Why aren't we a better team this year? | The Boneyard

Why aren't we a better team this year?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Don't get me wrong, we are a one loss, likely elite 8 or better team. That's nothing to complain about, but it just doesn't feel like UConn basketball.

The things that feel (and I am purposely writing this without looking at stats) wrong are:

1. Lack of ball movement
2. Bad passes
3. Steals by opposing team
4. Missed uncontested shots/lay ups.

So what's the cause? Is it

a. Two underclassmen in the starting lineup?
b. Lack of subs?
c. Lack of a true center?

As we all things, it's probably a bit of each. Because Megan and Christyn are younger the big three may have less confidence in them. I've seen CD look off Williams a lot this year. If you are playing 5 on 3 or 5 on 4 your offense is going to struggle. Plus underclassmen, especially freshmen, tend to focus less on defense. Good defense leads to breakaways for easy baskets. Add more of those in and we are looking a lot more like UConn basketball.

With less playing time they both may be a bit a tight when they go for a shot, so they miss easy shots. A big post cleaning up those misses would make those misses less noticeable and less costly. She'd also make it more fluid since she'd be an easy target and she could more easily pass over defenders to find players cutting for basket for easy shots.

We've always had a short bench, but this year we've struggled to get meaningful minutes from them. Even with kids as well conditioned as ours, that has to be taking a toll.

Let me sum up by saying I get that we only have one loss to really good Baylor team that was a miserable match up for us, but something isn't quite right. I'd be curious to hear what others are seeing.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
No condemnation meant or implied. I'm simply responding to CL82's comment above. I'm just calling it like I see it. We are counting on inexperienced underclassmen to pick up where our upperclassmen and graduates left off. Gabby and Kia had over 100 games under their belt at the beginning of their final season. They were seniors playing at the top of their game last year. Walker and Williams have not come anywhere near reaching their potential yet.

The magic and chemistry UConn had last year has not been recaptured to this point. The graduates were replaced by a sophomore who is just now beginning to come into her own, and a freshman that has hit the wall (a rite of passage), and is still learning and trying to figure things out, ergo, no consistent chemistry that they can build off of. At times, it's like it's three on five. Why do freshmen hit the wall in January? Why not during other months?

Chemistry is a funny thing. I love Christyn, and support her (and the team) 100%. I'll take whatever comes. I'm enjoying the season and the ride. My expectations for THIS team was not that high to begin with. Megan and Christyn were not expected to come in and make us forget about Gabby and Kia.

Geno mentioned in his post game presser that another reason that the team is not running as smoothly as it did last year is because Kia and Gabby were potent targets for an assist. Gabby also lead the team in assists. A function that Crystal has had to assume along with being the floor general.

Remember when KML was out for 12 games with her shoulder injury? Brianna Banks and Gabby Williams were used as replacement starters in her spot until she returned. The chemistry of the starting unit was not the same until she returned. Stewie mentioned that dynamic during an interview.

Christyn and Megan at this point are not able to play the tight shut down defense that Gabby and Kia had mastered. Last year's defense allowed UConn to post 30-40 pt. mov's. THIS unit cannot do that. This unit has its own chemistry, but not like that of last year’s team, and it may not be good enough to beat the elite teams (Baylor/ND, Oregon, etc) in the tournament. That we'll have to see. Players on this team are taking turns stepping up game by game. Yesterday is was Collier. In the Tulane game it was Walker. Lou had an "off" game against Temple not scoring in the 1st half. Napheesa and Lou are the only starters that have been consistent.

Consistency continues to elude Huskies
"UConn came into Saturday’s game on the heels of one of its best defensive performances of the season, but the Huskies were unable to replicate it. With shooting issues still plaguing them and defensive highs and lows, they’ve had a hard time stringing together consistent performances in the past month."

“We didn’t do very well today,” Collier said. “We had a lot of turnovers and defensively they got a lot of points in the paint so there’s definitely a lot of things we need to work on. So we need to just continue to build on that. I’m sure it’s frustrating on the coaches, as well as ourselves, that these things keep happening so I think we’re probably going to drill it the next couple of weeks in practice.”

Azura Stevens' decision not to return this year didn't help matters either. They do not have a rim protector, and their defense of the paint is weak. Opponents are getting far too many offensive rebounds that are turned into second chance points.

How much better do you think this team would be right now if Gabby and Kia walked through the door and suited up for the next game, and for the rest of the season, and Christyn and Megan came off the bench? Yeah, that's right. Final 4 for sure. ;) I think THAT answers your question. Our girls are doing the best they can. Let's hope it's good enough. Keep hope alive.

CL, you and I for the most part are looking at this through the same lens. Your post is spot on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
IMO, it’s because the talent and maturity of the two starters that graduated was not replaced by the two new starters. CL, you and I for the most part are looking at this through the same lens.
Division One game play isn't given by injection. Megan played not so much last year with the big guys. CW is a huge talent, we mustn't forget that. Yet, experience, with all that has been thrown at her, is still required. Stewie is the example--folded after 8 games then came roaring back after teaching and not being required to WiN games.
ONO is coming along nicely--she won't win an NC next month, maybe in April?? CW the same is true.
A top team must have 5 starters 3 or 4 bench player that sub well--the next year they become the starters--that didn't happen with this team. No continuity

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The points made are fair when compared to the last 5 years. However 2 years ago, we experienced unbelievable growth from Sophs KLS, Pheesa and from Junior Gabby Williams, all of which was sort of unexpected. That season was phenomenal and it should not be “used as a normal” evolution. What we are seeing from the 3 young players (MW, CW, ONO) is normal for talented players in UConn’s system. The best comp is ND and how little impact their freshman have had learning their system. Remember we are talking about elite offensive programs and at UConn, defense is even more emphasized than at ND so the curve is steeper. CW may have hit that freshman wall, Stewie and Lou both hit given their minutes and then they both finished strong. The goal is to be peaking come March and with what we have seen from MW and ONO and even Molly, it’s looking better. We have a few good games coming up with UCF and Louisville to see the true progression.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Don't get me wrong, we are a one loss, likely elite 8 or better team. That's nothing to complain about, but it just doesn't feel like UConn basketball.

The things that feel (and I am purposely writing this without looking at stats) wrong are:

1. Lack of ball movement
2. Bad passes

b. Lack of subs?

As we all things, it's probably a bit of each. Because Megan and Christyn are younger the big three may have less confidence in them. I've seen CD look off Williams a lot this year. If you are playing 5 on 3 or 5 on 4 your offense is going to struggle. Plus underclassmen, especially freshmen, tend to focus less on defense. Good defense leads to breakaways for easy baskets. Add more of those in and we are looking a lot more like UConn basketball.

With less playing time they both may be a bit a tight when they go for a shot, so they miss easy shots. A big post cleaning up those misses would make those misses less noticeable and less costly. She'd also make it more fluid since she'd be an easy target and she could more easily pass over defenders to find players cutting for basket for easy shots.

We've always had a short bench, but this year we've struggled to get meaningful minutes from them. Even with kids as well conditioned as ours, that has to be taking a toll.

Let me sum up by saying I get that we only have one loss to really good Baylor team that was a miserable match up for us, but something isn't quite right. I'd be curious to hear what others are seeing.
Point #2 and point #3 are closely interrelated. Bad passes lead to steals. My guess is that they just have not learned each other's tendencies yet. MW and CW are really new to the party. It will get better as we approach March.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What is most significant in perception about every 'last year's team' and 'this years team' is that the memory of last years team is of the final product, the NCAA ready team that had already played 33 or so games of the regular season and the conference tournament and the first 4 rounds of the NCAA and had 100s of hours of practice over 6 months. This years team and particularly at this particular moment in time, has played a total of 17 games of which a total of 5 have been home games. They have rarely been on campus for practice for a whole week since the season began, and are currently completely out of any rhythm in terms of their life - today they will return to Storrs and soon go to their first classes of the second semester and get into a much more regulated class/practice/game rhythm which will probably help smooth out the product on the floor.

They will also play 11 of their next 13 games against American Conf. opponents and should be able to improve their statistics while playing 7 home games to 6 road games.

Question: Does any other P5 or top 25 team play only 12 regular season games at home? I would be surprised if any do outside the occasional mid major ranked team.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

1. Lack of ball movement
2. Bad passes

b. Lack of subs?

I agree with @CocoHusky. Gabby and Kia were two of the best defenders in UConn history. It stood to reason that this year's team would be less formidable on defense than last year's. But I'm not sure anyone expected the difference to be this huge.

Today's 3rd quarter, in which UConn gave up 25 points to a 4-12 Temple team, is just the latest sign that the defense is a country mile behind the UConn defenses of recent years. Can they improve? Of course. Can they improve enough in time for the NCAAs? We'll see...

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
So UCONN is 16-1 but their style points are down? :(:oops::eek::confused:...:D

Clearly, the level of play is not up to recent year's standards.

The first requirement is to be able to accept that.
In other posts I have voiced some concerns about individuals in the starting 5. Not going to beat a dead horse reiterating those.

UC's point is excellent...hard to improve/practice meaningfully on the road.

Not mentioned (and very, very politically sensitive) are the changes in the coaching...both assignments and how much was lost by Shea's semi-absence both in recruiting and guard play.
And Marissa may be a bigger loss than previously understood.

There were changes (coaching)...and the team's play is not as crisp
That is an association, not directly causal, but may be part of the
issue, nevertheless.

The jury is (very much) still out on the underclassmen and whether they can grab the team by its proverbial's (very much required by tourney time and for sure, next season).

Reaction Score
D-E-F-E-N-S-E! UCONN has graduated three consecutive NATIONAL DPOY. I'm not even sure a UCONN player will win the AAC DPOY this season.
I agree. Their interior D is very soft. IMO, teams are doing them a favor by shooting a lot of 3s. I’d pound the gut and the blocks all night.

Reaction Score
Defensively this years team is not like last years team, no Kia and Gabby
Offensively this team is not flowing like last years te due in large part to Gabby
Better passing lead to less turnovers last year vs a lot of poor passesthis year
This just means a lot of closer games this year and greater odds that we will have more losses.
Hopefully they tighten things up as much as possible to make a run at the prize

Reaction Score
So UCONN is 16-1 but their style points are down? :(:oops::eek::confused:...:D
I enjoying seeing this team win as much as anyone else but I believe that it was the UConn style of beautiful team basketball that made many of us fans of the team in the first place. For years I’ve been telling people to watch the UConn women if they want to see some really well played ball but I stopped doing that this season. I’ll always remain a loyal fan but I hope to see that beautiful UConn style of ball return someday soon. Let’s remember that it was not only UConn’s winning ways but Geno’s and UConn’s style of basketball that brought so many new fans to the women’s game.

Reaction Score

And it was on the road.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
What is most significant in perception about every 'last year's team' and 'this years team' is that the memory of last years team is of the final product, the NCAA ready team that had already played 33 or so games of the regular season and the conference tournament and the first 4 rounds of the NCAA and had 100s of hours of practice over 6 months. This years team and particularly at this particular moment in time, has played a total of 17 games of which a total of 5 have been home games. They have rarely been on campus for practice for a whole week since the season began, and are currently completely out of any rhythm in terms of their life - today they will return to Storrs and soon go to their first classes of the second semester and get into a much more regulated class/practice/game rhythm which will probably help smooth out the product on the floor.

They will also play 11 of their next 13 games against American Conf. opponents and should be able to improve their statistics while playing 7 home games to 6 road games.

Question: Does any other P5 or top 25 team play only 12 regular season games at home? I would be surprised if any do outside the occasional mid major ranked team.
Agreed, on the road they do not have the practice players (men) to practice against. I am wondering if the practice players are around during the semester break???

Reaction Score
D-E-F-E-N-S-E! UCONN has graduated three consecutive NATIONAL DPOY. I'm not even sure a UCONN player will win the AAC DPOY this season.

This is dead on. We are not forcing turnovers which lead to easy fast break points. Looking Kia and Gabby and adding a novice in CW is really evident. Now thats not CW fault, she will learn and become a great husky.

The other thing that single handedly has killed us is AS bolting for the pro's. I think AS leaving will directly cause us not to win the NC this year.

I think when you combine the two points I mentioned above its causing us not to be the uconn team we want it to be....

Reaction Score
;)
I'd be curious to hear what others are seeing.
NO BIG..... short and simple, pun intended. Low post D (blocked shots) rebounds and outlet passes of teams with centers past are not here.
Becca, Jamelle, Swin, Tina, Steff ....etc .. Team is all guards and forwards without a center, second year now. Looking at the past good things but not great were accomplished with out a center.

Reaction Score

1. Lack of ball movement
2. Bad passes

b. Lack of subs?

First , the sit

1. Lack of ball movement
2. Bad passes

b. Lack of subs?

Tip of the cap for not framing that post in terms of blame.

But the eyeball test results are correct.

Fact is we were spoiled - and Gabby spoiled us - she was one of the most visually stunning players to watch - with or with the ball - on every square inch of the court.

Our eyes haven’t adjusted yet.

Also, they’re not a particularly physical team, so when the opposition goes physical, they look different then what we’re used to seeing.

I see most of the responses focus on the underclasswomen - this is not fair or even reasonable IMO.

Players graduate every year - they are not supposed to be replaced by freshmen - they’re supposed to be replaced, in certain things - by the new seniors.

BTW -This team is missing a transfer who I suspect said one thing and then did another. And another player who couldn’t follow the rules and is contributing for another team now.
So I consider them 2 talented players short from what was expected.

The “free passes” are being handed out to the wrong folks around here - but as the coach says in so many words - It just not who they are - so it is what it is.

So Boo Hoo...... I’m going to go waaay out on a limb and say the sun will continue to come up in the morning.

Watching talented kids grow up is still fun to watch.

Reaction Score
IMO, it’s because the talent and maturity of the two starters that graduated was not replaced by the two new starters. The magic and chemistry they had last year has not been recaptured to this point. CL, you and I for the most part are looking at this through the same lens. Your post is spot on.

Jumping in here, remembering how it takes some players longer to make major contributions; Danger breaking out early, then having to wait to make a similar, or consistent contribution. But CW had that great game against ND, the difference maker that night. Then she plays 14 minutes against Temple, two less than ONO; what was that about? I'd love to think Geno was just resting her because of the arduous road trip. When I take over the team I'll tell Williams to attack, dish and have fun. But don't forget defense. Maybe later.

Reaction Score
First , the sit

Tip of the cap for not framing that post in terms of blame.

But the eyeball test results are correct.

Fact is we were spoiled - and Gabby spoiled us - she was one of the most visually stunning players to watch - with or with the ball - on every square inch of the court.

Our eyes haven’t adjusted yet.

Also, they’re not a particularly physical team, so when the opposition goes physical, they look different then what we’re used to seeing.

I see most of the responses focus on the underclasswomen - this is not fair or even reasonable IMO.

Players graduate every year - they are not supposed to be replaced by freshmen - they’re supposed to be replaced, in certain things - by the new seniors.

BTW -This team is missing a transfer who I suspect said one thing and then did another. And another player who couldn’t follow the rules and is contributing for another team now.
So I consider them 2 talented players short from what was expected.

The “free passes” are being handed out to the wrong folks around here - but as the coach says in so many words - It just not who they are - so it is what it is.

So Boo Hoo. I’m going to go waaay out on a limb and say the sun will continue to come up in the morning.

Watching talented kids grow up is still fun to watch.
Thank you for saying what no one seems to want to say out loud. Geno invested in a transfer who got two years of coaching. He was counting on her experience and height this year. She chose to cash in on that coaching a year early and left the team with out that experience in the middle.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Jumping in here, remembering how it takes some players longer to make major contributions; Danger breaking out early, then having to wait to make a similar, or consistent contribution. But CW had that great game against ND, the difference maker that night. Then she plays 14 minutes against Temple, two less than ONO; what was that about? I'd love to think Geno was just resting her because of the arduous road trip. When I take over the team I'll tell Williams to attack, dish and have fun. But don't forget defense. Maybe later.
Foul trouble. CW eventually fouled out with 2 minutes left in the game, but she sat on the bench earlier in the game due to early foul trouble.

Reaction Score
Uconn has the talent to win it all - They just need more playing time together - Hope the remaining games will give them enough time to jell - The clock is ticking

Reaction Score
I enjoying seeing this team win as much as anyone else but I believe that it was the UConn style of beautiful team basketball that made many of us fans of the team in the first place. For years I’ve been telling people to watch the UConn women if they want to see some really well played ball but I stopped doing that this season. I’ll always remain a loyal fan but I hope to see that beautiful UConn style of ball return someday soon. Let’s remember that it was not only UConn’s winning ways but Geno’s and UConn’s style of basketball that brought so many new fans to the women’s game.

Your post expresses exactly my feeling: I don't enjoy watching games this year. Most of you seem content that the team is winning. Who isn't? Did you really think we couldn't beat USF? But the pleasure of watching basketball played at the highest level is gone. Geno would be the first to say that winning isn't the whole object, playing well is as important. He's never happy watching the mess this team often seems to be--win or lose. After Baylor, Coach said he didn't think the offense could be so bad.
No one can say at this point if the team will become what U Conn has always been. It's difficult to see this group winning the NC under the present circumstances. Past disappointments have been the result of the Huskies not playing their best, but this team's "best" may not be able to compensate for its shortcomings. The thought of Lou and 'Pheesa graduating is too painful to contemplate because there's not much waiting in the wings.
I know you all prefer upbeat posts; sometimes they're hard to generate. Sorry.

Reaction Score
Your post expresses exactly my feeling: I don't enjoy watching games this year. Most of you seem content that the team is winning. Who isn't? Did you really think we couldn't beat USF? But the pleasure of watching basketball played at the highest level is gone. Geno would be the first to say that winning isn't the whole object, playing well is as important. He's never happy watching the mess this team often seems to be--win or lose. After Baylor, Coach said he didn't think the offense could be so bad.
No one can say at this point if the team will become what U Conn has always been. It's difficult to see this group winning the NC under the present circumstances. Past disappointments have been the result of the Huskies not playing their best, but this team's "best" may not be able to compensate for its shortcomings. The thought of Lou and 'Pheesa graduating is too painful to contemplate because there's not much waiting in the wings.
I know you all prefer upbeat posts; sometimes they're hard to generate. Sorry.
If you don't enjoy it and the pleasure is gone, why are you still watching the games? There must be some good movies on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom