Maybe he had some maybe not. As a young coach , some players implied they came to be coached by the handsome guy--magic??
This issue this year, and I'm stealing this is that Marisa bailed out in the recruiting season, Shea was pregnant and couldn't travel, Geno had the coaches tour obligation to pump up Uconn sports.
So, POSSIBLY, some potential recruits were not stroked as often as they would like--begged to be a Uconn etc --had enough Uconn at their games--so if USC showed up early and often a connection happened and Uconn lost out---It's not about magic---it's about travel, travel, travel, travel, massage, massage, massage. And it's getting harder

Reaction Score
There would be no pleasure if we won every game 100-30. It would be boring and have little excitement. The thrill of victory comes from being tested and overcoming the opponent.
Those that complain about close games would not have accepted the Men's teams of the 60's and 70's wins were squeekers if at all. A win wasn't anywhere near being certain--a loss more so. But me and few hundred fans filled the field house hoping for that win. That was great basketball played by STUDENT athletes--not a number 1 in the bunch.

Reaction Score
UConn has no inside presence defensively. Teams like Miss State and Baylor will make it a point to attack the paint. Notre Dame would’ve won if they had made it a point to get it there.

Reaction Score
UConn has no inside presence defensively. Teams like Miss State and Baylor will make it a point to attack the paint. Notre Dame would’ve won if they had made it a point to get it there.
That’s why our D has to swarm more- more pressure and traps. We can hide Katie Lou somewhere, like a center fielder laying for steals like her number-sake Larry Bird used to do.

Reaction Score
I still enjoy watching the games, but I agree that the team is not playing their best.
Sometimes a team will take a step back in order to take two steps forward as adjustments and changes are made. Any golfers out there? A change usually means inconsistency at first.
I'm not seeing changes though. I want to see some changes.
I was there yesterday. I actually belted encouragement to Crystal to, "pressure her". (sorry I have a loud coach's voice) Maybe a little obnoxious, but I swear, I think she heard me.
*we need to pressure the ball
*if beat, the help slides over.
*we can deny the wings with our length (Katie's not quick, but she's long)
*GET IN FRONT OF THE POST!! (sorry about yelling)
make them throw the ball over top of us. helpside slides over.
will we give up a couple of layups- YES!!
The overall effect is that the opposing offense has to move further out to run their offense.
Defense forces the tempo to speed up, which is always to UConn's advantage; steals, turnovers, fast break opportunities.
*Lastly, and I promise this is my last attempt to make this point- We must penetrate the opposing defense to truly get the shots we want. All open 20 footers are not the same. You cannot take a 20 footer until you have made the defense move: examples- post entry pass, swinging the ball to the other side of the court, and the best of all, dribble penetration. This concept also creates 2nd and 3rd shots because defense is out of position. So often we do not force the defense to move.
#12 - Appreciate the common sense Defensive & Offensive approaches - but, be careful, there are some here that may agree with you! And just maybe, give our one true "Post", a bit more court time:eek:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We are counting on underclassmen to pick up where our upperclassmen and graduates left off. Our underclassmen are inexperienced. In the past UConn has always had a nucleus of upperclassman with the top HS players coming off the bench and working into the rotation. This year they dont. This year MW CW ONO Molly Kyla and Coombs dont have the experience. We caught a break with height when Butler and Z came to UConn. We caught a bad break when Z turned pro last season. We would be a great team with Z this season. With our lack of experience we are relying on Lou and Collier and CD and opponents know that so they leave the others almost unguarded and they havent shot the ball well. Lou Phessa and CD our blanketed and imo rushing and forcing shots because everybody else has not been consistency shooting and scoring like we know they can. Consistency is lacking because of lack of experience.

Now we saw MW put on a show last week and Collier and CD light it up yesterday. We saw CW light up ND. We also saw ONO come in and not get in foul trouble. Molly and Kyla have looked good. Proof we are improving and getting better but understand it takes time. When we are hitting on all cylinders and when opponents are forced to guard all 5 starters we will see a much better UConn team. We have the talent, we have the coaching now its just a matter of time. Be patient it will happen. Louisville will be a really good test to show us where we are.

Reaction Score
#12 - Appreciate the common sense Defensive & Offensive approaches - but, be careful, there are some here that may agree with you! And just maybe, give our one true "Post", a bit more court time:eek:
I hear ya. I wish she was stronger! What the heck was that that she did at Notre Dame. She was a beast. That block on Mabry was one of our defensive plays of the year.

Reaction Score
I hear ya. I wish she was stronger! What the heck was that that she did at Notre Dame. She was a beast. That block on Mabry was one of our defensive plays of the year.
Yep - she'll get stronger but needs playing time. We're reminded by many on here, and by Geno, that "Z" left us in the lurch by leaving early. While not voicing it here, I've wondered exactly why she left early. Would love to have a cup of coffee with her, and find out why. But, it wouldn't suprise this UCONN fan, if, after all the excellent performances she had against our toughest opponents last year, she was a bit frustrated with not being on the court at key points last year (don't mean to re-open a can of worms, but, can you say, Notre Dame, semi-final). I for one, think she may have been the diffference if left in the game during the second half. And, perhaps, just maybe, she felt the same. Again, realize that Geno is as good as they come, but, just maybe....and, do believe his loyalty to his veteran players gets the best of him at times.
We need a post presence....Liv has the skill set, and athleticism...she just needs court time! Let's hope she gets it.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This made me look at Gabby's highlights from last year - so aggressive and disruptive...sigh:

Sigh........I miss Gabby & Kia for lots of reasons. :(

Reactions: MTC
Reaction Score
Per other posters, while we do not have a true inside presence, we do have 3-4 of the best players in the US. Suspect by end of the year, Geno will have figured out how to develop a system that fits their skills versus trying to fit them into a UConn scheme that was originally developed based on a very different mix of skills

Reaction Score
Jumping in here, remembering how it takes some players longer to make major contributions; Danger breaking out early, then having to wait to make a similar, or consistent contribution. But CW had that great game against ND, the difference maker that night. Then she plays 14 minutes against Temple, two less than ONO; what was that about? I'd love to think Geno was just resting her because of the arduous road trip. When I take over the team I'll tell Williams to attack, dish and have fun. But don't forget defense. Maybe later.
Most of you have inflated expectations from CW. She had a great game because she got hot along with the fact that ND's guards are and were especially not very good defensively. Arik especially plays little defense. It is all about match ups. She is really not especially great at creating her shots when faced with focused and quick defenders. She is more of an opportunist that will take advantage of space created by defensive mistakes. Good defensive teams like Baylor will create problems for Uconn especially. Which is why she ended up with so few shot attempts. She can be locked down by good defensive play from the right type of defender.

MTC

Reaction Score
Per other posters, while we do not have a true inside presence, we do have 3-4 of the best players in the US. Suspect by end of the year, Geno will have figured out how to develop a system that fits their skills versus trying to fit them into a UConn scheme that was originally developed based on a very different mix of skills
Lets keep our fingers crossed just in case.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Nah, Notre Dame did make it a point to get it there and Collier was simply outplaying Shepard.

Miss State and Baylor are maybe the only two teams that can really exploit that weakness because the sheer size of Brown and McCowan can overwhelm UConn's defenders.

I think UConn can handle most anyone in the 6'3 and under bracket. And even with the very big players, yes UConn will be a deficit defensively but UConn can also use their quickness advantage.

Oregon pick-and-rolled McCowan to death. Maybe Vic has figured out a new way to handle that, but it looked to be a pretty big weak spot.

Reaction Score
Nah, Notre Dame did make it a point to get it there and Collier was simply outplaying Shepard.

Miss State and Baylor are maybe the only two teams that can really exploit that weakness because the sheer size of Brown and McCowan can overwhelm UConn's defenders.

I think UConn can handle most anyone in the 6'3 and under bracket. And even with the very big players, yes UConn will be a deficit defensively but UConn can also use their quickness advantage.

Oregon pick-and-rolled McCowan to death. Maybe Vic has figured out a new way to handle that, but it looked to be a pretty big weak spot.
Nice!
I wish we used more of an NBA offense with dribble penetration and dish and pick and rolls.
Maybe Phees will have her jumper back on track by then and we can exploit the big girls weaknesses.

Reaction Score
Yep - she'll get stronger but needs playing time. We're reminded by many on here, and by Geno, that "Z" left us in the lurch by leaving early. While not voicing it here, I've wondered exactly why she left early. Would love to have a cup of coffee with her, and find out why. But, it wouldn't suprise this UCONN fan, if, after all the excellent performances she had against our toughest opponents last year, she was a bit frustrated with not being on the court at key points last year (don't mean to re-open a can of worms, but, can you say, Notre Dame, semi-final). I for one, think she may have been the diffference if left in the game during the second half. And, perhaps, just maybe, she felt the same. Again, realize that Geno is as good as they come, but, just maybe....and, do believe his loyalty to his veteran players gets the best of him at times.
We need a post presence....Liv has the skill set, and athleticism...she just needs court time! Let's hope she gets it.

She left to pursue her career, which due to physical stress, possible injury and age catching up, is by definition short. She had done all she needed to do to prove herself a top talent. Spending an extra year in college to help her college team, while forgoing a six-figure income- beginning in the summer in the WNBA and continuing with the big bucks overseas- would have been nice, but unfair to her future.

At the end of the day, these top athletes need to make money while they can, and while hoping that they avoid career-ending injury. It would have been great to have her this year, but she has to look out for #1.

I understand.

Reaction Score
She left to pursue her career, which due to physical stress, possible injury and age catching up, is by definition short. She had done all she needed to do to prove herself a top talent. Spending an extra year in college to help her college team, while forgoing a six-figure income- beginning in the summer in the WNBA and continuing with the big bucks overseas- would have been nice, but unfair to her future.

At the end of the day, these top athletes need to make money while they can, and while hoping that they avoid career-ending injury. It would have been great to have her this year, but she has to look out for #1.

I understand.
Great narrative but IMO overstated as it applies to a woman playing basketball. Like a stock, buy or sell, she should have held pat, in order to reap bigger dividends after this year.
Is there a better environment in the world than UConn to hone your craft? IMO the one thing that everyone can agree on, even in the BY, is that the Geno system at UConn prepares players for professional basketball.
I honestly think she took a short-cut and I am by no means rooting against her, the short-cut might have consequences.
Happens yearly in the men's game, but because it is so prevalent, we ignore it. Think of the solid college players that leave, go to the NBA, and sort of disappear. They could have matured at the college level.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Me too. Stevens' early departure also plays a part in this team's dilemma. IMO, UConn would be in a much better position this season if Stevens was still here.

"it wouldn't surprise this UCONN fan, if, after all the excellent performances she had against our toughest opponents last year, she was a bit frustrated with not being on the court at key points last year (don't mean to re-open a can of worms, but, can you say, Notre Dame, semi-final). I for one, think she may have been the difference if left in the game during the second half. And, perhaps, just maybe, she felt the same." I thought the same thing!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom